Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
"Oh, that guy's hurt."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRM3bFXlyNk

Also, lolz at everyone running into the road yelling at racers to slow down at the end.
I'm in the wrong...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Uthor posted:

"Oh, that guy's hurt."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRM3bFXlyNk

Also, lolz at everyone running into the road yelling at racers to slow down at the end.

Why shouldn't they? In auto racing it would be a yellow flag situation. There's an unexpected hazard there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Roadies are loving idiots at the best of times, this here is a perfect example of why.

...and I say this as someone who rides a road bike.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Why shouldn't they? In auto racing it would be a yellow flag situation. There's an unexpected hazard there.

I figured the racers would see that something was wrong up ahead and be slowing down on their own. Or that it would be better to stand to the side and further up the road to wave a flag/shirt/whatever instead of just yelling at everyone when they're already at the corner.

It also seems like a lot of yelling seemed to be directed at riders who already slowed down enough to navigate around the accident.

I get the instinct to warn the riders, just not how it was being done.

:shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Uh, and also, before they started doing that, two idiots hurt themselves and probably the guy on the motorcycle.

You figured wrong, Uthor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its not like theyd of paid attention to a yellow flag or lights

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

I figured the racers would see that something was wrong up ahead and be slowing down on their own. Or that it would be better to stand to the side and further up the road to wave a flag/shirt/whatever instead of just yelling at everyone when they're already at the corner.

It also seems like a lot of yelling seemed to be directed at riders who already slowed down enough to navigate around the accident.

I get the instinct to warn the riders, just not how it was being done.

:shrug:

The whole video takes place in just over a minute. It's not like they had time to think things through and organize a team of flaggers

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

go3 posted:

its not like theyd of paid attention to a yellow flag or lights
I mean, they are bicyclists - signals don't pertain to them! :q:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krakkles posted:

I mean, they are bicyclists - signals don't pertain to them! :q:

Oh my gently caress I had a guy on a bicycle in front of me on the road the other day just decide to ride into the intersection on a red, ride in a circle around it, TWICE, while the other direction had a green and there were cars who wanted to go, and ended his loop going what would have been a left turn from where he started.

I really really wished the old guy on the right in the beat up old pickup had just said "gently caress this poo poo" and went while he was loving around.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Krakkles posted:

Uh, and also, before they started doing that, two idiots hurt themselves and probably the guy on the motorcycle.

You figured wrong, Uthor.

The motorcycles really shouldn't have stopped in the middle of the road...they were just making themselves another hazard on a corner that's obviously already problematic.

On the other hand wow way too many of the racers were over cooking that corner and if that first guy hadn't hit the car it looks like he would have shot off the edge of the road and down the mountain. Wonder what the grade leading into that corner was.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Levitate posted:

On the other hand wow way too many of the racers were over cooking that corner and if that first guy hadn't hit the car it looks like he would have shot off the edge of the road and down the mountain. Wonder what the grade leading into that corner was.

If you look closely, he hits a bump as he's braking and is riding on only his front tire when he slams into the car. He probably wouldn't have been able to slow down much more had he kept both wheels down, but he would have at least been able to turn.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They would have been going 50-60mph before that corner. I assume he just mis-judged his braking point, plus carbon wheels don't have as good of bite. Broken pelvis, ribs, collapsed lung from what I hear.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 10, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Levitate posted:

The motorcycles really shouldn't have stopped in the middle of the road...they were just making themselves another hazard on a corner that's obviously already problematic.

Yeah what jerks, they should have just continued on in their lane, instead of trying to stop in an uncertain situation with people laying on the ground in front of them in the road and oh right, their lane being full of stopped vehicles.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Uthor posted:

If you look closely, he hits a bump as he's braking and is riding on only his front tire when he slams into the car. He probably wouldn't have been able to slow down much more had he kept both wheels down, but he would have at least been able to turn.

