Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I upgrade the Law/Esoteric weapons?

You take the weapon and the upgrade item to an NPC near the retainer bell in Idyllshire. You buy upgrade items for law gear either with centurio seals at the bar in Ishgard or with law tomes from the same person who sells law gear. To get the esoterics upgrade item you need to trade pages from savage alex with the person who sells esoterics weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

How do I upgrade the Law/Esoteric weapons?

Law weapons, you do clan hunts for Centurio Seals or just pile up the law so you can buy a Doman Whetstone, then trade that and your weapon to an Au Ra girl in Idyllshire for the upgraded one.

Esoterics is the same, except instead of a Whetstone you need an Illuminati Gobdip, which I believe is from Savage Alexander floor 4?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If you're having keybind fingerreach issues then rebind WASD to ESDF.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I use 1-6 and q, e, r, t, f, v along with ALT and CTRL versions for three full rows, with all skills on my PLD leaves me with a blank spot or two at 60.

6 and T are generally things I dont need in the thick of battle, like protect.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

ESDF, heresy!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I play on a 360 pad, get hosed nerds.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LordSaturn posted:

I pretty much play the entire game on just a mouse, M1+M2 to move, thumbpad = 12 configurable buttons, + 2 side buttons for ctrl / shift modifiers = 36 possible button combinations. This ensures my other hand can be completely unneeded thereby making drinking and playing that much easier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tenzarin posted:

It is literally the easiest mechanic to learn, Fire3>fire4x3>Bliz3>Bliz4>repeat. OmG 4 buttons!

If you're going to play BLM badly that's your own choice, but please stop spreading this poo poo around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you're going to play BLM badly that's your own choice, but please stop spreading this poo poo around.

Feel free to try to disprove it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tenzarin posted:

This is going to sound crazy, but four Fire IVs and one Fire are better than three Fire IVs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

People keep asking how they can possibly fit all their skills on a standard keyboard layout. Then I look at myself with every monk skill plus five CC, sprint, LB, potions, mounts, chocobro actions, and ohshit chat macros squeezed onto a DS4 and all I can say is "what am I doing with my life suck it scrubs".

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I'm tired of your poo poo. Your rotation is
- less potency per second than F4/F4/F1/F4/F4/B3/B4/T1/F3
- does not have any room to fit in off GCDs or thundercloud procs, or you lose Astral Fire or a F4
- is significantly less mobile than mine
- does not provide a benefit to Enochian uptime

Never mind that your opener blows. For reference, the current one I find optimal is
T-7s Sharpcast
T-4s Quelling
T-2s F1
Enochian - F3, Ley Lines, Raging - F4 - intpot - F1 - F4 - F4 - F4 -
if no proc: Swiftcast - Flare - Convert - F4 - B3
if proc: F3 - Convert - F4 - F4 - F4 - B3

Now gently caress off.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Cue stupid one liner

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tenzarin posted:

BLM is easy mode. You don't even try to explain why 4 f4 is better than just 3 f4 with lightning.

BLM is the most secret and spergin dps of them all our rotations take weeks to master.

Nobody cares about your inability to math you lazy rear end.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Never mind that the whole fixation on a rotation is laughable. Fire 4 until you need to refresh Fire or switch to Ice, fit procs in as appropriate, push cooldowns as appropriate. The only place where you can sort of create a proper order of commands is during your opener.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Since SE prides its storyline so much and literally wants to force people to enjoy it before consuming expansion content I wish they would make it available to play through a second time on a different job.

I'm leveling a DPS and I wouldn't mind reliving the story while making the leveling grind less boring. Why the gently caress did I ever level a tank first?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

I'm tired of your poo poo. Your rotation is
- less potency per second than F4/F4/F1/F4/F4/B3/B4/T1/F3
- does not have any room to fit in off GCDs or thundercloud procs, or you lose Astral Fire or a F4
- is significantly less mobile than mine
- does not provide a benefit to Enochian uptime

Never mind that your opener blows. For reference, the current one I find optimal is
T-7s Sharpcast
T-4s Quelling
T-2s F1
Enochian - F3, Ley Lines, Raging - F4 - intpot - F1 - F4 - F4 - F4 -
if no proc: Swiftcast - Flare - Convert - F4 - B3
if proc: F3 - Convert - F4 - F4 - F4 - B3

Now gently caress off.

1. Fire4x3 is higher pot/s than F4/F4/F1/F4/F4/B3/B4/T1/F3 because it is shorter.
2. Rotation is shorter, plenty of times for procs.
3. Losing astral fire/fire 4 is just as bad in both rotations.
4. It is slightly less mobile, I agree.
5. Enochian only benefits you if it is up. You should never lose it.

Your opener:
Unless I missed something and int pots give you mana back there is no way you are casting 7 f4 unless you have increased your mana by like 3k. Will look into this int pot mana thing.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody cares about your inability to math you lazy rear end.

I have pictures with rough "math" but imgur wont let me upload. Will update later.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 11, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Int pots don't give mana. It might be 2 F4 for a total of 6, I'm checking.

E: corrected math:

fakeedit: yeah it's Convert - F4 - F4 - B3. Typo in my post where I copied that from.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

Int pots don't give mana. It might be 2 F4 for a total of 6, I'm checking. F4x3 is lower pot, see:

(260*0.7 is f3 in umbral, 40*6+30 is t1 potency not account for average potency of thundercloud)

fakeedit: yeah it's Convert - F4 - F4 - B3. Typo in my post where I copied that from.

Might be best to look at it without procs because they really skew it if they happen.

I'm seeing f3>f4>f4>f4>b3 at 15s,1920 potency, and 128 pot/s.
I'm seeing f3>f4>f4>f1>f4>f4>b3 at 20.5s, 2604 potency, and 127 pot/s.

