Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the latest on Superpro?

Marvel no longer has the rights, the NFL was seriously attempting to get a reboot going when they realized nobody would buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't someone make a fake comic cover with all the poo poo Marvel no longer has the rights to on it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't someone make a fake comic cover with all the poo poo Marvel no longer has the rights to on it?

I think it was a series of covers wasn't it?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Along with NFL Superpro, there's ROM, Godzilla, the Micronauts and someone else I can't identify (Road Warrior?). Should've had Conan.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RandallODim posted:

Along with NFL Superpro, there's ROM, Godzilla, the Micronauts and someone else I can't identify (Road Warrior?). Should've had Conan.

Shogun Warriors, big Japanese robot toys from the '70s that came from different anime, manga, and toy lines, but were rebranded together as part of one big line from Bandai. Toys were huge and heavy, full of die-cast metal parts and missiles that actually fired. I would think most are huge collectors' items today.

The comics... not so much. (Although they did fight Godzilla, if I'm not mistaken.)

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

RandallODim posted:

Haha! Jokes on them, Bug is Marvels, he was just a IN micronaughts same as the dire wraiths were in ROM but can be used! :colbert:

*edit* drat it autocorrect..

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 10, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bug had to be cut from GotG for rights issues.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know how it ended but at one point in Avengers Arena Darkhawk got the amulet ripped out of him and it was put in Chase from Runaways.

I think he got it back by the end.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Shogun Warriors, big Japanese robot toys from the '70s that came from different anime, manga, and toy lines, but were rebranded together as part of one big line from Bandai. Toys were huge and heavy, full of die-cast metal parts and missiles that actually fired. I would think most are huge collectors' items today.

The missiles only fired for a while. After a few kids swallowed them (or somebody decided that kids would swallow them), the newer versions came with missiles that only popped out a half-inch when "fired".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's so beautiful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

prefect posted:

The missiles only fired for a while. After a few kids swallowed them (or somebody decided that kids would swallow them), the newer versions came with missiles that only popped out a half-inch when "fired".

That kid who choked on his Battlestar Galactica toy has so much to answer for if he didn't die. And I had one of those loving toys (given to me by grandparents) and it still fired the loving missile!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

That kid who choked on his Battlestar Galactica toy has so much to answer for if he didn't die. And I had one of those loving toys (given to me by grandparents) and it still fired the loving missile!

Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Reading Books of Doom for the first time. When did all the backstory of Doom being a technogypsywizard first start to surface? Was it in Lee and Kirby's run? All the old stuff I see with Doom just portrays him as a cackling crazy monarch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

Reading Books of Doom for the first time. When did all the backstory of Doom being a technogypsywizard first start to surface? Was it in Lee and Kirby's run? All the old stuff I see with Doom just portrays him as a cackling crazy monarch.

In his first appearance he kidnaps Sue and forces the rest of the team to go back in time on his time machine to retrieve Black Beard's treasure, which is supposed to contain Merlin's jewels that have magic powers, so you've got magic and super science in the very first go. (That's also the comic where Thing canonically becomes the historical Black Beard). No idea when they first revealed his gypsy heritage, but probably when it was decided he was the ruler of a sovereign nation, which was also during the Lee/Kirby run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

In his first appearance he kidnaps Sue and forces the rest of the team to go back in time on his time machine to retrieve Black Beard's treasure, which is supposed to contain Merlin's jewels that have magic powers, so you've got magic and super science in the very first go. (That's also the comic where Thing canonically becomes the historical Black Beard). No idea when they first revealed his gypsy heritage, but probably when it was decided he was the ruler of a sovereign nation, which was also during the Lee/Kirby run.

Yep this is from Fantastic Four 57

The gypsy thing was most likely in Annual 2.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep this is from Fantastic Four 57

The gypsy thing was most likely in Annual 2.

This panel happens right before he attaches power-draining clamps to the Surfer's head. Doom is an rear end in a top hat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

This panel happens right before he attaches power-draining clamps to the Surfer's head. Doom is an rear end in a top hat.

He is but also the best

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman experts in the house, he asked, expecting the answer no.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

prefect posted:

Correction: Doom is Doom.

