Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

Need to buy a new pair of boots for the field/rucking. Are the Rocky SV2's really worth $220? Otherwise looking at a pair of Garmont T8's or Danner Tachyion's which are considerably cheaper.

Those expensive fuckin' Rocky's are totally legit. Super comfortable, ruck really well, but unfortunately mine didn't last out the year I did in Korea. I don't know if durability was an issue for anyone else, but I really covered some miles in my boots.

I went to the Oakley's after that. You get them cheap(er) on usstandardissue.com (I think about $120 at the time), and while they don't really excel at any one thing, they are a pretty good all rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kiryen posted:

Sort of. I have a Captain working for me that does not seem to understand that since he was TWICE let off the hook with a slap on the wrist for blatantly disrespectful behavior, it might be a good idea for him to not advocate for me and the battalion commander to hammer people who are someone other than him for more trivial matters. I have explained this gently a few times and I am running out of things to say other than "you're a loving hypocritical shitlord."

This Captain is also much older than the typical active duty company commander and has no excuse at all.

just give him an article 15 and extra duty rah?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

dont take our word <:mad:>

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dont take our word <:mad:>

yeah but oah just looks kinda stupid

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

yeah but oah just looks kinda stupid

yut is branch agnostic and a terrific word in its own right

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Cole posted:

Not up to me sadly.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yut is branch agnostic and a terrific word in its own right
i'll just say air assault

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

How did he pull that off?

I don't remember the exact order of events, but this is pretty close: Rockstar decided destroying an on-post hotel room was a good idea (and then walking away from it without paying), decided getting rocked out of his mind on his prescription narcotics as we were leaving the MP station was An Even Better Idea (especially right before going to see the BC about your article 15). He also opened up his room mate's wall locker and pissed in it, got caught stealing an ipod by our 1SG, and for the coup de grace told our battalion CSM something along the lines of "gently caress your extra duty, I'm leaving". This was after coming back from the substance abuse program where you go to stay for like 4-5 weeks, due to previous alcohol incidents that I don't remember anymore. The post CSM was mad about the hotel room, the battalion CSM was incensed that someone told him to get hosed and waltzed out, and the BC was willing to go straight to his boss with 2 CSMs in pocket saying "this shitbird has to go." Started on a monday or a tuesday, and dude was out of the army by friday.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don't remember the exact order of events, but this is pretty close: Rockstar decided destroying an on-post hotel room was a good idea (and then walking away from it without paying), decided getting rocked out of his mind on his prescription narcotics as we were leaving the MP station was An Even Better Idea (especially right before going to see the BC about your article 15). He also opened up his room mate's wall locker and pissed in it, got caught stealing an ipod by our 1SG, and for the coup de grace told our battalion CSM something along the lines of "gently caress your extra duty, I'm leaving". This was after coming back from the substance abuse program where you go to stay for like 4-5 weeks, due to previous alcohol incidents that I don't remember anymore. The post CSM was mad about the hotel room, the battalion CSM was incensed that someone told him to get hosed and waltzed out, and the BC was willing to go straight to his boss with 2 CSMs in pocket saying "this shitbird has to go." Started on a monday or a tuesday, and dude was out of the army by friday.

this dude won at army

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

this dude won at army

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

this dude won at army

monster killll!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ4ebbH3nZs

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah yeah, but what about ARE TROOPS

That kid is a veteran and a hero, etc etc

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Carteret posted:

Yeah yeah, but what about ARE TROOPS

That kid is a veteran and a hero, etc etc

If they got him out in <6 months he definitely got an honorable

I hope so hard he's taking 100% GI Bill benefits with a high BAH zip code for a bachelors in underwater basket weaving

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

This guy probably smokes the fattest blunts, that's what's up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zeris posted:

If they got him out in <6 months he definitely got an honorable

I hope so hard he's taking 100% GI Bill benefits with a high BAH zip code for a bachelors in underwater basket weaving

If so, mother fucker was a modern day Thoreau.

quote:

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this. Get hosed, sergeant major.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Get hosed, sergeant major

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I would reclaim my commission if the army made that its new recruiting slogan

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
get hosed too, sir

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

I would reclaim my commission if the army made that its new recruiting slogan

I imagine the ceremony to 'reclaim your commission' is something like the sword in the stone.

