Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ArchangeI posted:

No the best argument is "Does voting matter? Let's ask this Iraqi civilian about whether he would prefer a Bush or a Gore administration. Oh wait we can't because he's dead."
How does a dead Auslander count as a negative to a neo-reactionary?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Zemyla posted:

Honestly, the best argument that voting does matter, and one that might get through to these guys, is that companies are literally spending billions of dollars to influence it.
That's exactly why it doesn't matter. :v:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MizPiz posted:

Any Dark Enlightenment reactions over the Republican debate last night? I know the consensus is that politics is a mind killer, but from what I've seen these guys and their ilk are big Trump supporters.

The alt-right (blatant neo-Nazis) end is explicitly onside with Trump 'cos he's not afraid to be blatantly racist. The snide intellectual end are still positioning themselves as above such tawdry considerations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well the presidential election isn't an important issue. Not like ethics in game journalism.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Apparently all the alt-right idiots are excited over Sanders being criticized for his poor handling of #blacklivesmatter. Wesley, and others think that that's the natural outcome of "showing weakness to minorities." Exactly why they love Trump so much.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Apparently all the alt-right idiots are excited over Sanders being criticized for his poor handling of #blacklivesmatter. Wesley, and others think that that's the natural outcome of "showing weakness to minorities." Exactly why they love Trump so much.

Uh, excuse me, Wesley is clearly gray tribe and not red tribe. Therefore, anything he says is the result of complex meta-level thinking and not mere object-level red tribe memetic poisoning.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone explain "gray tribe" and "red tribe"?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone who's read more SSC than I have can probably give a more accurate account of this, but you know in America, states that tend to vote Republican are called "red states" and states that tend to vote Democrat are called "blue states"?

Well, some Less Wrong people, in their drive to feel superior, begin to refer to Republicans and Democrats as "the red tribe" and "the blue tribe" in partial analogy to a pair of feuding chariot teams in Ancient Rome whose conflicts caused riots and affected politics.

Then Scott decided he and his friends were beyond the left/right axis and created the term "gray tribe" to classify the magical smart unclassifiable people like him and the Homestuck Fascist.

This pretty much covers it.

Although it was actually the feuding chariot teams of Constantinople, and not Rome.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
EDIT nevermind, I should have actually read the post above me first

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Here we go

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

This is the most convoluted defense of intolerance, smug "I am above the crowd" nonsense, and pseudo-intellectual drivel. I love how he uses Bhodidharma as a fictional actor though, I guess if you're proudly going to wave ignorance around, you may as well start with a Zen buddhism :colbert:.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ITT: someone who writes an increasingly popular blog with several hundred comments per post and meetup groups across the US and says things like "Try to keep this off Reddit and other similar sorts of things" as if he's not broadcasting.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I really like that the "cuckservative" thing is about the GOP not being out-and-out racist and dealing in implicit and dog-whistle type racism instead. What I don't understand is why the alt-right thinks that this helps their position, even, if they don't even have the vague plausible deniability against bigotry that current GOP and libertarians have.

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Aug 9, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Going back through the LW mock thread, I wonder how on earth Yudkowsky would cope with a minor to moderate stroke or traumatic brain injury. Often in those cases you can regain most or even all of the function you had before the injury--but you have to work your rear end off, and sometimes learn how to do something over again, using a less optimal brain pathway that takes more effort. I'm imagining Yudkowsky, a couple of years after a stroke that most people would bounce back, more or less, from, sitting in a power chair in a nursing home drooling on himself because he was so unwilling to put any effort towards rehabilitation that he just declined, and is still declining, further and further.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Going back through the LW mock thread, I wonder how on earth Yudkowsky would cope with a minor to moderate stroke or traumatic brain injury. Often in those cases you can regain most or even all of the function you had before the injury--but you have to work your rear end off, and sometimes learn how to do something over again, using a less optimal brain pathway that takes more effort. I'm imagining Yudkowsky, a couple of years after a stroke that most people would bounce back, more or less, from, sitting in a power chair in a nursing home drooling on himself because he was so unwilling to put any effort towards rehabilitation that he just declined, and is still declining, further and further.

No man, at one point he describes how he knows how to rewire his brain, but it'd be a major effort and he can only do it once. So he is saving that respec until he needs it to save the world (and he will have to live with the burden of that knowledge until then).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You would think someone so obsessed with brains would know about how they continuously "rewire" themselves around the way people use them whether they want them to or not. :eng99:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

No man, at one point he describes how he knows how to rewire his brain, but it'd be a major effort and he can only do it once. So he is saving that respec until he needs it to save the world (and he will have to live with the burden of that knowledge until then).

