Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

vintagepurple posted:

This country would be a better place if young people and leftists would just go loving vote instead of jacking off about how progressive and indie they are. I don't get why the western left is more concerned with ideological purity and self-cannibalization than with defeating the common enemy, it's like a drat religious conflict. "I'll take Bush any day before I dare vote for the Marxist-Lennist-Maoists! Orthodox Second Conceiving Marxist-Leninism is the One True Leftism!"

But left-wing politics is a religious conflict. On the one hand we have The Historical Inevitability Of Full Communism, on the other we have The Second Coming Of Christ. You shall neither know the minute or the hour - although lots are confident they can divine rules from the holy book to predict it - and when it comes there will a rapturous millennium of peace & plenty for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

This country would be a better place if young people and leftists would just go loving vote instead of jacking off about how progressive and indie they are. I don't get why the western left is more concerned with ideological purity and self-cannibalization than with defeating the common enemy, it's like a drat religious conflict. "I'll take Bush any day before I dare vote for the Marxist-Lennist-Maoists! Orthodox Second Conceiving Marxist-Leninism is the One True Leftism!"

I sincerely wish a fifth column of otherwise silent marxist-leninists were the thorn in America's side and not bored and uninformed centrists in thrall to a cargo cult performance of seriousness regarding ideas like A Literal loving Wall Against Mexico and a single tax rate for all incomes. That would actually be a very cool, and good, problem to have in the grand scheme of things.

"Florida went for bush by 900 votes? clearly radical leftists are at fault for this largely red state swinging red as confirmed by a conservative judiciary!!"

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 9, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The problem with american elections is that americans cast ballots in favor of american citizens possessed of will and means to run in american elections. Once we eliminate those confounding factors, the USA will finally be a country what earns the DailyKos Seal of Probationary Recusal.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Willie Tomg posted:

The problem with american elections is that americans cast ballots in favor of american citizens possessed of will and means to run in american elections. Once we eliminate those confounding factors, the USA will finally be a country what earns the DailyKos Seal of Probationary Recusal.

So deep

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Typo posted:

So deep

Nah deep is the dude saying if the radical leftists--which are substantive--voted his way, the country would have its poo poo figured out. I'm trying to view such trenchant analysis from 30,000 feet, if you will, Hell,

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I got 7 months reduced from my federal prison sentence and a lot of my friends who are in are in for non-violent drug crimes are already getting their release dates pushed forward due to policies coming from Obama/Holder. I will always be thankful to Obama for that despite the fact that I hold many issues with his presidency otherwise.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

Nah deep is the dude saying if the radical leftists--which are substantive--voted his way, the country would have its poo poo figured out. I'm trying to view such trenchant analysis from 30,000 feet, if you will, Hell,

you're kinda dumb man

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

you're kinda dumb man

What do you think this cadre

quote:

"I'll take Bush any day before I dare vote for the Marxist-Lennist-Maoists! Orthodox Second Conceiving Marxist-Leninism is the One True Leftism!"

is in the American population as a percentage? What elections do you think it's swung? Have you had any engagement with them outside SA forums beef? Right now its sounding like that's your primary mode of political engagement which is kinda funny.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How do you judge whether a president was good or bad anyway

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ZenVulgarity posted:

Dump him in the Potomac and see if he floats

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ZenVulgarity posted:

Metacritic scores of their biopics/mini series. Those without cinematic representation will have to be judged on sales of the books about them.

Purely fictional representations of them do not count, unless they are period accurate historical fiction. A no Vampire Hunters clause.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Black Bones posted:

Dump him in the Potomac and see if he floats

I guess that makes William Howard Taft the greatest president.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Roll d100

Modifiers:

+5 if white
-15 if black
+5 if male
+10 if openly capitalist
-10 if female
-25 if gay
-10 if they fail to bomb, invade and/or otherwise gently caress with the Middle East somehow

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

ZenVulgarity posted:

That's why we're judging if he was successful or not. Good or bad is something you have to wait at least a decade for. Unless it's real drat obvious like GWB.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I think Obama's continued squeezing of the middle class is definitely a dangerous legacy that Clinton/Sanders will have to fix if they want his legacy to be completely safe in the future.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Warcabbit posted:

That's why we're judging if he was successful or not. Good or bad is something you have to wait at least a decade for. Unless it's real drat obvious like GWB.

hey man, at least i didn't vote for that milquetoast Gore

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Serious candidates? :confused:

I'm curious, what exactly are the political differences between Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton? What are the differences in temperament, connections and education?

