Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Is that where they do dumb stuff like having the whole team wear the sweater vest like they're Bradman at the start of play to strike fear into the heart of opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I've never heard the term "baggy green culture" in my life, but to me it only has negative connotations

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Drugs posted:

I've never heard the term "baggy green culture" in my life, but to me it only has negative connotations

I've never heard that exact phrase, but Steve Waugh in particular was pretty well-known for being "devoted" or whatever to the baggy green. His idea was basically make his team respect what the hat represents (playing for Australia) and treating it like a privilege, not a right. Understand that you're part of a cricketing tradition that goes back through Border, Chappell, Simpson, Harvey, Benaud, Bradman and even further back.

Mock it all you like, but I can see how that sort of thing is pretty appealing to a sporting team. And if there was anyone who was going to have a "pfft, yeah whatever GRANDAD" attitude towards that culture and tradition, it was always going to be Clarke.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Steve Waugh was a serial cheat. Is cheating part of what it means to wear the baggy green?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Drugs posted:

Steve Waugh was a serial cheat. Is cheating part of what it means to wear the baggy green?

He's an Australian who played sport right?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

To me, if anything, the "baggy green culture" of recent years would be one of sustained excellence, punctuated by gracelessness in victory, petulance in defeat, and arrogance in all situations.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
This last test needs to be something special. This is such a poo poo series and I don't mean the result - 2005 was amazing as I'm sure we all agree, and recent series have been one-sided in both directions but at least they provided some good cricket to watch.

I would trade Australia not winning a series in the next twenty years for tests that go into the fifth day. Northern Ashes are my highlight of the cricket calendar, now we have four (or five?) years until the next. That's my disappointment, not the result but that we've had a dozen-odd days of play. I don't care who wins the final test, I just want to see some ups and downs, some compelling sessions*, some life!

* OK, the first session of the previous test was compelling, but at the expense of the rest of the match.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Drugs posted:

Is this a trick question

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

gabensraum posted:

This last test needs to be something special. This is such a poo poo series and I don't mean the result - 2005 was amazing as I'm sure we all agree, and recent series have been one-sided in both directions but at least they provided some good cricket to watch.

I would trade Australia not winning a series in the next twenty years for tests that go into the fifth day. Northern Ashes are my highlight of the cricket calendar, now we have four (or five?) years until the next. That's my disappointment, not the result but that we've had a dozen-odd days of play. I don't care who wins the final test, I just want to see some ups and downs, some compelling sessions*, some life!

* OK, the first session of the previous test was compelling, but at the expense of the rest of the match.

Short tests are great, it's just that these ones have been one sided rather than both sides struggling with the conditions. I think a one sided test that lasts 5 days would be just as bad to watch.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Warne hated the baggy green culture that Waugh was going for. It's no surprise that Clarke wasn't keen on it either.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apropos of nothing, a mate of mine bumped in Shane Warne at dinner the other night and apparently Warnie was wearing a vest with shanewarne.com advertising plastered on it :laugh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Warne hated the baggy green culture that Waugh was going for. It's no surprise that Clarke wasn't keen on it either.

Did he? I thought Warne would have been all over it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

gay picnic defence posted:

Short tests are great, it's just that these ones have been one sided rather than both sides struggling with the conditions. I think a one sided test that lasts 5 days would be just as bad to watch.

I see your point and I'm probably overstating the play time factor. Five-day tests might be one-sided, but if they go the distance (without weather interruptions) it means a player or two in the losing team has managed a big century against the grain, giving everyone something worth watching. That's the kind of thing that has been lacking.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Did he? I thought Warne would have been all over it.

He was not keen on the tradition, he was really not keen on being forced to wear the baggy green. Warne is about Warne pretty much.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

gabensraum posted:

I see your point and I'm probably overstating the play time factor. Five-day tests might be one-sided, but if they go the distance (without weather interruptions) it means a player or two in the losing team has managed a big century against the grain, giving everyone something worth watching. That's the kind of thing that has been lacking.

Maybe, but more often it means that one team scores 600 in the first innings and 200 in the second to give themselves a 500+ buffer and four or five sessions to bowl out the opposition.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drugs posted:

cheating is part of what it means to play cricket.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He was not keen on the tradition, he was really not keen on being forced to wear the baggy green. Warne is about Warne pretty much.

Ian Chappell doesn't really care about it either. He called it a $5 piece of cloth and he's claimed he doesn't even own one.

Chappeli is the best.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Drugs posted:

Uhhh..... the only cricketers who arent cheaters or a oval office is Steve Smith and OUR DAN.

quote:

I've never heard that exact phrase, but Steve Waugh in particular was pretty well-known for being "devoted" or whatever to the baggy green. His idea was basically make his team respect what the hat represents (playing for Australia) and treating it like a privilege, not a right. Understand that you're part of a cricketing tradition that goes back through Border, Chappell, Simpson, Harvey, Benaud, Bradman and even further back.

