Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Ultimately I think Monster was a great series, but the author definitely has a problem with just loving ending things. Same thing happens with 20th Century Boys.

Pacing-wise, is Monster a better read or watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pacing-wise, is Monster a better read or watch?

I'd say it's a better watch, because the show can use the slow pace to create dramatic tension better. But it's probably a matter of preference.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Well, sometimes it's the publishers being jackasses and not letting the creator end things. I'm pretty sure Frieza was supposed to be the original end point of Dragonball Z, or maybe even the first Vegeta fight.

That's actually a popular rumor, but it's more complicated than that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say it's a better watch, because the show can use the slow pace to create dramatic tension better. But it's probably a matter of preference.

So volume 9 over. The story didn't hit an astounding climax as Tenma was about to finally get Johan.

It probably sounds like I'm not enjoying it but I can't actually put the drat thing down. I've read 9 volumes since Sunday. It may be a little repetitive but I want to see where it all ends up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well slap my rear end and call me Charlene.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think Pluto is the only Urasawa manga I've read that didn't go on too long.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Pluto is the best of his I've read, but Monster does end strong, as opposed to 20th Century Boys' protracted wheeze.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I felt Monster was too long and kept not ending, but when I re-read it years later it went by at a brisk pace and I thought it was pretty much perfect.

I think the lesson is when you're not super anxious to get to the big reveal RIGHT NOW, and instead see the series as a Japanese The Fugitive, things get a lot better.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I think as well it might be hurt by binge reading it. The series can get a little repetitive but there's always enough little progress that I feel it never really bogs itself down. And I think it manages to hit the ending pretty well. I liked reading better than watching, but both are worth it in the end. I was going to defend the end of 20th century boys, but honestly I can't really remember how it ends so yeah it was pretty underwhelming (which is a shame because overall it was solid but way too long).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just wrapped up Monster and while it had it's slow bits it definitely was a really good read. What's 20th Century Boys about? I hear good things about it too.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Len posted:

Just wrapped up Monster and while it had it's slow bits it definitely was a really good read. What's 20th Century Boys about? I hear good things about it too.

It's about rock 'n roll, a cult of personality aiming for world domination, a group of friends reuniting as adults to stop said cult, a giant death machine, an old homeless man that can see the future, bowling, the 1970(?) World's Fair in Japan...and on and on and on.

It's awesomeness is tempered by an ending that I found almost incomprehensible, but the rest of the ride is great.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

But if you read it, make sure you read 21st Century Boys so you get the complete ending!

I would say jump to Pluto after Monster, just because it is a shorter, tighter read than the somewhat rambling 20th Century Boys. I wish I could legally purchase an english translation of Billy Bat.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Dr. Hurt posted:

But if you read it, make sure you read 21st Century Boys so you get the complete ending!

I would say jump to Pluto after Monster, just because it is a shorter, tighter read than the somewhat rambling 20th Century Boys. I wish I could legally purchase an english translation of Billy Bat.

Has Billy Bat ended already? I kind of stopped reading after it was revealed that JFK was assassinated becaused Notmickey was on the dark side of the moon and then there was some Iga ninja in Edo period protecting some scroll with presumably Notmickey drawn on it and got some heavy end-of-20thcenturyboys vibes from that. I can usually follow some pretty complicated and nonlinear stories (GitS Man-Machine interface for example. Also Hotline MIami 2's plot on video game side), but Billy Bat was a mess. If it gets better and has a decent ending, I might pick it up again, because the premise and the beginning were intriguing.

20th Century Boys has probably the strongest beginning of all Urasawa stories and it keeps it up pretty well, but the last third or so is completely unnecessary and Urasawa writes himself into a corner so badly he has to make another series to try and make some sense of it. Didn't work IMO. Despite all that, I still like it and it's definitely worth a read.

As a whole, Pluto is his strongest and tightest work. It's based on one particular chapter of Astro Boy, but you don't really need to know anything about it. The story has retained some elements of the original, but for example the roles of the characters have been switched around and the story has been significantly expanded. It is a real work of art in its own right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I believe it's been mentioned recently but there's a new manga in town, Shiori Experience, and it's about a 27-year-old schoolteacher in Japan who, after someone makes a devil's pact for killer guitar skills, she is mistakenly targeted by the pact and haunted by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix. The terms of the contract: if she does not become a guitar legend before she turns older than 27, she will join The 27 Club. It's a pretty awesome series with great art so far with a handful of chapters out.

It's as of yet unlicensed, the first two volumes can be found on Amazon in Japanese only.

