Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Two dungeons, actually :eng101:

gently caress I always forget about keeper of the lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Just depends on how long the fight goes. By about two and a half minutes of continuous fighting I'm down to running on fumes. You can only do so much on-GCD stuff that only expends MP, and doing that you're eventually gonna be dry on both. :(

That's roughly how fast you will go dry out of grit yes. There's nothing to slow the TP drain, no TP regain abilities and blood weapon increases attack speed.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

moskiitto posted:

Finally playing FFXIV and for real this time. Got Gladiator (Paladin) lvl 34.
Having only played Guild Wars 1 and 2 this whole holy trinity thing etc. is so weird and whack but liking it.
Also possible for me to join SA guild?

The only barriers to entry is being on the right server where a goon guild exists and your ability to register on ffgoons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fishious posted:

That's roughly how fast you will go dry out of grit yes. There's nothing to slow the TP drain, no TP regain abilities and blood weapon increases attack speed.

That's how quickly I go dry while main tanking! :(

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ciaphas posted:

That's how quickly I go dry while main tanking! :(

I haven't done it at any reasonable level yet but do you really need to be doing something every gcd? I don't doubt there needs to be some tweaking done to dark but they seem to have way more threat naturly than my pld at low level I wonder if you really need to dump you're entire tp pool to keep up.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So my dog has decided she really wants to murder my new carbuncle doll and is miffed I won't let her.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

RuanGacho posted:

I haven't done it at any reasonable level yet but do you really need to be doing something every gcd? I don't doubt there needs to be some tweaking done to dark but they seem to have way more threat naturly than my pld at low level I wonder if you really need to dump you're entire tp pool to keep up.

If you care remotely about your damage or your efficiency, yes you need to be doing something every GCD.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RuanGacho posted:

Two and a half minutes is about the same for PLD without getting into heavy Shield Swipe use. In encounters that are designed for you to be fighting for that long uninterrupted they typically also want people to be doing max DPS which means you need to be doing max Enmity generation in order to keep up with it.

BRDs/MCHs/NIN's who know when to use Goad are often critical for that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's mildly annoying because barring Overpower WAR doesn't have anything like the TP problems thanks to every sixth GCD (plus more) being free, and then they get a TP restore on top of that.

buff drk pls yoship

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Designing a class that actually has to hamper themselves and cannot push a button every gcd is Bad. Why should DRK have to stop doing things just because they have one of the worst TP consumption, especially when you compare it to WAR which is TP positive. PLD is in the same boat but at least can do a few things to mitigate TP loss.

DRK should not have to rely on a NInja or BRD/MCH to actually function past 2 minutes.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Two dungeons, actually :eng101:
Also ifrit/garuda/titan hard before you can start the 2.5 quests

It adds up to more than 8 hours for sure, and if you buy HW at least the exp isn't wasted...

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
So does DRK bring anything to the table that WAR doesn't? I ask in all sincerity because I'm finally 190 ilvl on my warrior and I'm looking to level up something new while I search for a static raid.

I was leaning towards a DPS class, but I was considering trying DRK since I wouldn't have to gear it. Do they have the DPS potential of WAR or are they just more tanky?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

vanbags posted:

So does DRK bring anything to the table that WAR doesn't? I ask in all sincerity because I'm finally 190 ilvl on my warrior and I'm looking to level up something new while I search for a static raid.

I was leaning towards a DPS class, but I was considering trying DRK since I wouldn't have to gear it. Do they have the DPS potential of WAR or are they just more tanky?

Int down if you don't have a Monk. Otherwise no.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

vanbags posted:

Just stick with WAR man DRK will probably disappoint you

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

vanbags posted:

Bonkers emnity generation by virtue of having the highest multipliers on all their skills. They're also the best at tanking magic attacks, which at the moment means they're actually at the top of the MT pile since all the big tankbusters in Alexander that you can reasonably predict are magic damage.