That's exactly what it was about. Plus also to understand they are a team and what to play in a team means. I doubt it's a mere co-incidence the best team from Australia happened under Waugh's reign - there's always reports of Waugh backing the hell out of everyone and managing to get the best out of them consistently. Qualities Ponting and especially Clarke didnt have.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ponting wasn't too bad.

You can see how little Australian test team traditions meant to Clarke that time he wanted the team song hurried up so he could go and root Bingle on Packer's yacht or something. In Waugh's day the team song was sacred and being the guy who lead it was the highest honor after captaining the side itself.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uhhh..... the only cricketers who arent cheaters or a oval office is Steve Smith and OUR DAN.

"India has never ever produced a cheater or a oval office, and anyone who states otherwise in a public forum will be liable for their own words in a court of law" - BCCI

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/aug/10/three-possible-australia-line-ups-to-take-the-field-in-the-first-test-in-bangladesh

The experimental XI

1.Usman Khawaja, 2. Cameron Bancroft, 3. David Warner, 4. Steve Smith (captain), 5. Joe Burns, 6. Glenn Maxwell, 7. Peter Nevill, 8. Gurinder Sandhu, 9. Mitchell Starc, 10. Fawad Ahmed, 11. Nathan Lyon. 12th man: Peter Handscomb

Who the hell is Gurinder Sandhu??

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Negligent posted:

A fast-ish bowler of Indian descent. I think he plays for NSW, so he's a shoe-in for a spot at some stage.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
He had a good T20 season which says very little but apparently his first class form is good.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Schlesische posted:

A fast-ish bowler of Indian descent. I think he plays for NSW, so he's a shoe-in for a spot at some stage.

He made his ODI debut against England earlier this year.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

How is he in front of Pattinson, Bird, Cummins and whoever else we have waiting in the wings to dish out broken fucken arms mate?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

If the bloke has put Sandhu at 8 in front of Starc then I dont think he has watched much of Sandhu

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Sandhu is the quick who's bowling offies on the A tour. Also that XI is an absolute 'wildest dreams' scenario. He even says that you could never pick them all in the same team.

EDIT: 'that bloke' is Russ Jackson and he's our second best cricket writer after Gideon

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Sandhu is the quick who's bowling offies on the A tour. Also that XI is an absolute 'wildest dreams' scenario. He even says that you could never pick them all in the same team.

EDIT: 'that bloke' is Russ Jackson and he's our second best cricket writer after Gideon

I didn't read the article and I like Jackson but that is a v bad team.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why is there only two fast bowlers in that team. On an Australian pitch sandu and Starc would be bowled into an early grave

Edit

Oh I clicked the article and its for Bangladesh. Playing two spinners there might be OK but I still feel like its a bowler short.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The conservative XI is way more fun because it has Watson who, now, owns.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
What if Watson was the flower who couldn't get any sunlight under Clarke and will now blossom into the most swole rose ever?

Watto...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uhhh..... the only cricketers who arent cheaters or a oval office is Steve Smith and OUR DAN

Lyth never got a chance to cheat

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Little Joe Root is far too innocent to cheat.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

In Waugh's day the team song was sacred and being the guy who lead it was the highest honor after captaining the side itself.

counterpoint: this is extremely lame and weird

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RideTheSpiral posted:

counterpoint: this is extremely lame and weird

On the face of it yeah but if you were being cynical you'd say it - and other similar things - are a good way to keep people focused in the same way that having someone fighting you for your place does. It's just another little thing to make people go "Hey maybe I should actually give a poo poo"

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

On the face of it yeah but if you were being cynical you'd say it - and other similar things - are a good way to keep people focused in the same way that having someone fighting you for your place does. It's just another little thing to make people go "Hey maybe I should actually give a poo poo"

Nah mate wrap it up I need to go bone Lara Bingle on Packer's yacht *gets choked out by Katich*

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Team songs are a bit naff

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Drugs posted:

I didn't read the article and I like Jackson but that is a v bad team.

Maybe you should have read it:

quote:

You couldn’t pick every one of these players in the one Test team, of course, but the side above contains a host of players who represent either a solid investment for the future or ‘horses for courses’ picks in spin-friendly conditions.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shmoses posted:

Sandhu is the quick who's bowling offies on the A tour.

Seriously?

quote:

Fairly promising young fast-medium who can wobble the ball around off the wicket. The kind of bowler who would get bucket loads of wickets in England with seam movement, but not fast enough to get a test cap with the current Aussie selectors - example of Trent Copeland who is barely more than medium pace but is pretty drat good, he will never get selected again simply because he is not fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Maybe you should have read it:

I didn't get where I am today by reading things before forming an opinion on them.