Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Slate Action posted:

41% of the votes in that Iowa poll went to candidates who have never held public office.

This is the biggest tell that I see out of this poll. If there's ever been an "establishment" backlash in America, this is it, and don't think this dosen't carry over to democrats somewhat as well. If the dems had a charismatic businessman who'se never held elected office, he'd be giving HRC a run for her money. In the meanwhile though, Sanders is the default anti-establishment candidate.

If we get a Trump/Clinton general election, I think Clinton will win, but it wont be by the landslide the polls are telling us today, 15 months out. I'd also expect a record number of cross-voters with democrats sick of "politics as usual" who will vote for Trump, and many traditional republicans still crying from the fact that Trump is their nominee, crossing over to vote for Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Lum_ posted:

21 point lead. Holy crap.

We're way out of crazification factor territory now. The whole GOP (well, a third!) has gone batshit.

They're even making GBS threads on Rush Limbaugh because he refuses to throw Erickson under the bus.

This frenzy cannot sustain itself till February, so enjoy the fireworks while they're here.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Ok that makes sense but I think HRCs turnout potential is overwhelming.

Hillary is playing up the "I'm a woman just like you!" Angle with stuff like her Pinterest account. It's a good strategy even though obviously there's very few women who have ever been like Hillary. I think it depends how tone deaf women view Trump to the point they're willing to go vote against him. It's impossible to say this early.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nothing has to be anything

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Montasque posted:

This frenzy cannot sustain itself till February, so enjoy the fireworks while they're here.

I remember when Trump would never make it to the first debate and yet he still did.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

"Fiorina's a massive failure", he smugly typed before turning back to the latte station.

Customer orders were piling up.

id say destroying two fortune 500 companies and then losing an election is in fact a greater failure of a career than being working class yeah

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Spacebump posted:

I remember when Trump would never make it to the first debate and yet he still did.

Trump had like a dozen major corporations cut ties with him over his campaign and he didn't drop out. He's doing this for real.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Brannock posted:

I can't help but think of Nate Silver smugly laying out why Trump has absolutely no chance ever nope no way.

538 has really been doing poorly so far this cycle. they need to start making less absolute declarations until a lot closer to elections imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

echronorian posted:

Hillary is playing up the "I'm a woman just like you!" Angle with stuff like her Pinterest account. It's a good strategy even though obviously there's very few women who have ever been like Hillary. I think it depends how tone deaf women view Trump to the point they're willing to go vote against him. It's impossible to say this early.

First woman president vs. Old tv personality who is kind of funny.

I guess you are right that could go either way.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Spacebump posted:

You maybe right, honestly I thought he was going to dump out when he had to file his financials. I just feel that he's not serious and when time comes for him to put skin in the game he's going to go down in flames.

Basically Donald Trump is a less serious Rob Ford. For all of Ford's goofiness the man put A LOT of skin in the game.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

538 has really been doing poorly so far this cycle. they need to start making less absolute declarations until a lot closer to elections imo

To be fair 538 is really great at measuring actual voting, of which we are a long way away from. His doomcasting of Trump's chances is actually pretty accurate - until/unless Trump actually starts pulling in absolute majorities, he is still what he appears to be at first glance - an anti-mainstream Joker card with a hard ceiling. The question is just where that ceiling is, and if it breaks 50%, THEN poo poo gets real (and two things happen there - the first is that a lack of ground organization will block him from actually picking up delegates - which happened to Santorum in 2008, remember - and if he survives THAT you get to see Silver's final prediction, which is that the GOP will flat out not allow Trump to win no matter what - at which point you see a Trump Party run and Hillary/Sanders/Biden coasting into the White House).

Regardless the Trumpshow is killing any chance of a Republican candidate winning in 2016, which I'm OK with.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 10, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Lum_ posted:

The whole GOP (well, a third!)

Okay

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
e: wrong thread!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mega64 posted:

Trump has a ceiling he will inevitably reach.

That ceiling is 100%.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Once a month I have dinner with my entire extended family and the polls are in: Trump may be 'rough around the edges' but he doesn't bullshit and that's what America needs right now. :shepface:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

id say destroying two fortune 500 companies and then losing an election is in fact a greater failure of a career than being working class yeah

Yeah remember the company named HP.

