Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The crazy part is that for a second the driver hits 25 km/h (127 mph), and continues on at 190/118 after matching speeds.

That would scare me more than a helicopter tbh, some eastern european shitbox doing 120 down the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt it was a 2105 - they have all the same cars available as anywhere else in the world

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

N is for Nipples posted:

I didn't see the suggested time-stamp and watched the whole video - most suspenseful two minutes of my life. You know something's gonna go wrong, but not where or when.... until it does.

Everytime a new entity entered the screen, I held my breath in anticipation. It was like one of those police training videos where you're waiting for one of actors to stop playing 'businessman in suit' and pull a gun.

'Here's comes a bus, something's going to happen.....no....okay, but I bet this Lada will do something...'

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seeH56YVjt0

youtube posted:

The police were called, Showed them the footage. They issued two tickets to him. The insurance company said that he stated my grandmother backed into his car.

I supplied them with the video and police report.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Yeah, the guy with the dashcam was speeding, but what about the guy in front of him? He has all over the road, straddling both lanes, and never using a directional to indicate he's going around power lines. I expect this kind of driving in the city, but not in the wide open spaces of the country. He may have been drunk?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dissss posted:

I doubt it was a 2105 - they have all the same cars available as anywhere else in the world

A 2105 can't hit even 110 km/h without the assistance of gravity and a tailwind. Nor, if you were a passenger, would you want it to.

Oh, the fun memories of driving from Havana to Varadero in a 2105 that smelled extremely strongly of petrol fumes the entire time. That little engine was screaming the entire way.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
These are the roads you share a car with.

http://imgur.com/a/Adw1e

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

antisodachrist posted:

Looks like some contractor gets to buy somebody a new car!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

antisodachrist posted:

#hellacrush?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Three people today. A grand Cherokee that had no time for our paltry merging and blew past everyone on the right shoulder. He was followed by a clueless lady from California (in Colorado), who did the same thing but without any of the gusto and basically ended up stuck there.

Third, my favorite, the enforcer. Right lane shut down for police activity at the top of a hill, the opposite side of a small valley on Kipling. Plenty of visibility for everyone to see its shut down so a lot of really early merging to the left. I'm like "forget all that" and hold in the right lane and I can see this guy straddling and preventing. I'm no hero, I'm not going to buzz around him while the goddamn swat team is in sight, but I'll hang there and gently merge in without touching the brakes, thanks bud. He looked so loving smug I hate him.

The late zipper merge, I get the controversy on a freeway, but condensing the traffic would have kept more intersections open without a doubt on this street. I sure as hell passed a lot of people, which was nice.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

antisodachrist posted:

Don't those steel plates weigh hundreds of pounds? How does that even

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Don't those steel plates weigh hundreds of pounds? How does that even

In order for them to be properly secured, the contractor needs to mill into the pavement so that the top of the plate is just below the road surface. If they fail to do that, all it really takes is someone hitting their brakes while on a plate, and it will slide right off of the hole it's covering.

No idea about where that is, but here, at the end of each working day the plates have to be placed into the 'milled' spot for them, and then temporary asphalt must be tamped into any remaining gap on all sides to form a smooth transition for cars to travel over it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

No idea about where that is, but here, at the end of each working day the plates have to be placed into the 'milled' spot for them, and then temporary asphalt must be tamped into any remaining gap on all sides to form a smooth transition for cars to travel over it.

Here it seems far more common for the plate to be just placed on top of the surface and asphalt placed around the edges to hold it in place and provide a sort of half-assed transition.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever gone over a plate like that without a sharp jolt right up my spine.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

That's hosed up, definitely makes me want to invest in a camera. I got hit in a somewhat similar fashion a few years back during a particularly bad winter - I was backed into a parking spot in front of my apartment and some idiot took a corner too fast, sliding in to the front of my car and the one next to it. Tried running but my alarm was blaring and they couldn't get any traction to maneuver out after the hit. That was a fun night and a few days without a car that I didn't really need.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Around here it depends on where you are in the metro. In the city, it's just a big plate throw over a hole. In the nicer suburbs, they'll actually take the time to make a temporary asphalt ramp to hold it in place and smooth it out.

From the photo, it even looks like there' supposed to be some bolts or something in there to hold it in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xergm posted:

From the photo, it even looks like there' supposed to be some bolts or something in there to hold it in.

