Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have experience with the Cold Steel polypropylene wasters? I was thinking about getting one or two, but thought I'd check around first.

The wasters are ok for basic drills and that's about it. They're the cheapest wasters on the market (that I know of) and they're virtually indestructible.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit sidelining the topic, but does anyone know any good sources on medieval/Renaissance Italian governments? Specifically monarchies like the Duchy of Milan.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 29, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Horrible music, but the stuff is enjoyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AepYM508eg

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is a bit sidelining the topic, but does anyone know any good sources on medieval/Renaissance Italian governments? Specifically monarchies like the Duchy of Milan.

There is a very wide variety. Do you want something that compares or monographs?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Obdicut posted:

There is a very wide variety. Do you want something that compares or monographs?

Both would probably be good - I'd like something that outlines how government was structured and how they functioned. Listings and explanations of government offices and departments would be nice.

The bureaucracy, the development of absolutism, and the patronage of learning would be interesting topics.

e: And they should be easily accessible (physically speaking), whether books or journals.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 29, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
quote is not edit

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Can you read Italian?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Obdicut posted:

Can you read Italian?

No.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Question for the armor experts here. I've recently look at some articles about islamic armor and wondered about the lack of mentioning cloth armor worn underneath (or over). This seems quite counterintuitive to what I learned so far about how well this combo works.

I can't pick up Elgood's Islamic arms and armor atm, does anyone know something more specific?

Somebody suggested that mail worn without padding wouldn't be so unusual, pointing to this image from the Maciejowski bible, supposedly the guy taking off his mail on the right should bring across the point. Green socks right next to him wears the same type of cloth armor underneath the mail that blueshirt to the right carries away. Don't find that all especially representative for the point.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Do you mean primary?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JaucheCharly posted:

Question for the armor experts here. I've recently look at some articles about islamic armor and wondered about the lack of mentioning cloth armor worn underneath (or over). This seems quite counterintuitive to what I learned so far about how well this combo works.

I can't pick up Elgood's Islamic arms and armor atm, does anyone know something more specific?

Somebody suggested that mail worn without padding wouldn't be so unusual, pointing to this image from the Maciejowski bible, supposedly the guy taking off his mail on the right should bring across the point. Green socks right next to him wears the same type of cloth armor underneath the mail that blueshirt to the right carries away. Don't find that all especially representative for the point.

I have never heard of islamic armour being worn without padding, and can think of at least one type of armour, the kazaghand, that is generally associated with Islamic regions and by definition has a padding component.

Aside from the fact that one image in the Maciejowski is not particularly representative, whoever is interpreting that image is sorely mistaken. That guy is not taking off armour but putting it on. You don't take mail off standing up, because then you're fighting gravity in a confined position, which sucks. This is what taking mail off looks like, from the same dang source:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

You could try 'Communes and Despots: The City State in Late-Medieval Italy' by Jones, but it's in the transactions of the royal historical society.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

JaucheCharly posted:

Horrible music, but the stuff is enjoyable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AepYM508eg

That's my hometown! I always recommend the place to people who visit, but haven't been there in ages. I remember some of the tours letting you try on some of the armor to demonstrate that it's really not that heavy and cumbersome as depicted in popular culture.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Cue gruesome cracking of the glue, fear of the bow exploding and knocking out your teeth.

Looks weird, but it's ok.

Left limb is not aligned. Back to heat treatment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

Cue gruesome cracking of the glue, fear of the bow exploding and knocking out your teeth.

Looks weird, but it's ok.

Left limb is not aligned. Back to heat treatment.

That will be so badass. When will you have the finished product? When will you post a video firing it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Disinterested posted:

You could try 'Communes and Despots: The City State in Late-Medieval Italy' by Jones, but it's in the transactions of the royal historical society.

Sadly it's behind a paywall at Jstor.

But I ended up finding one book that seems to fit, A Renaissance Court: Milan Under Galeazzo Maria Sforza.

e: Yes, even lists of ducal officials, the most exciting part of history

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 30, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
One or two weeks, depending how effective the adjustments are. Could also be a month. Things might take a while, because I have no idea how strong it will be and the arrows need to match the bow (don't have arrows for such a strong bow). Judging from today and from it's weight (317g), it could be north of 70#. If I'm able to pull it, I'll make a video.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

One or two weeks, depending how effective the adjustments are. Could also be a month. Things might take a while, because I have no idea how strong it will be and the arrows need to match the bow (don't have arrows for such a strong bow). Judging from today and from it's weight (317g), it could be north of 70#. If I'm able to pull it, I'll make a video.

