Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You say that but there's an entire 20 years of DBZ games that rehash the same poo poo that had been long since it was over. gently caress, the original Budokai came out 7 years after DB had ended in Japan. It didn't even contain the Buu Saga, something so ingrained into the series by that point that It should've been a no brainer. The entire appeal of Xenoverse isn't even new characters, no one gives a poo poo about the new villains, that game was sold as you being able to help characters you've already know forever with your own insert character.

If people actually cared about how DBZ content was being fed to them then DBZ games wouldn't have been the same thing for most of the two decades since it had ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Flytrap posted:

http://gabzilla-z.tumblr.com/post/126356261289/skhaan-i-saw-this-on-twitter-and-i-think-its

Well I found a thing that might explain some thing. Jesus Christ, if even a single panel of this is as true as it's presented the industry is hosed.

There's been reporting on this for a while. It's pretty well known.

Pure uncaring Capitalism owns.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Baal posted:

You say that but there's an entire 20 years of DBZ games that rehash the same poo poo that had been long since it was over. gently caress, the original Budokai came out 7 years after DB had ended in Japan. It didn't even contain the Buu Saga, something so ingrained into the series by that point that It should've been a no brainer. The entire appeal of Xenoverse isn't even new characters, no one gives a poo poo about the new villains, that game was sold as you being able to help characters you've already know forever with your own insert character.

If people actually cared about how DBZ content was being fed to them then DBZ games wouldn't have been the same thing for most of the two decades since it had ended.

Hey, be fair. The villains aren't new at all either. (They're from Dragonball Online)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
True enough

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dexo posted:

Pure uncaring Capitalism owns.

Still waiting for Marxist Dragon Ball :ussr:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ImpAtom posted:

... Do you really think they're making Dragonball Super to have artistic merit and not to sell toys, video games and other add-ons?

No not really...but I want to believe. :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Emong posted:

Hey, be fair. The villains aren't new at all either. (They're from Dragonball Online)

That strikes me as so very odd. What even happened to that game? Was it bad and they just want to pretend it didn't happen (like GT sorta) or what?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DB Online was incredibly popular in the areas that had access to it. Hell, that's even why so much of Xenoverse takes from it, where do you get the idea that people disliked it?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The english dub and jams are good too but this is the song that's in my head when I'm pretending to go SSJ3 in my backyard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFUN4CxLww

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flytrap posted:

http://gabzilla-z.tumblr.com/post/126356261289/skhaan-i-saw-this-on-twitter-and-i-think-its

Well I found a thing that might explain some thing. Jesus Christ, if even a single panel of this is as true as it's presented the industry is hosed.

The industry has been hosed for decades now.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just watch Shirobako guys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The english dub and jams are good too but this is the song that's in my head when I'm pretending to go SSJ3 in my backyard:

North Kaio's 2 lines in that video have more emotion than his entire appearance in Super so far. That VA really lost his touch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jivjov posted:

North Kaio's 2 lines in that video have more emotion than his entire appearance in Super so far. That VA really lost his touch.

He's 83.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Still waiting for Marxist Dragon Ball :ussr:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fair enough...but they maybe should have considered re-casting

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Half of this cast is going to be dead before Super ends

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Also fair! Unfortunately, Japan generally doesn't recast voice actors unless they die.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Baal posted:

DB Online was incredibly popular in the areas that had access to it. Hell, that's even why so much of Xenoverse takes from it, where do you get the idea that people disliked it?

In spite of its popularity it didn't end up ported over to Japan, strangely enough. Even more amusing, Heroes is actually getting some other characters that were designed for Online put into the next set of cards.

The fact that it was a Korean MMO and designed as-such DID kinda hurt it more than it helped it, though...

:allears:

This is amazing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Flytrap posted:

If this is news, you probably haven't looked at anime season-releases and then looked at the names behind them.

Momomo posted:

That strikes me as so very odd. What even happened to that game? Was it bad and they just want to pretend it didn't happen (like GT sorta) or what?
Not at all. It was loving awesome. It's just a shame it wasn't ported to our part of the world. (if you were really sick of modern MMO RPG's though, it's nothing especially new on top of that)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

jivjov posted:

Not usually how anime works

most times you get called up for the role till you're dead or until you piss off a casting director

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Baal posted:

I thought they shut it down the past year or two, which seems weird for an MMO. Especially since we never got an English translation, but with stuff like the Kai Buu saga and Super not being licensed, I guess they don't feel obligated to take care of every single big thing quickly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

Also fair! Unfortunately, Japan generally doesn't recast voice actors unless they die.

Yeah...I appreciate the sentiment there; it must be nice for an actor to know that they will be playing THE voice of a character ad infinitum...but its just really annoying how checked out and bored Kaio sounds in Super. He doesn't even sound "old and tired" he just sounds "bored and uninterested"

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

jivjov posted:

Something something Japanese work ethics and pride....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You'll be recast only when you're dead.

And if they could find a way to reanimate corpses to continue voice acting they probably would.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They should stop making all the bad animes I don't like so that the good animes like Dragon Ball have more time and money put in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not to discredit the man, but I prefer Ishizuka as Hercule more than Gouri.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

You'll be recast only when you're dead.

And if they could find a way to reanimate corpses to continue voice acting they probably would.

five years dead and still voicing!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Baal posted:

Gouri had a very specific voice that worked well for a lot of characters, but yeah, I can see it not working that well for Mr. Satan.

I too like the current Satan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Baal posted:

The fact that he's also the voice of old-Joseph Joestar makes me prefer Ishizuka by default.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I prefer Gouri Heihachi to Ishizuka Heihachi though.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
VEGETA

VEGETA

VEGETA

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Baal posted:

The entire appeal of Xenoverse isn't even new characters, no one gives a poo poo about the new villains, that game was sold as you being able to help characters you've already know forever with your own insert character.

This was honestly part of the reason I decided not to go with a generic version and went with the whole "multiple alternate timelines" thing instead for Parallels, because I think that anyone nerdy enough to play a tabletop game of DBZ is going to have, hidden deep down inside, some sort of nerd daydream about their ideal fan character for DBZ. And it's way easier to just go "yeah everything is canon, even if it's contradictory, because time travel" and allow people to make themselves a Princess of All Saiyans, or a three-hundred-year-old Grandpa Goku who's taken over Master Roshi's position, or a Krillin who only barely survived Freeza and got turned into an android to save his life.

All that "Llec Saga" stuff posted earlier in the thread reassured me I'd made the right decision. Nobody wants DBZ with the serial numbers filed off, they want the authentic punchmans experience, and that's what I'm gonna make even if there's no way I can make a cent off this :v:

Also I'm getting pretty close to having a playtestable version, and might run a practice session some time this month.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sometimes japanese companies use old clips of dead VA's, they really don't want to recast if possible.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Squallege posted:

VEGETA

VEGETA

VEGETA

:yeah:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squallege posted:

VEGETA

VEGETA

VEGETA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Man after growing up with the dub having North Kaio actually sound like a sagely being instead of a dad making bad puns and goofy voices for his kid is really jarring

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just tried the Extreme Butoden demo; is the game only going to have Japanese audio? Or was the dub just not done in time for the demo?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Look at these scrubs who actually watch subs :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Farecoal posted:

Look at these scrubs who actually watch subs :colbert:

In general, I prefer to consume media in the language in which it was produced...but DBZ is just so tied to my childhood, to a time before I really realized that the show wasn't originally in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

I mean there was the Metal Cooler movie, so... yeah.

The metal cooler movie is worth like 10 db super episodes. What's up with all the false equivalency in this thread.

• Locked thread