Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

aers posted:

Daytime shows aren't based around BD sales, with a few exceptions they sell like crap

And nighttime show "buy the bd" stuff is generally censored boobs, they don't intentionally make it look like poo poo, anime production is just that broken

It's the American comic book industry all over again.

(American comics tried to make dank cash by trying to sell "#1 issues" as a big thing by overproducing them, after seeing how much Action Comics #1 went for, never realizing why it was so valuable and as a result, over-saturated the market with #1 comic-books that have virtually no value at all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

In It For The Tank posted:

Anything this bad?

Oh Goku is fighting the doll from Kami's Tower again.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

Have people seriously never seen a low-budget episode of an anime before? :psyduck: I mean it isn't a good looking episode but the "The ORIGINAL never did this" stuff or the laughable argument "this is modern, ergo it has a bigger budget" is sort of bewildering.

I mean poo poo like this is straight-up ridiculous. If you wanted to compare the bottom you'd compare it to

instead.

Seriously. I mean, aside from ACTUAL animation errors...

You had stuff like

Blobku's honey mustard hair or

One-eyed Veggie

Dragon Ball as a whole is FILLED with episodes of questionable quality. Has been since it was actually called Dragon Ball.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Haha, this is fun even for the old show:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean poo poo like this is straight-up ridiculous. If you wanted to compare the bottom you'd compare it to

instead.

To be fair, this one is really funny bad, not just bad.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I thought you guys were just making fun of bad in-between frames, but after watching the episode, holy poo poo even still shots are really off-model. How did they get away with this?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I thought you guys were just making fun of bad in-between frames, but after watching the episode, holy poo poo even still shots are really off-model. How did they get away with this?

Are you going to watch the next episode anyway?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Look, getting an episode out a week is tough. Those animators don't work on just one show, they do a whole bunch. So sometimes you have to rush, and do just about anything, just to get something out by your due date, even if it's delivered an hour before airing.
So basically, hosed up schedules.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HGH posted:

Look, getting an episode out a week is tough. Those animators don't work on just one show, they do a whole bunch. So sometimes you have to rush, and do just about anything, just to get something out by your due date, even if it's delivered an hour before airing.
So basically, hosed up schedules.

It helps that no one really gives a poo poo about this section of the show. We all know what happens having seen the movie and they are undoubtedly saving their budget for animating the parts up super that people are actually going to give a poo poo about.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Even Attack on Titan was getting worked on right up until airing and even past that where some stations got even better versions. They had stills with voice overs, 3d blue insert color blocks, bad drawings.

Even One Piece

e:

Kild fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This is an edit, though.

It's specially funny because the alien caveman part was actually very well animated: http://i.4cdn.org/a/1439226739245.webm

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

None of the dbz caps posted so far look anything as bad as the Beerus fight. I mean cmon look at the crimson chin over here

Shards of Fate posted:

Whoops forget to attach this in my previous post.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That Beerus thing is hilarious. I mean I know that hilarious wasn't the target, but if you can look at <---that and not laugh then boy do our minds work differently.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Try as they might, Yamcha and Vegeta still could not get the Fusion Dance down properly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How exactly isn't there a QUALITY thread in the subforum anyway?
JoJo SC episode 47 and DBS are enough for at least 10 pages.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Aurain posted:

How exactly isn't there a QUALITY thread in the subforum anyway?
JoJo SC episode 47 and DBS are enough for at least 10 pages.

be the change you want to see

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Amorphous Blob posted:

None of the dbz caps posted so far look anything as bad as the Beerus fight. I mean cmon look at the crimson chin over here

That's an inbetween frame.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

People acting like in-motion distance models should look like dialogue close-up models in this thread lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You see, when Super has bad drawings its bad, but when Z did, it was good and charming.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welcome to the Vegeta era

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Yeah I get that animation is hard, sakuga is a thing, and DBZ and other anime have all done it before, but this is super obvious and bad even when taking all that into account.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh, and here was me hoping that SMC was a one off, oy,

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Is Goku's head on backwards?

