Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

idris elba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Hey, goons! Monte "the Moon" Cook is hosting an AMA on ENWorld, If you guys have any pressing questions about Native Americans, ivory towers, lunar geography, or game design.

Seems like a foolish idea to do an AMA on a linearly threaded forum, especially for someone so notable in his field. But I guess he's got to play to his audience.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who does everyone think should play The Sun in the upcoming Exalted Motion Picture? My ideas:

- A torch

- A big pile of burning leaves

- Aaron Eckhart. What's this guy been up to lately? Do you think he resents Jon Hamm? I feel like they do the same thing but Jon Hamm does it better. Also what happened to Ted from Better Off Ted?

- A flashlight

- Some matches

- A Lite-Brite

- The moon

Christopher Lee's... dead body

That one sun baby from teletubbies

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Monte "Moonte" Cook is an inspiration

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
UY Scuti

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who does everyone think should play The Sun in the upcoming Exalted Motion Picture? My ideas:

- A torch

- Aaron Eckhart. What's this guy been up to lately? Do you think he resents Jon Hamm? I feel like they do the same thing but Jon Hamm does it better. Also what happened to Ted from Better Off Ted?

- A flashlight

- Some matches

- A Lite-Brite

- The moon

His name is The Unconquered Sun and he is being played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FactsAreUseless posted:

- A torch

- A flashlight

- Some matches

- A Lite-Brite

- The moon

The Exalted Motion Picture. Coming 2155.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

It'll be leaked online in 2150.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

Coinciding with the release of Exalted 3e, I see.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know this isn't really a pet thread anymore, but my parents just got a dog and, holy hell, does this guy scratch and nip. The kid is rather playful.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

As an FYI if you haven't seen the email:

DriveThruRPG was hacked; credit card numbers used on the site between 7/10/15 and 8/6/15 may be compromised (notice is a pinned post on their FB page). More info in their FAQ on the breach.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I just made the connection between "squamous" and "squamate" (i.e. the lizards) today. Thanks, thread. Rugose shows up frequently in zoology (skulls and skins and whatnot).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

I know this isn't really a pet thread anymore, but my parents just got a dog and, holy hell, does this guy scratch and nip. The kid is rather playful.

Distract him with a puzzle feeder or something similar. You'll now you got it right when he shows you his SERIOUS DOG BUSINESS face. Then take a photo of his SERIOUS DOG BUSINESS face and post it here.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So what are some RPGs with crazy random character creation systems or other fun randomized tables/creators? My example is deadEarth, which has an absolutely nuts mutation system: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/downloads-games/deadearth-resources/

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Reign has a great one; you roll 11d10 and match up all like numbers; each pairing not only gives you your stats, but has a small story blurb that you can stitch together into a full background. Literally doing one right now, I get:

1x1 Exiled
2x2 Petty Thief
1x3 Someone Got Spurned
1x6 Gladiator
2x7 Lowly Sage
1x8 Kidnapped by Barbarians
1x9 Gnostic/Mystic/Religious Experience
2x10 Noble By-Blow

If you can't make some kinda crazy ttg character appropriate background out of those I dunno what to say.

There was a chargen website for it here but it's since been lost.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There was a chargen website for it here but it's since been lost.
You can still access it through The Wayback Machine.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

clockworkjoe posted:

So what are some RPGs with crazy random character creation systems or other fun randomized tables/creators? My example is deadEarth, which has an absolutely nuts mutation system: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/downloads-games/deadearth-resources/

Central Casting which is long out of print, but there's a cool post in the old charcter gen thread here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think there were a couple of outputs from the fantasy version in one of the Fatal and Friends threads too, one of which spit out a demigod that was all kinds of weird.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ProfessorCirno posted:

1x1 Exiled
2x2 Petty Thief
1x3 Someone Got Spurned
1x6 Gladiator
2x7 Lowly Sage
1x8 Kidnapped by Barbarians
1x9 Gnostic/Mystic/Religious Experience
2x10 Noble By-Blow

If you can't make some kinda crazy ttg character appropriate background out of those I dunno what to say.

You just about rolled the Conan movies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

Maid.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ewen Cluney's Schoolgirl RPG

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Ratpick posted:

Hey, I just got the weirdest idea and I'd like to see if this gets any traction. There might be a homebrew in this:

So, John Harper's Lasers & Feelings is pretty much the best rules right Star Trek RPG out there, and the best thing about it is that it converts to almost any genre where you can easily see two poles that are used to define characters, right? So, you could probably use it for, say, the Cthulhu Mythos as Sanity (traditional investigative techniques) & Sorcery (knowledge of how things work under the rules of the Mythos and how to use it).