He's in the air as he comes into frame... He had no chance.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As someone who watches a lot of motor racing, it looked to me like all of them took horrible lines through that corner. I would have thought carrying speed through corners would be even more important on bicycles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As someone who watches a lot of motor racing, it looked to me like all of them took horrible lines through that corner. I would have thought carrying speed through corners would be even more important on bicycles.

Probably, but the racing line would have cut them across overheated bikers and all the. cars.
Whole thing was a clusterfuck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It really is but again, road cyclists generally have awful bike control. If you ever go out on a ride with a bunch of people on road bikes it's all to easy to tell those that only ride road and those that ride mountainbikes and such too because the roadies are the ones that are barely in control of their bikes. They can happily bang out 100 miles a day with ease but being behind one descending a road like that is loving scary.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I present to you, the worlds worst wedding tradition from Chechnya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQqJuo7Hwo
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8ad_1439115941#TxSqmJk8FDzUr1lB.16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=139&v=qSzj0BBj5kI

etc

:psyduck:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Some are better than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA

Two weeks ago we had someone go off the road in a corner on a small descent, after we had ridden up the road, and there was pretty much just that one corner. Also they were on a TT bike, which is a pretty good sign of an even worse bike handler.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jamal posted:

Two weeks ago we had someone go off the road in a corner on a small descent, after we had ridden up the road, and there was pretty much just that one corner. Also they were on a TT bike, which is a pretty good sign of an even worse bike handler.

All respect to that man. :allears:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jamal posted:

So I'm not a cyclist, but it strikes me as pretty loving stupid to have all those cars sharing a narrow mountain road with the bikes like that. What the hell?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Locator posted:

So I'm not a cyclist, but it strikes me as pretty loving stupid to have all those cars sharing a narrow mountain road with the bikes like that. What the hell?

They're support cars, carrying extra bikes and snacks and such.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah they are trying to stay out of the way as best as possible but sometimes that happens. They kind of need to be there, but in an amateur race you will be lucky to have one wheel car plus lead and follow, and maybe neutral support. With big tours every team has a couple of cars along plus there are marshalls, tv, medical, and then other support cars that aren't the team. Basically to make sure if someone has a problem with their bike they can get an immediate fix/replacement and be back with the group.

Actually poo poo like that happens fairly often. Just recently a camera motorcycle took out a race leader:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/08/news/moto-collision-knocks-van-avermaet-out-of-contention-in-san-sebastian_380192

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWb0bACcDc0
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CB1BamtUIAAR3io.mp4

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 11, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

The crazy part is that for a second the driver hits 25 km/h (127 mph), and continues on at 190/118 after matching speeds.

That would scare me more than a helicopter tbh, some eastern european shitbox doing 120 down the highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jye40dwDDlc

I thought this was a sick song mix.

e: To stay relevant with this page, check out the cyclist on the right side at about 1 minute exactly. Wonder how his eardrums/pants are doing.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 11, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today at work I had a customer come in and ask for "A spray that you can spray on your brakes to stop it from squeaking" that she could use until her next paycheck to replace the brakes. She looked at every lubricant and asked me if it would work cause the label said "stops squeaks".

I honestly don't know if she legit thought that would work or if she was trying to get me to say it would work, crash when her brakes don't work cause she sprayed lubricant on the pads and try to sue the store over it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I got woken up early this morning. Keep in mind I have an automatic Ford Focus, she drives a Ford Fusion.

"I can't move your car."

"Hrmglewha?", hello person in face

"I don't know how to let the brake off", okay

"It's the exact same way as your car."

"No its not"

Engine on? Yes
Hold down the foot brake? Yes
Take right hand from shifter, move it towards you along the console, grab the lever that's sticking up press the chrome button on top and guide the lever down? "You're an rear end in a top hat, you do it."

I was less than impressed.

I'm not proud about going from zero to road rage in less than a minute awake, but Jesus Christmas I haven't even rolled out of bed yet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Guy, the reason I turned my lights off and on again twice while behind you isn't because I'm an rear end. It's because you are driving down the dark highway with just your DRL on. This is the 3rd time I've seen you do this.

