Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

They were working smarter, not harder, okay

I never have any mana issues on WHM/Scholar, but I've definitely been feeling the pinch on some bosses at the higher end (Vault, in particular) as I'm leveling Astrologian. Is my gear just bad, or is this a common issue for the class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did level 44 Garuda today and it was a bit painful. I dont look forward to HM. Two different groups after the first got disbanded and second group ran through two healers because they couldn't keep tank alive. As a lowly DPS I just want to thank people for hanging around and suffering through.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
So I played this to level 42 WHM last jan, and originally my plan was hope the game's level cap increase meant now instead of level to 50 and then care about gear/dungeons, now wait until 60 to do that because no MMO on the planet would sanely gate you through level X content after a cap increase.

How correct was I at this? Mostly because FFXI had a bad habit of not being this in the least.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Harlock posted:

Did level 44 Garuda today and it was a bit painful. I dont look forward to HM. Two different groups after the first got disbanded and second group ran through two healers because they couldn't keep tank alive. As a lowly DPS I just want to thank people for hanging around and suffering through.

HM Garuda is loads easier than NM, don't worry about it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lord Psychodin posted:

So I played this to level 42 WHM last jan, and originally my plan was hope the game's level cap increase meant now instead of level to 50 and then care about gear/dungeons, now wait until 60 to do that because no MMO on the planet would sanely gate you through level X content after a cap increase.

How correct was I at this? Mostly because FFXI had a bad habit of not being this in the least.

You're gated at 50 if you don't buy HW, if you do you can continue leveling while doing the 2.1-2.55 content which will really only amount to maybe lvl 51 unless you're incredibly slow at completing it all like I was and manage to fit in a few duty roulettes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Harlock posted:

Hilariously, Garuda Story Mode is easily the hardest version of the fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I did a little science this evening and figured out how perception relates to the base rarity increase from appraisal actions. Every item has a minimum and maximum perception for appraisal, similar but not equal to the minimum and maximum perception for HQ chance. Below the minimum, the base rarity is 80, and above the maximum it's 115. Between the min and the max, the base rarity increases via a step function that roughly correlates to 1 base rarity for every 3 perception. The min and max are exactly 100 perception apart for every item (as far as I can tell). For example, the base rarity for level 60 non-starred items starts increasing at 485 perception, and caps out at 585 perception.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice

pandaK posted:

You're gated at 50 if you don't buy HW, if you do you can continue leveling while doing the 2.1-2.55 content which will really only amount to maybe lvl 51 unless you're incredibly slow at completing it all like I was and manage to fit in a few duty roulettes.

So even if I get the expansion, essentially no since I hate group content other thsn FATE stuff huh ? drat.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Harlock posted:

Normal Garuda is actually by far the hardest. HM is easily out-geared and taken down before any of the mechanics have a chance to come into play, whereas NM actually takes a basic level of awareness to clear, and is thus beyond the level of some pugs.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lord Psychodin posted:

So even if I get the expansion, essentially no since I hate group content other thsn FATE stuff huh ? drat.

if you buy the expansion you could probably still just nerd train all the way up to 60 in a matter of hours in coerthas and then still have to go through all the lvl 50 content because you need to clear that before you get access to HW proper.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's weird but I found NM Garuda found more tolerable and PUGable than Titan. Maybe because both of my successful runs on it had me tanking.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

pandaK posted:

if you buy the expansion you could probably still just nerd train all the way up to 60 in a matter of hours in coerthas and then still have to go through all the lvl 50 content because you need to clear that before you get access to HW proper.

Nope, gotta do the 2.55 story to even get into Ishgard at all.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nuru posted:

Nope, gotta do the 2.55 story to even get into Ishgard at all.

"lvl 50 content" includes 2.55 story

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

pandaK posted:

"lvl 50 content" includes 2.55 story

When you said "train all the way" I thought you were implying fates in Ishgard, since doing N Than to 60 may cause brain damage.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nuru posted:

When you said "train all the way" I thought you were implying fates in Ishgard, since doing N Than to 60 may cause brain damage.

brain gaff, yeah i meant n than. and it's not like tons of people haven't done exactly that already, what's stopping anyone else right

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

AS2 is pretty easy but good god is it boring as gently caress.

it is a lot more interesting if you're the guy in the Gobwalker

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

AS2 is pretty easy but good god is it boring as gently caress.

You can't talk about difficulty when you have i200 weapons.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Whizbang posted:

Who doesn't want to be in Moggle Mog? It's a fun fight with great music and it's over in like 2 mins. I'll take Mog roulette over another loving Chrysalis any day.