Except instead of a sword, it's Maj rank superglued to a sidewalk.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Reporting from the field as the company xo:
I must amend my previous reports
JRTC is kindergarten and NTC is grad school.
JRTC has nap time. No seriously. They call it a tactical freeze but we all know what it is.

Also, gently caress a co 334, iowa guard can s my d from the back., b,d,e co are okay though.

Also no one gave us a single fuel estimate which led to hilariousness when we went to drop off 6000 and they only took 34. If you are on battalion staff of brigade staff and you don't provide fuel estimates gently caress you as well. Iowa guard shot from the hip the entire rotation. Also 3/4 of them are here so pretty much the whole state.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

White Chocolate posted:

JRTC has nap time. No seriously. They call it a tactical freeze but we all know what it is.

What the gently caress is this we didn't have this poo poo when I went in 2010 I went three goddamn days without sleep.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im very happy i never went to jrtc

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Cole posted:

What the gently caress is this we didn't have this poo poo when I went in 2010 I went three goddamn days without sleep.

Probably something similar to what happened on Benning with ABOLC.

I drat near died because some fuckhead thought doing 60 in an LMTV on wet clay roads was awesome fun (probably was), but then he fell asleep.

All of us drivers were out there for 72 hour stretches, but none of us were driving that LMTV, but now drivers are only out for 12 hours at a stretch.

I imagine someone died at JRTC because they fell asleep driving.

Also:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I was there as an observer/coach/trainer... before I was deployed. I was pretty honest in how much sit I didn't know then.

not caring here posted:

Last training fatality where I was at I think took place 2000 or so. Someone flipped a tank at Yakima Training Center.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 10, 2015

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Were they trying to drive sideways across one of the mountain ridges?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

not caring here posted:

Probably something similar to what happened on Benning with ABOLC.

I drat near died because some fuckhead thought doing 60 in an LMTV on wet clay roads was awesome fun (probably was), but then he fell asleep.

All of us drivers were out there for 72 hour stretches, but none of us were driving that LMTV, but now drivers are only out for 12 hours at a stretch.

Also:

JRTC sucked for me. I had been in my unit for three weeks before we went.

I fell asleep at the fuel point one time. The NCO that found me, SGT Owens, flipped his poo poo and when we got to the training area he smoked everyone who was in the truck, plus an additional 20 minutes alone with me. Shortly after someone hurt themselves. Twisted ankle or something. They had to be driven to an aid station. We never unloaded our bags and the truck they drove off in had mine. During the time I was getting smoked, my gloves fell out of my pocket and I couldn't find them. So when we needed gloves, I didn't have any, so I got smoked again.

A week or so later SGT Owens fell asleep while the vehicle was in motion and ran off the road. At least I did it while we were being still.

The very first night we were there we were on our way to some outpost mockup bullshit. All I remember is it had a lot of small barn looking buildings in it. On our way back from one of the mock patrols, right before sunset, our driver got us stuck in the mud right outside the ECP, so we have to leave the truck there. Earlier in the day I saw a gunner take his FLC off when gunning since it was more comfortable and he probably won't need his magazines anyway. I thought it was a good idea, so I took my FLC off on this patrol since I was the gunner. I unload the 240, I grab my rifle, and my FLC is in the floorboard. My squad leader is hurrying me up and I get out of the truck.