So why not [strike]wish for more wishes[/strike] rewire himself as someone who can rewire himself as much as he likes?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

So why not [strike]wish for more wishes[/strike] rewire himself as someone who can rewire himself as much as he likes?

That would be overpowered.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

ArchangeI posted:

That would be overpowered.

Transhumanists strike me as exactly the sort of no-fun nerds who min-max their way through tabletop RPGs. Eliezer would be over the moon that it's overpowered and would abuse the ability endlessly.

(Of course his sad meatbag body can't actually do that. Instead he'll write more posts about he's so smart, he doesn't even need to learn anymore.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm imagining Yudkowsky, a couple of years after a stroke that most people would bounce back, more or less, from, sitting in a power chair in a nursing home drooling on himself because he was so unwilling to put any effort towards rehabilitation that he just declined, and is still declining, further and further.
Uh, that's kinda terrible.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 10, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's what happens when you don't apply yourself and work hard at getting better after a stroke. I've seen that happen to somebody I know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Yudowski fat? He has to be fat, right? Like one of those kids who were fat by fifth grade and just stayed that way until they were 28?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Yudowski fat? He has to be fat, right? Like one of those kids who were fat by fifth grade and just stayed that way until they were 28?

Eeeeeehhhhhhh... I wouldn't really call him fat, he's not really in shape but fat is not the word I would use.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Eeeeeehhhhhhh... I wouldn't really call him fat, he's not really in shape but fat is not the word I would use.

Like a man who has lived primarily off of chicken nuggets and soda but kept his caloric intake under 2500 a day?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Uh, that's kinda terrible.

I, too, spend time thinking of elaborate scenarios where people with annoying opinions become the protagonist of Metallica's One.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Isn't the idea that you and your pals are above politics and ideology inherently reactionary? It assumes that your values and opinions are universal, and that any major divergence must be due to ideological blindness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Isn't the idea that you and your pals are above politics and ideology inherently reactionary? It assumes that your values and opinions are universal, and that any major divergence must be due to ideological blindness.
It also says, basically, that the political situation is ideal for you -- or at least comfortable enough that you don't have to consider political activity as a way to improve it. However, a lot of the work that these guys undertake, in so far as you could call it work, seems to clearly be political - it's just aimed at elites or opinion leaders rather than the masses.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Curvature of Earth posted:

Transhumanists strike me as exactly the sort of no-fun nerds who min-max their way through tabletop RPGs. Eliezer would be over the moon that it's overpowered and would abuse the ability endlessly.

(Of course his sad meatbag body can't actually do that. Instead he'll write more posts about he's so smart, he doesn't even need to learn anymore.)

There's a few transhumanist RPGs like Eclipse Phase and Transhuman Space that are meant to be good. You can design different bodies to upload yourselves into. Transhumanist might be naive and borne out of a pathological fear of death but I don't think it's 100% the same as Dark Enlightenment Facism. Ever read The Quantum Thief? It's transhumanist villains get their philosophy from someone named Fyodorov: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Fyodorovich_Fyodorov

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Count Chocula posted:

There's a few transhumanist RPGs like Eclipse Phase and Transhuman Space that are meant to be good. You can design different bodies to upload yourselves into. Transhumanist might be naive and borne out of a pathological fear of death but I don't think it's 100% the same as Dark Enlightenment Facism. Ever read The Quantum Thief? It's transhumanist villains get their philosophy from someone named Fyodorov: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Fyodorovich_Fyodorov

There's a paper by James Hughes (who is a proper sociologist as well as a transhumanist) called "The Politics of Transhumanism and the Techno-Millennial Imagination, 1626-2030" - and we'll just gloss over the blatant retconning a history for one's group - which has a nice bit in which he bitches about what happened to transhumanism and guess who's responsible: LessWrong and their friends:

proper peer-reviewed academic bitching, none of your tawdry blog whines posted:

In 2009 the libertarians and Singularitarians launched a campaign to take over the World Transhumanist Association Board of Directors, pushing out the Left in favor of allies like Milton Friedman’s grandson and Seasteader leader Patri Friedman. Since then the libertarians and Singularitarians, backed by Thiel’s philanthropy, have secured extensive hegemony in the transhumanist community. As the global capitalist system spiraled into the crisis in which it remains, partly created by the speculation of hedge fund managers like Thiel, the left-leaning majority of transhumanists around the world have increasingly seen the contradiction between the millennialist escapism of the Singularitarians and practical concerns of ensuring that technological innovation is safe and its benefits universally enjoyed. While the alliance of Left and libertarian transhumanists held together until 2008 in the belief that the new biopolitical alignments were as important as the older alignments around political economy, the global economic crisis has given new life to the technoprogressive tendency, those who want to organize for a more egalitarian world and transhumanist technologies, a project with a long Enlightenment pedigree and distinctly millenarian possibilities.