Those are just the lifting attachment points. Can't move those things around without something to connect chains to.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There are two right turns that no one seems to get right and it always pisses me off. There is a lane for you, just go. Don't stop. There's no stop sign. There's no yield sign. JUST loving GO!

Winter Street from Wyman St in Waltham, MA

Rt. 2 from Main St in Concord, MA

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

There are two right turns that no one seems to get right and it always pisses me off. There is a lane for you, just go. Don't stop. There's no stop sign. There's no yield sign. JUST loving GO!

Winter Street from Wyman St in Waltham, MA

Rt. 2 from Main St in Concord, MA

We have some like that here that drive me up the wall because people will sit for minutes straight refusing to move until there's zero traffic coming.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
There is a right turn like this on my commute to work. The best thing to do is just hold the horn down until they get the picture.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Mandingo posted:

There is a right turn like this on my commute to work. The best thing to do is just hold the horn down until they get the picture.

I do this as well. You're holding up traffic!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I honk at people every day on the winter street one. They need to put up some sort of sign that people can ignore.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I honk at people every day on the winter street one. They need to put up some sort of sign that people can ignore.

We have a sign at the one near me and they still ignore it. I usually read the sign to them out the window as loud as I can

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know why people don't loving understand the "no really, you get your own lane!" sign. It's an incredibly clear depiction of the situation, and doesn't look similar to the yield or merge signs in the slightest.

Also: hey, construction guys, maybe if you need to move a giant fuckass piece of equipment around rush hour, you could put it on a flatbed or something instead of loving up one of the main routes into downtown with the implement in question doing 50 km/h under the limit with its flashers on and no advance warning of a slow-moving vehicle.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
How about someone obeying the signs so religiously. BC driver with the dreaded red L, comes to a stop at the "Prepare to Stop" sign instead of continuing down to the flag man. Don't know when someone was going to walk the 200 meters back to them to release them, but we weren't hanging around to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwQoiliyOk

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I had an interesting experience with a construction zone a few months ago where they were tearing up the road on the right side and were guiding traffic through in convoys back and forth through the remaining lane. I come up on the "Stop here and wait for the guide car" sign (it's past eleven at night, maybe 23:30) and there's no one at the stop. The guide car is parked on the side so i pull up and look inside and it's empty. There's a temporary traffic light that's showing green and no workers (or sign of any roadwork) as far as the eye can see. I wait a few minutes but since it's almost midnight i figure everyone has gone home and they just left the light on green to tell people to go ahead. So i do.

No construction in sight for a few kilometers then i come up on the gang. Roadrollers, asphalt layers and people working. To pass them i have to abandon the right lane and drive on the left, i can see quite far and just drive past. Don't get so much as a glance from the workers. As i leave the construction zone behind me driving on the left (smoking new asphalt on the right) i figure it's weird that they don't do the traffic guidance even though the workers are out on the road. Oh well, i'm past them so no harm. Then i see lights in the distance. Ah crap. I'm about 1 kilometer downrange form the asphalt laying machine and there's still a distinct heat shimmer on the right lane and i'm eye to eye with the convoy coming the other way. Convoy driver is clearly unimpressed and flashes his lights as if to say "you hosed up now and i'm not getting involved, you'll have to figure this out yourself." There's a barrier to the left and very fresh asphalt to the right, and about 3 - 4km of reversing behind me if i decide to go that way. gently caress it.

So i pull up into the right lane, drive past the convoy while waving like a moron, then pulls off again as soon as possible. Terrible smell in the car, ESC light on the dashboard and a deep hatred for whoever was responsible for that check point 4km south. The ESC cleared after about 15 minutes (and a restart) so i guess it was just the sensors spazzing out or someting. The smell cleared much slower. After i got home i checked the wheels and they didn't look burnt and hadn't grown in diameter so i guess i was fortunate in that regard.

If you don't want people to drive, don't leave an unattended green light on the road, jesus.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I'm kind of amazed they didn't set up a temporary automated light.

Most of the one lane construction projects I've seen in the last few years that are expected to take more than a week or so have forgone having a manual flagger stand by the road.

Instead they just set up temporary traffic lights that times each direction.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

antisodachrist posted:

And that's why I dare not drive over the damned things.

