Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Maybe I'm just spoiled, I've been on a major KSR kick lately. Who else writes "literary" sci-fi on a level like him? Besides, like, LeGuin?

Joanna Russ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Mieville is '"literary"'. KSR is a great writer.

EDIT: Added extra quotation marks for emphasis.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

Dyscrasia posted:

Seveneves got really infodumpy toward the end. One of those that would be much better minus 200 pages. Otherwise it was decent.

The premise of the last section was interesting enough so I'm just not sure why he didn't decide to do it as a sequel instead of a rushed novella tacked onto the end of a very different book.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Strugatsky Brothers wrote Roadside Picnic

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Okay, finished the first six parts of KJ Parker's "Two of swords" serial. Very Parkerish and, IMO, interesting. As far as the timeline goes, it's after Savages (one of the characters in the prologue mentions that he fought in the army of one of the characters from Savages) and that's all I know.

I think these last few solo novels (The Folding Knife, The Hammer, Sharps, Savages - except The Company) are the best stuff he's written. Probably because I've developed a taste for a proper ending in a book, instead of a "To be continued".

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

LemonyTang posted:

I just finished Ancillary Justice , the first of Anne Leckie's debut trilogy and it owned. I have not actually read that much so I figured the Hugo Award winner would be a safe place to start and it was. The world is super immersive and she does a great job of conveying the emotions of the protagonist. The only complaint I have is the repeated "ugh but I have so many options and they all lead to unknown/doom" summaries that seemed to crop up every other chapter towards the end of the book once it all kicked off. However the idea of the ancillaries/ships was lots of fun to read about and I'm psyched to read book two when it arrives.

Then you'll be happy to hear that Ancillary Sword came out last October and the final book is slated for this October.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

flosofl posted:

So, does anyone remember the Julian May book series of the Pliocene Saga and the related Milieu Trilogy? They turned up in my Amazon recommendations, and I'm looking to get them again. I remember loving them when I was in HS (and far less critical of what I read) when they were first put out in paperback by Del-Ray and had amazing Michael Whelan cover art. I'll write up on whether they stood the test of time and my fully developed cynicism if anyone's interested.

Related awesome Whelan cover-art of the Non Born King (Pliocene 3):

Yep! I still have those, along with the "prequel" books.

Chriswizard
May 6, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Hello thread, has anyone read Robin Hobb's new Fitz book? As someone who think she's been off form since she finished the Tawny Man trilogy, would this change my mind?

It would. Just binged Fool's Quest in a day. It's an book with a lot of payoff. I do agree with you, she did fall off her game with the non-Fitz books. Couldn't read anything after Tawny Man, but I think this trilogy will be very good indeed.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Just picked up A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge and I'm really digging it so far. The idea of a galaxy spanning internet becoming sentient and god-like is just great.

Only worry with these types of books that throw so many great concepts in, is it worth reading to the end? I was lucky to have been warned off of Endymion after devouring Hyperion :(

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Famethrowa posted:

Just picked up A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge and I'm really digging it so far. The idea of a galaxy spanning internet becoming sentient and god-like is just great.

Only worry with these types of books that throw so many great concepts in, is it worth reading to the end? I was lucky to have been warned off of Endymion after devouring Hyperion :(

Yep, it's good all the way through! A Deepness in the Sky is equally good

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

angel opportunity posted:

Yep, it's good all the way through! A Deepness in the Sky is equally good

I loved the first two. Haven't bothered with the third since I heard it was so so.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The third is clearly a setup for a final novel. Unfortunately it ditches most of the cool technology poo poo Vinge is great at for more Tines shenanigans. I don't hate the Tines or anything but the rat puppies are just nowhere near as cool as malevolent broken AIs.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Famethrowa posted:

I just finished A Fire Upon the Deep two days ago, and I read A Deepness in the Sky just before that. They're both good, but I don't think either of them stands out among Hugo winners. I didn't care for Vinge's execution of the Usenet-style galactic communications network, but I really liked the Skroderiders. I don't know how far in you are, but if you're enjoying the story, and you've gotten at least as far as the first planetfall, you'll probably enjoy it all the way through.

