Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah I'm going in knowing there's a bajillion sidequests so I'm just doing the ones that either:
1) sound interesting
2) seem short/not a pain in the rear end
3) just involve killing dudes on the way from point A to point B

It's a godsend that almost every quest auto turns itself in as soon as you complete it. There's a lot of little QOL things like that I like in this game, like that there's no magic points or anything like that, auto heal at the end of battles, can change the time of day whenever you want, quick fast travel, etc. Battle system is starting to feel a little convoluted now that I can warn people about the future. Still don't 100% understand how that works. Sometimes the game tells me to press B but I'm not sure why. I think I'm just encouraging people and telling them they're pretty.

I don't like that you can't sort items in alphabetical order. I don't know how this game made it through the entire development process without that being brought up. This is a game where you're picking up what feels like literally hundreds of items just going through a single cave, but at least you can sort them by color! :downs:

Granted that probably just bugs me because I'm looking at a guide for a list of items that I can safely sell because they're never used for a quest and it makes the process slower when I can't sort them by name. I ain't got time to hoard absolutely everything wondering if they'll ever get used.

The sidequests that autocomplete are the mostly inconsequential ones that don't really add much of anything. The sidequests that are given by named NPCs are the ones that'll really add to area affinity, which is important for getting more sidequests and unlocking things like more skill trees. Pressing B is contextual, sometimes you or an ally's missed an attack so someone's going to cheer them up. Other times, someone's done a critical hit and are getting praised by it. Some Talent Arts also have B prompts for extra effects, but those are self explanatory. I think the general idea with items you can keep and items you can sell is that you can sell the ones that have a small deflated bag icon that don't have like a shine or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Anybody ever tried one of those super bar sensors for the Wii U? I don't want to get ripped off, but if it's legit it would work better in my massive bedroom.

I would also be interested to hear if anyone has experience with these.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have heard they are bad. Worse than the normal sensor bar.

I was thinking of getting one and did a little research and decided against.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

majormonotone posted:

Your main options are really Mario Kart, Smash, Nintendo Land, and Mario Party 10. Also while the Mario games are technically co-op, they're the "dick over your friends" variety - SM3DW even tracks score at the end of every level and gives a crown to whoever comes in first (and you can steal it)

There's also Wii Party U, which is good and maybe the better choice for people that go into a frothing rage over the idea of the car thing in Mario Party and don't want to play the Amiibo mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

There's also Wii Party U, which is good and maybe the better choice for people that go into a frothing rage over the idea of the car thing in Mario Party and don't want to play the Amiibo mode.

Seconding this. It's also better for playing with non-gamer friends and the virtual table top games own.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I tried playing Wii Party U with some normies. We had a good laugh over that weird water pouring game, then we went swimming instead

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm replaying Chrono Trigger on the Wii VC right now, and I think its managed to lull me into just the right state of JRPG nostalgia that I may try another stab at Xenoblade Chronicles.

I own Xenoblade Chronicles, on disc no less, but I think I only got 20 hours in?

I'll take another stab after this Chrono run, which I might add feels thoroughly refreshingly new considering I must have NewGame+-ed a million times on cartridge (all characters had mostly ** stats from grinding tabs and I know everyone had a gold-pin so that's AT LEAST 7 playthroughs...).

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man Xenoblade is pretty awesome. It's super JRPG, but a lot of the problems I have with the genre are fixed. The story is actually interesting so far (just killed Copper Face in sector 6 ) and while it has a lot of poo poo going on gameplay-wise I don't really feel oversaturated by it. Also, love the Shulk-Reyn bromance, the B prompts to cheer on one another in the middle of a fight are pretty cool. Also also: gently caress is the british VA great. Makes the game.

I just got Dunban as a new party member, but honestly I can't really justify changing him for either Reyn or Sharla. Those two + shulk make the perfect tank/healer/dps team and Shulk just has too much utility to replace.

Unrelated to all this: anyone know how can I clean blood from a WiiU gamepad? I used a moist towel to clean the screen and that's fine, but there's some dried blood on the screen borders and I can't get it off.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Man Xenoblade is pretty awesome. It's super JRPG, but a lot of the problems I have with the genre are fixed. The story is actually interesting so far (just killed Copper Face in sector 6 ) and while it has a lot of poo poo going on gameplay-wise I don't really feel oversaturated by it. Also, love the Shulk-Reyn bromance, the B prompts to cheer on one another in the middle of a fight are pretty cool. Also also: gently caress is the british VA great. Makes the game.

I just got Dunban as a new party member, but honestly I can't really justify changing him for either Reyn or Sharla. Those two + shulk make the perfect tank/healer/dps team and Shulk just has too much utility to replace.

Unrelated to all this: anyone know how can I clean blood from a WiiU gamepad? I used a moist towel to clean the screen and that's fine, but there's some dried blood on the screen borders and I can't get it off.

