Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the glass delivery system for the second myth tonight is a prime example of them doing stuff out of order. There's no way they went all the way out there and got everything ready for a shoot without working out a delivery system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eh, the free fall pane smashing against the ground was a pretty high speed shot, and the guided pane hitting the dummy was :stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah that high speed was brutal as gently caress.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wouldn't your skeletal structure keep you in one piece?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was an odd way to end the episode. That shot of the rig failing looked dangerous as hell.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Here's an interesting- but too brief- interview with the Director of Photography on Mythbusters:

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/07/interview-scott-sorensen-director-photography-mythbusters

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Heh,

quote:

Water will not compress. GoPros will.

The lawnmower from hell looked like something out of Mad Max: Suburban Road.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

So the glass delivery system for the second myth tonight is a prime example of them doing stuff out of order. There's no way they went all the way out there and got everything ready for a shoot without working out a delivery system.

The best was the time they were in the Caribbean doing some poo poo with sharks or something and then went "OK, let's go back to San Francisco to design a rig."

howe_sam posted:

Wouldn't your skeletal structure keep you in one piece?

That was annoying. It's not like they haven't done skeletons in the gel dummies before.

Or a pig. Would a pig be too gory?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Adam talks a bit about the U-2 "myth" in the tested podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltBl0ZdDluI

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

PostNouveau posted:

The best was the time they were in the Caribbean doing some poo poo with sharks or something and then went "OK, let's go back to San Francisco to design a rig."

That was annoying. It's not like they haven't done skeletons in the gel dummies before.

Or a pig. Would a pig be too gory?

Not too gory for basic cable, but probably for the target demo they want. Deadliest Warrior had no issues with such things.

Also, it is funny that one episode after they mention using blue water for blood for gore reasons, they put red blood in the very next dummy in the next episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"Mouse" Colburn, unlikely voice of reason. The whole :catstare: sequence with Wizard and Cornelia Marie made me think I was watching Whale Wars.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Keith is a moron but I think that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen him do.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It was kind of sad watching it knowing that the Seahawks lost, too. All that work for naught.

I still think him going for a dive under the boat all those years ago was stupider, though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long has Adam been calling Jamie "Sir"? (I would have asked earlier, but kept forgetting)

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Am I the only one willing to admit to watching Naked and Afraid? 40 day challenges seem pretty legit. They were usually limping to the 21 day finish line in past seasons.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

wukkar posted:

Am I the only one willing to admit to watching Naked and Afraid? 40 day challenges seem pretty legit. They were usually limping to the 21 day finish line in past seasons.

I'm watching it. I find it interesting that 8 out of the 10 have consolidated. I wonder if the other 2 women are going to meander over to piranha lake and just make one mega group.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

wukkar posted:

I laughed at that one commercial with the dude flipping out at the electric eel.

"1500 VOLTS THROUGH MY BODY" *screams at eel*

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gazaar posted:

I laughed at that one commercial with the dude flipping out at the electric eel.

"1500 VOLTS THROUGH MY BODY" *screams at eel*

That was funny as poo poo. The whole electric eel scene was comedy gold

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wukkar posted:

I don't see the point of those "naked" shows when they don't actually show the person naked.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Personally I'm just waiting for the day they make I'm a Naked Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The buildup to the crabbers' letdown at the end of the Super Bowl because of Pete Carroll's amazing stupidity, especially in light of the equally creative and stupid ferry system to the mid-sea Super Bowl party, was entertaining as hell.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think my favorite part was Keith telling everyone to wear survival suits and then in the skiff he had his survival suit over his shoulders like a coat.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Looks like Tony Lara died, the CM captain's seat is cursed.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Photex posted:

Looks like Tony Lara died, the CM captain's seat is cursed.

Was he the one that insisted on fishing blue crab even though he couldn't find any?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I forgot there was a guy who had it after Phil and before Casey.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I couldn't loving believe that poo poo. Keith is my least favorite Captain, but man I feel bad for him with his poo poo Greenhorns. Its my belief that a crabber like Jake Anderson is 1 in a million and Sig was smart to make him a full share as quickly as he did.

I love Jake so much, I just wish the dude had more confidence in himself. It's like everything he does is filled with perpetual self doubt (much like Josh). My least favorite season was the season where Jake was on the Kiska Sea because 1. he wasn't on the show very much and 2. everyone the Kiska Sea treated him like poo poo. I'm really glad Elliot is such a gently caress up and is giving Jake a chance to shine, I just hope he makes the most out of it.

