Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Moola posted:

More bases!

I think this is what im gonna do for this army, prefer it to the wet mud

sorry for lovely phone quality, not much light atm

HOW did you do this?

It looks awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I also appreciate the layer of chocolate fondant between the chocolate sponge.

The top layer really does look good, and not in a culinary sense.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Moola posted:

More bases!

I think this is what im gonna do for this army, prefer it to the wet mud

sorry for lovely phone quality, not much light atm

What kind of herbs did you use for the loam? It looks fantastic, and I want to steal your basing recipe.

(no, i'm not making food puns)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Cheers duders

the soil/tree bark/small stones are simply various different blends of tea granules. Earl Grey, PG tips etc.

The tea bags were boiled first, then the bags were drained and cut open when dry; the granules were then broken apart by hand and baked in the oven for about 10 minutes to dry them out and prevent any trapped moisture creating mold in the future. Finally the baked granules were left out in the hot summer days to further dry them out and remove the smell

The grass is a combination of GW green flock, and the leafy bits are a mixture of finely ground basil and not ground up bits of parsley. You need to air the parsley and basil outside a bit to remove the smell, but the PVA glue will also remove a lot of it

Soil mixture goes on the base first, then small dabs of the grass are clumped on top. Base itself was painted GW mournfang brown.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

I also appreciate the layer of chocolate fondant between the chocolate sponge.

The top layer really does look good, and not in a culinary sense.

Ive never used liquid greenstuff, do you reckon this would make the base rim flatter???

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Moola posted:

Cheers duders

the soil/tree bark/small stones are simply various different blends of tea granules. Earl Grey, PG tips etc.

The tea bags were boiled first, then the bags were drained and cut open when dry; the granules were then broken apart by hand and baked in the oven for about 10 minutes to dry them out and prevent any trapped moisture creating mold in the future. Finally the baked granules were left out in the hot summer days to further dry them out and remove the smell

The grass is a combination of GW green flock, and the leafy bits are a mixture of finely ground basil and not ground up bits of parsley. You need to air the parsley and basil outside a bit to remove the smell, but the PVA glue will also remove a lot of it

Soil mixture goes on the base first, then small dabs of the grass are clumped on top. Base itself was painted GW mournfang brown.

Seal it with varnish. Without any UV protection it will fade really quickly to a sort of tan shade. I know this because I make all my own basing materials and flocks out of natural materials and I often intentionally let them age in order to get the sort of dry southern swamp grass look I want.

Here's an example of some speed painted Mordheim ghouls hanging out on a piece of terrain from my table.

That grass was like Dark Angels Green when it was applied, for reference, and faded to this shade. I had some of it pre faded laying around so I used it on the ghouls to get a good match.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok cheers

I have this:

Will it do the trick???

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It'll work, but note that Satin is a step in-between Matte and Semi-Gloss, so it'll have a bit of a shine to it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I will do it on a test base!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm about to paint some Reaper Bones and since theyve been used in unpainted fashion theyre covered in finger oil.
Can i use Acetone on Bones Vinyl or should i use just ethanol?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

It does depend on the brand, cadmium is a bit toxic and also more expensive (we need our batteries okay) so you'll see a lot of "cadmium yellow (hue)" on non-miniature paints to indicate they're matching the hue but not using cadmium specifically.

I've never had issue with a cadmium-based yellow paint, is why I was confused.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kommando posted:

I'm about to paint some Reaper Bones and since theyve been used in unpainted fashion theyre covered in finger oil.
Can i use Acetone on Bones Vinyl or should i use just ethanol?

Just use dish soap.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just use dish soap.

But i have all these solvents by virtue of working in a lab, that dont leave residue.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kommando posted:

But i have all these solvents by virtue of working in a lab, that dont leave residue.

Just use dish soap.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's pretty amateur-ish, but I'll live with it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moola posted:

Cheers duders

the soil/tree bark/small stones are simply various different blends of tea granules.

fuckin limeys

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

Ive never used liquid greenstuff, do you reckon this would make the base rim flatter???

Wood filler and fine grain sand paper might work better, personally I think LGS is poo poo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just use dish soap.

Oh, ok.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Just use dish soap. But if you felt like cutting off some spare bits of Bonesium (the bases are usually removed by most painters anyway) and testing them in various solvents, I'd certainly be interested in the results!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

Wood filler and fine grain sand paper might work better, personally I think LGS is poo poo.

Eh I might just leave it, it kinda looks like a cross section of a layer of soil below the base anyway which is cool

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Star Man posted:

It's pretty amateur-ish, but I'll live with it.

