Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
dinosaur excavation? long awaited?
http://playstarbound.com/28th-july-so-you-two-uh-dig-up-dinosaurs/

:psyduck:

edit:

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way things like this and that tedious gardening update are worded it sounds like people are just independently adding features to a core game without a concise plan for what that game is supposed to actually be. There are updates, sure, but updates to what?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reiley posted:

The way things like this and that tedious gardening update are worded it sounds like people are just independently adding features to a core game without a concise plan for what that game is supposed to actually be. There are updates, sure, but updates to what?

Look, I'm not defending starbound, but uhh...

Weren't we just saying they don't ever update? Then we remember the nightlies, and woops, it's updated all the time. Then the updates aren't the right updates? Do they not get credit for updating the nightly literally all the time?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Weren't we just saying they don't ever update? Then we remember the nightlies, and woops, it's updated all the time. Then the updates aren't the right updates? Do they not get credit for updating the nightly literally all the time?

That's what I was saying. There are updates but there is an absence of fundamental directions. I don't know why combat wants to be like Dark Souls, or why difficulty is measured not in how much you need to do but how much you can't actually do, or why a sandbox universe about infinite worlds is tuned to lock you out of every direction but forward. I don't understand what their overarching vision is but it's cool that you can dig up bones and gardening is "harder" now. What in the hell is this game supposed to be when it's all done? Why was it legitimately more fun in early alpha before they began adding things to it? Believe me I want to embrace the Bird Game but it sounds like a Duke Nukem Forever sort of situation under the hood.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

You must be new here

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was part of the kickstarter-esque thing they had when selling preorders. nevermind that minecraft and somehow terraria have beaten it to the punch already.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea, Terraria but better is the pitch. So there are supposed to be apartments, and you can either buy your way through tiers using mercantilism, or grind your way through them, doing quests and poo poo, or farm your way through them, by eventually growing pixels or some poo poo. That's why everything is getting harder, because they're not trying to make a fun game right now, so it's just a bunch of half built systems.

The harder gardening will tie into a farming tier system. The dark souls combat would be tweaked for the adventure/quest system. The (eventual) rent and poo poo would tie into the "be a manor lord" system.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
So what you're saying is it's bad, and it will remain bad for the foreseeable future.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The model for combat this game should be following is Soldat. It almost is but it also really isn't, and I think that's the biggest disappointment of all. They're not even cribbing off the right genre, let alone the right game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Afraid of Audio posted:

So what you're saying is it's bad, and it will remain bad for the foreseeable future.

Yeah p much

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
its a game about alpacas and it has been ever since they did a necessary move to england and lost their competent coder

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Terraria could really use a way to get displayable dino bones out of those fossils you can already dig up.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Literally anytime people have said the game never updates, they also say that nightlies don't count. Its always been that way for some bizarre reason. If its not the stable branch, it doesn't count. End of story.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DeliciousCookie posted:

Literally anytime people have said the game never updates, they also say that nightlies don't count. Its always been that way for some bizarre reason. If its not the stable branch, it doesn't count. End of story.

Is "The Nightly Build Saves will regularly be ruined" a bizarre reason now? Or have the nightly builds reached a point where they will never mess with your saves?

That's pretty much the main reason people said the nightly build doesn't count. The big neon sign saying "Hey your saves can and will be hosed without warning."

With a side of nightly being so in flux it's hard to rely on compared to a stable build (Hey remember when they made it so the manipulator could only dig up dirt and rocks? Then you needed to build a stone pick to be able to dig copper, then had to build a copper pick to dig iron, and and finally be able to make an anvil for better weapons and armor, and then needed an Iron pick to dig up soft stuff like gold?)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 10, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it depends on the specific update but fairly often saves n such will get wrecked if you use dailies yeah

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DeliciousCookie posted:

That's kind of how software works, though. Nightly builds are unstable garbage where you just build whatever happens to be there no matter how badly it functions. They aren't proper versions. A developer releasing nightlies is more "hey if you ever wanted to see how bad games are before they're released take a look!" than actual releases.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I wanted Starbound to be a good game. I really did. I was a Chucklefish apologist full of hope and joy for a while.

Now I'm a cynical, broken man who hates video games. All of them.

Im in the same boat. Except that starbound is making me like the idea of playing WoW and paying for a game i love to hate to play. .

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Section Z posted:

With a side of nightly being so in flux it's hard to rely on compared to a stable build (Hey remember when they made it so the manipulator could only dig up dirt and rocks? Then you needed to build a stone pick to be able to dig copper, then had to build a copper pick to dig iron, and and finally be able to make an anvil for better weapons and armor, and then needed an Iron pick to dig up soft stuff like gold?)