Although if you're levelling up an alt class, I'd highly advise a DPS or Healer if you don't have one maxed out yet. Variety is good and it's more fun than doing the same role with different skills, in my opinion.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It seems like a simple enough fix to just reduce the cost of hard slash and that in itself might be enough to balance their TP issues, just making it cost 60 instead of 70 would make it different from the other two tanks but might be enough to lower its cost over time.

I have done the math or anything but it seems like it's just a very minor tweak that would be needed to fix the tp problem.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hey, until then, if you're ever with a MCH called Vas, feel free to yell at me and ill give you TP bot. :v:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Magil Zeal posted:

It seemed a lot easier to make the crafter AF, though, since it was only 1-star. And you could get a 100% success rate on HQing 2-star 80 durability crafts with a set of fully overmelded jewelry plus the crafter AF with a few grade I materia in it, and fully overmelding your jewelry wasn't that bad since you only needed to use grade Is for the last few slots.

Not gonna lie, that's the point in the game where crafting was the most appealing to me--you could graduate from Hasty Touch spam and Rapid Synthesis was considered a garbage skill. Then 3/4-star crafting came and messed it all up.

1000x this. You had to max several classes and have good gear to eliminate RNG, so it still took work to earn that level of mastery. Yet, the difficulty was just right for people to be able to make anything they wanted even with only a single class maxed ... you know, like they said they wanted to do for Heavensward before completely loving it up.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see crafting like that again in this game. Most people who feel the same way just ignore crafting entirely so all that's left are people who think RNG = skill and bad RNG means you need to "git gud".

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So I've beaten Twin but I don't have the achievement for mapping the realm of Turn 5

Do I have to beat her again or am I hosed since I heard you never go back to the tiny area you can explore the first time you beat it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

seorin posted:

1000x this. You had to max several classes and have good gear to eliminate RNG, so it still took work to earn that level of mastery. Yet, the difficulty was just right for people to be able to make anything they wanted even with only a single class maxed ... you know, like they said they wanted to do for Heavensward before completely loving it up.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see crafting like that again in this game. Most people who feel the same way just ignore crafting entirely so all that's left are people who think RNG = skill and bad RNG means you need to "git gud".

Uh this the exact same situation with 2 star crafting right now though.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Dr Pepper posted:

So my dog has decided she really wants to murder my new carbuncle doll and is miffed I won't let her.

provoque + tomahawk usually does the trick. :rimshot:

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I've just started playing this game seriously and have a lvl 51 Ninja now. I'm working on getting the Ironworks gear and just trying to complete as much poo poo as possible. When I'm in roulette though I tend to get a lot of poo poo for putting out low DPS. I try to keep up my Huton buff, my poison and my DOTs, but if anyone could give some general tips for ninja in dungeons that'd be great!

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

It seems like a simple enough fix to just reduce the cost of hard slash and that in itself might be enough to balance their TP issues, just making it cost 60 instead of 70 would make it different from the other two tanks but might be enough to lower its cost over time.

I have done the math or anything but it seems like it's just a very minor tweak that would be needed to fix the tp problem.
Assuming my math isn't shite:

Presently, 190 TP is used per combo. Disregarding skill speed (which only makes things worse), you get one combo per 7.5 seconds and regenerate 60 TP per 3 seconds (I think?).
In 15 seconds you consume 380 TP while generating 300, for a net loss of 80. A bit over three minutes and the TP is gone.

If we change it so that Hard Slash is only 60 TP, then it changes to 180 TP per combo, and now the net loss is 60. Now the TP runs out after four minutes.

So that's better, but it's still kind of not great. It's an issue inherent to TP; unless you're a job that has a TP restore that you aren't already using correctly, you can't really do anything about when you run out other than do less DPS or ask for goad/paeon/the MCH thing. TP costs are generally about the same range (except for aoe and ranged skills costing more), and if you're not pressing buttons you're doing things wrong.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why are you wasting time getting Ironworks?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

because it looks cool as hell????