I think the kiska sea poo poo on him because from my limited google most crabbers not on the show hate the deadliest catch. I have read that there is even one captain who under bids everyone to get a quota that he can only afford because discover channel picks up the tab.

Also why do the deckhands talk poo poo when they are working if they can be heard by the captain? I never understood that. Like last nights episode and everyone saying the druggie elliot would be better then Jake.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

I think the kiska sea poo poo on him because from my limited google most crabbers not on the show hate the deadliest catch. I have read that there is even one captain who under bids everyone to get a quota that he can only afford because discover channel picks up the tab.

Also why do the deckhands talk poo poo when they are working if they can be heard by the captain? I never understood that. Like last nights episode and everyone saying the druggie elliot would be better then Jake.

I have never seen a behind the scenes explanation for how the captains can hear everything being said on deck. They make it seem like it is coming over an intercom, and I know that most of, if not all of the decks, do have one, but that is usually in one spot on the deck, and the person has to stand near it to use it. Not sure how people talking poo poo by the launcher are being heard over it. The microphone would have to be permanently transmitting, and also sensitive as hell, and I feel like they would mostly only be hearing wind, water, and mechanical noises at that point, based on my own experiences with various mics and recording in various conditions.

It would make more sense if the crew were wearing mics for production, which is something, again, I don't remember them mentioning BTS. Because then the captain could have an audio monitor just like the producers would (but it wouldn't sound like it does on the show, it would sound crystal clear, unless for some reason they were running the production audio through the radio speakers in the cabin.)

But it seems weird that they never bring that up in their BTS stuff, unless I have missed it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

I have never seen a behind the scenes explanation for how the captains can hear everything being said on deck. They make it seem like it is coming over an intercom, and I know that most of, if not all of the decks, do have one, but that is usually in one spot on the deck, and the person has to stand near it to use it. Not sure how people talking poo poo by the launcher are being heard over it. The microphone would have to be permanently transmitting, and also sensitive as hell, and I feel like they would mostly only be hearing wind, water, and mechanical noises at that point, based on my own experiences with various mics and recording in various conditions.

It would make more sense if the crew were wearing mics for production, which is something, again, I don't remember them mentioning BTS. Because then the captain could have an audio monitor just like the producers would (but it wouldn't sound like it does on the show, it would sound crystal clear, unless for some reason they were running the production audio through the radio speakers in the cabin.)

But it seems weird that they never bring that up in their BTS stuff, unless I have missed it.

It has to be a discovery channel thing because it easily sparks drama as we can see.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jake needs to work on his angry motivational speeches.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jake needs to work on his angry motivational speeches.

His rant in the captain's chair was better than the speech he gave to the crew.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird they went through the whole bit without actually saying it was from Breaking Bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kind of weird they went through the whole bit without actually saying it was from Breaking Bad.

"We have to pay AMC what?!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shooting through walls happens In tons of movies and TV shows.

Now I want a paintball place to set up a course like that, they'd make a killing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

haveblue posted:

Now I want a paintball place to set up a course like that, they'd make a killing.

I can just imagine the people bursting through the walls like the Kool-Aid Man.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It's pretty hilarious that Josh can't even pretend to give a poo poo, must really suck for Casey though working with someone who only wants to be on TV and whose disregard almost maimed him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

haveblue posted:

Shooting through walls happens In tons of movies and TV shows.

Yeah but that was clearly a Breaking Bad inspired thing seeing as they had the actor from the scene.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

It's pretty hilarious that Josh can't even pretend to give a poo poo, must really suck for Casey though working with someone who only wants to be on TV and whose disregard almost maimed him.

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

That must explain why Jake is able to do a poo poo load more with a boat when it seems like they are on the same level captain experience wise.

Jake's been trying his best for years and Josh is just jerking off in the wheelhouse while Casey does all the work.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
The fact that everyone was rooting for Josh and trying to help him get that boat back just to watch him not give a poo poo is really depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Smelly posted:

The fact that everyone was rooting for Josh and trying to help him get that boat back just to watch him not give a poo poo is really depressing.

Only because his father died and his brother is a worthless heroin addict. America loves a sob story.

• Locked thread