Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

rear end cream

I believe Jericho was also involved in this. J&E&C were the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fsmhunk posted:

Time to put oldpainless BACK in the bag.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

triplexpac posted:

That time WWE made him go to TNA for an announcement and he looked like he wanted to die

He calls that the AJ Experience!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

‏@ObserverQuotes 4m4 minutes ago

Kenta Kobashi, who Bruce Prichard was really high on, said that he'd like to go to WWF over the summer and do a program with Vader. [2/98]

How close did this actually come to happening?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Thauros posted:

Not close enough.

STONE COLD TAKES THE BURNING HAMMER OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!

(So in the alternate timeline he breaks his neck twice! :haw:)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Thauros posted:

closer than you think.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Not close enough.

STONE COLD TAKES THE BURNING HAMMER OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!

(So in the alternate timeline he breaks his neck twice! :haw:)

Not that this wouldn't have been great to see, but Kobashi didn't break out the Burning Hammer for the first time until October of '98.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Thauros posted:

the wwf WAS interested in signing kobashi but kobashi wanted to work ajpw dates along with wwf dates and wwf wanted him as a full-timer so it fell through

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What are some of the most successfully-executed "rubs" in WWE history? It's a lot easier to think of the missed opportunities, especially with current discussion about Taker possibly absorbing the Streak rub, or misc. Hogan shenanigans over the years.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It's hard to think of two more different contemporaneous promotions than late 90s AJPW and WWF. That would've been so weird.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 11, 2015

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Minidust posted:

What are some of the most successfully-executed "rubs" in WWE history? It's a lot easier to think of the missed opportunities, especially with current discussion about Taker possibly absorbing the Streak rub, or misc. Hogan shenanigans over the years.

HHH getting the rub from Foley? i guess? maybe?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Corporate Kane posted:

HHH getting the rub from Foley? i guess? maybe?

Foley arguably made Edge too.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Angular Landbury posted:

Foley arguably made Edge too.

yeah i forgot about that. Foley basically made a lot of people look really good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not WWE (except by way of corporate takeover) but Flair basically made Sting.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

HHH with Batista should go in there

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Scott Hall entirely made Sean Waltman.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Minidust posted:

I'd say the Austin/Hart match at Wrestlemania 13 went a long way to make Austin a main eventer in the making, as well as give Bret Hart a breath of fresh air that kept him the main focus of the shows for nearly the rest of the year.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Foley gave Orton a huge boost in his feud with him, so much so that he was chosen to beat Benoit for the title.

Then HHH demade him the following month.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Corporate Kane posted:

yeah i forgot about that. Foley basically made a lot of people look really good.

Rocky too.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Rocky too.

Foley didn't make The Rock, who had proven himself long before feuding with/teaming up with Foley. But The Rock became a more developed and interesting character through Rock & Sock for sure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

It can't be overstated how big a deal Undertaker's first year push was just for happening during the Hogan Era. It wasn't 100% intentional either, but it made him seem godly. He was almost immediately thrust into a feud with the Ultimate Warrior that was made to promote house shows. The televised stuff was completely in Undertaker's favor, any Warrior victories were purely on the house show circuit (which they never mentioned on TV), and it then shifted into a Warrior/Jake Roberts feud where Warrior was immediately sidetracked into Hogan's feud with Slaughter. Then he was fired. By the time he came back, Undertaker was already a face, so you had a completely one-sided feud with Warrior on the loser's end. That in itself was major.

But one thing I distinctly remember is a segment on Saturday Night's Main Event where Undertaker attacked Warrior and manhandled him. Rather than Warrior getting his second wind, becoming invincible and kicking Undertaker's rear end, they instead had Hogan run out to save him. Hogan ran into the ring and smashed Undertaker in the face with the championship belt. Undertaker reacted by backflipping over the top rope, landing on his feet and showing zero ill effects while glaring at Hogan before walking away. It's like if Kevin Owens made his Raw debut by powerbombing Cena... followed by no-selling an RKO.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This Tuesday in Texas was also the first time Taker was seen as a credible title threat, wasn't it? I remember that being so weird to have an underpromoted Tuesday PPV and there being relatively little fanfare about what happened on it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tir McDohl posted:

Foley didn't make The Rock, who had proven himself long before feuding with/teaming up with Foley. But The Rock became a more developed and interesting character through Rock & Sock for sure.

