Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Used my backflip jump to jump off the platform on Titan and then the team died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

ArtIsResistance posted:

A rite of passage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time I did that in demon wall

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Next up, Repelling Shot into a Landslide and fall off that way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LordSaturn posted:

oh god, it's a wizard duel, everbody run for cover

One final post with hopefully everything corrected.

opener

rotations

Going to give opener>longer rotation>shorter rotationx2>repeat and opener>longer rotationx2>shorter rotation>repeat a chance when I do alex savage this week.

Most reasonable thing I can take from this is any proc you can fish will increase your dps a good bit. If you could fit fracture into this somehow.....

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 11, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe if you did a opener then did the f4x4 when enochian lasts > 20s and switch to the faster rotation when enochian is below 20s.

This is basically what I do. I'm not super pro or anything, but I'm almost always top DPS and it gives me a lot of flexibility with enochian. If I have some good turret time I can just refresh it, or if I know a phase change is coming up, I can squeeze out some extra time and then save my refresh for after the change.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

seorin posted:

This is basically what I do. I'm not super pro or anything, but I'm almost always top DPS and it gives me a lot of flexibility with enochian. If I have some good turret time I can just refresh it, or if I know a phase change is coming up, I can squeeze out some extra time and then save my refresh for after the change.

Yeah the fancy 6 f4 opener is fun and you can do it no matter what. I feel like the 3x F4 is easier to pull despite the requirement to sit there for 9s. For whatever reason, I can pull it off better and it feels better than the 2x F4 F1 2x F4. Also going with the 2xF4 I have a much harder time slipping in Thunder casts or responding to casts due to how it takes longer to pull off and thus requires more Enochian on the clock.

I mean either way Enochian is a dumb anti-fun mechanic, but at least Tenzarin's way lets me play blm without actively hating every second of it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That was a hilarious 180 from "tenzarin is an idiot" to "wow tenzarin is fun and cool and so is his rotation"

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

There's no reason to perform Tenzarin's rotation over the one that most people would use naturally - F4x2 F1 F4x2 - when Tenzarin's is less mobile, mathematically proven to be less damage, and much less forgiving for low spellspeed or movement due to how close you come to losing Astral Fire. At least with F4x2 etc. you can move to dodge AoEs in the second half of your rotation without losing AF entirely.

Please don't make misleading, half-assed statements that confuse people new to BLM, such as the following:

Tenzarin posted:

So can we atleast say they are close in damage. The reason for me to recommend it was that it was a simpler rotation that people couldn't some how deal with Enochian.

when anyone who already can't handle Enochian will immediately drop AF after literally any movement whatsoever and flounder like a fish out of water, even more than they would normally while learning Enochian. (not to mention the rotation being numerically inferior)

If you use F4x3 as a stepping stone to learning how to use Enochian, or due to difficulties with learning it, that's fine, and there's nothing wrong with that (aside from possible trouble weaning yourself off it), but it is not superior in any way to F4x2 F1 F4x2. Please stop justifying it like it is.

Thanks to KaneTW for taking the time to math this out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

A rite of passage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sheM7xNJ5EU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eimi posted:

Yeah the fancy 6 f4 opener is fun and you can do it no matter what. I feel like the 3x F4 is easier to pull despite the requirement to sit there for 9s. For whatever reason, I can pull it off better and it feels better than the 2x F4 F1 2x F4. Also going with the 2xF4 I have a much harder time slipping in Thunder casts or responding to casts due to how it takes longer to pull off and thus requires more Enochian on the clock.

I mean either way Enochian is a dumb anti-fun mechanic, but at least Tenzarin's way lets me play blm without actively hating every second of it.

I like Enochian.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I don't. I'm glad we had this conversation.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Then don't play black mage

I don't like mudras that doesn't mean I'm going to play ninja without them

Because I'm not a massive baby who hates change

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Enochian is good.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
When is patch 1.1 supposed to be?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I like お兄ちゃん Enochian.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Doublestep posted:

Then don't play black mage

I don't like mudras that doesn't mean I'm going to play ninja without them

Because I'm not a massive baby who hates change

A terrible analogy. They didn't introduce ninja and then slap in Mudras after an expansion pack. Wanderer's Minuet is the correct thing to say we are babies for not liking.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Enochian is cool and good and fits fine with the BLM design philosophy of being a meat turret.

I still kinda wish they hadn't obliterated Manawall's utility, though, since unlike ninjas and perfect dodge we are actively encouraged to play AoE chicken.

e: I will say that giving both Machinist AND bard a "stand still to do more damage" mechanic seems kind of dumb, they should have given it to one class and not the other to differentiate them more.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Eimi posted:

A terrible analogy. They didn't introduce ninja and then slap in Mudras after an expansion pack. Wanderer's Minuet is the correct thing to say we are babies for not liking.

Yoshida tricked me into thinking mudras were fun and cool I'm still a victim :cheerdoge:

You're right that was a bad analogy

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kirbysuperstar posted:

Next up, Repelling Shot into a Landslide and fall off that way.

