Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't suppose wiping the cache would do anything?

Just for shits and giggles I tried every option... they all did the gigantic wall of red text thing.

RIP Note 2

October 2012 - August 2015

Krime fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Krime posted:

Just for shits and giggles I tried every option... they all did the gigantic wall of red text thing.

RIP Note 2

You can try using Odin to reflash the stock ROM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah that's the one decent thing about Samsung phones, Odin.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Note 5 fully leaked thanks to some guy at a Bell kiosk in Canada that will soon be unemployed

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-5-fully-exposed-632450/

Looks pretty nice but I just have to keep reminding myself what Touchwiz is like.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like someone pissed all over everything and now you have to touch it.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Moto X 2014 or New Moto G? My priorities are in order: battery, call quality, display, snappy performance, camera and extra functions. If it helps I'm migrating from broken ,beaten down Verizon HTC ONE M8.

I do like the wood back in the Moto X but I've heard bad things about how durable it is and I hate using cases so it has to be more durable too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mulligan posted:

Moto X 2014 or New Moto G? My priorities are in order: battery, call quality, display, snappy performance, camera and extra functions. If it helps I'm migrating from broken ,beaten down Verizon HTC ONE M8.

I do like the wood back in the Moto X but I've heard bad things about how durable it is and I hate using cases so it has to be more durable too.

Then Moto G. Display and performance are likely at least marginally better on the X 2014, camera should be a strength of the G but everything I've seen has shown it to be kind of poor (not that the X 2014 is amazing), so I'd call that a wash, and I don't know what extra functions means but I think they're the same.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Battery and camera are much better on the new G. Display better on the old X. Longer software support on the G, plus free Moto Maker. Id do that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Battery and camera are much better on the new G. Display better on the old X. Longer software support on the G, plus free Moto Maker. Id do that.

Reviews seem much more mixed about the camera than I would've thought given the hardware. Android Central was the only one I found that directly compared the two: "The 2015 Moto G has a really good camera for a $200 phone. Is it a great camera? Nah. In fact, we'd go so far as to say it "feels" like a Motorola camera. About on par with the 2014 Moto X. It gets the job done. You will be able to get some pretty great shots with it sometimes. Other times, not so much." The Verge sounded pretty similar, talking about it being good for the budget, good at small sizes in bright light, and otherwise not great. Definitely better than earlier Moto G models, definitely better than a typical budget phone camera, but I don't really buy that it's much better the 2014 X.

E: Though I realize in my first reply I called it "pretty poor," which is not fair. Just meant with respect to flagships, just like how the X 2014 didn't measure up either.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 9, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Today I've noticed that whenever I wake up my 2014 Moto X, it's on cellular data instead of my wifi, but will connect a few seconds after it wakes. I haven't changed any settings in my router, and rebooting the phone doesn't change anything. What could be causing this, and how can I fix it? I already have the setting to enable wifi during sleep set.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

RVProfootballer posted:

Then Moto G. Display and performance are likely at least marginally better on the X 2014, camera should be a strength of the G but everything I've seen has shown it to be kind of poor (not that the X 2014 is amazing), so I'd call that a wash, and I don't know what extra functions means but I think they're the same.

Great, thanks everyone ... I think white with the golden metal accent looks classy enough, either that or black with dark metal.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Today I've noticed that whenever I wake up my 2014 Moto X, it's on cellular data instead of my wifi, but will connect a few seconds after it wakes. I haven't changed any settings in my router, and rebooting the phone doesn't change anything. What could be causing this, and how can I fix it? I already have the setting to enable wifi during sleep set.

I noticed the same thing yesterday. I rebooted and haven't noticed it since. No idea what would be causing it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You guys have the wifi on sleep enabled, correct?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if the new Moto G has the Google Phone thing where it'll search for names and stuff on Google using the phone number as you're dialing it in or is that still Nexus only?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You guys have the wifi on sleep enabled, correct?

I do.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good ir remote app ?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Can anyone recommend a good ir remote app ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefairy4

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

grack posted:

You can try using Odin to reflash the stock ROM.

Thanks for the suggestion, but this failed as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Krime posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but this failed as well.

Then I just don't think there's a spinny chair strong enough for your Note. Only thing left to do is sell it for parts on eBay.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Krime posted:

RIP Note 2

He's dead, Jim.

Edit : From that AndroidAuthority post about the Note 5 ..

quote:

"Unfortunately the reddit post indicates that upon boot-up, the Note 5 only has about half the RAM free, thus suggesting the full 4GB is necessary for TouchWiz and the S-Pen Suite."

:suicide:

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 10, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I came back to NY from a vacation in Canada and now my Nexus 5 has awful battery (about 5hrs for a day!). It also seems to run a little warm on occasion. I didn't install any new programs while I was there. Any ideas?
Battery usage is Exchange, Android System,. Android OS and Screen (and other even smaller stuff)

Also is the stagefright fix a 5.1.2 thing or something else?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-10/htc-trading-near-cash-leaves-a-smartphone-brand-with-no-value

Today, HTC's stock value fell below cash on hand. This means that investors feel HTC's brand, manufacturing, and other assets are worth effectively zero.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Merkinman posted:

So I came back to NY from a vacation in Canada and now my Nexus 5 has awful battery (about 5hrs for a day!). It also seems to run a little warm on occasion. I didn't install any new programs while I was there. Any ideas?
Battery usage is Exchange, Android System,. Android OS and Screen (and other even smaller stuff)

See if it's switching off of wifi when it's asleep. My Moto X has been doing that and exhibiting similar symptoms.