There's definitely no reason to quit halfway through or anything, assuming you're asking about this book, and not the entire Zones of Thought series. I think the ending is a little weak, but it's not horrible.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

I just finished A Fire Upon the Deep two days ago, and I read A Deepness in the Sky just before that. They're both good, but I don't think either of them stands out among Hugo winners. I didn't care for Vinge's execution of the Usenet-style galactic communications network, but I really liked the Skroderiders. I don't know how far in you are, but if you're enjoying the story, and you've gotten at least as far as the first planetfall, you'll probably enjoy it all the way through.

There's definitely no reason to quit halfway through or anything, assuming you're asking about this book, and not the entire Zones of Thought series. I think the ending is a little weak, but it's not horrible.

The Usenet thing really dates it but something about a sort of space SomethingAwful being the basis of civilization really got me :v:.

I'm just starting to really meet the wolf things, whose whole concept is pretty neat. I'll definitely finish it.

I've just been burned too often by disappointing endings :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Famethrowa posted:

the journey, not the destination...blah blah blah

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

No spoilers, I've always thought Vernor Vinge wrote some of the best endings: just the right amount of closure, wrap up, villain getting comeuppance and sequel plot threads unresolved.

...well, except for "Children of the Sky". That book was rubbish.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Jedit posted:

I am probably the only person here who owns a copy of Stars. This will hopefully change shortly.

Summary: Janis Ian, the former child prodigy responsible for Society's Child and latter day folk legend, is also a huge SF nut. Much to her surprise, as she's incredibly insecure, she found that a large number of SF writers are huge fans of her. Thus came to pass an anthology of 30-odd stories, all inspired by Janis Ian songs. Like most anthologies it's a curate's egg, but there's a fair amount of interesting stuff in there by people you will have heard of - I think the best known contributor is Charles de Lint.

E: I'm mistaken. The best known contributors are Orson Scott Card, Robert J Sawyer and Stephen Baxter.

I'm the second with a physical copy. Not sure where I got it but I can confirm there's some really good short story material in there.

Also thanks for this thread for the recommendation of Aurora. I bought it on a whim for my birthday and I haven't regretted paying for the hardback copy. I might have to explore the Mars series now; I think I tried them back as a pre-teen and I found them too dry to keep my interest.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'll go out on a limb and say that i thought deepness was a better book, I really like the ideas behind a fire upon the deep but i didn't like the tines segments all that much. The spider aliens were more interesting.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Deepness was my favourite too. They're both great but I think Deepness is one of the best SF books I've ever read, along with Hyperion.

The 30 page flashback Pham has is in itself an epic space opera. And it's surrounded by a fantastic first contact story.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Why a monolitic thread about SciFi and Fantasy? Why you've done this to me? :argh:

I mean seriously, this is really really bad.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Checking in with the Hugo news: http://carriecuinn.com/2015/08/10/a-statement-about-lou-antonelli-lakeside-circus-harassment-and-safety/

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Snuffman posted:

No spoilers, I've always thought Vernor Vinge wrote some of the best endings: just the right amount of closure, wrap up, villain getting comeuppance and sequel plot threads unresolved.

...well, except for "Children of the Sky". That book was rubbish.

This makes me very sad. Admittedly, the way Fire is setup makes a sequel to Deepness impossible, or at least hard to justify, but Vinge is so good that the mediocrity of Children is just depressing. He writes one every five years or so, so a stinker makes the wait pretty long.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Do you ever stumble into an online argument halfway in and try to figure out what positions are actually being taken, but the argument has already progressed to the point where both sides are just taking semantic potshots and complaining about complaints made regarding previous complaints? I'm getting that feeling right now.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

andrew smash posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say that i thought deepness was a better book, I really like the ideas behind a fire upon the deep but i didn't like the tines segments all that much. The spider aliens were more interesting.