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Klades posted:

Assuming my math isn't shite:

Presently, 190 TP is used per combo. Disregarding skill speed (which only makes things worse), you get one combo per 7.5 seconds and regenerate 60 TP per 3 seconds (I think?).
In 15 seconds you consume 380 TP while generating 300, for a net loss of 80. A bit over three minutes and the TP is gone.

If we change it so that Hard Slash is only 60 TP, then it changes to 180 TP per combo, and now the net loss is 60. Now the TP runs out after four minutes.

So that's better, but it's still kind of not great. It's an issue inherent to TP; unless you're a job that has a TP restore that you aren't already using correctly, you can't really do anything about when you run out other than do less DPS or ask for goad/paeon/the MCH thing. TP costs are generally about the same range (except for aoe and ranged skills costing more), and if you're not pressing buttons you're doing things wrong.

I think four minutes between breaks probably shows up less often than three minutes between breaks. It doesn't take that long of a phase transition to get some pretty big gains back.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Octolady posted:

I've just started playing this game seriously and have a lvl 51 Ninja now. I'm working on getting the Ironworks gear and just trying to complete as much poo poo as possible. When I'm in roulette though I tend to get a lot of poo poo for putting out low DPS. I try to keep up my Huton buff, my poison and my DOTs, but if anyone could give some general tips for ninja in dungeons that'd be great!

You don't need to get ironworks unless you really like how it looks, the vendor gear in HW areas is perfectly fine.

As for ninja stuff, I dunno what you could be doing to get people to yell at you. Are you using ninjutsu at every opportunity? You should definitely keep huton up, then use suiton so you can get off a trick attack, and if that's not off cooldown and huton isn't running out, just use raiton. At 54 you get an ability that extends huton so you don't need to worry about recasting it all the time. Otherwise yeah just keep your dots and debuff up and hit your off-GCDs.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 10, 2015

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Whizbang posted:

Why are you wasting time getting Ironworks?

What should I be getting then? :(

and yeah I thought it looked cool, and has better stats than anything else I've seen, that was pretty much it.

ed: ^^^ oh ok, I had no idea if I could actually access the HW areas yet since I haven't hit the quest for it. I'm only just on the quest after the first main one.

LeafyGreens fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 10, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kafziel posted:

I think four minutes between breaks probably shows up less often than three minutes between breaks. It doesn't take that long of a phase transition to get some pretty big gains back.

4 minutes is around when other clases are going to be needing tp too, so you'll be able to get tp from the bard/mch

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Came across an NPC in Ala Mhigo and was wondering if any of this gear was obtainable:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Yes! That is the allied seal tank set + axe from Ul'dah.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

vanbags posted:

Came across an NPC in Ala Mhigo and was wondering if any of this gear was obtainable:

Yeah that's Immortal Flames hunt gear. You get it from a guy standing right by the hunt board, but only if you're in that company.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Volt Catfish posted:

So I've beaten Twin but I don't have the achievement for mapping the realm of Turn 5

Do I have to beat her again or am I hosed since I heard you never go back to the tiny area you can explore the first time you beat it

There's a tiny little area you can't get to until you beat him - it has the treasure chests and the normal zoneline. That's probably what you missed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Octolady posted:

What should I be getting then? :(

and yeah I thought it looked cool, and has better stats than anything else I've seen, that was pretty much it.

ed: ^^^ oh ok, I had no idea if I could actually access the HW areas yet since I haven't hit the quest for it. I'm only just on the quest after the first main one.

Oh if you're still working through the main story quest, then yeah you might as well pick some up with the poetics you're getting. But don't worry about grinding to get a complete set or whatever. You can't go to HW areas until you finish the original story.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Begemot posted:

Yeah that's Immortal Flames hunt gear. You get it from a guy standing right by the hunt board, but only if you're in that company.
If I were to use it for glamour then go back to Maelstrom would that work?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

vanbags posted:

If I were to use it for glamour then go back to Maelstrom would that work?

no

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Begemot posted:

Oh if you're still working through the main story quest, then yeah you might as well pick some up with the poetics you're getting. But don't worry about grinding to get a complete set or whatever. You can't go to HW areas until you finish the original story.

