Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

KoRMaK posted:

Ok, i see the problem

you have bad taste and or opinions and need to recalibrate

Most people that weren't completely incapable of following the story on any level thought S2 of TD wrapped up passably. But I'll stop this derail now because I'd rather not argue with a stranger on the internet about "taste" and "opinions".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then he immediately goes back to basically yell at the front door of her friends house to try and get her back. I guess it just didn't land for me. Still a really good episode though.

One day, what happened to Rick will happen to you and you will understand. Promise.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Rick is basically a god, right? He can travel through space and time, freeze time, and I'm sure other things no human on earth can do. With such power he doesn't overly abuse it, no one knows who he is and he doesn't really upset the system on earth. Besides the croneberg episode and the hobo that blacked out the sun he doesn't really cause that much chaos. Rick really is a good guy.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2015

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

r0ck0 posted:

Rick is basically a god, right? He can travel through space and time, freeze time, and I'm sure other things no human on earth can do. With such power he doesn't overly abuse it, no one knows who he is and he doesn't really upset the system on earth. Besides the croneberg episode and the hobo that blacked out the sun he doesn't really cause that much chaos. Rick really is a good guy.

20% correct as usual, r0ck00000

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Most people that weren't completely incapable of following the story on any level thought S2 of TD wrapped up passably. But I'll stop this derail now because I'd rather not argue with a stranger on the internet about "taste" and "opinions".

passably != pretty good

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

kalensc posted:

20% correct as usual, r0ck00000

Heh, your response was in the form of a quote from the show.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo what a powerful episode. And yeah 100% agree with Tormented.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tormented posted:

One day, what happened to Rick will happen to you and you will understand. Promise.

You don't loving know me man, gently caress you. :ricksuicideattempt:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So there is a French beer called Kronenborg that I've been getting YouTube ads for.

I can't help but think that this is the universe having a laugh at Rick and Morty

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

r0ck0 posted:

Rick has just enough awareness/self-discipline not to poo poo where he lives too often.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wish I could watch the close sequence online somewhere, I feel like I need to re-watch it about 10 or so times for maximum catharsis

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

a shameful boehner posted:

I wish I could watch the close sequence online somewhere, I feel like I need to re-watch it about 10 or so times for maximum catharsis

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/
The whole episode's up. I think this might only be available in the US though so if you're outside the US you're gonna have to find an ambiguously-legal streaming site.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
At the end when Beth confronts Rick, she says:

"And I know I sound like mom, but I can't sacrifice this whole family's safety just because I'm afraid you'll leave again."

So that implies that Beth knew her mother and Rick at the same time, was a party to or at least heard an argument between her mother and Rick, and that Rick has already "left" once. At least in this timeline.

Will be interesting to see if they ever discuss Beth's origins.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pakled posted:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/
The whole episode's up. I think this might only be available in the US though so if you're outside the US you're gonna have to find an ambiguously-legal streaming site.

Works in the UK (I have no idea if it's supposed to)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

At the end when Beth confronts Rick, she says:

"And I know I sound like mom, but I can't sacrifice this whole family's safety just because I'm afraid you'll leave again."

So that implies that Beth knew her mother and Rick at the same time, was a party to or at least heard an argument between her mother and Rick, and that Rick has already "left" once. At least in this timeline.

Will be interesting to see if they ever discuss Beth's origins.

that is not exactly news though, the fact that Rick only recently got back into his daughters life has come up a lot before.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Works in the UK (I have no idea if it's supposed to)

Works in Finland too, which is surprising, to say the least.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

e X posted:

that is not exactly news though, the fact that Rick only recently got back into his daughters life has come up a lot before.

And Jerry brings up the abandonment issues multiple times in different episodes, too.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

e X posted:

Ya but it definitely feel like a more direct acknowledgement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tormented posted:

Nah, already happened and I changed the way I treated the people I cared about. Weird right? But you're right, everyone handles things differently and I just don't look at the suicide attempt as something that was earned. Just seemed like an easy way for them to play a sad song over the cartoon like they did last season. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Still, this show is probably the best comedy on TV right now and I look forward to it every week.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CelticPredator posted:

He wanted to make sure the device would 100% kill him.

He wanted to make sure it would end his miserable life so he had to test it using another creature's equally miserable life.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Fowl posted:

He wanted to make sure it would end his miserable life so he had to test it using another creature's equally miserable life.

We were clearly watching an Uncertain Rick in that scene. 99% of the other Ricks knew the machine would work. Gonna be lonely in the Council Station tomorrow.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I wonder if he drank the orange defrosting potion knowing it might knock him out before he could get zapped, making this more of a "Russian Roulette" flirt with suicide than a botched straightforward attempt.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, already happened and I changed the way I treated the people I cared about. Weird right? But you're right, everyone handles things differently and I just don't look at the suicide attempt as something that was earned. Just seemed like an easy way for them to play a sad song over the cartoon like they did last season. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Still, this show is probably the best comedy on TV right now and I look forward to it every week.

