Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

(after the dubious coke one)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

This esteemed candidate is fairly close to me, and I have an editorial to write. I think I will reach out to him or her. Nice!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://vine.co/v/ewhOmJVeqhJ

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 7, 2015

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
G.K. Chesterton once said something to the effect of "When things are done wildly, but taken mildly, the state is going insane." If things continue as they have, we are mere years away from the president naming a horse as Secretary of State (a la Caligula).

^Prepare to be disappointed.

OK. Quiz time. Who said this 3 years ago:

quote:

I’m kind of a Snooki fan. Look how tiny she’s gotten. She’s lost weight. She’s energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun.
—Mitt Romney, when asked to choose whom he likes more: Honey Boo Boo or Snooki

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Dutch review of Ta Nehisi Coates new book:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

For the record, the non-seasonally adjusted unemployment numbers were +77,000. That's lower than the same time last year (161,000) & much lower than the year before (272,000).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Why must every movie, including movies about real historical events have a white male protagonist? White men are not the world's saviors.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

MageMage fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 7, 2015

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Mandy Thompson posted:

Why must every movie, including movies about real historical events have a white male protagonist? White men are not the world's saviors.

The Guardian posted:

Finally the film’s nominal star, Jeremy Irvine, defended the film, again on Facebook.

“[I] can assure you all that it represents almost every race and section of society that was so fundamental to one of the most important civil rights movements in living history,” he wrote. “Marsha P Johnson is a major part of the movie, and although first hand accounts of who threw the first brick in the riots vary wildly, it is a fictional black transvestite character played by the very talented @vlad_alexis [actor Vladimir Alexis] who pulls out the first brick in the riot scenes.”

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NsRmCapbYw

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What the hell even is this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

It's just a polite notice not to remind murder victims of their fear and suffering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBn9iWEye4

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Basic problem is that there were few photographs, no videos and a bunch of contradictory eyewitness accounts that all contradict each other. Some say Stonewall was full of black drag queens. Others say they only let a select few drag queens in (who they knew) and the crowd was mostly white. Some say Sylvia Rivera started it, some say Marsha Johnson, some say it was "some guy." Some say a butch lesbian named Storme DeLarverie. Nobody's got a clue.

But the main reason we don't know is that, at the time, it was a minor disturbance, one of many around the country (not the only one involving LGBT rioters, in fact, and also a blip of a riot by late-1960s standards), that only later became the basis for commemoration, so few people bothered to record it outside a few alt-weeklies.

As Stonewall was later mythologized by gay activist groups and very deliberately so, it took on greater importance, and as there's ongoing political conflicts within the GLBT movement, how Stonewall is interpreted becomes subject to political adjudication.

Cue bunch of random poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqa2TESOEC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE29Ic8Wxko

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 8, 2015

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Omi-Polari posted:

Some say Sylvia Rivera started it, some say Marsha Johnson, some say it was "some guy." Some say a butch lesbian named Storme DeLarverie. Nobody's got a clue.

Emmerich: Best make the fictional symbolic hero of Stonewall "some guy", that feels like a fair amalgam of the various, vague and powerful figures of this movement. Marketing's asking us if we can make him straight too, but we gotta draw the line somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGEJmPwB4yI

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 8, 2015

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Kavak posted:

It's from some blog or something called "Liar Town." Some stuff from there is kind of funny (I think the Cussin' Bears magazine cover comes from there), but a lot of it's loving dumb. So that image is a fake and it's satirizing people who want to call attention to lighthearted rape references and jokes.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 8, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GANDHITRON posted:

It's from some blog or something called "Liar Town." Some stuff from there is kind of funny (I think the Cussin' Bears magazine cover comes from there), but a lot of it's loving dumb. So that image is a fake and it's satirizing people who want to call attention to lighthearted rape references and jokes.

:captainpop:

Oliver Stone made a glurge movie about 9/11 and cast a white guy as a black Marine.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
File these under parody that could easily be real (a file which gets larger everyday).

More random goodies:

"In the end, man is not entirely guilty — he did not start history. Nor is he wholly innocent — he continues it." —Albert Camus, The Rebel

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

(Not actually a thing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_robot

Our current crop of earthbound killbots isn't that impressive, but in the not too distant future it's not outlandish to imagine we'll have something every bit as useful as a UAV.

Koschei
Sep 14, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
Will Robotic soldiers be able to survive a nuclear war?

I hope not!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We just need to avoid nuking ourselves until humanity collectively decides to hand over the reins of power to a benevolent AI.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Helios

Deus Ex is great. Invisible War never happened.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

That is not a commissar, THIS is a commissar. :commissar:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Klaus88 posted:

That is not a commissar, THIS is a commissar. :commissar:

That is not a commissar, THIS is a commissar.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

:lol:

Nobody tell them. :ssh:

Oh gently caress, picture thread, how did I get here?

:yikes:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

wtf kind of question is that anyway though

• Locked thread