*pours out magenta toner cart on curb*

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Lum_ posted:

21 point lead. Holy crap.

We're way out of crazification factor territory now. The whole GOP (well, a third!) has gone batshit.

Well more than a third is regularly batshit anyways. Don't forget to add in the numbers for Carson, Cruz, Jindal.... ah, gently caress it, all of them.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Nate Silver has also been really down on Sanders, saying he won't win because he can't appeal to minorities, he won't win even if gets both Iowa and NH, Bernie will only appeal to a stereotyped college left. He just doesn't get this election.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

reince preibus after reading this poll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

RE: what happens if Sanders does well, if the UK is a guide he'll come under great hostility from liberal media outlets as soon as he threatens to win rather than be an entertaining novelty. However I don't know if your liberals have the same messianic delusions as Blairites, so the UK may well not be a guide.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This poll is wildly divergent from the other post-debate polls.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brannock posted:

I can't help but think of Nate Silver smugly laying out why Trump has absolutely no chance ever nope no way.

That guy is a dumbo. Not Trump.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
2016: the campaign to drive the RNC chair to suicide

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trump is a monster. A glorious, horrifying monster.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Vox Nihili posted:

Wat. The only other post-debate poll was the NBC survey-monkey one, which also had Trump gaining (slightly), although it also had much larger bumps for Fiorina, Cruz, and Carson.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Necc0 posted:

Once a month I have dinner with my entire extended family and the polls are in: Trump may be 'rough around the edges' but he doesn't bullshit and that's what America needs right now. :shepface:

Get used to it, you LOSER!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"Fiorina's a massive failure", he smugly typed before turning back to the latte station.

Customer orders were piling up.

Just like a republican to measure success not by what was actually accomplished but by how much money you managed to pile up while making GBS threads the bed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah remember the company named HP.

*pours out magenta toner cart on curb*

ok just destroying one and halving the value of another and laying off tens of thousands of people

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

The PPP poll was Iowa while the others were national I believe.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Rocks posted:

Which poli sci people are you referring to? Thanks

Brandon Nyhan, namely. I thought I saw a Lynn Vaverick reference yesterday but I can't find it now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

archaeo posted:

Wat. The only other post-debate poll was the NBC survey-monkey one, which also had Trump gaining (slightly), although it also had much larger bumps for Fiorina, Cruz, and Carson.

Sorry, "poll." But there is a huge gap in where the two polls place Trump.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Three Olives posted:

Isn't it telling that she holds no board positions on any major corporations? That is a well compensated give me job for a retired CEO of a Fortune 50 company that has even an ounce of respect.

She did at a couple minor companies after HP but left because of her senate run. At least she says that.

I said it before and I will again. Fiorina is a sane sounding Trump. I am thinking that if/when Trump flames out and if he doesn't run 3rd party, his support will go to Carson and Fiorina. Maybe some to Cruz. big maybe. That 20% loathes the current politicians so I can not see them supporting a politician until after one is nominated.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Reince Preibus memorial wing of trump tower south (formerly, the White House)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Montasque posted:

You maybe right, honestly I thought he was going to dump out when he had to file his financials. I just feel that he's not serious and when time comes for him to put skin in the game he's going to go down in flames.

Basically Donald Trump is a less serious Rob Ford. For all of Ford's goofiness the man put A LOT of skin in the game.

He has lost millions of dollars worth of deals since he started the crazy train rolling. He's in for real.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Montasque posted:

Trump has already put in a lot of "skin" on this election if you take in account the lost value from the terminated contracts and such he got hit with a few months ago.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MrBims posted:

Nate Silver has also been really down on Sanders, saying he won't win because he can't appeal to minorities, he won't win even if gets both Iowa and NH, Bernie will only appeal to a stereotyped college left. He just doesn't get this election.

Nate Silver is right about both Trump and Sanders, hth.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

archaeo posted:

Another area they diverge on is Cruz. One has Cruz way up, one has him flat/down. I'm thinking one of the polls might be trash.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I genuinely believe if the US was treated to Sanders/Trump in the general, the world would be better for it. It'd make for one hell of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is bordering on delusion. Trump will be in the general and win, if the Democratic nominee is not Sanders.

• Locked thread