If they're both pretty much the same why do we care so much about the election?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

I'm curious, what exactly are the political differences between Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton? What are the differences in temperament, connections and education?

Well Jeb Bush's entire set of advisors are literally his brother's and Hillary Clinton's aren't so uh, I think by very default there is a fuckload of difference.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Confounding Factor posted:

amirite

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Well Jeb Bush's entire set of advisors are literally his brother's and Hillary Clinton's aren't so uh, I think by very default there is a fuckload of difference.

Note: these advisors abandoned the obama administration and left for hillary's campaign when obama refused to start world war 3 over the islamic state declaring a revanchist caliphate over some scorpions and historical ruins, obama favoring instead to kill the islamic state with bombs dropped by remote controlled robots and denying the adversary their end-times prophecy.

Hillary Clinton will accede to Political realityTM, which is of course the only reality which counts to Serious PersonsTM, which is that we need to start a war in a place what doesn't have anything actually worth fighting over, against people who want nothing more than to kill Americans for giggles. This is a position of Seriousness, and you subject yourself to as much as lukewarm mockery for pointing this out IRL (IRL being defined as internet posts (which is de facto IRL for people who think that marxist-leninists are the spoilers in American politics.))

Barack Obama is a fine president. He's fine. He's not great. He's fine. We needed fine these last few years, I think, probably.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

Note: these advisors abandoned the obama administration and left for hillary's campaign when obama refused to start world war 3 over the islamic state declaring a revanchist caliphate over some scorpions and historical ruins, obama favoring instead to kill the islamic state with bombs dropped by remote controlled robots and denying the adversary their end-times prophecy.

Hillary Clinton will accede to Political realityTM, which is of course the only reality which counts to Serious PersonsTM, which is that we need to start a war in a place what doesn't have anything actually worth fighting over, against people who want nothing more than to kill Americans for giggles. This is a position of Seriousness, and you subject yourself to as much as lukewarm mockery for pointing this out IRL (IRL being defined as internet posts (which is de facto IRL for people who think that marxist-leninists are the spoilers in American politics.))

Barack Obama is a fine president. He's fine. He's not great. He's fine. We needed fine these last few years, I think, probably.

i was joking idiot

it was a joke

i substituted dumb internet marxists for actual "idk man bush, gore, who cares, 420 bruh" idiots

they're idiots

like u

lemme go on the record: il n'existe pas a large group of marxist us voters, i'll admit it.

otoh i'll wager there were 901 such idiots in florida who might've saved a brown life or 2

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

dnddoesnotundertandeconomics.txt

I'm loving chomping at the bit to tear OP a new lobotomy and rear end in a top hat, because using whitehouse.org henpecked statistics to support the POTUS is one of the dumbest things I have seen pass for 'critical discussion' around these parts. Obama is one of the worst presidents in US history. Small P.

To draw a few lines in the sand for argumentative sake:

