Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^ I don't like the border on the grey of the forums background but I think it would look good against a darker background, and maybe with the border around 1/2 the thickness it is now.

A couple moths.

Bedsheet Moth by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Pro-Boscis by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
IMO the borders make it look like you are trying too hard to make your photos look good. They are great and are able to look good on their own, the border kinda detracts from it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The boarder will be there naturally if you print and frame them, the digital versions don't need it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Your photos remind me of Joel Sartore's photo ark project.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Portrait of a Lion by Jenseales, on Flickr

Lion pride by Jenseales, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Message received about the borders.

Here's a few more that I've recently processed...

Both are real nice. How long did you have to wait for the lions to all look in the same direction?

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Thanks - I really enjoy your photos too - looks nicer without a border.

I actually went later in the evening and they were just lounging around like that. I got really lucky!

Big cat on campus by Jenseales, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bison Family by B. B., on Flickr

Bison by B. B., on Flickr

Tourists2 by B. B., on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Yellowstone? I should get to tick that off my bucket list next year. Also Flickr's auto-tag seems to think they're elephants!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yellowstone? I should get to tick that off my bucket list next year. Also Flickr's auto-tag seems to think they're elephants!

Yeah. Only wildlife was bison. Elk don't count, since they come into my yard. The grizzly and wolf were rescues at the center.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those idiots are way too loving close to those bison.

Yellowstone is a place I'd like to love, but the people ruin everything about it. This year was particularly bad, they set records for visitors this year.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

xzzy posted:

Those idiots are way too loving close to those bison.
I wish that most people were this far away from park wildlife. I think the count at this point for the year is 5 people gored by bison in Yellowstone. As long as they get their retarded selfies with the animals it's all good though.

I had to hike around a huge field full of bison yesterday. The look on those big males when they first notice you and turn in your direction is terrifying. I've felt safer running into a bear while hiking than I felt yesterday.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
It's surprisingly hard to be restrained when you see other people getting closer.

(shot at 8mm)
Yellowstone2012 256 on Flickr

I've only been to Yellowstone in early/mid May. There are still a lot of people but not as bad as in the summer and most of the wildlife is low down in the valleys. Check the Yellowstone park website to see when the majority of the gates will be open.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dumbass

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see reports have just come out that a yellowstone worker was killed by a grizzly
http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2015/08/hiker-found-dead-in-yellowstone-was-attacked-by-grizzly/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bears are a fun hot button topic around Yellowstone, the park has enough of them now that they're starting to spill out of the park and creating problems for regional towns.. Red Lodge had a grizzly on main street a few weeks ago.

I mean, repopulation is good, but once the critters start leaving federally protected land and causing problems people are gonna be shooting the things.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pablo Bluth posted:

I see reports have just come out that a yellowstone worker was killed by a grizzly
http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2015/08/hiker-found-dead-in-yellowstone-was-attacked-by-grizzly/

We drove past that trail head when he was there. Didn't find out til later, of course.

I was shooting with a 300mm, and people walked right past me.

edit: Except the extreme closeup. That was when I was in the car, and he was on the road as we drove by.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How can you be retarded enough to go near any wild animal let alone a massive hunk of angry muscle and horn? We don't have anything like that in Australia unless you count big buff male kangaroos but it seems like most people here know not to have anything to do with them unless they come to you.

The males at their peak look like body builders though so I guess they are more intimidating than something that looks like a weird cow, and it's not like dairy cows are aggressive.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How can you be retarded enough to go near any wild animal let alone a massive hunk of angry muscle and horn? We don't have anything like that in Australia unless you count big buff male kangaroos but it seems like most people here know not to have anything to do with them unless they come to you.

The males at their peak look like body builders though so I guess they are more intimidating than something that looks like a weird cow, and it's not like dairy cows are aggressive.

You guys are like trained not to go near animals though because you live on death trap island. We have totally harmless animals in North America believe it or not

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

If there's anything that my job has taught me, it's that Americans are complete morons when it comes to understanding animals.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

William T. Hornaday posted:

If there's anything that my job has taught me, it's that Americans are complete morons when it comes to understanding animals.

This guy used to be my friend's teacher:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIFBOXHHXOA

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

People in the US are so alienated from nature that they can't conceive of it as anything other than an amusement park attraction. People get killed by mountain goats, beavers and deer because they can't comprehend that wild animals, even herbivores, will attack them if they feel threatened.

Related: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pital-bill.html

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

timrenzi574 posted:

You guys are like trained not to go near animals though because you live on death trap island. We have totally harmless animals in North America believe it or not

I was going to say it's alright not all of it will kill you but yeah nah everything here will either attack you or is a big ball of spikes or something.

Kangaroos can be bribed into coming up tp you with bread but thats about it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
When I visited Tasmania, I had more than one mutually-amazed conversation. Here in Canada, bears are to be watched out for, moose will kill you (by standing on the highway at night and landing as 3/4 tonne of meat through your windscreen at 80 km/h), and everything else is only ever seen as a tail, rapidly retreating. There are Bison and a few other legitimately dangerous creatures around some parts of the country, but relatively few places where people get mangled by anything other than aggressive deer.

In Tassie, which is basically Australia-Lite in terms of murdercritters, the largest native land animal is an overgrown wallaby weighing in at around 75kg (on a day she's feeling fat & sassy). There are three species of snakes, all venomous, and two species of spiders capable of inflicting real harm on a human (redback and some variety of Big Scary Funnelweb that only lives in the deep dark forest, rather than your kitchen like the Sydney Funnelweb). So the wildlife situation in each country is opposite: in Canada, watch out for the brute-force blunt-trauma impacts (and big sharp nasty claws & teeth), in Tassie it's don't stick your hand into the woodpile.