It is we, with our trifling minds and feeble bodies, that are the true assholes.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 11, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doom cried when terrorists attacked on 9/11, killing thousands, so he's not that bad a guy.

He also objectively had the best 2099 book. :colbert:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
His mask was utterly stuffed with freshly cut Latverian onions for that PR moment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

In his very first panel in FF #5, he has a book with the title "Science and Sorcery" (or something to that effect) on his mad scientist's workbench.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

His mask was utterly stuffed with freshly cut Latverian onions for that PR moment.

I liked the idea he is sad it was not the Baxter Building and he did not do it. The panel also hilariously has Juggernaut who also attempted to destroy the trade center.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Avengers and Xmen: Axis is the main Axis book right? I kept waiting for the inversion event to happen but it's just kind of...there. Like I'm aware of the premise of the event so I know what's going on but I don't remember there being some psychic push from Red Skull or something to reverse alignments. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention well enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reversal is in the last issue.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

redbackground posted:

Are there any Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman experts in the house, he asked, expecting the answer no.

Depending on the era, I might be able to help you out. I know much more about the '40s and '60s than I do about the '70s and '80s, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The reversal is in the last issue.

Well everyone is already acting the opposite way and Rogers just explained it was due to the inversion spell from Wanda and Strange. I'm on #5 btw.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh that's right, I mixed it up with something.

Yeah, Red Skull is doing a hate wave and they try to reverse it and that ends up going bad. I believe because someone interrupts?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

redbackground posted:

If you're wondering whether some weird thing is really Marsten's fetish, the answer is yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Oh that's right, I mixed it up with something.

Yeah, Red Skull is doing a hate wave and they try to reverse it and that ends up going bad. I believe because someone interrupts?

Then nobody cared and it was almost completely ignored, except for Superior Iron Man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Then nobody cared and it was almost completely ignored, except for Superior Iron Man.

It is interesting that they started off the new run of Mighty Avengers with him still evil from Axis.

Also, didn't read the previous run due to Land art but Cap and the Mighty Avengers is basically just Luke Cage's street level team right? No special mandate?
E: uh can someone explain Blue Marvel? Wikipedia says he's from the 60's but no one heard about him or mentioned him until 2008?

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 12, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

I know a bit about pre-Crisis Wonder Woman, but it's mainly through the showcases and the like. I'm far from an expert.

Benito Cereno posted:

Depending on the era, I might be able to help you out. I know much more about the '40s and '60s than I do about the '70s and '80s, though.

I don't think anyone knows anything about Wonder Woman in between the white jumpsuit and Perez. I mean, I know the comics were published, but they could have been blank inside.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
It doesn't help that the only WW story from about 1971-1985 that's in print is The Twelve Labors. The book really struggled to find a direction during that time, even at one point switching to being set on Earth-2 so that it could be closer to the TV show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

It is interesting that they started off the new run of Mighty Avengers with him still evil from Axis.

Also, didn't read the previous run due to Land art but Cap and the Mighty Avengers is basically just Luke Cage's street level team right? No special mandate?
E: uh can someone explain Blue Marvel? Wikipedia says he's from the 60's but no one heard about him or mentioned him until 2008?

His backstory is that he was active in the 60s but all the information about him was suppressed. He was created quite recently.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

He's the just the Sentry mk.3, greatest totes not superman hero marvel ever had forgotten about because of racism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's the Sentry mk 2?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Sentry from Bendis's Avengers run is mk 2 since it went out of it's way to erase the original Sentry mini.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Benito Cereno posted:

It doesn't help that the only WW story from about 1971-1985 that's in print is The Twelve Labors. The book really struggled to find a direction during that time, even at one point switching to being set on Earth-2 so that it could be closer to the TV show.

Well, that was the era of "We have to print it so we keep the rights". I can't even think of any major writers or artists who worked on Wonder Woman in that period. Hitting random issues in comicbookdb tells me that Gerry Conway and Larry Hama did some issues, but it doesn't really seem to be some of their best work:

Edit: I'm still looking through these covers and Ross Andru drew a pretty awesome looking Wonder Woman.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kobra might be the shittiest villain group in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about Cobra?