Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

aww, so precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Typical posted:

I'm super glad you guys like the art!. The design process is actually pretty simple. we have a meeting with Justin and the art director James, he goes over the script with us. The script in episode one just said something like. "and then Rick pulls out something like an oscilloscope that he built, blows the dust off of it and turns it on. Two dots are readable on the screen" so that was pretty much all I had to go off of. I went back to my desk and sketched a bunch of those things you saw earlier. and asked the art director for notes on the designs. The art director is in charge of the entire visual style of the show. he makes sure that everything stays consistent and believable and interesting. Hes pretty much leads the art team and keeps everything on track visually. we know what were doing for the most part but hes the one that has the final say in everything. his job is also to interpret Justin's ideas. Justin doesn't really have time to draw for the show. that's not really his job. occasionally he draws doodles and stuff if he has something really specific that he wants us to do. but hes more in charge of the show as a whole. so he just tells us what he wants and picks his favorite stuff to go on screen. Later I cleaned it up inked it and drew the extra angles of it

Anyways, back to the device. James gave me some notes and we made a few adjustments here and there to make all of the designs a little more complex and interesting. and then we took the best ones and submitted it to Justin, and he picked that one. really any of those could have worked for the purpose of that machine i think. but that one was probably the easiest read.

a typical Rick invention is a amalgamation of parts and junk. they all sort of feel a certain way. its not to hard for me to come up with stuff rick would make. That one in particular was based off an old computer i made when i was 14. so it was my favorite prop for that show.

Oh also there isnt a prop "team" its just me, there are other designers though. we have a few characters designers and 4 or 5 background designers. and then a bunch of color people. Forums User Asile is on the color team and she colored the time computer machine.

These insights are really interesting and you do awesome work on an amazing show so thanks!!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yay now we are all synced up. Leak watchers and otherwise. Can't wait for next week.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Talorat posted:

Yay now we are all synced up. Leak watchers and otherwise. Can't wait for next week.

we are finally one dot!

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I love Bandito Rick. :ese:

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Awww rick loved that little guy.. briefly.. but he loved him

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It was more "Shh, your pain and meaningless existence will soon come to an end, shh now" than love.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Somebody post the preview for next week k thanx

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love the little detail that he drinks some of the chemical that he just poured on the creature to thaw it. A perfect gesture in multiple ways.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ditocoaf posted:

I love the little detail that he drinks some of the chemical that he just poured on the creature to thaw it. A perfect gesture in multiple ways.

Name three.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Beth said no more alien prisoners so I guess that sad little thing had to go too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wanted to make sure the device would 100% kill him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

a cop posted:

It was more "Shh, your pain and meaningless existence will soon come to an end, shh now" than love.

To Rick what you described is a form of love.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Name three.

Okay obviously I'm going to be reaching here, but I'll give it a shot.

1) The obvious one of being so far gone he's willing to swig on a whim some chemical obviously not meant for consumption since he's killing himself anyway
2) Some kind of ritual/solidarity going through the same motions as with the creature he tested the zapper on.
3) Idunno, some bullshit about "thawing" himself since he feels bad emotionally?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 10, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah nice work! TAKE THAT IRISH JOE!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody post the preview for next week k thanx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOILDdrWzc

Unthumbnailed in case people are trying to avoid all spoilers

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

lovely Treat posted:

Awww rick loved that little guy.. briefly.. but he loved him

Yep, that's the saddest goddamn thing that Adult Swim has aired since Moral Orel went off the air. I love Dan Harmon, but he can't go down the Dino Stamatopoulos Depression Expression Road this early.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fancy Hat! posted:

The show turning out to be Alien Community makes the joke way funnier.

Comm-Unity is more like it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Comm-Unity is more like it.

:golfclap:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The "closing songs from Rick And Morty" playlist:

Mazzy Star, "Look On Down From The Bridge"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVXkM_YxMg

Gerry Raferty, "Baker Street"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM

Blonde Redhead, "For The Damaged Coda"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Js-XbNj6Tk

Chaos Chaos, "Do You Feel It?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTA0DSfrGZ0

I feel as if I'm missing one.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

qntm posted:

I feel as if I'm missing one.