This is great and you should be proud.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

Eh I might just leave it, it kinda looks like a cross section of a layer of soil below the base anyway which is cool

I would, I thought that was a really cool detail. Don't ever admit it wasn't on purpose

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put a couple of skulls and bones in the layers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Weird question, but I'm considering getting a uniform-colour spray to do lots of soviets quickish. I've never done that before, though; will I need to spray-prime everything first, or is a base uniform spray going to do fine enough for that job on it's own?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you buy actual OD Green camo spray paint from a milsurp supplier, it'd work perfectly fine on its own.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

spectralent posted:

Weird question, but I'm considering getting a uniform-colour spray to do lots of soviets quickish. I've never done that before, though; will I need to spray-prime everything first, or is a base uniform spray going to do fine enough for that job on it's own?

You can likely skip the primer, but I tend to be a "belt and suspenders" person in this regard, and would apply primer then the base coat, but that might just be me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Silhouette posted:

If you buy actual OD Green camo spray paint from a milsurp supplier, it'd work perfectly fine on its own.

It'd be the mustard/brownish uniform colour, but thanks.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How do you guys prevent the paint on stuff like rivets from fading and rubbing off within a few games?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

How do you guys prevent the paint on stuff like rivets from fading and rubbing off within a few games?

Wash minis, good primer, varnish after painting, transport in something soft and packed so they don't bounce around. Should be enough.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

spectralent posted:

Depends. Army Painter sprays sometimes are great primers and are sometimes awful primers. Their Crystal Blue is a lovely color but a poo poo primer, so priming white is advisable beforehand. If you're going for a camo green or dark grey or whatever it probably won't be as much of an issue though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Wash minis, good primer, varnish after painting, transport in something soft and packed so they don't bounce around. Should be enough.

Varnishing is really scary to me, becausr either it A) ends up looking terrible, or B) ruins the paintjob.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is there a secret to getting the yellow half of green stuff out of its plastic wrap? I got the GF9 stuff so each tube is in its own wrapping and the blue half's plastic rolls off just fine but the yellow has to be basically scrapped out of the center and then I still have to pick plastic out of it before I start the mixing.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

Is there a secret to getting the yellow half of green stuff out of its plastic wrap? I got the GF9 stuff so each tube is in its own wrapping and the blue half's plastic rolls off just fine but the yellow has to be basically scrapped out of the center and then I still have to pick plastic out of it before I start the mixing.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to stave off the sticking (rubbing some oil on the plastic wrap, etc.) without messing with the chemical integrity of the yellow half. I've got the same problem myself (same brand, even), and I've never had a batch where the yellow half didn't stick to the plastic wrap. Fortunately, I seem to have less of the blue hardener stuff than I thought I did, so either it's shrunk in the tube somehow or I've overused it (which is more likely).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

Varnishing is really scary to me, becausr either it A) ends up looking terrible, or B) ruins the paintjob.

Don't be scared of varnish. It's your friend.

If you have an airbrush.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

If you have an airbrush.

Testors Dullcote. :science:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is Purity Seal good enough?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any advice on paint color/combination of colors to get that peachish, pinkish, reddish desert stone look like you see in Bryce or Zion Canyons? (Reference: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Delicate_arch_sunset.jpg)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

head58 posted:

Any advice on paint color/combination of colors to get that peachish, pinkish, reddish desert stone look like you see in Bryce or Zion Canyons? (Reference: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Delicate_arch_sunset.jpg)

Off the top of my head: mix all three primary colors together at different ratios. Go mostly for red and yellow and a little bit of blue to neutralize. Making browns like this is the best way to mix natural neutral colors.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

If you have an airbrush.

I thought the same.

Until I tried it with Vallejo Gloss with a coat of matte.

The matte won't matte and the process darkened the hell out of my models. I'm not pleased at with the results at all.

I'm going to try Liquitex and Testor's next. Hoping I don't ruin more paintjobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Star Man posted:

Off the top of my head: mix all three primary colors together at different ratios. Go mostly for red and yellow and a little bit of blue to neutralize. Making browns like this is the best way to mix natural neutral colors.

I agree, and blue is the best way to get the top layer of darkened spots. It should probably be a bluish grey drybrush.

Only other thought I have is to lay down the striations--the white and black layering under the red/orange first and then use thinned paint to get the color on top. Then drybrush the shaded spots on almost as a highlight. Use saturation for the lit side and desaturation for the shaded side.