Yeah, I remember. A magical BeforeTyme when you could mine ore by sand surfing and combat was just a flat boring placeholder instead of a directionless morass. Oh, the good old days...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Im in the same boat. Except that starbound is making me like the idea of playing WoW and paying for a game i love to hate to play. .
Please call a helpline if you feel an urge to self-harm. :(

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Asimo posted:

Please call a helpline if you feel an urge to self-harm. :(

You play STO, how many helplines should I be calling on your behalf?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

All of them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I honestly never really cared much at all about the sand-mining change. I don't think it was that big of a deal and I don't think it was iconic of a downward turn away from fun concepts.
That award should go to something way worse, like precision platforming so precarious even the developer demos can't pull it off, while also getting slowed down to half speed if the cursor is on the wrong side of the screen.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Patware posted:

well there was a pattern for a while of people saying actual reasonable things because supernorn was floating around and acted like he wanted to hear them

then he never responded to a single thing anyone said and bloodlust overcame the earth

now he just does like what he just did, throwing links into the howling storm like dropping care packages off into africa

A better analogy would be someone ripping a gnarly fart as they powerwalk at max speed through a room full of people complaining about how bad it smells already.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dootman posted:

You play STO, how many helplines should I be calling on your behalf?

I play STO occasionally. The space ship combat is fun in short bursts. ... Theres something wrong with me isn't there? :(

Im gonna install STO right now while watching an episode of voyager. Theres a legend among my people that say voyager was both the best and worst star trek series.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 10, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cicadas! posted:

A better analogy would be someone ripping a gnarly fart as they powerwalk at max speed through a room full of people complaining about how bad it smells already.

in reality nobody cares

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

I never understood the ripping on Supernorn. It's not the like dude is behind all the poo poo decisions, he's just the messenger.

I mean, I do understand it, in that goons will shoot anyone, especially the messenger, but still.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Reiley posted:

That's what I was saying. There are updates but there is an absence of fundamental directions. I don't know why combat wants to be like Dark Souls, or why difficulty is measured not in how much you need to do but how much you can't actually do, or why a sandbox universe about infinite worlds is tuned to lock you out of every direction but forward. I don't understand what their overarching vision is
The're isn't one because they don't have a design document.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The dream of a playable Space Station 13 died at least in part for Starbound. That cannot be forgiven.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section Z posted:

Is "The Nightly Build Saves will regularly be ruined" a bizarre reason now? Or have the nightly builds reached a point where they will never mess with your saves?

That's pretty much the main reason people said the nightly build doesn't count. The big neon sign saying "Hey your saves can and will be hosed without warning."

I just loaded up the nightie and my save from 3+ months ago worked. All the mods I made also worked, including the no slower backstep mod

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was part of the kickstarter-esque thing they had when selling preorders. nevermind that minecraft and somehow terraria have beaten it to the punch already.

Ok, where in Minecraft is there dinosaur excavation?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wanna say it's only in mods for Minecraft.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

chucklefish has added overwhelmingly excessive punishments for:

• moving
  • attacking
  • mining
  • building

in their sandbox exploration game and strictly enforces the "right" way to play with an obtuse quest system. but that's just my opinion. tiy, how would you describe starbound ??

oh well that's uh. those are just games. what exactly are you copying ??

well what about combat ?? where would you say you're pulling inspiration from there ??

(2012)

can't say i see it, but maybe it's there. how has combat changed in three years ??

it's "finally" ""fun"". like symphony of the night i guess. what about mining, what are your thoughts on balancing the matter manipulator and pickaxes

:geno:

any big plans for the future

Jackard posted:

excuse me

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Doorstops and books propping up table legs are not design documents.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I just loaded up the nightie and my save from 3+ months ago worked. All the mods I made also worked, including the no slower backstep mod

That basically means that they have done jack poo poo since then.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the nightlies go weeks without changing anything so its pretty funny whenever anyone mentions them

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Last I checked, Dwarf Fortress updates were larger and more frequent than Starbound

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

I wanna say it's only in mods for Minecraft.

the only way to play minecraft

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Where's that hilarious medieval comic when ya need it?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I have faith that starbound will one day be finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Ragequit posted:

Tyi which one of these is "Piss off socially stunted Starbound backers"? Hopefully all of the circles, followed by "Nerd tears" in the rectangles.

pon alien posted:

I dunno, "unfocused joke" is an exceptionally accurate description of Starbound's future.

And then people got upset at me for a period of time because I can scry the fourth dimension. Happy 1 year-ish shitposting anniversary.

• Locked thread