The longer rotation is going to give you the most problems during the middle of enochian before you can refresh it. I almost always found myself have to cut the longer rotation down from mana, movement, or enochian.

I'm not calculating for the speed up from going astral fire > umbral.

Edit: imgur worked

Openers -

Rotations -

I added in the decreases and increases for astral fire and umbral ice.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2015

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Brannock posted:

as someone who demands that the loving index finger feel the indent, i cannot condone this course of action.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Obvious answer is to get a dedicated gamepad like a G13.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Might be best to look at it without procs because they really skew it if they happen.

I'm seeing f3>f4>f4>f4>b3 at 15s,1920 potency, and 128 pot/s.
I'm seeing f3>f4>f4>f1>f4>f4>b3 at 20.5s, 2604 potency, and 127 pot/s.

I'm not calculating for the speed up from going astral fire > umbral.
No procs there.
You're not counting b4 but:

f3 f4 f4 f4 b3 is 14s (2.5*2 + 3*3) and 1954 potency (260*0.7 + 504*3 + 260) = 140pps

f3 f4 f4 f1 f4 f4 b3 is 19.5s (2.5*3 + 3*4) and 2782 (260*0.7 + 504*4 + 324 + 260) potency = 142pps.

E: had the wrong numbers, corrected:
f3 f4 f4 f4 b3 is 14s (2.5*2 + 3*3) and 1848 potency (2*240*0.7 + 504*3) = 132pps

f3 f4 f4 f1 f4 f4 b3 is 19.5s (2.5*3 + 3*4) and 2676 (2*240*0.7 + 504*4 + 324) potency = 137pps

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 11, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Openers -

Rotations -

I added in the decreases and increases for astral fire and umbral ice.

Fix the potencies.

E: I realised I've been using 260 for F3/B3 for some reason instead of 240. Doesn't change much though.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

No procs there.
You're not counting b4 but:

f3 f4 f4 f4 b3 is 14s (2.5*2 + 3*3) and 1954 potency (260*0.7 + 504*3 + 260) = 140pps

f3 f4 f4 f1 f4 f4 b3 is 19.5s (2.5*3 + 3*4) and 2782 (260*0.7 + 504*4 + 324 + 260) potency = 142pps.

So can we atleast say they are close in damage. The reason for me to recommend it was that it was a simpler rotation that people couldn't some how deal with Enochian.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

Fix the potencies.

So fire *1.8 and b3 *.7?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yes

E: Fire*1.8, Flare*1.8. B3*0.7.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

So can we atleast say they are close in damage. The reason for me to recommend it was that it was a simpler rotation that people couldn't some how deal with Enochian.

It's not just Enochian, it's also Astral Fire. And your rotation is a lot less forgiving on that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

Fix the potencies.
opener

rotation

The longer one does work but at one point it is too long for enochian when the buff is below 20s. Maybe if you did a opener then did the f4x4 when enochian lasts > 20s and switch to the faster rotation when enochian is below 20s.

To be correct, how do I calc the cast time for b3 in astral and for f3 in umbral? is it 50%?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You refresh Enochian after the second rotation (which is why it's no big deal if it falls off due to procs towards the end of your 25s rotation).

The recast time doesn't change, just the cast time. You don't need to adjust anything.

E: They should both be 2.5. They're only 3.5s when you let stacks drop, and that's not the case during your rotation.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

You refresh Enochian after the second rotation (which is why it's no big deal if it falls off due to procs towards the end of your 25s rotation).

The recast time doesn't change, just the cast time. You don't need to adjust anything.

You would have to go into 3 rotations per enochian. Opener is 25-27 then rotations are 20s. You would be refreshing in in the middle of the rotation.

Fixed them again, f3 wasn't updated & flare

openers

rotations

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 11, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oh god, it's a wizard duel, everbody run for cover

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You might lose 1 Fire 4 every 3 rotations if you get a unlucky thundercloud proc (first half of the rotation) and you use it. Otherwise your Enochian expires right as the rotation ends which is fine.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I had figured some damage would be lost, but both ways look solid. With your opener, why not swiftcast a f4 instead of flare? oh, something doesn't look right with flare. I thought flare didn't reset astral fire?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It resets. I swiftcast a F4 in the proc opener (should edit that in). Flare is the better use of swiftcast when you don't get a proc (~75 nominal (i.e. what's on the tooltip) potency vs ~45 nominal potency)

So proc opener looks something like
sharpcast
quelling
f1 f3proc (ley/raging) f4 pot f1 (proc happens) f4 f4 f3proc (swiftcast) f4 (convert) f4 f4 b3

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

It resets. I swiftcast a F4 in the proc opener (should edit that in). Flare is the better use of swiftcast when you don't get a proc (~75 nominal (i.e. what's on the tooltip) potency vs ~45 nominal potency)

sharpcast
quelling
f1 f3proc (ley/raging) f4 pot f1 (proc happens) f4 f4 f3proc (swiftcast) f4 (convert) f4 f4 b3

Should I have 2.5 for the insta casts?

I updated the rotations for f3 switch from umbral ice.

rotations

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, anything that's instant should be 2.5

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KaneTW posted:

sharpcast
quelling

Updated again, except for the f1 fishing opener which its safe to assume it does higher pot/s. Would have to have 2 full rotations, 1 with the f3 proc and without.

opener

rotations

Safe to assume anyone can choose either rotation?

I would bet best would be to do an opener>longer rotation>shorter rotationx2>repeat or opener>longer rotationx2>shorter rotation>repeat.

Both ways are just a fracture apart!

Edit: need to fix your f4 in the opener. They should be about equal.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'm just gonna go poke poo poo with my lance then fire dragon lasers, peace

• Locked thread