I was going to say it's alright not all of it will kill you but yeah nah everything here will either attack you or is a big ball of spikes or something.

Kangaroos can be bribed into coming up tp you with bread but thats about it.
BTW, those big balls of spikes are adorable :3:

(probably a repost, from a few years ago)
SD 110 Tasmanian Highlands 88 by Martin Brummell, on FlickrSD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 84 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Echidnas are the cutest, I always feel so sad when I see a dead one on the side of the road :(

Here's some content:

Echidna by Tim James, on Flickr

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
To be honest the rest of Australia is like what you saw in Tasmania too. Most places worth visiting, don't have too many animals, because the constant stream of humans in the area has scared them off or they've been hunted or similar. There's always the risk of snakes and spiders of course, but if you go camping in relatively popular spots, that's provably all you have to worry about. There are exceptions, like camping near rivers up North is a good way to get eaten, and I'd never want to swim in something closely connected to the ocean because of sharks, but for the most part, you don't have to watch out for dingoes or cassowaries or anything, and there are a fucktonne of warnings in areas where you do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone else said it, but it's mostly a false sense of security from having numbers. When you get away from the national parks people are a lot more sensible about being in the vicinity of wildlife. But when 20 tourists are constantly inching closer to get a better picture, they're going to conclude there's no harm in taking another step.

As for cows, they're bred to be stupid. Bison will start stomping poo poo for no apparent reason and is why they aren't used as livestock as much even though they're native to the US.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And if you're camping in southern Victoria, you may get your tent trampled by Wombats, they're hungry, build like tanks and give no fucks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hiking to Frenchs Farm 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The wombats were hilarious, when they realized we were there their default response was FREEZE! My GF fell while we were hiking and during the ~5 minutes it took us to work out her knee was bruised but not badly damaged there was a wombat about 3 metres away, frozen with one front paw raised, mid-step, and with a stupid look on its face of "OH poo poo I THINK THEY SAW ME!"

(I promise not to spam this thread with reposts from my Australia trip from more than 2 years ago).

(OK, 1 more, because you gave me that look)
Hiking to Frenchs Farm 27 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

How can you be retarded enough to go near any wild animal let alone a massive hunk of angry muscle and horn?

Counterpoint: city deer who don't give any fucks and will walk right up to you and go to sleep

Greeting by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Deer Tongue by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Sunset Deer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Do they have to cull bears in Yellowstone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

toggle posted:

Do they have to cull bears in Yellowstone?

They've talked about it, but get a lot of resistance whenever it's suggested. I'm not sure if it's actually happened.

They do cull the bison though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

William T. Hornaday posted:

If there's anything that my job has taught me, it's that Americans are complete morons when it comes to understanding anything.

fixed that for you

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fart Amplifier posted:

Counterpoint: city deer who don't give any fucks and will walk right up to you and go to sleep

Greeting by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Deer Tongue by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Sunset Deer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Yeah if they come to you all passive like then sure you are probably ok so long as you respect they are still animals but you wouldn't just go up to them casually surely? Sounds like a good way to get hosed up by antlers.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Bob the Orangutan by Jenseales, on Flickr

Blending In by Jenseales, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeah if they come to you all passive like then sure you are probably ok so long as you respect they are still animals but you wouldn't just go up to them casually surely? Sounds like a good way to get hosed up by antlers.

Males are the most dangerous, especially in mating season. They can do some serious damage. Mothers can be dangerous around young, because they're protective. In this case the deer are well accustomed to people. There are parks they frequent which have decent human traffic.

I usually walk within the general area and sit off to the side, and then just watch the deer do their thing. The young ones are often curious and will walk up to me to get a better look/smell. I try to make enough noise so that it's obvious that I'm there and they don't walk up accidentally and startle themselves. Their body language is also pretty easy to read if you're paying attention.

Of course it's always dangerous, and animals are unpredictable, and deer can and do kill people. If you don't know the animals, don't approach them. But with many large herbivores, if you know to keep your distance, make sure the animals know you're there, read body language, and don't cock block the horny males, you minimize your risk. I've had bighorn sheep in Jasper (which I'd never approach) walk up and lick the salty sweat off my hands.

I'm not really sure about bison. I'd probably get up and leave if one approached me. Same with moose.

But who knows. Maybe I'm going to be known as that stupid guy who got killed by a deer.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So after not getting (entirely) ripped apart for my first photographs over in Landscapes, I figured I'd start sharing stuff here as well:

Watchful Marmot
by Alexander Havens, on Flickr

Marmot Smirk

Goat Stalking

Observant Goat

Momma Goat and the Kid

Momma Goat on the Move

Butterfly Nap

Once again, since this is really my first go at owning a real camera, suggestions are more than welcome. :shobon:

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
That's a nice butterfly.

With the goat pictures, they're all pretty similar to each other and the perspective is a little bland. While mountain goats may not be the safest animal to test with,I would try getting down to eye level with the animal or perhaps even lower to emphasize the animal and its surroundings.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Did not get close enough to get gored or mauled

Bunny by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Turd Nelson posted:

That's a nice butterfly.

Thanks. :) I love how drat furry it is. Thought it was a moth at first glance until I got down near it.

Turd Nelson posted:

With the goat pictures, they're all pretty similar to each other and the perspective is a little bland. While mountain goats may not be the safest animal to test with,I would try getting down to eye level with the animal or perhaps even lower to emphasize the animal and its surroundings.

Yeah, you're right about getting level. You're also right that the goats would be a bad subject to test that out with (just look at momma's horns! :eyepop:) - especially considering all I have right now is a 12-50mm. While it does landscapes and macro well (see: butterfly picture), I was sitting about ten feet above those goats in order to get the shots. My next lens purchase is gonna be a telephoto, so hopefully I can get some better wildlife angles in the future.