About 20 minutes later we have to go on another patrol. The PSG tells us to mount nods. I tell him that my nods are in my flc. He asks where my flc is, I tell him in the truck that has broken down outside the ECP. he closes his notebook, tells me that i can't go on a patrol without nods, and to figure it out and walks off. i tell one of the squad leaders about it, and he tells me that they have to leave now, and to stay at the base. i go to the TOC because i don't know where else to go, explain why i couldn't go. The NCO that I spoke to had never really spoke to me before, but he put the fear of God in me and let me know I would be paying for it later, and tells me to go find somewhere to sit down until he isn't busy.

I go to one of the barn things and just sit there. In the meantime, a personnel report got called up and I was missing. Nobody knew where the gently caress I was, so they began a small manhunt for me. I got found by my platoon sergeant. He told me to plead my case and I did, and he told me he understood. The NCO in the TOC smoked the poo poo out of me later anyway.

Another time I left the 240 with someone and they left it somewhere, but since it was my 240 I got smoked for about three hours. At the time I had a staph infection on my upper thigh that hadn't been treated, and I was low crawling on rocks. By the time it was done I had a blood patch on my ACU's the size of an encyclopedia. I got 6 hours off for that.

Another time we were QRF and got spun up. We got told to mount our nots. My nods were in my cargo pocket since we were told to keep them in there, and they were tied to my belt loop. I couldn't get the loop undone from my belt loop and the guy next to me pulled his knife out and cut it. Before I mount my nods I'm trying to tie them down to my helmet strap. I get reemed the gently caress out for it taking so long and I get smoked for an hour or so.

Another night we went out to some tent in the middle of nowhere and were unloading the truck. I wore my helmet while we were doing it, because my patrol cap was in the truck cab and I didn't want to be seen slacking off in the truck cab, so I was going to get it later. When I went to get it, it was missing. I went to a few people and asked if they took my patrol cap. I asked one of the team leaders and he smoked the poo poo out of me because I lost my patrol cap. I didn't know where it was, and even I was starting to doubt if it was in the truck cab at this point. I had to wear my helmet the rest of the night, even while I slept. I went outside and was looking for it and couldn't find it. I spent most of that night looking for it. When I went back into the tent everyone was asleep. I woke up and someone came up to me and said "hey man I found your PC in the truck last night but couldn't find you to give to you."

What the gently caress.

JRTC loving sucked rear end.

I eventually got sick and was throwing up on patrol, literally slipping out of consciousness at some points. But I was so afraid of getting smoked that I just drove the gently caress on and probably did some irreparable poo poo to myself.. We were in miles gear and if you died you got to go to the real tent so they could see what it's like when a man dies or some poo poo. Like a free day off. And anytime a firefight or indirect would break out I was standing outside like this:

And I never died, not once.

Cole fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Are you butters IRL

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I don't know if it's just the perspective or not, but I can't stop reading Cole's post and wondering how the gently caress an actual adult person thinks that kind of poo poo is remotely appropriate or even just not loving psychotic behavior. Yeah yeah, Privates do dumb poo poo etc, but holy gently caress how do you get to the point where that poo poo is not only culturally appropriate but even expected?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
HOOAH

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It brings me raw joy that I am no longer in the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

It brings me raw joy that I am no longer in the Army.

At least now we get a reacharound when we get hosed in the rear end.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You know, I thought I did some dumb poo poo. I thought my joes did some dumb poo poo.
I was wrong. Cole, that post takes the cake. That was some dumb loving ahit there. It's not all your fault- your NCOs failed you too.
loving Christ.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
JRTC was 6 months of weirdness for me - this was back in 93 IIRC. I was stationed at Bragg and we jumped in to do a "real world" mission of turning a bombing range into Tiger DZ. The week before I went up to research triangle and dumped this UNC chick I was seeing - she was sick when I went there and I didn't think anything about it at the time. Turns out, I caught what she had and the following week I got worse - I was well into fever, sweats, hallucinations and was too loving hooahh stupid to go on sick call and miss movement so I had a bad exit, hosed up my descent, and hit the FLS and hosed up my back. People saw me hit bad and got me out of my harness and gave me my weapon, so after I rolled around in pain for a while I got shocky and got up, put on my ruck, grabbed the 60, and started tottering off the dz. I passed by the dzso on the way out, realized how hosed up I was, dropped my ruck on the humvee, said I needed a medic, and passed out on my feet.

