Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

I say just buy from newegg.cn

It's only a small price premium and you deal with them directly. THere's also tmall.com

Or get a chromebook

Do NOT get a chrome book. Google is all blocked so they are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

Do NOT get a chrome book. Google is all blocked so they are worthless.

I was gonna say, a Chromebook in China sounds like the dumbest idea.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I forgot I live in Hong Kong! But oh well everything will be the same soon :ohdear: :china:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Magna Kaser posted:

Do NOT get a chrome book... they are worthless.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

I forgot I live in Hong Kong! But oh well everything will be the same soon :ohdear: :china:

Hong Kongers are terrible and the worst and I'm not even joking because I'm incapable fo humor whebn I'm drunk.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Hong Kongers are terrible and the worst and I'm not even joking because I'm incapable fo humor whebn I'm drunk.

Hell, even when you're not drunk.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I bought a cheap chromebook like two years ago, and it is too slow to run stuff now, and the cheap plastic on the touchpad is peeling off like dead sunburned skin

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Jd.com was originally mainly for getting electronics online when they were still called 360buy.com so they have a huge selection and are cheaper than newegg

You can probably get a Thinkpad Edge at an okay price

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LentThem posted:

Jd.com was originally mainly for getting electronics online when they were still called 360buy.com so they have a huge selection and are cheaper than newegg

You can probably get a Thinkpad Edge at an okay price

Yeah Newegg in China kind of sucks. I would choose JD, TMall and Amazon over them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When I look on JD there are a bunch of super cheap ones with brands like dere, deffad, WOW, and other poo poo that I can find no other evidence for anywhere on the internet. What the hell are these?

Example: http://item.jd.com/1598272775.html

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chinese brands. Probably terrible.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
buying electronics or clothes or really anything else: if the brand doesnt appear to exist outside of china, its probably a cheap pile of poo poo that youll regret

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had heard of Chinese manufacturers taking the same parts they make for other companies and selling exact copies for cheap so that was mainly what I was wondering about.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

I had heard of Chinese manufacturers taking the same parts they make for other companies and selling exact copies for cheap so that was mainly what I was wondering about.

This is definitely A Thing.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
So my Shanghai Adventure did not turn out as expected. I'll write an :effort: post once I have some more perspective and can laugh about it. Long story short, even laowai who have lived in China for a long time and seem to be trustworthy and have their poo poo together can be really, really weird. Like, to the point where you don't even want them to have your phone number anymore. Or know where you live.

Simultaneously, though, my wife got her green card (we'd been waiting 10+ months for permission to schedule an appointment in guangzhou) so we are processing exit papers for my daughter and will move to the USA in ~2 weeks.

Previously I did not want to go back home - I wanted to live in a big city for a while - but after discovering my business contacts were some kind of weird cult like group that takes orders from a 52 year-old black dude who sits around his house all day drinking vodka and shouting at people on the phone - I decided to bail on my plans before they dragged me under.

Anyway, there's always new plans. Working on some different projects now, guess I'll have to settle for playing occasional raves back home instead of becoming a celebrity in China.

I guess it finally came down to, when somebody (who can't even speak Chinese) calls me up in the middle of the night shouting about how they have so much guanxi and thinks they need to explain what H.N.I.C. means; no dude, you are not my friend. You don't know me. I don't want anything to do with you.

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 31, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:f5: :china: :peanut:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

So my Shanghai Adventure did not turn out as expected. I'll write an :effort: post once I have some more perspective and can laugh about it. Long story short, even laowai who have lived in China for a long time and seem to be trustworthy and have their poo poo together can be really, really weird. Like, to the point where you don't even want them to have your phone number anymore. Or know where you live.

in almost six years in China, I can tell you the amount of people I trust in Tianjin right now on nine fingers (five locals, four foreigners (two who are leaving by October), before counting my wife's friends) ...sorry man. that's life in China I guess

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

9 + some large number? I don't even know nine people, let alone trust...

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

angel opportunity posted:

9 + some large number? I don't even know nine people, let alone trust...

I dunno, I thought after being here I was a good judge of character - especially because I'd known these people for many years and they were very helpful. But in retrospect I'd never spent more than a few days around them at a time, and there'd been warning signs all along I was ignoring because they were talented musicians.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
but really if you're worried locals may screw you in a business deal, I've heard just as many if not more stories of foreigners screwing each other

bottom line is you're utterly on your own in China so sack up and good luck and don't trust anyone, a la Indiana jones in last crusade

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

bad day posted:

I dunno, I thought after being here I was a good judge of character - especially because I'd known these people for many years and they were very helpful. But in retrospect I'd never spent more than a few days around them at a time, and there'd been warning signs all along I was ignoring because they were talented musicians.