Yea I just did the fight there and holy crap, I think it's my favourite trial so far. We only wiped once :' )

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Came back after a year, ground out 2.2-2.55, now at heavensward (ishgard is cool I guess). When in the hell is the first HW dungeon?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Lord Psychodin posted:

If you hate group content, you'll hate Heavensward. There are four required dungeons and two required trials along the main story quest to 60, and essential features like access to specific zones and flight are gated behind then.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Anderron Shi posted:

Came back after a year, ground out 2.2-2.55, now at heavensward (ishgard is cool I guess). When in the hell is the first HW dungeon?
51, it's a sidequest in Coerthas Western. Totally missed it myself on launch, as I assumed all the dungeons would be on the MSQ.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

Roughly level 51. It's gated behind a side quest in western ceorthas. Dungeons will then appear every odd level thereafter.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Any eurogoon tanks interested in joining a static? We've got 7 weirdos together from DGKK and we're gonna do things roughly 7pm-11pm GMT a couple of days a week, likely a mixture of primals, coil catchup and gearing up in Alex before moving on to Alex Savage. We've had a group chat going out of the game for a while but we're gearing up to start running together now, so if you're interested, PM me or /tell me in game, I'm Arelle Doomraix!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Also, I did the beginning quest for one of the Fortemps brothers which takes you to Western Coerthas, and I forgot to attune to the aetheryte. How do I get back there?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Anderron Shi posted:

Also, I did the beginning quest for one of the Fortemps brothers which takes you to Western Coerthas, and I forgot to attune to the aetheryte. How do I get back there?

You're hosed, delete your character and start over

There should be zone lines either by Skysteel Manufactory or Athenaeum Astrologicum (airship docks).

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sarrisan posted:

Roughly level 51. It's gated behind a side quest in western ceorthas. Dungeons will then appear every odd level thereafter.

Dusk Vigil is really fun, and the bosses aren't stupidly hard. I liked it a lot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Suitaru posted:

There should be zone lines either by Skysteel Manufactory or Athenaeum Astrologicum (airship docks).

I think the zone lines stay locked for a little while, but there should be an npc somewhere that lets you through.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Dusk Vigil is really fun, and the bosses aren't stupidly hard. I liked it a lot.

Does the dungeon give xp throughout?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, post 50 dungeons give tons of exp again.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Why wouldn't it?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Just checking.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lord Psychodin posted:

If you hate group content you are wasting your time playing this game.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Anderron Shi posted:

In case you didn't find it yet, just talk to the chocokeep near Skysteel Manufactory. The zone line stays locked until you have a flying mount.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you hate group content you are wasting your time playing this game.

Especially considering how easy this game makes it to find and form groups.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lord Psychodin posted:

why are you playing an mmorpg if you hate playing with groups

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Doublestep posted:

tying DRK's tp restore to a defensive cooldown is stupid as hell because it makes it completely worthless for offtank drks, which is where the TP problem arises almost exclusively in content that matters

I'm not sure why putting "when this is active you regain TP" on a button that is otherwise useless while offtanking makes it worthless for offtanking?

In general though, I think it'd be better if the system was entirely changed so that everyone's core rotation was TP neutral or TP positive and there were some buttons that cost a huge amount of TP but were comparatively very strong. Like, double or triple the cost of One Ilm Punch but make it 300 potency or something.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

autism

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that some people play this because it's Final Fantasy MMO and some people play this because it's Final Fantasy MMO.

Group A might enjoy the story well enough but they stick around for the fights and the grouping and the challenge and gear grind and social aspect and pretty potato dress-up.

Group B might range from tolerating to kinda-liking the game content per se, but are primarily interested in seeing it for the story, and will often stop playing for long stretches and come back occasionally to catch up on story.

(This is, of course, by no means binary and there's plenty of overlap. My point is that there can absolutely be people for whom the MMO aspect holds no appeal or even serves as a drawback.)

Either way, the required grouping to get through the story is relatively minimal. It's nothing worse than you encounter on the way to 50, namely a dungeon or an easy trial here and there. You don't need to be the Super Awesomest Person Ever at gameplay to get through that stuff (although you'll certainly get through it faster and cleaner if you are), but it's a good idea to at least make sure you've got the basics down.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What ilvl should I be at before I try Bis-EX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

What ilvl should I be at before I try Bis-EX?

What does the game say the minimum iLevel requirement is for that trial? That's the iLevel you should be at. Others suggest an i170 weapon.

• Locked thread