I realize you have paper tags so you may not know but you're going to cause an accident.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Public flogging for people who are unable to use their lights at night is really the only way to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be content with some effective policing. Slap someone with a $100 fine and they learn real quick.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

I'd be content with some effective policing. Slap someone with a $100 fine and they learn real quick.

No, that only works for things that aren't immediately obvious, like speeding or failing to signal or talking on a cellphone. If you can't figure out why lights are necessary at night, and/or how to activate them, I don't think it's a problem that can be fixed. Your brain is simply defective at that point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PT6A posted:

No, that only works for things that aren't immediately obvious, like speeding or failing to signal or talking on a cellphone. If you can't figure out why lights are necessary at night, and/or how to activate them, I don't think it's a problem that can be fixed. Your brain is simply defective at that point.

I don't want to go that far. Most cars with DRLs turn on the lights for the gauges as well, and it's generally thought that if the cluster lights are on, the rest of the lights are on. Hit them with a ticket for it and they will hopefully be reminded to check to see if their lights are on.

A simple solution that unfortunately doesn't work for everyone: Leave your lights on all the time. Unfortunately there are still new cars out there that don't turn lights off automatically when you turn off the ignition.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GutBomb posted:

A simple solution that unfortunately doesn't work for everyone: Leave your lights on all the time. Unfortunately there are still new cars out there that don't turn lights off automatically when you turn off the ignition.

I still dont understand how this wasn't the standard instead of creating DRLs in the first place. Another bulb to burn out instead of just expecting everyone to have their lights on all the time :psyduck:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BraveUlysses posted:

I still dont understand how this wasn't the standard instead of creating DRLs in the first place. Another bulb to burn out instead of just expecting everyone to have their lights on all the time :psyduck:

I understand the life expectancy on automotive headlights isn't so hot, so less bright but more resilient DRL bulbs make sense.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
DRLs on cars minimize the effect of always-on headlights on motorcycles and make us stand out less, which decreases our safety.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I swear because of DRL's a ton of people seem to think that the blue headlight light on the dashboard means that their headlights are on with no idea what highbeams are. I actually had that conversation with a lyft driver one night and she would not believe me that it in fact meant she was blinding every other driver on the road. It was a bit of a terrifying car ride.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

DRLs on cars minimize the effect of always-on headlights on motorcycles and make us stand out less, which decreases our safety.

Light based indicators: the exclusive realm of motorcycles :rolleyes:

If they banned all vehicles with >2 wheels from the road who would you blame?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Light based indicators: the exclusive realm of motorcycles :rolleyes:

If they banned all vehicles with >2 wheels from the road who would you blame?

Liberals.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PCOS Bill posted:

make your pipes louder

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I got woken up early this morning. Keep in mind I have an automatic Ford Focus, she drives a Ford Fusion.

"I can't move your car."

"No its not"

Engine on? Yes
Take right hand from shifter, move it towards you along the console, grab the lever that's sticking up press the chrome button on top and guide the lever down? "You're an rear end in a top hat, you do it."

I'm not proud about going from zero to road rage in less than a minute awake, but Jesus Christmas I haven't even rolled out of bed yet.

God drat, that style of parking brake is pretty drat common, too.

Negromancer posted:

I swear because of DRL's a ton of people seem to think that the blue headlight light on the dashboard means that their headlights are on with no idea what highbeams are. I actually had that conversation with a lyft driver one night and she would not believe me that it in fact meant she was blinding every other driver on the road. It was a bit of a terrifying car ride.

I visited family yesterday which meant spending 3+ total hours on the highway, round trip. The amount of times I changed lanes to get away from really loving bright people was insane. All newer cars, all clearly running brights.

Also props to the idiot cyclist on the shoulder of the highway wearing absolutely no reflective anything at 9:00 at night. Death wish.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

"I can't move your car."

"No its not"

Engine on? Yes

Im on your wifes side, why use a parking brake in an auto?