Don't be afraid to mix up your party, you'll really regret it. Even though Tank+Healer+DPS "feels" natural, a lot of times it ends up being bad. Shulk+Reyn+The Character You Just Got is actually a very, very good combo, especially when you're just dicking around the area you're heading to and doing quests. There are a lot of good party combos, and very few of them are unusable (though the AI can be kind of bad at Sharla and another caster you'll get). Xenoblade really isn't built around having a primary healer in your party and Sharla suffers for it. Except for a couple of end-game sidequest superboss fights here and there, the fights tend to play out a lot better (both in terms of ease and going more quickly) if you stick with a damage or general utility character that happens to heal than you will with Sharla.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 10, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hugoon Chavez posted:

What are you, a living anime character?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Q-tip and hydrogen peroxide

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jsor posted:

Don't be afraid to mix up your party, you'll really regret it. Even though Tank+Healer+DPS "feels" natural, a lot of times it ends up being bad. Shulk+Reyn+The Character You Just Got is actually a very, very good combo, especially when you're just dicking around the area you're heading to and doing quests. There are a lot of good party combos, and very few of them are unusable (though the AI can be kind of bad at Sharla and another caster you'll get). Xenoblade really isn't built around having a primary healer in your party and Sharla suffers for it. Except for a couple of end-game sidequest superboss fights here and there, the fights tend to play out a lot better (both in terms of ease and going more quickly) if you stick with a damage or general utility character that happens to heal than you will with Sharla.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then since this new dude is Anime Super Rad. The Ai is certainly pretty bad, and I saw a huge improvement in non mechon fights when I started controlling Reyn and actually keeping aggro. Too bad my only Topple chain link combo needs to start with Shulk.

noirstronaut posted:

Q-tip and hydrogen peroxide

Alright, I knew peroxide breaks it down but I was a bit afraid it would hurt my gamepad :v:

Rexroom posted:

What are you, a living anime character?

:nyoron:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If you use skill links to give everyone Shulk's skill that heals after a chain attack, and Reyn's skill that heals when encouraging someone, that gives you enough healing for most of the early game. Later you'll get a character with a nice group heal who also contributes to damage much more than Sharla can. Also Dunban is a dodge tank so he often won't need healing much anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No, seriously, there's a story behind how you'd drench a gaming controller with blood and I must know the how/why. Don't leave us hanging.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it was mountain dew code red, which all real gamers bleed.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Saoshyant posted:

No, seriously, there's a story behind how you'd drench a gaming controller with blood and I must know the how/why. Don't leave us hanging.

Well, a couple of friends and I decided to play a 1v1 Smash tournament at my place. We got high and drunk and played several improvised tournaments for like 5 hours. Now, Pablo is a pretty bad player and a really sore loser, so after half the night was gone the guy was completely red and yelling every time he missed a grab or someone did an air dodge.

When he lost the last game he got up furious and started ranting about air dodge being a total poo poo move, how it should have no place in any game, and that air dodging was impossible to do anyway. We told him that, well, whatever I’m playing a pink ball that eats plumbers and shoot stars, what’s an air dodge got that’s so odd? he would not budge so one of us decided to show him how air dodging was totally a thing.

So for ten minutes we threw stuff at him while he jumped from the sofa to the floor trying to dodge the things. To his credit he did manage to avoid a few of them. This just made Pablo angrier and he started bashing anything he could think about the game, including calling Zelda a second rate Peach.

That got Manu super angry because, you see, Zelda is his waifu IRL so then they started hitting each other. Pablo grabbed two nunchucks and started twisting them around like some kind of fat nerdy Bruce Lee in a remake of The Wizard. Manu used the Gamepad as a shield and the rest of us kept throwing poo poo at them yelling for them to jump and dodge. I grabbed some paint that I had laying around after I painted my sex dungeon blue and pretended I was a squid.

Then, after the fight was over and everyone went home, I was putting things away and my nose started bleeding, some drops falling on top of the gamepad.

I might have flourished the story a little bit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did you start pretending you were a squid, or did you stop pretending you were a kid?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My Vita screen has at least 8 layers of dried blood on it but the OLED is so good I don't need to clean it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

Well it was mountain dew code red, which all real gamers bleed.

Not Game Fuel?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

My Vita screen has at least 8 layers of dried blood on it but the OLED is so good I don't need to clean it

It's an OLED anyway - The blood just feeds it and keeps its colours bright and crisp. :pseudo:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil's Third update:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Devil's Third update:

:rimshot:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Buy splatoon, forget other games exist because they are not fresh enough any more

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Forget "Is your girlfriend a horse?" More like "Is your girlfriend a squid?"

If she's a kid... then it's off to prison with you!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MaxDuo posted:

Forget "Is your girlfriend a horse?" More like "Is your girlfriend a squid?"

If she's a kid... then it's off to prison with you!

not yet.

not. yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Wii U exclusive announced for Japan: Just Dance: Yokai Watch Edition! http://jin115.com/archives/52093192.html

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i finally bought mario kart

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Congrats on having meaning in your life now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it wont be here till wed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

New Wii U exclusive announced for Japan: Just Dance: Yokai Watch Edition! http://jin115.com/archives/52093192.html
That's almost as hosed up as the Korean version of the Yokai Watch dance I found the other day.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

Awesome! posted:

it wont be here till wed.

Well your life remains dim.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

My copy of MK8 is supposed to arrive tomorrow so my life is just slightly better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breadallelogram posted:

My copy of MK8 is supposed to arrive tomorrow so my life is just slightly better.

Your life can be vastly improved with Splatoon. Or at least both of MK8's DLC packs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i bought splatoon day 1. im not a monster

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I still haven't bought Splatoon or Captain Toad. I'm a monster.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ill keep you in my prayers the truth

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I bought a New 3DS at launch and get my Nintedo fix from that.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

the truth posted:

I bought a New 3DS at launch and get my Nintedo fix from that.

But did you buy Xenoblade Chronicles 3D?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i still need to buy splatoon and captain toad: treasure tracker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You don't need to buy Captain Toad.

• Locked thread