Cool, I'll do the main quests asap then! Thanks for the tips as well :)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Octolady posted:

do the main quests asap

This cannot be overemphasized.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Octolady posted:

Whats your ilvl right now? If you are a fresh 50 it's probably something goofy like 75 or something, in which case low damage is totally reasonable. Some general nin tips:

0. Get WTFast or Pingzapper or whatever floats your boat unless you live close to the data center (Montreal). Nin gets reamed over latency. Don't use macros for any offensive abilities because they don't buffer so you will lose damage. ESPECIALLY don't macro mudras.

1. CC skills in order of importance: Blood for Blood, Internal Release, Invigorate, Second Wind, Keen Flurry. If you haven't suffered the lancer grind to 34 for blood for blood you are now past the point where it is acceptable to not have done so.

2. The nin opener that I use is Dancing edge combo > shadow fang combo > Mutilate > Aeolian combo. At 52+ you want to use armor crush instead of aeolian any time it would add 30 seconds to huton. After this you just refresh stuff as it needs to be refreshed. Don't forget that they added a positional requirement to Aeolian Edge so now you need to be behind the target for max damage.

3. Ninjutsu priority on single targets is Huton > suiton > raiton. On groups of 3+ it's Huton > Doton if the things will live 20 seconds or so > katon. Do not use Doton on single targets.

4. As a general dps tip, you want to stack as many damage bonuses together as you can. This means using all your cooldowns at once and then unloading all your damage abilities as best you can. Here is the fygm dps rotation for when cooldowns are up:

Start with Huton up and ninjutsu preferably off cooldown or coming off cooldown in 10 seconds or so: Spinning Edge > Gust Slash > Blood for Blood and internal release in the same gcd > Dancing Edge > Suiton > Spinning Edge > Kassatsu > Shadow Fang > Trick Attack > Mutilate > Raiton > Spinning Edge > Mug > Gust Slash > Jugulate > Aeolian Edge. In case the ninjutsu cooldown isn't timed well (tank pulls immediately after you refresh huton being the most common example) you want to blow Kassatsu to Suiton to Trick Attack on time.

This rotation will undergo some minor modifications on your way to 60. You'll want to Shadewalker the tank as you run in or after the first spinning edge. You will use Armor Crush instead of Aeolian sometimes. You will want to Duality right before either Aeolian or Armor Crush. You will want to Dream within a Dream where mug is and bump mug or jugulate to after the aeolian.

5. AE "rotation" get Huton up. If it's already up then Katon > Death Blossom > B4b and IR > Death Blossom > Kassatsu > Death Blossom > Doton (Kassatsu makes every tick crit) > Death Blossom spam, use Katon on CD, use Armor Crush combo to refresh Suton if you need to. When you get down to < 590 tp use Invigorate. When you get down to 400 tp and Invig is on cd, switch to the single target rotation.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So I'm looking to make a static, but I'm hoping to go through Coil of Bahamut content rather than Alexander (though I hope to do that at some point). I started playing not that long ago and I wasn't level 50 before HW dropped and I'd really like to get a group of people to see the Coil content with iSync on so it's a challenge rather than just blowing through it for completion's sake.

I'll be honest I have never raided before and I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm not looking for any experience requirements, just a positive attitude and willingness to learn (I'll be learning this stuff too after all). If anybody is in the same boat as me, just wants to see that content for some reason, or has done it already and wants to do that older content again for whatever reason, join me on this dumb fantasy adventure and help me kill a bigass dragon! Please PM me on SA or add me on Excal (IGN: Darklord Ganondorf) so I can gauge interest. I'll probably make a post on ffgoons at some point as well but I thought I'd post this here first.

• Locked thread