- GM destroyed Ch 13 bankruptcy law
- Obamacare eliminated the WTI windfall, and generated double the cash burn rate for the US debt clock
- AHA proved to be responsible for over 1.3mm layoffs
- expanding the H1-B program successfully led to all female long-term employment gains since 2010 going to immgrant workers for white collar non-seasonal jobs. Wage growth under Obama is the worst not just for at risk demographics like the single family home, but for all Americans since we started tracking it in 1926
- Only POTUS to leave office with less than 4 trade deals inked. Actually if you exclude TPP, US trade policy fell under Obama worst since 1975 (Carter).
- Only POTUS to come into office with a promise to end illegal torture; ended up allowing it to continue, expanded DHS to retain all phone conversations / email for 5 years. Condemned Iraq, expanded Presidential orders to include Drone actions which are basically non-Congressional approved acts of war.
- Only POTUS to never pass a budget, a technical and constitutional violation of the job
- Ask the MENA how that whole "lead from behind" worked out. Goons are tender on this subject.
- Enforcement of Chinese IP theft.
- The Green Shoots Fiasco. Anyone want some Fisker Karma bonds? I can cite some very goony D&D posters who swore this was the next Ford Motors...
- Taken Israeli relations to their lowest point since 1967. Ditto for EU and Canadian relations
- Most transparent regime ever; unless you discount his 87 extra-judicial and presidential order appointees, and record (we still dont know how many beyond the 300 denied FOIA's) information blocks. Google it, start with his Recess appointments and work out from there.
- Afganistan and Pakistan are still bitter about that whole killing Osama on their soil, without telling them thing. Ironic seeing Barry was the biggest voice on 'illegal' occupations.
- IRS plants and planting evidence on Conservative groups to shut them down. I dont care how much you argue about the Tea Party being the next WACO nutjobs, the cut and dry fact is that a POTUS told their appointee to begin monitoring these groups with the intent to shut them down. It was illegal when Nixon told the FBI to target black panthers and communists, its illegal when the shoe is on the other foot. End.
- Wiretapping the Associated Press, placing 'imbedded officers' of the state department inside AP to ensure "factual" reporting.
- Fast & Furious. Blocking an investigation into Eric Holder & then refusing to accept his resignation and an arrest warrant for the NY AG.P
- Pigford Scandal.
- Veterans Affairs
- Sharyl Attkisson’s computer
- Alejandro Mayorkas
- Healthcare.gov, I don't care how you walk around AHA's effect on the US public, explain away how CGI Federal won the contract without sending in a bid order, against Treasury Dept. protests. It takes alot to make Timmy G raise a red flag for gently caress sake.
- Keystone XL; Tom Steyer's personal slush fund.
- Lobby actions have grown by 4x since Obama entered office. Average Clinton year saw 80 lobby firms or agents approach the Oval office. Under Barry its 1,300 and climbing.
- Jay Carney. Because the greatest POTUS of all time needs a few brothers, sisters & daughters of CBS, NBC on his immediate payroll but never felt obligated to disclose NBC was literally writing and reporting on his press ops as an impartial news source.
- Syrian rebels and ISIL. Not Bush's fault.
- Snowden. Breach of the whisleblower act by refusing Snowden asylum from NSA arrest for Treason charges, refusing to admit the extrajudicial powers were granted by Obama 1, not Bush2. Dropmire was an impeachable offense. Full stop.
- Operation ChokePoint

For the rest:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_political_scandals_in_the_United_States#2009.E2.80.93present_Barack_Obama_Administration

We can argue economics, but since Politics is the forte of D&D lets start with something easy to argue against, such as The Facts. Should you still feel that Obama is a great POTUS and the target of a "Right Wing Conspiracy" (tm, Clinton 1996), we can go tear apart your lovely repost of whitehouse.gov BLS charts. Pick any 3 of the above bullet points and try to argue he or his policy/advisory were not directly at fault for the above.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pakistan is lucky we didn't loving flatten half their cities for hiding the son of a bitch.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hal_2005 posted:

- Only POTUS to never pass a budget, a technical and constitutional violation of the job

Okay well first of all this isn't true, a budget passed was signed in 2009 and in 2013 and 2014. But even if it were, let's check the constitution to see whose job that is

Article 1, Section 8, US Constitution posted:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
...[blah blah blah all the stuff congress can do]...
To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

Hmm, well let's see what Article 2 has to say about the president's responsibility for raising revenue and passing appropriations bills

Article 2, US Constitution posted:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 10, 2015

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Pakistan is lucky we didn't loving flatten half their cities for hiding the son of a bitch.

Do you honestly think a FedEx courier and his packing receipts was the case break in pinning down Osama? The USA is lucky Pakistan does not turn over the 10 years of deniable drone activities and black prisons on Paki soil to the free tribals, plus sue the USA for damages incurred in the 'war on terror'. The blowback and civil claims under NY law would be well north of the US$3b in foreign aid PAK received each year. 1 prison nearly impeached Bush, what would 20 sites that we know of (!!) do for the Obama "legacy".

