Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
Shane Warne.mov

https://vine.co/v/ew1IAH67de0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Jesus

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
has anyone ever actually explained why red, pink and white balls all behave completely differently and tried to find a way to make the latter two actually good?

Seams posted:

The important thing to remember about this Ashes is that Adam Lyth won the selection lotto and is now Adam Lyth: Ashes winner.

I'm sure he and George Bailey: Ashes winner will become the best of friends

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Schlesische posted:

The ball is also really poo poo according to Starc; doesn't really swing and loses shape quickly.

I'm just going off a jason behrendorf interview where he said it moved around a lot under lights. Will be interesting to see.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

IceAgeComing posted:

has anyone ever actually explained why red, pink and white balls all behave completely differently and tried to find a way to make the latter two actually good?

The difference between the Red and Pink balls, according to Kookaburra, is the color of the dye (duh) and a thin clear film to help preserve the color of the pink ball.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Michael Clarke has too many tattoos for the old white people who dole out legacies to give him a good one

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Negligent posted:

Michael Clarke has too many tattoos for the old white people who dole out legacies to give him a good one

But he has the backing of noted "very loudly vocing terrible opinion" extraordinaire Shane Warne, so it'll all work out in the wash.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

IceAgeComing posted:

It's probably because the dyes change the physical properties of the leather in some way.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Seams posted:

The important thing to remember about this Ashes is that Adam Lyth won the selection lotto and is now Adam Lyth: Ashes winner.

Will he get an MBE

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Ratios and Tendency posted:

WC was 1 - 1. Seems pretty cheap to laud your ability to host the final over us but ok. In more relevant news you just lost to an average England side in two days.

Extremely humiliating stuff imo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gay picnic defence posted:

Wasn't there some sort of world cup of cricket recently that might be a good gauge of the cricketing prowess of various nations?

Last I checked there wasn't a Test world cup

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Nothing wrong with getting taken down by Stuart Broad

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I bought Cricket Captain 2015 and started a season as South Australia and so far haven't won a single game out of five. It's a very accurate simulator.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11494652

anyone got access to the couriermail.com.au to read their exclusive ?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

nzspambot posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11494652

anyone got access to the couriermail.com.au to read their exclusive ?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/family-feuds-fuelled-captain-michael-clarkes-decision-to-declare-his-innings-over/story-fnihsrf2-1227476552379

replace Courier Mail with news (so www.news.com.au/blahblahblah)

It's actually not very interesting, basically just says things we already knew.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 9, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just looking through the records and neither Australia nor England have played Zimbabwe in a Test series since 2003/4.
Granted, there were those 6 years where they didn't play any Test cricket, but c'mon lads. Do your averages a favour...

[edit] Looking at the Future Tours Programme, Australia are scheduled for 2 Tests in 2017, but I guess England won't be touring until Mugabe's corpse is rotting for good.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 9, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cricket.com.au saying as many as 9 will go from the current squad.

Starting 11 for the next series predictions:
Bancroft
Warner
Smith
Kawarja
Burns
M. Marsh
Nevill
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Maybe handscombe in for burns and burns opening instead of bancroft.

Im guessing the 8 are clarke, rodgers, haddin, smarsh, voges, watson, siddle and harris not sure who the 9th would be though. Johnson you'd think still has some left in the tank.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
England couldn't play Zimbabwe without some politics kicking off.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Cricket.com.au saying as many as 9 will go from the current squad.

Starting 11 for the next series predictions:
Bancroft
Warner
Smith
Kawarja
Burns
M. Marsh
Nevill
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Maybe handscombe in for burns and burns opening instead of bancroft.

Im guessing the 8 are clarke, rodgers, haddin, smarsh, voges, watson, siddle and harris not sure who the 9th would be though. Johnson you'd think still has some left in the tank.