Sounds like you need to start doing pull-ups. Good luck

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I have never heard of islamic armour being worn without padding, and can think of at least one type of armour, the kazaghand, that is generally associated with Islamic regions and by definition has a padding component.

Aside from the fact that one image in the Maciejowski is not particularly representative, whoever is interpreting that image is sorely mistaken. That guy is not taking off armour but putting it on. You don't take mail off standing up, because then you're fighting gravity in a confined position, which sucks. This is what taking mail off looks like, from the same dang source:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tell me everything about halberds. They have spear, axe, and hook. Is there a more useful weapon for a barely trained soldier to face any enemy with, or is it the ultimate peasant arm before gunpowder?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pharmaskittle posted:

Tell me everything about halberds. They have spear, axe, and hook. Is there a more useful weapon for a barely trained soldier to face any enemy with, or is it the ultimate peasant arm before gunpowder?
Halberds may be God's perfect weapon. I sparred with a friend of mine last weekend where I had a sword and he had a halberd and there seems to be very little you can do to avoid getting your weapon completely owned by those hooks. You can also use the staff like a quarterstaff, and when a halberd guy faces a pikeman a great thing to do is trap the pike's staff against the earth with one of the hooks then pivot off that and drive the butt end into the pikeman's face. So good.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Wish my hema club did more stuff with staff weapons

edit: serious moustache envy

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Halberds belong to a category of combination polearms that also includes the bill, glaive, guisarme, voulge, and others. Arguably, percussion weapons like the lucerne hammer and others are also in that group. These weapons are usually stated as having their origin as agricultural tools, which is particularly obvious in the case of the bill, which is pretty much a modification of a hedging and pruning tool called a billhook, mounted to a pole.

Here's your tool billhooks, courtesy of billhooks.co.uk (but rehosted to imgur)

and here's some weaponized bills

Obviously it has some improvements to increase its effectiveness for killing people, but it's still recognizably the same thing. The bill was considered a characteristically English weapon in a sense similar to the quarterstaff and longbow. England was actually still trying to hang on to the longbow and bill into the era of pike and shot. Had the Spanish Armada managed to get Farnese's men across the channel into England in 1588, he would have kicked the poo poo out of an army armed predominantly with longbows and bills.

Anyway, that's the English version. The principle is simple and effective so there was parallel evolution in a lot of different places. The halberd was most closely associated with the Swiss, and the word specifically refers to a pole weapon with an axe, a reverse spike or fluke, and a long spike or spearhead for thrusting:

You have a weapon that can be thrust, swung with great force to crush or pierce armor, or used to hook and entangle enemies or their weapons. The sheer reach of the weapon is also important, because it gives the soldier a huge advantage against someone with a shorter weapon, like a sword, and it allows him to maintain distance to protect himself. That's a particular asset for infantry, who tend to not be nearly as well armored as knights.

However, by the renaissance period knights fighting on foot tended to prefer their own version of this kind of weapon, the pollaxe, which can embrace a variety of different design features (e.g. a hammer instead of an axe, a butt-spike for thrusting while held reversed, etc.) but is mechanically very similar to the above-described weapons. It's also very debatable whether the poleaxe originated out of those polearms, or if it was just another case of parallel evolution. Not sure it matters. One of the main differences was probably in how the weapons were used, because the pollaxe was characteristically a knightly weapon, and a knight fighting on foot in full harness doesn't have the same concerns as an infantryman who will likely be wearing much less protection.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

Had the Spanish Armada managed to get Farnese's men across the channel into England in 1588, he would have kicked the poo poo out of an army armed predominantly with longbows and bills.
Interestingly, though, you can loving wreck a pikeman's poo poo with a bill one-on-one. What they do is use the hook to trap the pikeshaft and pull it toward them.

Now I didn't see this personally, but I know a guy who saw a block of dudes with bills fight some pikemen, and he said they did very well because once you get inside a pikeman's reach you can do a lot of damage, and then that had a sort of...disorganizing effect on the formation in general. I assume though that what would happen in large formations is that the other pikemen would use their advantage in reach to protect the dudes who are being attacked next to them (or depending on how far they were apart, just back up a whole lot).

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 9, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Interestingly, though, you can loving wreck a pikeman's poo poo with a bill one-on-one. What they do is use the hook to trap the pikeshaft and pull it toward them.