Edit: For the above, who is quick on the google....

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/28/how-many-times-has-obama-violated-budget-deadline-laws-we-have-the-answer/

Each year needs a plan, at the table on the start of session. Failure to negotiate the isle only showcased just how poor the Obama team was, even compared to Clinton & Nixon. I'll let someone else internet lawyer your citations but the 2010-14 "budgets" were not ratified and are on the books as rolling 'stopgap' provisions. You are correct, the POTUS does not need to make the debts balance, but the House rejects them all the same until WH sends something which makes sense. John Boehner spent a few press ops speaking on this nuisance in 2014 which you should quote alongside those hyperlinks so other Goons do not make the same mistake you just did.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 10, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If Boehner had even a little control over the radical elements in his party, maybe there would've been enough compromise to pass a budget that didn't include complete defunding of Obamacare. There's your problem.

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015

Typo posted:

amirite

Wow that is a really spot on cartoon! Thanks for sharing it maybe I should look in that political cartoons thread if there is stuff in there that is like this :)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Plastics posted:

Wow that is a really spot on cartoon! Thanks for sharing it maybe I should look in that political cartoons thread if there is stuff in there that is like this :)

You are going to be so very, very disappointed, but we'll be glad to have you join us. You'll want booze, lots and lots of booze.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

The USA is lucky Pakistan does not turn over the 10 years of deniable drone activities and black prisons on Paki soil to the free tribals, plus sue the USA for damages incurred in the 'war on terror'. The blowback and civil claims under NY law would be well north of the US$3b in foreign aid PAK received each year. 1 prison nearly impeached Bush, what would 20 sites that we know of (!!) do for the Obama "legacy".

Pakistan suing the USA for damages?

I laughed out loud, thanks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Hal_2005 posted:

- AHA proved to be responsible for over 1.3mm layoffs

I assume you mean ACA? Can you source this?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I assume you mean ACA? Can you source this?

He's loving with you, idiot.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Pakistan suing the USA for damages?

I laughed out loud, thanks.

I laughed too. But it still happens, we even have specialists in the Hague who do just this kind of garbage for a living.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/08/20138288442133524.html

Russia was just nailed with a 8b damage on behalf of Yukos bondholders, so while I can keep laughing you may want to do a bit of reading.

Edit:

AHA, jobs. Because google is hard for a DNC apologist:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisconover/2014/02/24/obamacare-will-cost-2-9-million-or-more-jobs-a-year/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

I laughed too. But it still happens, we even have specialists in the Hague who do just this kind of garbage for a living.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/08/20138288442133524.html

Russia was just nailed with a 8b damage on behalf of Yukos bondholders, so while I can keep laughing you may want to do a bit of reading.

The point is that the USA, unlike Russia, doesn't have to give a flying gently caress about any of that. One of the benefits of being the most powerful country on Earth.

I mean you may be too young to remember this but back in 2005 there was talk in Congress about cutting USA's contributions to the UN by half, and the UN practically shat its pants. Just to give you an idea of who the boss is.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I remember that but I thought it turned out we don't give them that much money in the first place.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Obamacare is the only reason I have health insurance right now. Because of this I am attending nursing school (which requires health insurance) having not had it for 5 years previously, and I have been saved from medical bankruptcy for a surgery I needed last year.

Obama is awesome.

gently caress the haters.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 11, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sergg posted:

Obamacare is the only reason I have health insurance right now. Because of this I am attending nursing school (which requires health insurance) having not had it for 5 years previously, and I have been saved from medical bankruptcy for a surgery I needed last year.

Obama is awesome.

Nursing is awesome. Go for it. I love it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

I remember that but I thought it turned out we don't give them that much money in the first place.

More than 20% of the UN budget comes from the US.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sergg posted:

Obama is awesome.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong because I wrote a block of text calling Obama worse than Herbert Hoover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This moron thinks Stephen Harper is good. Ignore.

• Locked thread