What if your character's place on this scale wasn't static but it was used more as a sliding scale? What if events in the game could push your character towards the Sorcery end of the scale (as your character experiences the mythos they lose sight of reality and start to lose their mind, which also grants insight into how magic works)? Strangely enough, it produces an effect that emulates the way Call of Cthulhu is traditionally played but also reinforces the narrative of going slowly insane until the only sensible thing to do seems to be to cast that spell you found in one of the old dusty tomes, because as your character slowly loses their mind and moves towards the Sorcery end of the scale traditional investigative techniques become much less reliable and characters need to rely more on supernatural tools.
Following up on this (and the whole discussion it spawned) you might be interested in Cthulhu Dark by Graham Walmsley. It's a rules-light mythos game with a sliding Insanity score from 1 to 6 (1 being mostly sane, 6 being insane and on your way out of the story) that can increase whenever your character comes across something horrific or risks insanity to achieve their goals (which covers e.g. blacking out in a brawl and beating someone to a pulp as much as doing sorcery or entering the Dreamlands). Once it gets to 5 you can reduce it by denying the horror and destroying evidence of it. There's a couple of rules expansions as well: Dark Tales and Dark Depths.

It's not the same mechanic as Lasers and Feelings, but it might be useful.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

UnCO3 posted:

Following up on this (and the whole discussion it spawned) you might be interested in Cthulhu Dark by Graham Walmsley. It's a rules-light mythos game with a sliding Insanity score from 1 to 6 (1 being mostly sane, 6 being insane and on your way out of the story) that can increase whenever your character comes across something horrific or risks insanity to achieve their goals (which covers e.g. blacking out in a brawl and beating someone to a pulp as much as doing sorcery or entering the Dreamlands). Once it gets to 5 you can reduce it by denying the horror and destroying evidence of it. There's a couple of rules expansions as well: Dark Tales and Dark Depths.

It's not the same mechanic as Lasers and Feelings, but it might be useful.

I love Cthulhu Dark, but was unaware of the expansions you just linked! Dark Tales definitely looks like a good resource to look for advice in running Mythos scenarios. Thanks!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ewen Cluney's Schoolgirl RPG

Meep.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tolan posted:

As an FYI if you haven't seen the email:

DriveThruRPG was hacked; credit card numbers used on the site between 7/10/15 and 8/6/15 may be compromised (notice is a pinned post on their FB page). More info in their FAQ on the breach.

Thank christ I use paypal on there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ratpick posted:

Dark Tales definitely looks like a good resource to look for advice in running Mythos scenarios. Thanks!

I read this as "Duck Tales" and now I really want to run that.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

moths posted:

I read this as "Duck Tales" and now I really want to run that.

This inspired me too Google Duck Tales and Cthulhu together and this is what I found:

So, I guess that's a thing.

In cat-related posting, my loving idiot of a cat has for some reason taken to grabbing huge chunks of food from her bowl, throwing them on the floor and then proceeding to nibble at them from the floor. What are you doing, cat?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ratpick posted:

This inspired me too Google Duck Tales and Cthulhu together and this is what I found:

So, I guess that's a thing.

In cat-related posting, my loving idiot of a cat has for some reason taken to grabbing huge chunks of food from her bowl, throwing them on the floor and then proceeding to nibble at them from the floor. What are you doing, cat?

diagnosis: is a cat
closed: WONTFIX

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

diagnosis: is a cat
closed: GETADOG

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey guys, just in case poo poo gets stuck in spam filters, DriveThruRPG issued this lovely email:

DrivethruRPG posted:

Dear customer,

I regret to inform you that one of our servers suffered a security breach which may have compromised your credit card information.

You are receiving this email because you made a purchase (or attempted to make a purchase) on our site using a credit card between July 6th, 2015 and the morning of August 6th, 2015. There is a 50% chance that hackers were able to collect your credit card information. We recommend that you contact your credit card issuing bank and ask them to replace any cards that you used for charges on our site, and also look over your most recent statements for any suspicious charges.

(...)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey guys, just in case poo poo gets stuck in spam filters, DriveThruRPG issued this lovely email:

The good news is I have a hardcover copy of Battle Century G! The bad news is I had to close my debit card. You win some, you lose some.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Real glad I decided to hold off on that torchbearer expansion. And by "decided to hold off on" I mean "got too lazy to buy".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What expansion? What happened?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Good thing I didn't buy anything from DTRPG yet or else I would've been part of the credit card thing"

Don't think he was talking about the quality of the book.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I didn't realize that's what he was referring to. My bad.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm glad I lost my credit card and had got a new one, jesus

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm glad I lost my credit card and had got a new one, jesus

same.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Speaking of DTRPG things, what is this? There's a banner ad for it here on SA, I thought it was another Aggrogator link at first.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

ElegantFugue posted:

Speaking of DTRPG things, what is this? There's a banner ad for it here on SA, I thought it was another Aggrogator link at first.

It got posted for feedback in the design thread awhile ago. I gave it some pretty heavy crit at the time, but this fleshed out version is much better. I do think it would be better if the "Running A Game" section foreword wasn't a string of apologies for how tricky it to run the game. Overall, though, it really shaped up.

Edit: Cats

ScaryJen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Glad my last order from DTRPG was back in February. Certainly makes me less paranoid.

To keep with petchat, here is a tiny dog I live with. He's a trained therapy dog and is quite tired after visiting a nursing home earlier today, hence the goofy clothes.

• Locked thread