I woke up in the Ft Polk hospital, strapped to a backboard. I was being triaged, went back for xrays and neuro tests, came back out, did some more stuff, would pass out from pain and wake back up. I'm begging for pain meds and they can't give me any until they figure out how bad I'm hosed up. It was mostly a blur and I couldn't see poo poo being restrained, but eventually I was back in the ER and I heard "mommy, mommy, what's wrong with that man" and next thing I know there's three people standing over me - two women and one of their daughters. The mother asked me what happened and I told her about how I'd hurt my back. Around this time the Dr shows up and tells me I have hosed up my L4 & L5, traumatic spondylolysis and to put the icing on the cake, I've caught mononucleosis, so as soon as they have a bed ready, I was getting hospital time.

The Dr takes off and the women asked where I was from, I said Bragg. They asked if my parents were coming, I said probably not. Next thing I hear is "Well I'm [name] and this is my daughter [name] and this is [other woman] and we work at the Pegasus strip club and we'll take care of you while you are here". As usual, the Army fucks up anything good, the nurse chose that moment to show up with a syringe of happy juice and I'm unconscious again.

The next time I wake up, it's 2 weeks later. I'm in a hospital room, there's 3 other guys in there, and they told me that every day from visiting hours start until visiting hours end there's been no less than 2 strippers sitting by my bedside, with the rest of the hospital floor coming in the room wondering who the hell I am. I ask where the strippers are, and they'd stopped coming the day before. :suicide: The original girl showed back up with the bartender in tow, who was a hot german chick named Greta. We hit it off, I was cleared to leave the hospital, army gave me 30 days free medical leave, so I went to Greta's for a couple weeks then went home for a couple weeks. When I came back to Polk I was on profile for 6 months and couldn't do poo poo. The deployment was already well in full incompetence phase - people working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, falling asleep while driving dozers, grading equipment, etc. This was probably 3 months into the deployment. Guys were constantly uncovering UXO and having it explode as the equipment dug it up. My PSG and PL managed to roll a humvee by falling asleep behind the wheel - after that happened they cut back on hours worked to 12 hour days.

A guy in another platoon knew some people down there, and started seeing a woman during off hours. She had a cute cousin, and we hit it off. I wound up loving her in the cab of a 5 ton dump truck and I laughed at the nasty stains left on the seat the next day, because I didn't have to sit in it.

Finally everything was finished and we celebrated by going out as opfor for a rotation. More gently caress gently caress games and misery. 72 - 96 hour missions running around, bullshit all around, lots of retardation. Vehicles getting stuck, people getting injured, lovely WWII barracks in between. I never thought I'd be happy to get back to Bragg, but gently caress Fort Polk forever.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don't know how yall screwed up so bad all we did was chill with 5th group and run around ambushing OPFOR and loving with units in stx lanes sheesh

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Equine Don posted:

I don't know how yall screwed up so bad all we did was chill with 5th group and run around ambushing OPFOR and loving with units in stx lanes sheesh

When I got towards the end of my time at Campbell I was one of the most squared away dudes. I had potential to go far in the mil. I went to the battalion scouts and was slotted to go to the eagle Pre Ranger bullshit thingy so I could go to Ranger school. I was even going to reenlist. That scout platoon was awesome. During time in the field we would have a few guys duck off to the shoppette and get a couple packs of beer. We could take tents out to the field with us if we wanted. I would take basketball shorts and sandals and sleep in that. Our PSG brought out his Mac-10 to shoot. We got to hang with 5th group on a few field exercises and they showed us some cool stuff. That lasted from March 2012 until June 2012.

Then I got orders to Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Cole posted:

JRTC sucked for me. I had been in my unit for three weeks before we went.