Baal posted:

Welcome to the Vegeta era

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Webbeh posted:

Is Goku's head on backwards?

His pupil shrinks then goes back to regular size. It bothers me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A big thing about this episode is that they were animating an actual fight, that wasn't like old DBZ's 3 frame fights (looped fast punching and kicking).

Lower budget, rushed, and having to animate characters actually moving around the screen as opposed to still and talking to each other ends in bad results. The second to last Stardust Crusaders episode had the same issue. This is going to happen, just expect and deal with it, really.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Darko posted:

A big thing about this episode is that they were animating an actual fight, that wasn't like old DBZ's 3 frame fights (looped fast punching and kicking).

Lower budget, rushed, and having to animate characters actually moving around the screen as opposed to still and talking to each other ends in bad results. The second to last Stardust Crusaders episode had the same issue. This is going to happen, just expect and deal with it, really.

I wouldn't mind more 3 frame fights as long as they weren't as half-assed as the ones in DBGT.

I swear, most of GT's battles were the same move repeated over and over again with different dialogue.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Darko posted:

There was that fight a few episodes ago with the alien who could transform, who Whis was trying to take the dinosaur from. That was pretty good. They just don't really know how to manage the budget behind things. Like... usual, really.

Meanwhile

Can we just start posting hilarious inbetweens? Because these keep getting funnier and funnier.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 10, 2015

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

StrifeHira posted:

There was that fight a few episodes ago with the alien who could transform, who Whis was trying to take the dinosaur from. That was pretty good. They just don't really know how to manage the budget behind things. Like... usual, really.

Meanwhile

Can we just start posting hilarious inbetweens? Because these keep getting funnier and funnier.

Goku is just so goddamn nettled about his hand, I love it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like in the old Dragonball anime, itwas a little more forgivable to have poo poo animation and such because they weren't making the show to be good or have any artistic merit (well, individuals who worked on it did, I'm sure, I mean the company behind it), it was just a giant advertisement to buy the manga. Like Transformers or GI Joe or something. Super is original material (maybe, eventually?) so it being poo poo is kind of worse.

I mean, I'm not gonna watch grandma Goku anyway, so I'm holding out for Funimation getting to use cleaned up Blu-Ray quality episodes.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Japanese dub and music are way better.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku FTW

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

I feel like in the old Dragonball anime, itwas a little more forgivable to have poo poo animation and such because they weren't making the show to be good or have any artistic merit (well, individuals who worked on it did, I'm sure, I mean the company behind it), it was just a giant advertisement to buy the manga. Like Transformers or GI Joe or something. Super is original material (maybe, eventually?) so it being poo poo is kind of worse.

I mean, I'm not gonna watch grandma Goku anyway, so I'm holding out for Funimation getting to use cleaned up Blu-Ray quality episodes.

So it's already worked on you regardless and done its purpose. It wanted to sell you a product and you bought it. Preemptively to it coming out. That was the entire purpose of Dragonball Super airing on TV. Toys no longer sell like they used to, so they sell other things.

Like video games.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

... Do you really think they're making Dragonball Super to have artistic merit and not to sell toys, video games and other add-ons?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love me some DBZ but I'm failing to see the artistic merit in 'man screams, turns blond, shoots beams'.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

dragonball games got stale enough that they had to do a weird time travel Original Character Adventures game because there was no reason for people to keep buying them after like 20 years of the same content

if they dont make new characters and storylines they're going to run out of stuff that people will care about buying eventually. basically happened once already after Budokai 3 came out. xenoverse was rad though, i liked it a lot, but they can't just rehash that 20 times

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You'd have thought Broly would have gotten stale after his last movie, but here we are~

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

you can take dub master roshi from my cold, dead hamhands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
http://gabzilla-z.tumblr.com/post/126356261289/skhaan-i-saw-this-on-twitter-and-i-think-its

Well I found a thing that might explain some thing. Jesus Christ, if even a single panel of this is as true as it's presented the industry is hosed.

• Locked thread