Now I didn't see this personally, but I know a guy who saw a block of dudes with bills fight some pikemen, and he said they did very well because once you get inside a pikeman's reach you can do a lot of damage, and then that had a sort of...disorganizing effect on the formation in general. I assume though that what would happen in large formations is that the other pikemen would use their advantage in reach to protect the dudes who are being attacked next to them (or depending on how far they were apart, just back up a whole lot).

How effective would the English longbows been compared to the Spanish muskets? Were the English using muskets at all or were they all in on the archery at that point?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Somebody or other posted about this a while back. I thought it might have been you, or maybe somebody else. But apparently pike formations usually included men with halberds or similar weapons (the Germans liked to use bidenhänders) who would try to close distance and get in the enemy block, in part by trying to break the pikes.

Pellisworth posted:

How effective would the English longbows been compared to the Spanish muskets? Were the English using muskets at all or were they all in on the archery at that point?

The English army was behind the curve in part because they hadn't yet transitioned to a standing royal army as the French and Spanish had done. They also didn't have huge piles of permanent mercenary companies for hire kicking around like the Germans and Italians. Instead, the king would simply raise an army as and when he needed it. In case of a sudden invasion he would be able to raise a militia pretty quickly. One of the effects of this is that there isn't anybody experimenting with modern tactics or procuring newfangled weapons in usefully large numbers.

But the major appeal the arquebus wasn't just that it was powerful, it was that the power could be applied by a guy who spent only a short amount of time training. England still had those laws on the books that required people to practice archery, so they had a ready supply of people who could shoot longbows, which was unusual. The characteristics of a longbow compare pretty favorably to early firearms. Range, accuracy, killing power, rate of fire, etc. are all pretty good. The main technical disadvantage is the logistical issue of arrows, which are very expensive and bulky in comparison to what you feed an arquebus. But if you already have the guys who can shoot them, longbows aren't that bad. As to the bills, the short reach would have been a problem as the Spanish tercios closed in. But we aren't really talking about a huge technological disparity that would have made the English incapable of even showing up at the fight. The issue is not so much that longbows and bills suck.

The English also adopted artillery pretty much as fast as everybody else. So all this isn't a huge problem. Henry VIII took an army mostly constituted from billmen and longbowmen to invade France a couple of times (1513 and 1544) and he did reasonably well against the French armies. Didn't really accomplish anything, but he didn't get his rear end kicked. Then again, the French were themselves a little slow to adapt to the pike-and-shot paradigm, and in the second invasion (1544) I think all their best guys were arrayed against the Spanish forces rather than against Henry. myarmoury has a little article about this--notably, Henry hired German pikemen and Spanish/Italian arquebusiers to fill out his ranks, so he appears to have known that a pile of billmen and bowmen wasn't going to cut the mustard.

As to what I said about the Armada, it's not so much a technological shortcoming. The Spanish were going to drop the Duke of Parma and the bulk of his army in southern England. Farnese was generally regarded as the finest general of the era and his troops were hardened veterans of his campaigns in the Netherlands. The whole series of events that led up to Anglo-Spanish hostilities and the Armada campaign was due in large part to Farnese absolutely kicking the poo poo out of the Dutch and recapturing what is now Belgium. Elizabeth I only had what forces she could throw together on short notice, to defend England against the hardest army under the best captain in Europe. Despite all the above about longbows and bills and muskets and pikes, the biggest problem might have been Farnese's cavalry, which was was excellent, against the English cavalry, which was few in number and probably nowhere near continental standards.

According to that article, this threat appears to have woken them up from complacency, because from the 1580s on the English get more serious about modernizing and adopting firearms.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone have experience with the Hanwei swords and trainers? I know the katanas used to get pretty good reviews, but I've not researched any of them lately.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

Somebody or other posted about this a while back. I thought it might have been you, or maybe somebody else. But apparently pike formations usually included men with halberds or similar weapons (the Germans liked to use bidenhänders) who would try to close distance and get in the enemy block, in part by trying to break the pikes.
Or rodeleros, who are good at pushing the pikes apart with their shields and wrecking poo poo in the space they created. You don't even have to cut the pikes (and honestly, trying would be a waste), all you do is push people apart, get inside their reach, and force them to disrupt their own formation to deal with you. (A great trick is to fill your front rank with dudes with alternative weapons, alternating with pikemen so each of them is next to a pikeman. That way the pike can cover for them while they do their thing. I've done this with a guy with a sword while he fought a guy with a partisan, all you do is tip the pike over his shoulder so he can run forward in the safe space you make for him. Fun as gently caress.)