I fell asleep at the fuel point one time. The NCO that found me, SGT Owens, flipped his poo poo and when we got to the training area he smoked everyone who was in the truck, plus an additional 20 minutes alone with me. Shortly after someone hurt themselves. Twisted ankle or something. They had to be driven to an aid station. We never unloaded our bags and the truck they drove off in had mine. During the time I was getting smoked, my gloves fell out of my pocket and I couldn't find them. So when we needed gloves, I didn't have any, so I got smoked again.

A week or so later SGT Owens fell asleep while the vehicle was in motion and ran off the road. At least I did it while we were being still.

The very first night we were there we were on our way to some outpost mockup bullshit. All I remember is it had a lot of small barn looking buildings in it. On our way back from one of the mock patrols, right before sunset, our driver got us stuck in the mud right outside the ECP, so we have to leave the truck there. Earlier in the day I saw a gunner take his FLC off when gunning since it was more comfortable and he probably won't need his magazines anyway. I thought it was a good idea, so I took my FLC off on this patrol since I was the gunner. I unload the 240, I grab my rifle, and my FLC is in the floorboard. My squad leader is hurrying me up and I get out of the truck.

About 20 minutes later we have to go on another patrol. The PSG tells us to mount nods. I tell him that my nods are in my flc. He asks where my flc is, I tell him in the truck that has broken down outside the ECP. he closes his notebook, tells me that i can't go on a patrol without nods, and to figure it out and walks off. i tell one of the squad leaders about it, and he tells me that they have to leave now, and to stay at the base. i go to the TOC because i don't know where else to go, explain why i couldn't go. The NCO that I spoke to had never really spoke to me before, but he put the fear of God in me and let me know I would be paying for it later, and tells me to go find somewhere to sit down until he isn't busy.

I go to one of the barn things and just sit there. In the meantime, a personnel report got called up and I was missing. Nobody knew where the gently caress I was, so they began a small manhunt for me. I got found by my platoon sergeant. He told me to plead my case and I did, and he told me he understood. The NCO in the TOC smoked the poo poo out of me later anyway.

Another time I left the 240 with someone and they left it somewhere, but since it was my 240 I got smoked for about three hours. At the time I had a staph infection on my upper thigh that hadn't been treated, and I was low crawling on rocks. By the time it was done I had a blood patch on my ACU's the size of an encyclopedia. I got 6 hours off for that.

Another time we were QRF and got spun up. We got told to mount our nots. My nods were in my cargo pocket since we were told to keep them in there, and they were tied to my belt loop. I couldn't get the loop undone from my belt loop and the guy next to me pulled his knife out and cut it. Before I mount my nods I'm trying to tie them down to my helmet strap. I get reemed the gently caress out for it taking so long and I get smoked for an hour or so.

Another night we went out to some tent in the middle of nowhere and were unloading the truck. I wore my helmet while we were doing it, because my patrol cap was in the truck cab and I didn't want to be seen slacking off in the truck cab, so I was going to get it later. When I went to get it, it was missing. I went to a few people and asked if they took my patrol cap. I asked one of the team leaders and he smoked the poo poo out of me because I lost my patrol cap. I didn't know where it was, and even I was starting to doubt if it was in the truck cab at this point. I had to wear my helmet the rest of the night, even while I slept. I went outside and was looking for it and couldn't find it. I spent most of that night looking for it. When I went back into the tent everyone was asleep. I woke up and someone came up to me and said "hey man I found your PC in the truck last night but couldn't find you to give to you."

What the gently caress.

JRTC loving sucked rear end.

I eventually got sick and was throwing up on patrol, literally slipping out of consciousness at some points. But I was so afraid of getting smoked that I just drove the gently caress on and probably did some irreparable poo poo to myself.. We were in miles gear and if you died you got to go to the real tent so they could see what it's like when a man dies or some poo poo. Like a free day off. And anytime a firefight or indirect would break out I was standing outside like this:

And I never died, not once.

so much makes sense right now

• Locked thread