The 9th is Ahmed, everyone forgets hes in the squad

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/70956569/Australian-coach-Darren-Lehmann-gets-bowled-over-on-Twitter-after-ticket-request

He probably should have seen that one coming.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He got his tickets though. They got a shot of him in what looked like a open box.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I guess you could say he was ... caught out

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Scylo posted:

And in 10 years time we'll know Ponting as a thoughtful commentator with good analysis, and a decent coach. And we'll know Clarke as the guy that irritates the poo poo out of us when he's on commentary with Warne.

This. I have faith in the true legacy great players have.

To exemplify, I once had a drunken, spergy rant to a friend about how much of a tragedy it is that Justin Langer has scored more Test runs than Sir IVA Richards. But my friend reminded me that Viv will be/is universally known as a legend and Langer is regarded as a good player in a great team, (Both right in my opinion)

I mean look at the way that Warne is making GBS threads all over his legacy. In years to come people will talk about his wickets, and his cricket brain, but what they will rememebr is his retarded and irritating pizza chat on commentary.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BrigadierSensible posted:

This. I have faith in the true legacy great players have.

To exemplify, I once had a drunken, spergy rant to a friend about how much of a tragedy it is that Justin Langer has scored more Test runs than Sir IVA Richards. But my friend reminded me that Viv will be/is universally known as a legend and Langer is regarded as a good player in a great team, (Both right in my opinion)

I mean look at the way that Warne is making GBS threads all over his legacy. In years to come people will talk about his wickets, and his cricket brain, but what they will rememebr is his retarded and irritating pizza chat on commentary.

Raw numbers of runs aren't really that important tbh since players these days have longer careers and play more games per year.

Alastair Cook for example has scored only a couple of hundred more runs than Graeme Gooch in about the same number of innings, but Cook's taken 9 years while Gooch took 20

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

#bringbackwatto

1. Warner
2. Khawaja in for Rogers - just made a century opening for Australia A
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. MMarsh or SMarsh adjust to taste
7. Nevill
8. Hazelwood
9. Starc
10. Johnson
11. Lyon

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

webmeister posted:

Raw numbers of runs aren't really that important tbh since players these days have longer careers and play more games per year.

Alastair Cook for example has scored only a couple of hundred more runs than Graeme Gooch in about the same number of innings, but Cook's taken 9 years while Gooch took 20

Tbf, Gooch was selected very young and was dropped for a few years - then also lost further years after being banned for going on rebel tours of apartheid South Africa before being recalled in the early 90s. He played 118 tests, but could have easily played 180+.

Whereas Cook of course has a record of 116 consecutive test appearances, which is second all-time to Border's 153. He has a chance of topping that record too which is incredible as I'm sure most people thought it was unbreakable.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 10, 2015

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Hayden wrote something about the benefits of having wives on tour http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/a-touching-story-that-will-change-your-perspective-on-wags-on-tour/story-fnu2penb-1227476847064

though

quote:

there were occasions when my wife slept in the bathroom of a hotel to make sure I got a good night sleep.

Sounds a bit rough, just get her a different room for the night ffs

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

David Warner did manage a prodigious output of baby photos that possibly detracted from time in the nets

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I don't want them going back to the hotel and being comforted. Don't worry honey I'm sure you will be fine next time~~

I want them to be repeatedly called a bunch of dumb failures by a drill sergeant until they go back to school and learn how to bat/bowl in England.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
We are actually very good in Australia normally so the wags stuff is just nonsense from desperate idiots too arrogant to admit England were the much much better team.

I don't see any of it here but on other sites there are people acting like the wags are such an over the top distraction .