Another fun thing: the Moto Assist has stopped switching back to bluetooth audio after reading a text. My phone and car will act like I haven't connected the phone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-10/htc-trading-near-cash-leaves-a-smartphone-brand-with-no-value

Today, HTC's stock value fell below cash on hand. This means that investors feel HTC's brand, manufacturing, and other assets are worth effectively zero.

Technerds blame it on M9 being a big meh over the M8, but I'd imagine they'd be in trouble even if they decided to fix up the things wrong with the M8

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Battery life on my Nexus 6 is pretty bad, what's the reason? Is it my signal? I'm on stock OS, not rooted or anything.

Screen on time is 29m right now.
Keep awake is the following:

Android system: 12m31s
Android OS: 40m56s
Google services: 14m17s
System UI: 7m12s
Google App: 1m44s
Hangouts: 1m37s

BoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 10, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

With devices having a 12-18 month pipeline, you may as well assume that HTC is already six months into building yet another stinker.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hooah posted:

See if it's switching off of wifi when it's asleep. My Moto X has been doing that and exhibiting similar symptoms.
Doesn't seem like it, but when looking there I see it's maybe a wakelock? Yes signal is awful but it was like this at home where my signal is usually fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Technerds blame it on M9 being a big meh over the M8, but I'd imagine they'd be in trouble even if they decided to fix up the things wrong with the M8

While I'll admit I doubt I could run HTC any better than they are doing it, I think I'd have certainly not built what appears to be the same phone for three years straight. I'm not positive that would've changed anything though as I don't think there's any evidence at all that an OEM can be profitable selling Android phones.

Commodity electronics implies that everyone's offerings are functionally equivalent, built to be a cheap as possible, and unfortunately hostile to the user in what few ways they do differentiate. There's just no money to be had in building them and this is true whether you're talking about televisions or Windows PCs or Android phones. Phones might be lagging the others a bit but the profits that aren't Apple will flatten out just the same. Just as HP makes the most PCs and loses money doing it, even Samsung will eventually get to the point where they don't make any money in actually making and selling phones (a point they passed with televisions about five years ago).

I don't think there was anything an OEM like HTC could have done when they just don't have the offsetting products to make manufacturing phones a feasible venture. At least Samsung makes displays, SoCs, and has chip foundries to run (though admittedly they sell their best poo poo to Apple). LG has a lot of the same but HTC just has no reason to keep skin in this game.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know if a verizon LG G3 will work on tmobile?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

WhyteRyce posted:

Blasphemy! The m8 is great, m9 does seem pretty meh for the price though. Also their factory images have saved my rear end.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

Does anyone know if a verizon LG G3 will work on tmobile?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-lg-g3/general/factory-unlocked-lte-t-mobile-t2828543
Looks like you can but you have to enter APN manually to get LTE

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

thanks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BoyBlunder posted:

Battery life on my Nexus 6 is pretty bad, what's the reason? Is it my signal? I'm on stock OS, not rooted or anything.

Screen on time is 29m right now.
Keep awake is the following:

Android system: 12m31s
Android OS: 40m56s
Google services: 14m17s
System UI: 7m12s
Google App: 1m44s
Hangouts: 1m37s

Um, your battery life looks totally normal to me? I've never had a phone do better than what your screenshots are showing unless I left it totally idle and never so much as checked the time on it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New Hangouts out today :O

http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2015/08/google-hangouts-now-simpler-faster-more.html

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have a stupid problem, I can't seem to find my music :confused: I downloaded some albums through the Play Music app, and when I want to use one of those songs as my alarm signal (using Alarm Clock Plus), I can't find the music. It's not in the downloads folder or anything. Suggestions on how I can find it back?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't think music downloaded from the play store is stored as an actual mp3 anywhere

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

This reflects my opinion of their worth, especially when they do stupid stuff like store your fingerprint scans unencrypted and world readable on the phone. Brilliant move morons!

I hope they introduce an update for iOS that really gives support for the Apple Watch, but I won't complain since we had a nice update a month before Android got it.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 10, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

beedeebee posted:

I have a stupid problem, I can't seem to find my music :confused: I downloaded some albums through the Play Music app, and when I want to use one of those songs as my alarm signal (using Alarm Clock Plus), I can't find the music. It's not in the downloads folder or anything. Suggestions on how I can find it back?

Skarsnik posted:

I don't think music downloaded from the play store is stored as an actual mp3 anywhere

Yeah, pretty sure you need to do some fuckery to get "pinned" music playable in other apps, if you even can. Pinning music is more like Spotify offline playlists or any other streaming service offline thing than downoading mp3s.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/severe-weaknesses-in-android-handsets-could-leak-user-fingerprints/

I'm not sure if this is something that even matters but okay.

Apparently, Android devices with fingerprint scanners can let your fingerprints be taken.

Though, I don't know how well I trust an article that thinks that there were no Android phones before 2013 with a fingerprint scanner. I guess the Atrix doesn't really exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/severe-weaknesses-in-android-handsets-could-leak-user-fingerprints/

I'm not sure if this is something that even matters but okay.

Apparently, Android devices with fingerprint scanners can let your fingerprints be taken.

Though, I don't know how well I trust an article that thinks that there were no Android phones before 2013 with a fingerprint scanner. I guess the Atrix doesn't really exist.

It's been covered on many other sites. In fact HTC stores your fingerprint as a bitmap with 0666 attributes (world readable). Granted I believe Google will have resolved this with OFFICIAL fingerprint security built into Android M .. it's just idiot OEMs that care about features over everything else that screw stuff up.

And yes, it does matter. Biometric security looks to be on the rise and fingerprints are not something you can just "renew" with the doctor. Considering the government keeps fingerprint data on hand for law enforcement I don't want high resolution fully detailed scans of my prints just floating around.