Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

chestnut santabag posted:

google is graduating from the ballpit finally
graduating to alphabet blocks

pretty sure they are betting on people just calling them 'alpha' so they can 'be alpha'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I propose that the funy computer name for Alphabet is Alphabutt, all in favor say aye

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i hope the irony of berkshire buying precision castparts today, an airplane parts manufacturer and a company with a moat and larry announcing hes gonna be warren buffett by investing in companies like biotech startup calico isn't lost on people

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
update the google buyers guide

google
outlook: not so good

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Glassholes, brought to you by Alphabutt

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

DaNzA posted:

pretty sure they are betting on people just calling them 'alpha' so they can 'be alpha'

it's bc they're alphas, and they're betting with google's money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

now they can still lead the company without actually working at the company and when they get tired of alphabet they can start yet another parent

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
abcnroid

ufarn
May 30, 2009
abc.wtf

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lmbo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

well loving played msft

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

well loving played msft
doesn't look like microsoft registered that domain

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

doesn't look like microsoft registered that domain

:iamafag: shaggar!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GOOG & GOOGL up almost 6% after hours

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

good blog post basically summing up what i said

But to my mind the bigger issue is that, as Google shifts from being a single company to a conglomerate, a mission statement such as organizing the world’s information needs to be replaced by an investment strategy, and it also needs an investment manager. One of the defining characteristics of Berkshire Hathaway is that it’s very transparent about the principles on which it’s managed (see the Owner’s Manual written by Buffett in 1999). Its management is both highly skilled in making investments but also highly focused on achieving specific financial goals with those investments. By contrast, it’s not clear that Larry Page or any of the other senior managers at Google has this skillset, or that there’s any investment strategy here other than doing things that Larry and Sergey find personally interesting or “important and meaningful” (to borrow the phrase they use in the blog post). That’s a poor guide to an investor as to how to think about the company and its financial performance going forward. The restructuring won’t happen until later this year, but one of the things that Google’s management will have to do between now and then is explain what their investment strategy is.

http://www.beyonddevic.es/2015/08/10/making-sense-of-googles-alphabet-move/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

larry page and crew aren't warren buffett and charlie munger

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

good blog post i found of someone who agreed with me but remember i said it first im the yospos thought leader witness my greatness

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
don't think that we haven't noticed how not even you can post in support of apple any more, cremnob

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

note that he writes those posts from windows 7

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Triglav posted:

good blog post i found of someone who agreed with me but remember i said it first im the yospos thought leader witness my greatness

yep

cremnob posted:

:lol:

larry has completely bought into the VC propaganda of google being a "21st century GE"

cremnob posted:

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i was right. larry's job is now to invest google's money and hope to hit it big. he literally thinks hes warren buffett (and name drops him at the end of the article)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

its time to take your insight to the big times, my man

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

follow me on twitter @cremnob

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
sorry i have a working record player i don't also need a broken one

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

really hope this means google will buy tesla

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

cremnob posted:

good blog post basically summing up what i said

But to my mind the bigger issue is that, as Google shifts from being a single company to a conglomerate, a mission statement such as organizing the world’s information needs to be replaced by an investment strategy, and it also needs an investment manager. One of the defining characteristics of Berkshire Hathaway is that it’s very transparent about the principles on which it’s managed (see the Owner’s Manual written by Buffett in 1999). Its management is both highly skilled in making investments but also highly focused on achieving specific financial goals with those investments. By contrast, it’s not clear that Larry Page or any of the other senior managers at Google has this skillset, or that there’s any investment strategy here other than doing things that Larry and Sergey find personally interesting or “important and meaningful” (to borrow the phrase they use in the blog post). That’s a poor guide to an investor as to how to think about the company and its financial performance going forward. The restructuring won’t happen until later this year, but one of the things that Google’s management will have to do between now and then is explain what their investment strategy is.

http://www.beyonddevic.es/2015/08/10/making-sense-of-googles-alphabet-move/

Google sucks so much at making money they are only the second most valuable company in the world. The investment world can read between the lines, even though Google announced earnings and profit far beyond expectations, they are bankrupt and dead in the water. Investors are just pumping the stock up so they can sell it off before it reaches a penny a share next week.

Edit: There's an easter egg in the announcement. Click on the period after "our drone delivery effort" and you'll be taken to http://www.hooli.xyz/ This is from an HBO show.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 11, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
anroid
beta males
chome
dreams
earwax
fedoras
glass
hell
Incel
j
k
l
moonshits
Oreos
pisssss
Quiznos
roppongi
sharts
tracking
uvula
vuvuzela
wanking
Xvideos
YouTube
zazzle

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Scroogled again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mods pls name change cremnob to BonerMC

then ban BonerMC

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Maybe this is all just an elaborate way of making more people at Google have the title "CEO"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

Maybe this is all just an elaborate way of making more people at Google have the title "CEO"

it literally is. companies they buy get to keep their CEOs and other execs who would otherwise be swallowed up into google and then leave

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
does this mean that apple will eventually be the alphabet killer

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I bet they picked the name Alphabet so they would appear before Apple in the phone book.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I bet they picked the name Alphabet so they would appear before Apple in the phone book.

i bet they didnt

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Ludwig van Halen posted:

a phone... book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the old korean scam

• Locked thread