That, and they wreak havoc on my tires and suspension.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

antisodachrist posted:

There are some truly terrible road crews in the Atlanta metro area. There's one minor lightly-used road near my place that develops terrible potholes all the time. Last time they patched one of the big ones, in less that six months the patch literally fell apart all the way down to the road bed, and it's been like that for a year now. Guess it's easy to be the low bidder when you don't buy any binder for your asphalt. :downs: There was actually a crew working on that road the other day, but instead of fixing anything, they just jackhammered a gigantic foot-deep divot in one of the few sections that wasn't already falling apart and left it there uncovered.

It's also fun when they don't have the budget for proper signage. But hey, if you don't have any "Right Lane Closed" signs for the road construction project you've set up immediately beyond a blind curve, "Left Lane Closed" works just as well, right guys? :cripes:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32448103/mystery-artist-highlights-bury-potholes-with-penis-drawings

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

He calls himself Wanksy.

Our roads are horrendous.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yesterday evening, I was approaching an intersection. The road I was on was one-way, and had two lanes. It's also the lower level of a major road here, so there's practically no visibility at intersections. The right lane was jammed with people making a right to a major attraction, but the left lane (where I was) was clear. We had the green light.

A bicyclist peeked out from around the bridge support, decided he had time to run the red before I got to the intersection, and so he did. A second, seemingly less experienced bicyclist took this to mean "It's totally okay to run this light", so he popped out from behind the bridge support when I was maybe 30 feet from the intersection.

I stopped hard enough to lock up my tires, and he stopped right in front of me. His first instinct looked like it was going to be throwing himself off the bike away from me. The BMW behind me managed to stop without hitting me, and, being a BMW, got on his horn.

Fortunately I didn't kill this guy, and he was able to proceed through the intersection before me.

tl;dr: nearly squished an idiot on a bicycle.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Safety Dance posted:

Yesterday evening, I was approaching an intersection. The road I was on was one-way, and had two lanes. It's also the lower level of a major road here, so there's practically no visibility at intersections. The right lane was jammed with people making a right to a major attraction, but the left lane (where I was) was clear. We had the green light.

A bicyclist peeked out from around the bridge support, decided he had time to run the red before I got to the intersection, and so he did. A second, seemingly less experienced bicyclist took this to mean "It's totally okay to run this light", so he popped out from behind the bridge support when I was maybe 30 feet from the intersection.

I stopped hard enough to lock up my tires, and he stopped right in front of me. His first instinct looked like it was going to be throwing himself off the bike away from me. The BMW behind me managed to stop without hitting me, and, being a BMW, got on his horn.

Fortunately I didn't kill this guy, and he was able to proceed through the intersection before me.

tl;dr: nearly squished an idiot on a bicycle.

I almost took out a pedestrian who just shot out from between parked cars and didn't even look. I had no indication that he was even there until he was feet from me.

Good thing I was going 25 and was able to slow down enough.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Over here we had a young mother take herself and her kid in a pram out in front of a bus while she had the red light. The bus driver took her gesturing as "please move along, I'll wait because I have a red light and yours is green". Not enough room for the bus to stop when she suddenly rushed out in front of it. Luckily the buses have dashcams.

e: jesus christ, if you read anything about poo poo going down in an IKEA in Sweden, that's this very city striking again.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can think of about 3 threads for this right now.

I went into the Wawa Friday night with my wife. We came back out, got in the car and started it up. Then my wife tells me there is a guy standing next to my window. I roll it down and he says "I think I just hit your car."

I get out of the car, walk around back, and my bumper is cracked and a big scrape along it. gently caress me. He offers that his insurance will cover all of it, and gives me his insurance info. He also mentions that this is the third accident he's been in this month. I told him I appreciated that he stuck around. He offered to call the police for the police report while I made the insurance claim.

I wouldn't have seen this until I got to my destination, 2 hours away. And it was already 11:00 at night. I called my insurance company to put in a claim, and gave them his insurance info. While I was on the phone, he went into the Wawa to buy some stuff. After I got off the phone 10 minutes later, the police had not arrived. So I called them myself. A cop showed up within 2 minutes.

I explained to the officer what happened. He took my license, registration, and insurance info. He asked the other guy for his information. While the guy was fiddling through his paperwork, he dropped it all on the ground. Then he bent over to pick it up and was having trouble keeping his balance. He picked it all up and gave the cop a bunch of papers, none of which were his license or registration. At this point the cop called for more backup and started asking him questions about his sobriety.