I'm glad you said it, because I completely agreed. I was looking forward to this week's episode because it seemed like everyone who watched the leak was saying "omg that ending." And it just didn't really deliver. There wasn't enough pathos to justify that sort of reaction, and it came off as being dark for the sake of being dark.

I mean, I love this show and the episode was good, but let's not just line up and suck its dick unconditionally.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
Hey, I'm just glad everyone's timelines are all synched up now. No more withholding high-fives and poo poo for fear of shattering into millions of tiny pieces, right?

Right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
After thinking about it and re-watching the scene, I got the distinct feeling that this is far from the first time that this sort of thing has happened to Rick.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Applewhite posted:

I wonder if he drank the orange defrosting potion knowing it might knock him out before he could get zapped, making this more of a "Russian Roulette" flirt with suicide than a botched straightforward attempt.

It's a very rare thing for someone to get suicide right on the first try, usually because of something like this. For pretty obvious reasons the brain is not 100% on board with checking out early so people do poo poo like that subconsciously. All of that is to say technically yes, he probably took the stuff thinking he would pass out and the laser thing would miss but that doesn't make it not a suicide attempt.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:stare:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

JT Jag posted:

After thinking about it and re-watching the scene, I got the distinct feeling that this is far from the first time that this sort of thing has happened to Rick.

Yeah this seems like a very worn path for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXOILDdrWzc

Unthumbnailed in case people are trying to avoid all spoilers

Thanks! It reminds me a lot of that episode of Other Space (if anyone's seen that) where a shape-shifting saboteur shows up and no one can remember who's the new one.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haha I saw it earlier in the episode when Jerry is snooping around but that's a good catch.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's a very rare thing for someone to get suicide right on the first try, usually because of something like this. For pretty obvious reasons the brain is not 100% on board with checking out early so people do poo poo like that subconsciously. All of that is to say technically yes, he probably took the stuff thinking he would pass out and the laser thing would miss but that doesn't make it not a suicide attempt.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Rick planned it out so much.

He wanted to drink more because he was suicidally depressed. He was out of booze, so he drank whatever was in that chemical mixture. It happened to knock him out, because Rick is normally some level of drunk 24/7 and he just came back after a huge space drug bender.

That he got so close to killing himself and failed was not orchestrated by Rick, it's just a representation of his mental state.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

e: I'm insane, I misread your post. What I say below barely contradicts what you said!

Rick was looking to off himself. He's only alive because he passed out at the last second- whether that's because he subconsciously didn't want to die or it was just random dumb luck is open to interpretation, as ambiguity was built into the scene.

He tested a death machine and positioned himself for the next round though, there's no question about it.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good catch, I wonder how long Rick had been saving that little guy?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also this, complete with stain:

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

Also this, complete with stain:

That poor creature.

Is it me or did the world give off a Seuss vibe? And that one alien in particular next to Morty in the beginning while he was chowing down on burgers, reminded me of Yvette in the Oblongs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

So he just really sucks at committing suicide.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

FELD1 posted:

I'm glad you said it, because I completely agreed. I was looking forward to this week's episode because it seemed like everyone who watched the leak was saying "omg that ending." And it just didn't really deliver. There wasn't enough pathos to justify that sort of reaction, and it came off as being dark for the sake of being dark.

I mean, I love this show and the episode was good, but let's not just line up and suck its dick unconditionally.

I think you're probably focusing too much on Unity as the source of the suicide attempt. Yeah, obviously the break up was the trigger for it here, but it's fairly evident to me that he's just depressed and suicidal in general and this simply sent him over the edge. They've dropped plenty of hints throughout the series that he's depressed and in pain. For one thing he's a raging alcoholic. And also didn't that birdperson guy basically outright say that last season? The biggest clue in this episode is the fact that he basically had the whole thing planned out before anything happened with Unity. He had to set up the apparatus a bit, but it was more or less set and ready to go with the two crystals and a test creature. It would seem to me that he's been plotting out this particular suicide for a while.

As someone else mentioned, he seems to use these crazy adventures and also drugs and alcohol to take his mind off his problems. This ending wasn't just him pining over lost love, but also that the big party and distraction abruptly went away and he came crashing back down to sobering reality. That plus a depressing letter plus already being suicidal seems like enough for me. Suicide attempts often don't come on the heels of life changing, Greek tragedy level events. Often it's just general depression and minor things making you feel the emptiness of life. I think plenty of clues have been there for a while. This was just the first time we saw it come to fruition.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

So he just really sucks at committing suicide.

Oh and I suppose you could do better? :colbert:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I figure at least six alternate Ricks succeeded in that suicide attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sorry if anyone mentioned this I backed outta the thread so I wouldn't have to keep finding pirated episodes just to keep up with the discussion. What is with the adultswim.com episode descriptions? "Morty don tries to save a life in this one broh! Get strapped in broh!"

Who made these, is this like a certain character's voice? Do they all do this? I can't find any other show except a list of every show since forever to compare against. Why didn't adult swim make me sign in to my cable account to prove I can watch this episode?

Also did I just see a straight up suicide attempt? I liked the hivemind version of Community.

• Locked thread