I think both alien races are interesting, but I prefer the multiplicity of alien cultures in A Fire Upon the Deep. Although most of the races weren't gone into very deeply in A Fire Upon the Deep, it made the environment in that book seem richer. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite between the Tines and the Spiders, but with a gun to my head, I might say "spiders" because I liked Sherkaner and Hrunkner.

I think Vinge does a better job of shifting between viewpoints in A Fire Upon the Deep. I really didn't like the jumping back and forth between the humans and the spiders in A Deepness in the Sky. I found it annoying and distracting. There were several times I didn't even want to keep reading because I felt he had cut from one story to the other at a bad time, mainly when he would shift just as I was becoming invested in the current storyline. I didn't get that feeling from A Fire Upon the Deep.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

Do you ever stumble into an online argument halfway in and try to figure out what positions are actually being taken, but the argument has already progressed to the point where both sides are just taking semantic potshots and complaining about complaints made regarding previous complaints? I'm getting that feeling right now.

I've no idea who the people involved in that argument actually are, but the guy did his best effort to try and get a guy arrested short of SWATing him to prevent him from speaking at a con, because of some stupid disagreement, flat out admitted it on a podcast, and then played the victim and riled up harassment and threats against someone who called him out on it. That seems less of a semantic potshot and more completely unacceptable harassment.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 11, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Man... Django Wexler's Shadow Campaigns is great. I've been listening to "Revolutions" podcast lately and it's gotten me into a real French Revolution mood. French Revolution with demons and stuff is awesome. I've ploughed about a third into Price of Valor and it's only gotten better with every book.

I kind of wish Janus was a POV character as the POV characters are probably the weakest part of the books. I can see why he isn't though. It's kinda funny how obvious of a stand-in he is to Napoleon: A lower noble beloved by his subordinates. Originating from a faraway province with a distinct, ugly sounding, accent. Interested and an expert in artillery. Called by his first name. I wonder what figure from the revolution this guy represents!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Janus wouldn't really work as a POV character because the entire thing about his plotting and strategies is that nobody else knows what he's up to, what his goals are, or how trustworthy he actually is. Putting the reader inside his head would change that all up. Sure, the other characters still wouldn't know, but I think that getting to look behind the curtain would make things worse.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
It would be like making Sherlock Holmes a viewpoint character, I feel. He's too wierd to be a relateable character and his role in the story is somewhat of a deus ex machina. That and keeping his vaguely hinted at deeper motivations secret.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

I've no idea who the people involved in that argument actually are, but the guy did his best effort to try and get a guy arrested short of SWATing him to prevent him from speaking at a con, because of some stupid disagreement, flat out admitted it on a podcast, and then played the victim and riled up harassment and threats against someone who called him out on it. That seems less of a semantic potshot and more completely unacceptable harassment.

Antonelli is pretty much a POS but on File 770's roundup there's a post from him basically claiming he's just a tone deaf idiot and an actual apology. On the one hand, he seems to have kind of a history of that sort of behavior--on the other he seems to be trying to make good this time. Not sure about the believability of his excuses though, there's no way you could possibly post something like that and not expect the target to receive a torrent of abuse.

Also, among other recommendations to the business meeting this year, the committee set up last year to investigate adding a YA Hugo has recommended doing that. It would contrast to the Andre Norton Award in that ANA is given by the SFWA like the Nebulas, and a YA Hugo would be nominated and voted in the normal (whatever normal shall become) way. Given the immense surge of YA SF/Fantasy, it seems like a fair addition though I don't know how much the award would mean to the YA community which is somewhat separate from the Hugo areas of genre. I suppose it might be an olive branch to get the two talking more.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 11, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fart of Presto posted:

Last year I bought the first book in the Diving series, Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, after reading an interesting review, probably on io9 or SF Signal, but never got around to reading it yet.
Supposedly it's some fun action oriented space opera, but that's all I know.
Jesus, she should have picked a different title, because googling for that title sure doesn't bring up her book anywhere near the top of the results.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Turtlicious posted:

Halfway through the 2nd Book of The Iron Druid Chronicles and I find it charming, and extremely entertaining. Oberon, (the talking Irish Wolfhound,) is increasingly entertaining, and Atticus reads like a roleplayer out of Scion more then anything. Which I find both hilarious and Entertaining.
Try the audiobook versions, the voice of the dog is half the fun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

boneration posted:

Because they're not the best examples of UF and they are really derivative of the Dresden Files. But if you ain't read much UF I can see why you might find them a decent read.