I really hope this series gets an anime adaptation, but I feel like music licensing issues would prevent it from ever happening.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The newest volume of I Am a Hero just was uploaded. Been so long that the ADTRW thread is locked. If anyone was following it, go nuts and then get ready to wait another year for new content.

http://bato.to/read/_/334489/i-am-a-hero_v16_ch180_by_illuminati-manga

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The newest volume of I Am a Hero just was uploaded. Been so long that the ADTRW thread is locked. If anyone was following it, go nuts and then get ready to wait another year for new content.

http://bato.to/read/_/334489/i-am-a-hero_v16_ch180_by_illuminati-manga

It was licensed, so you might wait a lot longer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well poo poo, that was a rather abrupt end for Oda. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HOLY loving poo poo CHAPTER 190. HOLY poo poo!

That might be the most plot-important chapter in the entire series so far. Jesus. I'm trying to think of another similar series that went in this direction but nothing's coming to mind.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe it's been mentioned recently but there's a new manga in town, Shiori Experience, and it's about a 27-year-old schoolteacher in Japan who, after someone makes a devil's pact for killer guitar skills, she is mistakenly targeted by the pact and haunted by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix. The terms of the contract: if she does not become a guitar legend before she turns older than 27, she will join The 27 Club. It's a pretty awesome series with great art so far with a handful of chapters out.

It's as of yet unlicensed, the first two volumes can be found on Amazon in Japanese only.

I really hope this series gets an anime adaptation, but I feel like music licensing issues would prevent it from ever happening.

I'm a sucker for music-related stuff and these gently caress-japanese-high-school slice of life things so this was a pro-click.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah I love just watching Jimmi hang out in the background. I am definitely going to pick up the books if they ever get licensed in the US.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dias posted:

I'm a sucker for music-related stuff and these gently caress-japanese-high-school slice of life things so this was a pro-click.

Have you tried reading Solanin? It's a single omnibus and a really good slice-of-life manga.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried reading Solanin? It's a single omnibus and a really good slice-of-life manga.

See, I picked that one up because someone said something in a thread here, read five or so chapters, liked it quite a bit, closed the browser, went to bed and completely forgot the name of the fuckin' thing so thank you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't really like solanin. Maybe I'm too jaded and saw exactly where it was going and was disappointed it didn't deviate from that.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

HOLY loving poo poo CHAPTER 190. HOLY poo poo!

That might be the most plot-important chapter in the entire series so far. Jesus. I'm trying to think of another similar series that went in this direction but nothing's coming to mind.

Chapter 190 spoilers I was confused. Do you really think this is an alien invasion or the ranting of a lunatic?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Chapter 190 spoilers I was confused. Do you really think this is an alien invasion or the ranting of a lunatic?

It fits with the reveal, so I'm going for option 1.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As an aside: I'm amazed by how good the Italian is in this series. It's 100% correct both in grammar and spelling, you can only tell it's written by a foreigner because it uses no slang and the like. (The translation is wrong in some places, but that's probably due to the Japanese text saying different things than the Italian.)

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Mikl posted:

As an aside: I'm amazed by how good the Italian is in this series. It's 100% correct both in grammar and spelling, you can only tell it's written by a foreigner because it uses no slang and the like. (The translation is wrong in some places, but that's probably due to the Japanese text saying different things than the Italian.)

There's no slang because the Italians in Jojo are gentlemen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SalTheBard posted:

It's more that there's a collective consciousness controlling the zombies like a hive mind, and that they're stuck in a semi delusional state, most not even realizing they're zombies. It's been hinted at before but not outright shown until now. Also, the horrific hive-amalgamations and a straight up giant tree-thing made of zombies is a really creative and terrifying design. Whether it's aliens or not, well, we'll have to see.

It feels like it's going in a similar direction as fort of the apocalypse in terms of the evolution aspect, but...hmmm...much less anime about it, I guess?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

It's more that there's a collective consciousness controlling the zombies like a hive mind, and that they're stuck in a semi delusional state, most not even realizing they're zombies. It's been hinted at before but not outright shown until now. Also, the horrific hive-amalgamations and a straight up giant tree-thing made of zombies is a really creative and terrifying design. Whether it's aliens or not, well, we'll have to see.

It feels like it's going in a similar direction as fort of the apocalypse in terms of the evolution aspect, but...hmmm...much less anime about it, I guess?