X Gon' Give It To Ya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx6K90TmCI

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

That episode was pretty good, not hilarious but just well done. Ending was rather depressing though!
:getout:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone else feel like that ending was a little forced? I get the whole you just got told you're a ruiner and what not, but come on. Just feels like they were going for the same kind of beat as when Morty had to bury himself and came up a little short.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
No it fits Rick.

Rick's entire thing is he's manically depressed. His adventures and drinking are him obviously trying to cope.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone else feel like that ending was a little forced? I get the whole you just got told you're a ruiner and what not, but come on. Just feels like they were going for the same kind of beat as when Morty had to bury himself and came up a little short.

Go back 2-3 pages and read the spoilered discussion because there's more to it than you're giving it credit for. Short summary: those kind of relationships that you don't much appreciation to in the moment can be the ones that wreck you the worst if they end that badly.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mokinokaro posted:

No it fits Rick.

Rick's entire thing is he's manically depressed. His adventures and drinking are him obviously trying to cope.

Yeah, Rick basically needs to be in motion 24/7. The moment were his life stops for a moment, like when his Unity dumped him, and he has time to actually think about it, everything comes crushing down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He just had two people he loves (Unity and Beth) tell him in no uncertain terms that they were done with his bullshit and that they would be fine with losing him if it meant it came to a stop. Since he defines himself by the bullshit he does, that has to hit pretty hard.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The crying blob thing kind of oversells it IMO, there must have been a better way to establish what he was trying to do to himself without dragging it out so much.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I'm not sure Beth's was "in no uncertain terms," exactly. I'm also not even sure that Beth laying down the law had any real impact on Rick. Seemed like he was pretty broken up already. That whole scene back in the Smiths' house had the feeling of Rick just going through the motions, like he'd already decided what to do. Or it seemed that way to me, at least.

Completely unrelated: Rick's secret lair in the Rickstaverse is open for business :)

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

qntm posted:

Thank you, you're a star scholar.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Don't get me wrong I loved it, the humor was just more nuanced and clever than some of the usual jokes. Also I watched after watching the True Detective finale so take my reflections with a grain of salt.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Don't get me wrong I loved it, the humor was just more nuanced and clever than some of the usual jokes. Also I watched after watching the True Detective finale so take my reflections with a grain of salt.

ya did it in the wrong order

probably should have just not watched td

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fancy Hat! posted:

The show turning out to be Alien Community makes the joke way funnier.

The fact that it wasn't revealed until after Rick's big speech was incredible. What an amazingly well done "gently caress you" by Harmon.

Also I've been listening to that Chaos Chaos song on repeat since the end of the episode.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

During that scene, when he siad "cancel it, now bring it back!" i knew it had to be community - theres nothing else it could have been.

was really satisfied that they showed it to confirm

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"Have them all make fun of the blonde one!" should have been a giveaway too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Rick can't handle problems he can't solve scientifically, of which he has many; his only solution is to take himself out of the equation because if all you are doing is causing other people trouble, removing yourself is the rational choice. Not that he has a problem with causing most people trouble but he does have a few loved ones he wants to protect from himself in his more sober moments.

But the post credits scene was actually the better ending in my opinion, because it shows that he has not (and probably will not) change one bit and I am entirely ok with that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Rick can't handle problems he can't solve scientifically, of which he has many; his only solution is to take himself out of the equation because if all you are doing is causing other people trouble, removing yourself is the rational choice. Not that he has a problem with causing most people trouble but he does have a few loved ones he wants to protect from himself in his more sober moments.

But the post credits scene was actually the better ending in my opinion, because it shows that he has not (and probably will not) change one bit and I am entirely ok with that.

Then he immediately goes back to basically yell at the front door of her friends house to try and get her back. I guess it just didn't land for me. Still a really good episode though.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

KoRMaK posted:

ya did it in the wrong order

probably should have just not watched td

I actually though the TD finale was pretty good. It will be nice to not have to worry about finishing it by the time Rick and Morty airs on Sundays though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I actually though the TD finale was pretty good. It will be nice to not have to worry about finishing it by the time Rick and Morty airs on Sundays though.

Ok, i see the problem

you have bad taste and or opinions and need to recalibrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then he immediately goes back to basically yell at the front door of her friends house to try and get her back. I guess it just didn't land for me. Still a really good episode though.
Unity did write that Rick can't change. That's why they left him.

If he changes, it will be glacially, so we can still enjoy his antics. The kids are growing, though.

• Locked thread