If you enjoy them and you intend to read more UF you're in for a treat assuming you go with some of the recommended authors.
On the other hand, every Dresden novel makes a DBZ fight scene look non-formulaic. Is he still making crappy " :hurr: Dresden drives a crummy VW bug" jokes? I only got through the first 4 or 5 novels before I wanted to kill myself.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 11, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

coyo7e posted:

On the other hand, every Dresden novel makes a DBZ fight scene look non-formulaic. Is he still making crappy " :hurf: Dresden drives a crummy VW bug" jokes? I only got through the first 4 or 5 novels before I wanted to kill myself.

liking Dresden Files is a good indicator of someone who's loving retarded

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Jesus, she should have picked a different title, because googling for that title sure doesn't bring up her book anywhere near the top of the results.

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark that this may just have been intentional.

(E for a link to the poem.)

Just wondering what on earth Gerrold actually said in the first place, because I'm sure it wasn;t the only interesting news he's had all year which is he's finally finished that loving book.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 11, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

liking Dresden Files is a good indicator of someone who's loving retarded
I loving loved the TV show, it got me to look up the novels. I was seriously let down. I like the skull guy better as a skinny tall brit who looks half-transparent without makeup.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

House Louse posted:

Just wondering what on earth Gerrold actually said in the first place, because I'm sure it wasn;t the only interesting news he's had all year which is he's finally finished that loving book.
I'm listening to this podcast that was linked in that blog post, it's pretty tough. I rewound before the timestamped portion so I could figure out a little more context and really got some gems out of it, including hosts accusing someone of of racism for calling the Hugos essentially a closed party for white american guys, and then someone brought up how "A white Christian male author" asked why they should even bother writing since nobody wants to read about white men, and because white men aren't allowed to write about any other groups.. (whereas I was always told if you have to ask why write, then you shouldn't) :downsrim:

I am assuming it'll go downhill from there because Gerrold actually started talking finally (he's the fat old man avatar.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=956&v=k2szrGY-nqE

edit: oh god, Gerrold leapt in with this gem, "well there's not much fiction written about places other than North America."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 11, 2015

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

The Dark Forest (Three Body Problem #2) and Fitz and the Fool #2 both out today.

Time to read! :gizz:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chriswizard posted:

It would. Just binged Fool's Quest in a day. It's an book with a lot of payoff. I do agree with you, she did fall off her game with the non-Fitz books. Couldn't read anything after Tawny Man, but I think this trilogy will be very good indeed.

I decided to give it a chance and I've not been disappointed either. Fitz is a very bad dad though

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I hesitate to make this judgment at the halfway mark, but so far, Austin Grossman's Crooked -- about Richard Nixon getting involved with various occult conspiracies during this political career -- is reminding me of Tim Powers's Declare. It's not completely blowing me away like Declare does, which is easily among my top 5 books, but Crooked is really great so far, and closer to Declare then I had hoped going into it.

Just want to say I picked this up on your description and have been really enjoying it. It's a great portrayal of how Nixon would have acted if he was faced with Sorceror Supreme Ike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kalman posted:

Just want to say I picked this up on your description and have been really enjoying it. It's a great portrayal of how Nixon would have acted if he was faced with Sorceror Supreme Ike.

Great -- glad you enjoyed it. I just finished Crooked this morning and it remained great through to the end. The comparisons I inevitably drew to Declare did not disappoint. It didn't had quite the same sense of mystery, but Grossman does a good job of doing those things that make Declare so great -- filling in the gaps of history with occult underpinnings and supernatural explanation. So many nice little asides about historical figures and minor events. And like Declare made me want to move on to a biography of Kim Philby, this book makes me want to move on to a biography of Nixon (and also Ike).