Chapter 190 spoilers The reveal that they were all zombies was horrific. I thought we had a new group of survivors to see from but then drat :( It also makes sense why the zombies have a sort of schedule as was alluded to earlier in the series

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 27, 2015

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

http://bato.to/read/_/89041/i-am-a-hero_v5_ch57_by_illuminati-manga

His theory (and his opinion on Independence Day) both seem to come from a few posts on 2chan. I'm leaning towards option 2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blazing Ninjaman is a hilarious homage to manga of the seventies and eighties. It's about a boy who starts an unauthorized ninja club at his high school, and ends up fighting against the ninjas of other schools. There's less than twenty chapters right now, but it's an ongoing, so it's a great time to check it out. It's still a comedy, but the stakes are being raised.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I've just finished reading Gantz and Battle Royale (also loving "I am a Hero"), I kind of like these gory action stories with a good premise , can you recommend me anything?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Manwithastick posted:

I've just finished reading Gantz and Battle Royale (also loving "I am a Hero"), I kind of like these gory action stories with a good premise , can you recommend me anything?

Eden It's An Endless World by Hiroki Endo is worth a look.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Assuming you haven't given them a whirl already, Berserk, Claymore, and Attack on Titan fall squarely into the "humans are the mooks" slaughterfests. Terra ForMars might scratch the itch too, but note it puts both the "dumb" and "fun" in "dumb fun".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Manwithastick posted:

I won't suggest Berserk because there's a high likelihood of it never getting finished, the author takes incredibly long breaks, sometimes only putting out a handful of chapters a year and apparently they've been stuck on a boat for years now due to the slow update schedule.

Vinland Saga, Vinland Saga, Vinland Saga. The story is outstanding, the characters are amazing, the artwork is incredible, and the violence is teeth-clenchingly detailed and horrific at times. There's very few "good" people here, after all, they're loving vikings, with all that entails. There's one arc that is very slow(you'll know it when you reach it) but trust me, the payoff's totally worth it.

You could try Parasyte. It's extremely violent in an 80's/90's style of anime violence, dismemberment, etc. It's about parasitic worms that appear and consume the brains of their human victims, assuming their form and preying on humans, and one parasite fails to get inside his target's head and instead infects his arm, resulting in a forced symbiotic relationship. Kind of an Odd Couple-esque pairing except one's a sociopathic, possibly alien organism, and the other's a teenager. Other parasites can sense that Migi(the decided on name for the parasite in his hand) failed to destroy the brain of his human host, gory-rear end hijinks ensue.

Spirit Circle has kind of a cutesy shonen artstyle but boy howdy is it incredibly dark and violent. I can't really go into details without also going into massive spoilers, but give it a read, it's very very good.

The Town Where Only I Am Missing is a murder mystery/thriller that can get considerably violent at times.

Akumetsu is actiony as gently caress. Literally heads exploding every chapter or two. The "hero" is a dude who can, supposedly, reincarnate, and goes around assassinating corrupt politicians in extremely public and showily violent fashions. It's not top shelf but it's got some fantastic moments.

Fort of the Apocalypse is a zombie series kinda like if I Am A Hero shacked up with Scooby Doo. You've got your goofy idiot cast of violent lunatics with a scaredy cat new kid in a juvenile prison when the zombie apocalypse breaks out. The zombies are suitably hosed up and some of my favorite designs for zombie creatures, the story is pretty interesting for a zombie series(and I feel like IAAH cribbed some of it for itself), and there's some real body horror going on.

Knights of Sidonia is a story about a colony ship fleeing the galaxy after humanity and earth was annihilated from an alien attack by the "Gauna", massive cosmic horror creatures that can adapt to basically anything. They're kinda like biological-style borg, and they're ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. Great artwork too.

I've linked to places to read all of these in the various samplers, so throw'em on the reading list if you're able. And grab a Crunchyroll sub, you get access to a shitload of series with an anime sub which is what, seven bucks a month? Not bad at all, and the manga app is pretty nice too. Browser version is poo poo, though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Captain Invictus posted:

I won't suggest Berserk because there's a high likelihood of it never getting finished, the author takes incredibly long breaks, sometimes only putting out a handful of chapters a year and apparently they've been stuck on a boat for years now due to the slow update schedule.

They've promised that'll it'll be monthly starting now. They wouldn't lie to us again.

:(

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Manwithastick posted:

In addition to what's been posted, check out Fist of the North Star and Vagabond.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They've promised that'll it'll be monthly starting now. They wouldn't lie to us again.

:(

Even if it's never going to be finished, Berserk is still my favourite manga ever by a LONGSHOT. I can understand the frustration, but I don't think it's a good reason to just plain avoid reading it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If One Piece up and stopped updating altogether tomorrow, despite being my favorite manga by a long shot and having some amazing storylines in it, I would still tell folks to not read it because it was never finished.

Fort of the Apocalypse was very clearly cancelled, and it makes it much more difficult for me to recommend it even if it has an "ending".

I'm not saying that the ending is the most important part, but rather, I don't like incomplete stories as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Berserk isn't likely to get an ending, but at this point it's been running for more than 25 years; ending or not there's 37 volumes of high-quality action material that people should look at.