One time in Syrcus Tower I repelling shot'd out of the boss arena right before it locked.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my loving God I'm so sorry for asking about BLM

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ciaphas posted:

Ask about Fracture next

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Enochian is cool and good and fits fine with the BLM design philosophy of being a meat turret.

I still kinda wish they hadn't obliterated Manawall's utility, though, since unlike ninjas and perfect dodge we are actively encouraged to play AoE chicken.

e: I will say that giving both Machinist AND bard a "stand still to do more damage" mechanic seems kind of dumb, they should have given it to one class and not the other to differentiate them more.

That kind of sums up what I feel about HW did to the dps classes. So mnk had to watch positioning and drg had to deal with a strict rotation and timers and just gently caress it make every dps deal with the same thing. I mean its not 1 to 1 but things feel far more similar now than before the expansion. Meanwhile War and Drk experiment with alternative resources beyond gcds and tp better than actual dps classes do.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

mr. stefan posted:

It's a bigger change than that. BLM's main gimmick was a simple rotation based on procs, now it's "mah stacks" just like MNK. To a lesser extent, DRG and even SMN get to join that boat now too. It's lazy, repetitive design, which is great for you if you loved MNK, but not so great if you didn't. In related news, a friend of mine who used to raid as MNK really loves the new BLM and is having a blast with it.

e: fb

Ciaphas posted:

If it weren't BLM it would be fracture or eso weapons or something. At least this topic provided actual information instead of just pure, unbridled sperg.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Why? People just discussed mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you really think blm is just ranged monk now then idk what to say to you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Cohort posted:

Thanks to KaneTW for taking the time to math this out.

I made the spreadsheets instead of using "math". The shorter rotation will always be better for the shorter duration enochian.

KaneTW is pretty cool for actually talking about it and not being an rear end in a top hat.

Doublestep posted:

That was a hilarious 180 from "tenzarin is an idiot" to "wow tenzarin is fun and cool and so is his rotation"

Love you too.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 11, 2015

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Seorin you've bitched about how Yoshi ruined crafting and now black mage maybe this is a sign you no longer like the game and should quit

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I made the spreadsheets instead of using math. The shorter rotation will always be better for the shorter duration enochian.

A F4x2 F1 F4x2 rotation is always possible on every Enochian timer that is 20 seconds or above. You only need 15 seconds to complete that rotation, which even gives time for a proc on a 20 second Enochian if you B3 immediately after B4. There is no numerical or mobility-related reason to deprive yourself of additional Fires (of any level) by ending your Fire phase early.

You cannot move your goalposts when your rotation is proven mathematically inferior and claim "well, at least it's close! It's only a newbie rotation, I swear!" and then switch back to saying that it actually is more damage after all. Please stop confusing new BLMs.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 11, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I like to have fun playing video games instead of doing angry math at people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Cohort posted:

A F4x2 F1 F4x2 rotation is always possible on every Enochian timer that is 20 seconds or above. You only need 15 seconds to complete that rotation, which even gives time for a proc on a 20 second Enochian if you B3 immediately after B4. There is no numerical or mobility-related reason to deprive yourself of additional Fires (of any level) by ending your Fire phase early.

Its only like a 5 potency difference and you can keep thunder up. I figure people would prefer the path of least resistance that's why I have been posting about it.

I agree with you that it is really skill speed dependent also, when I switched from 180 check to 190 rf alex chest I lost some skill speed. The change went from being having plenty of time to having very little time but it still works.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 11, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Doublestep posted:

Seorin you've bitched about how Yoshi ruined crafting and now black mage maybe this is a sign you no longer like the game and should quit

Yoshi is a cool dude and I like him.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

seorin posted:

Yoshi is a cool dude and I like him.

Yoshi-President

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Holy poo poo I was not prepared for that snowman quest

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

King Cohort posted:

You cannot move your goalposts when your rotation is proven mathematically inferior and claim "well, at least it's close! It's only a newbie rotation, I swear!" and then switch back to saying that it actually is more damage after all. Please stop confusing new BLMs.

So don't use it, you Nazi. 5 potency, golly gosh notify the masses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Ask about Fracture next

Cross class fracture on DRK. Yes/no

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh cool, this thread really needed :godwin:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

As a BLM that just came back from a three week break I really needed that discussion to remember what the gently caress I was doing.

The 2.0 rotation is still burned into my muscle memory though.

Edit: any other good stuff happen? I saw Fate XP was buffed, front lines is back, estorics are available... anything else of note?

itskage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 11, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

itskage posted:

As a BLM that just came back from a three week break I really needed that discussion to remember what the gently caress I was doing.

The 2.0 rotation is still burned into my muscle memory though.

Take off the blm gem, use fracture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RC Cola posted:

When is patch 1.1 supposed to be?
Sometime in late 2010/early 2011, probably.

• Locked thread