Anyway, musket fire can punch through armor at the right range. Rodrigo Diaz posted some hard data on this in one of the threads a while back. I don't...think?...a bowman can do that.

quote:

The issue is not so much that longbows and bills suck.... The Spanish were going to drop the Duke of Parma and the bulk of his army in southern England. Farnese was generally regarded as the finest general of the era and his troops were hardened veterans of his campaigns in the Netherlands. The whole series of events that led up to Anglo-Spanish hostilities and the Armada campaign was due in large part to Farnese absolutely kicking the poo poo out of the Dutch and recapturing what is now Belgium. Elizabeth I only had what forces she could throw together on short notice, to defend England against the hardest army under the best captain in Europe.
And then there's that. In the period, experienced troops roll over inexperienced troops. Since people almost always don't drill yet, the way you learn is by watching the more experienced people and eventually picking things up. This takes a while. David Parrott has somethign on this in Richlieu's Army, which is on the 1620s to 1640s.

It's grognards all the way down.

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have experience with the Hanwei swords and trainers? I know the katanas used to get pretty good reviews, but I've not researched any of them lately.
cheap but bad

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 10, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

10 Beers posted:

The practical side sword is bad if you want to actually use it

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Just to let you know that the British Library is asking for help deciphering a sword inscription. All the information is in the first post of this thread (with link to British Library page):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735540

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

Despite all the above about longbows and bills and muskets and pikes, the biggest problem might have been Farnese's cavalry, which was was excellent, against the English cavalry, which was few in number and probably nowhere near continental standards.
there's a long-rear end time in the early modern where english people make great soldiers as long as they're in an army that knows what it's doing but england as such consistently sucks.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

cheap but bad

Rabhadh posted:

The practical side sword is bad if you want to actually use it

Well, hell. Thanks guys. I'd like something I could use for press drills and light sparring, time to save up, I suppose!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've seen the guard of the practical side sword get loose very quickly and deform after a few hits. You're always better off spending the extra money on a sword that'll hold up to full contact stuff.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Rabhadh posted:

I've seen the guard of the practical side sword get loose very quickly and deform after a few hits. You're always better off spending the extra money on a sword that'll hold up to full contact stuff.

Yeah, you're right, really. Are the ideal vendors still Albion and Arms and Armor?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

there's a long-rear end time in the early modern where english people make great soldiers as long as they're in an army that knows what it's doing but england as such consistently sucks.

Why are they considered great soldiers? I can understand why English armies suck (being on a island leaves you a bit out of practice) but what qualities were English soldiers said to have?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

Why are they considered great soldiers? I can understand why English armies suck (being on a island leaves you a bit out of practice) but what qualities were English soldiers said to have?
off the top of my head, they were supposed to be hardy and capable, "stout fighters." Racism in the modern sense isn't really a thing yet but there are a bunch of ethnic stereotypes floating around, like how French soldiers were supposed to be impulsive, self-sacrificing, brave, and heroic, which is good, but also suffer from "a lack of resilience and acceptance of hardship, reluctance to persist after the first effort, and reluctance to accept discipline." The Spanish are supposedly the best soldiers around but there are so few of them on the market that they can get difficult to hire.

look at this poo poo, it's like he's talking about the price of fruit or something

Edit: Italian officers are prized if you're a Hapsburg power; Italian common soldiers are freaking everywhere if you're the Spanish army but can become unreliable when the weather gets cold

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 10, 2015

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

10 Beers posted:

Yeah, you're right, really. Are the ideal vendors still Albion and Arms and Armor?

I have seen several people use Hanwei's practical bastard sword to great effect. As mentioned before its a bit on the blade-heavy side but its quite durable and holds up well against Albion or A&A. KOA has them for sale:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2428&name=Hanwei+Practical+Bastard+Sword

Its about the cheapest tool I've found that will hold up at all and isn't grossly disproportionate or unwieldy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This weekend at fechtschule frisbee I saw a historically accurate bodkin arrow fired at full draw from a 100lb longbow bounce clean off a piece of historically accurate plate armor. Twice. The arrow even had a steel tip, rather than the more common iron tips of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

This weekend at fechtschule frisbee I saw a historically accurate bodkin arrow fired at full draw from a 100lb longbow bounce clean off a piece of historically accurate plate armor. Twice. The arrow even had a steel tip, rather than the more common iron tips of the time.

But could it stop a katana???

• Locked thread