He notes how all through the 2000s, transhumanists were generally pretty democratically-minded and thought in terms of us all being in this together. Of course this was generally very comfortable white men saying this, but at least they were trying.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

That's what I said earlier. Left-wing columnist Chauncey DeVega very eloquently explained why the idea of being "above" politics is nonsense without even trying to:

Chauncey DeVega posted:

Humans are social beings. Humans invented politics in order to manage conflict and decide how resources should be distributed in society.
There you go. You are only above being "mind-killed" by politics if the way resources are distributed and conflicts are resolved benefits you and you would like to keep it that way. If those two things are true then congratulations, you're a reactionary.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Merdifex posted:

I really like that the "cuckservative" thing is about the GOP not being out-and-out racist and dealing in implicit and dog-whistle type racism instead. What I don't understand is why the alt-right thinks that this helps their position, even, if they don't even have the vague plausible deniability against bigotry that current GOP and libertarians have.
Is there any reason to doubt this is mostly coming from people who have shameful sex fantasies about hypermasculine black guys?

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Cingulate posted:

Is there any reason to doubt this is mostly coming from people who have shameful sex fantasies about hypermasculine black guys?

That explains the terminology, but not the context in which it is being used. Or not in a way clear to me, anyway.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
I've heard Lord of the Rings brought up in relation to DE types before. How exactly does it fit in? I mean, I'm fairly sure most of the messages in LotR (anti-industrialism and the dangers of pursuing power in particular) would be repellent to a bunch of nerds who want to be machine gods torturing the poors with dust specks for their own amusement or whatever.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Polybius91 posted:

I've heard Lord of the Rings brought up in relation to DE types before. How exactly does it fit in? I mean, I'm fairly sure most of the messages in LotR (anti-industrialism and the dangers of pursuing power in particular) would be repellent to a bunch of nerds who want to be machine gods torturing the poors with dust specks for their own amusement or whatever.

They're nerds.

QED

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

But speaking of LOTR, I'm curious how many of these clowns were homeschooled because the right wing views, misogyny and supreme over estimation of their intelligence + LOTR obsession just reeks of the vibe a lot of the more insightful, less conventionally brainwashed homeschool lads I grew up with.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their intellectual crucible probably involved lots of wedgies and watching dumb jocks date the girls they secretly lusted after, though. You can't hate normal people that much without personal experience.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Polybius91 posted:

I'm pretty sure one or a couple of them have touted the idea that the war between the orcs and the other races was basically multiculturalism vs. human biodiversity.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Their intellectual crucible probably involved lots of wedgies and watching dumb jocks date the girls they secretly lusted after, though. You can't hate normal people that much without personal experience.

Oh but you can, you can. take a fairly bright kid, keep him sheltered, constantly reinforce that being homeschooled makes him smarter than everyone else while denying him the things he desires from the "normal people" and watch the hatred grow. Eventually they wise up that their parents/homeschool group are full of poo poo, then they find out the "real world" is also full of poo poo, watch them burrow down into their little Moria.

I don't know what Durin's bane is in this analogy tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Polybius91 posted:

I've already brought up how they're too deep in nerd-dom to appreciate art and literature for anything more than signifiers. It's the TVTropes way of engaging with media, you just see it as a pile of devices and imagery instead of actually understanding what it's trying to say.

Not that Tolkien wasn't a reactionary himself, what with LOTR having a literal hierarchy of races from the demigod Valar to the angelic Maiar to the magical elves to the elevated Dunedain to normal humsns, and of course all the humans darker than peaches and cream threw their lot in with Sauron at the end of the Third Age.

Also Tolkien lays on the association of west with everything good with a loving hammer. The most important part of the world is the northwestern coast of Middle-earth, there was an even better land that used to be to the west of that, the bestest humans who ever lived had their own little island to the west of the mainland, until the Dunedain turned against God and God punished them, loving heaven was even further west, and even afterwards it was still kind of sort of west along some magical sea route that took you out of the world altogether. Going east or south is to be avoided at all costs, because of course those directions will lead you to Mordor and all the hot tropical lands full of Sauron-and-Morgoth-worshiping (Morgoth is basically Tolkien Satan, so some of them are literal devil worshipers) dark-skinned bad people.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Aug 11, 2015