Proven himself how, in feuds with midcard Shamrock / HHH? Talking shite. Foley added the element of legitimacy and violence for the Austin feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Proven himself how, in feuds with midcard Shamrock / HHH? Talking shite. Foley added the element of legitimacy and violence for the Austin feud.

The HHH match was seen by pretty much everyone but WWE as the birth of a new main event act in Rock.

WWE saw it that way too, but for HHH. (Not that they didn't have big plans for Rock too.)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

This Tuesday in Texas was also the first time Taker was seen as a credible title threat, wasn't it? I remember that being so weird to have an underpromoted Tuesday PPV and there being relatively little fanfare about what happened on it.

Undertaker was champion by that point. After Summerslam (a PPV that really feels like a feel-good season finale if you ever watch it), Slaughter was done as a heel and main eventer, Warrior was gone and Hogan didn't really have anything to do other than wait for Ric Flair to show up and gain steam. Undertaker was briefly involved in the Sid/Savage/Jake Roberts angle until they decided to promote Hogan vs. Undertaker at Survivor Series as the "Gravest Challenge." It made sense since Undertaker had never really been shown to be vulnerable at all over that first year outside of losing some non-televised matches against Warrior and fighting Sid to a standstill, if that counts.

Undertaker won the title via cheating, but then six days later he lost it back via cheating at Tuesday in Texas. The only real blowoff we got from Hogan vs. Undertaker was Hogan clotheslining him out of the Royal Rumble. Undertaker came out of that fairly unscathed, immediately turned face and spent the next couple years as a top-tier threat who rarely ever remembered that the world title was a thing he could easily win.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
What was the deal with OVW during the Ruthless Aggression era? Specifically after the class that famously featured Brock, Batista, Cena, and Orton. Almost everybody who came out of development was put on TV when they were 22 or younger and green as hell -- the Spirit Squad, Chris Masters, Hassan and Daivari, Rene Dupree (who is the youngest champ in WWE history, tag title holder at 19). I mean the most experienced guys who debuted in 04 were Snitsky and Luther Reigns.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They just didn't really have anybody worth a poo poo. The best guys were probably never going to be future stars (The future Bashams, Rob Conway, Nick Dinsmore) and then you had the rest. At the time they were still prioritizing looks over everything else when hiring people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Minidust posted:

Jeff Hardy and Punk comes to mind.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I know the matches where probably pretty good, but all I can remember from that feud was Punk making himself on the mic.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

DynamiteKidd posted:

Ruthless Aggression era?

i hate this name

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
What are some examples of the WWE being overtly petty and spiteful? Like having Ryback squash JTG after he complained about not getting comped tickets and Cole saying "tweet that JTG!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Web Jew.0 posted:

What are some examples of the WWE being overtly petty and spiteful? Like having Ryback squash JTG after he complained about not getting comped tickets and Cole saying "tweet that JTG!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Web Jew.0 posted:

You've opened the flood gates, I hope you know what you're in for

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

Everything involving the Young Bucks over the past year.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

The entirety of the WCW Invasion angle.

Vince McMahon finally beats his only real competition and instead of using WCW's talent to bolster his success, he makes every WCW star look like an idiot by jobbing them out to mid-tier WWF wrestlers.

And not just once, but many, many times over the course of the following years. He'd probably still be publicly flogging the corpse of WCW if he hadn't effectively handed the reins of his company to StepHHH.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

MagicCube posted:

Oh boy this poo poo again

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MagicCube posted:

Yeah the idea of trying to trademark a loving hand gesture that has been in use for decades because some guys who refused your offer of work use it is one of the heights of childish vindictiveness.

DynamiteKidd posted:

Oh boy this poo poo again

Shine posted:

Every Q&A megathread on the forums has topics that come up repeatedly. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had the same conversations in YLLS' questions megathread over the years. If this sort of thing annoys you so much, then maybe don't read Q&A megathreads.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ecavalli posted:

And not just once, but many, many times over the course of the following years. He'd probably still be publicly flogging the corpse of WCW if he hadn't effectively handed the reins of his company to StepHHH.

they still did this with Sting even though Sting said "this isn't about WCW, that would be insane" and then they made everything about WCW and how bad it was in comparison

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

they still did this with Sting even though Sting said "this isn't about WCW, that would be insane" and then they made everything about WCW and how bad it was in comparison

Dammit! I'd almost managed to completely blot that out of my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

sting spent weeks telling everybody that he was there to stop the injustice of the authority and that WCW was dead but he went and got the original NWO for backup anyway