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Yes the thing is, with a comeback win at Lord's, dealing with the psychology of failure wasnt really a factor, it was actually the hubris of a victory on an atypical pitch to believe that Australian techniques could flourish on more common England wickets. That is more of a coaching issue or a matter of the players' own attitudes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Negligent posted:

#bringbackwatto

1. Warner
2. Khawaja in for Rogers - just made a century opening for Australia A
3. Smith
4. Watson
5. Maxwell
6. MMarsh or SMarsh adjust to taste
7. Nevill
8. Hazelwood
9. Starc
10. Johnson
11. Lyon

SMarsh should never be allowed anywhere near the national squad. Not even in the same country.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

My theory is that the selectors won't axe 8-9 guys like some people have suggested.

The Gabba, WACA and Adelaide is as easy as it gets for a batsman vs NZ. Even a dumbass like Watto can instinctually make runs, and then a soft Windies side for the next three Tests.

E: Voges potentially gets a life because he's made so many runs in Australia

Negligent fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 10, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Negligent posted:

My theory is that the selectors won't axe 8-9 guys like some people have suggested.

The Gabba, WACA and Adelaide is as easy as it gets for a batsman vs NZ. Even a dumbass like Watto can instinctually make runs, and then a soft Windies side for the next three Tests.

E: Voges potentially gets a life because he's made so many runs in Australia

Wouldn't it make more sense to role with the youth movement. Lets say they do something truly different and take the team I suggested
Bancroft
Warner
Smith
Kawarja
Burns
M. Marsh
Nevill
Johnson
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Bancroft, Kawarja, Burns, Marsh and Nevil would get their first home series (yeah three of that four have been in and out of the line up, whatever). They make easy runs on pitches they're used to and help to bring up public support, so if and when they tour and do poo poo there's not some ridiculous media cycle calling for heads to roll.

Yeah you could bring Watto and Smarsh back, but to what end, they get a home tour to make easy runs, fail the first time they leave their postcode and get dropped anyway? If the selectors bring Smarsh and Watto back they should be sacked. At least the guys making headlines for the Australia A team have a good combination of some experience playing for Australia, have a track record at least of being able to play overseas and should understand how to behave in a test match situation by now.

Marsh and Watto should be gone. How much more time are you going to give to known bad commodities when you can potentially build for the next decade with a soft start. I'd rather a drawn series at home but get a team that can play together in order than win a whitewash with Marsh and Watto doing what's all but a retirement tour.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Putting a 22 year old in to open in his first Test match for Australia, in a team that also has an inexperienced middle order under a new captain, probably won't go all that well

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

There is no problem sending a 22 year old to open if they are willing to give him 18-24 months regardless of form, history says that won't happen though and he will get the chop at the first run of bad form, probably for Shaun Marsh

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Although if the tail ends up making more runs than the first 5 it would hardly be a new situation

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Negligent posted:

Putting a 22 year old in to open in his first Test match for Australia, in a team that also has an inexperienced middle order under a new captain, probably won't go all that well

....And that's any worse than what's been going on the last 5 years?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

EMC posted:

There is no problem sending a 22 year old to open if they are willing to give him 18-24 months regardless of form, history says that won't happen though and he will get the chop at the first run of bad form, probably for Shaun Marsh

This is basically the thing. I'm fine with a 1989-style clear out, but only if the new players get time to bed in. With a series against Bangladesh, then at home against the Kiwis and the West Indies it seems like a good opportunity to blood some new players and let them knit together. But the hierarchy will probably lose their nerve at the first sign of trouble and bring back Smarsh and LBWatsout. I realise that we'll probably lose to Bangladesh and the Kiwis, but let the new group bond through adversity.

I honestly don't see the point in keeping the older group around because they're "experienced" - they're just passengers at this point. Mitchell Johnson has scored more runs than anyone else besides Smith/Rogers/Warner :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Basically I agree with Gillespie that dudes like Bancroft, Lynn, Khawaja, Burns etc need to be knocking down the door by making FC runs, not just a couple of headline grabbing knocks at the right time. The second XI is there for young players to develop internationally, you have to be making runs consistently over 18-24 months to deserve an early look in for a baggy green. Even Glenn Maxwell has gone to play county for Yorkshire, clever move.