He says he does not drink, but is on several prescriptions. I couldn't hear all of them, but I did hear Suboxone. He was just out of rehab for oxycontin. He was also on a few other things including some kind of mood stabilizers. The guy also changed his story a few times, from swerving to avoid another car to saying that I had backed out into him. The cops threatened to retrieve security camera footage, and he recanted and said he just drove into my car.

The specialist cop showed up to administer the field sobriety tests. He had the guy stand with one foot in front of the other. He couldn't do it. The cop asked him to walk 9 steps forward, turn around and walk 9 steps back. The guy asked about 100 questions during these instructions. He took 10 steps forward while wobbling all over the place. Then he asked the cop again how many steps to walk back. The cop told him nine. He took about 13 steps back, turned around again and took 5 more steps forward.

The cop then asked him to stand on one foot and count to 30. He stood on one foot and counted to 20, proud of himself for completing the task without wobbling or falling. The cop then arrested him for DUI. You see, these tests are more about following instructions than about balance. Just because a doctor prescribes you some drugs doesn't mean you can go driving around when you want.

This is it the next day:

So this part probably goes somewhere else - I'm gonna need a new bumper. Liberty Mutual says I have to go get an estimate at one of their shops, but I can have it repaired anywhere I like. The estimate is being done at a Buick/GMC/Hyundai dealer. I think this guy owns a Honda dealership across the street as well. Anyway, should I just have them replace the bumper on my Subaru? Or go to the Subaru dealer? I wax the car pretty often, would I still need a spray to match the color, or just use the default? It's 3 years old. Also, I had the car in 2nd gear while it was parked. Do I have to worry about any damage to my gearbox from the impact?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 9, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm glad you were in a place with decent response. In Philadelphia the cops often don't show up at all, and other times they drop off the driver in our emergency department and don't arrest or file charges.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm glad you were in a place with decent response. In Philadelphia the cops often don't show up at all, and other times they drop off the driver in our emergency department and don't arrest or file charges.

Where I live in Pittsburgh, if there isn't a body there probably won't be a response, even to a 911 call for shots fired.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This was about an hour north of Philly, in Flemington, NJ. Doesn't Philly have a minimum damage requirement for cops to give a report? I don't know how else you're supposed to prove who is at fault to the insurance companies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
unless an ambulance is involved or a vehicle is disabled and blocking traffic you dont get cops at an accident. the thought of them coming to one in a parking lot is mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

go3 posted:

unless an ambulance is involved or a vehicle is disabled and blocking traffic you dont get cops at an accident. the thought of them coming to one in a parking lot is mind boggling.

The guy that I made light contact with in an Ikea parking lot didn't think so and called the cops anyways. Granted I was technically at fault as I was trying to back into a spot next to that guy and I was driving my parent's car by myself so I couldn't talk my way out of it. However, there was no noticeable damage that I could have caused since we didn't trade paint and there were no cracks in either bumper though the entire width of the other guys bumper was already pretty scratched up. Despite the practically non-existent damage, the guy was pretty indignant and wanted cash upfront to fix it on the order of several hundred dollars. That raised some red flags but I proceeded to go through what should be the normal exchange of information and insurance. However, he was very demanding that I pay him or he calls the cops so I let him since I couldn't reason with the guy.

One hour later, the Elizabeth PD finally arrives. We tell him our story and when he inspects the cars he remarks that the can't see any damage. The officer then gives us forms to describe and report the accident to mail in if we wish to report it and tells us to work out on an agreement. After the officer leaves, the guy is still insisting that I pay him at which point I call him on his bullshit that he wants a bribe, tell him that damages to a car ought to be paid through insurance, and boast that it's not my insurance rate that's on the line as I didn't own a car at the time. I tell him that I intend on filing the report and reporting the incident to my parent's insurance company and I go on my way. Some time later according to my parents when the insurance company made contract with the other guy, he declined to pursue the matter further. So much fuss for a stupid pre-owned certified Honda Accord.

This was a few years ago and after all this time I still don't know what his deal was. On hindsight after inspecting a copy of his drivers license, I noticed he was Korean and I figure he was giving me a hard time because I was Chinese. It was also pretty evident that English wasn't his first language. At least nothing bad came from this besides aggravation and a few hours from my Sunday evening.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 10, 2015