Oh, I was responding to GBM, but yeah...I would be super hesitant to trust anyone professionally.

I network with some other authors online for certain projects like newsletter exchanges, story bundles, advertising stuff, etc., but it's all stuff that if they totally hosed me over, it would barely hurt me.

A lot of erotica/romance authors, once they get really big, start to hire ghostwriters. The going thing people say about ghostwriters is, "If you wouldn't trust them to watch your kid for you, don't trust them to ghostwrite for you." That seems like a good rule of thumb for any business relationship that would get you really intertwined and dependent on someone. It's really good though that you identified early how poo poo it looked and bailed out before getting hosed over

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

angel opportunity posted:

I would be super hesitant to trust anyone professionally.

A lot of erotica/romance authors..

literal lol

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Why is it funny :(

I seriously am doing like professional networking with other authors...

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Can I ghostwrite for you? I have this great concept about a Uniqlo dressing room...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can I ghostwrite for you? I have this great concept about duck penises and nuclear war.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can I ghostwrite for you? I'm literally a ghost.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can I ghost write for you? My angry posts give you true inspiration

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
I was directed to this thread awhile back and still have a few stupid questions, so I apologize in advance :(

We're flying from JFK to Tokyo next January and have a 24-hour layover in Beijing. I'd like to get out and actually see something in that time, but am having difficulty gauging what's reasonable to assume for one day layover (especially with the whole visa business). The nice thing is that we arrive midday and leave the same time the following day, so we really do have a full 24 hours to use. What would be quick and relatively painless for someone who's never stepped foot in China before? We're pretty adventurous with food and whatnot, but don't speak much outside of English (and limited French, which I imagine isn't terribly helpful). Also I browsed the hotel section of the OP, but a specific hotel recommendation within reasonable distance from the airport would be awesome (otherwise I'll just go from what's noted there).

Also, we're flying on Air China - any opinions on this airline? Anything specific I should expect that might set it apart in someway from the other airlines we've used?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have offered some suggestions in the other thread :)

BeepBoopBatman fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 31, 2015

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Also, we're flying on Air China - any opinions on this airline? Anything specific I should expect that might set it apart in someway from the other airlines we've used?

Air China is a member of star alliance, which imposes a few standards on service, quality, etc. In my experience they're fine, not great, they're better than your standard budget/package intercontinental airline. You don't have anything to worry about. I personally prefer to fly Air Canada intercontinentally or one of the better European airlines (KLM, lufthansa) when I can.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
5 star hotel Hyatt Hangzhou : put the complimentary water in the bathroom.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
you know I've never stayed at any hotel (fancy or otherwise) in china but I wonder do the nicer ones have hand soap available in the rooms or is it just cold water and luck like everywhere else?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Invisible Handjob posted:

you know I've never stayed at any hotel (fancy or otherwise) in china but I wonder do the nicer ones have hand soap available in the rooms or is it just cold water and luck like everywhere else?

Don't be so poor.

Just kidding, there's really nice toiletries like occitaine.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nice hotels in China really nice man. Hell the Holiday Inn Express across from my old apartment was like 80 US bucks a night and it was freaking awesome.

My parents came to China in 2011 and they stayed in the Tianjin Renaissance and it was absolutely gorgeous.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

To find a hotel without soap or hot water, you'd have to get into sub ¥50 per night illegal "hotel" territory.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
oh well that's cool, I'll have to keep that in mind. I just stayed with family way out in the boonies and was disappointed at the lack of soap everywhere, even in nicer restaurants. I really don't think I saw it a single time in a restroom after leaving the airport

combined with pooping in those weird men's toilets where the stalls don't have doors on the front so people just walk by and see yer junk hanging out while you're squatting there, I wasn't really left with an overably favorable bathroom experience. not to mention the smell of those urinal troughs with no running water where the gravity just kind of pulls the pee away... oh lord.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Look at this guy, watching people poop :rolleyes:

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Smykowski posted:

Look at this guy, watching people poop :rolleyes:

I wish it were so

I was the one being watched, a lot of people did a double take and just stared at me while I was squatting there pooping, it was the most uncomfortable experience ever...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The time I bent my big toenail in half at a 90 degree angle and had to cut it off at the bend was more uncomfortable than your poops

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
not going to argue with that. ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

fart simpson posted:

The time I bent my big toenail in half at a 90 degree angle and had to cut it off at the bend was more uncomfortable than your poops

Do you have some old times disease or something? The Louisiana Rickets?