Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Don't change the subject man, we're only here to help. Did someone hurt you in the past? Did they resemble Todd Howard? The healing can start as soon as you want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

His argument seems pretty reasonable if not a little over dramatic.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yeah even a goon like this guy can express a more coherent argument than 'games journalists' colour me surprised

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

7c Nickel posted:

Don't change the subject man, we're only here to help. Did someone hurt you in the past? Did they resemble Todd Howard? The healing can start as soon as you want it to.

No, you're not defensive :rolleyes:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Leave Britney alone.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rutibex posted:

It's not like we see any Ghouls with missing limbs in other Fallout games.

Maybe if you're on a console :v:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

big mean giraffe posted:

None as they've clearly demonstrated and mentioned in interviews.

haha they specifically talked about the color filter (or lack of one) in an interview?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

JawKnee posted:

haha they specifically talked about the color filter (or lack of one) in an interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyBdOw8tW4

Jump to 2:54.

The color correction is tied into the new weather system.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"Get off your high horse if you think a presentation should say thank you for watching once it ends.:rolleyes:"

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No, you're not defensive :rolleyes:

well at least they aren't literally making poo poo up to complain about.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's literally no evidence of Bethesda ever reusing anything actually. Obsidian? Now those guys are hacks.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really care much if they decide to reuse assets, even if one could argue it is lazy, one could also argue it looked fine and didn't need revamping, like the lockpicking stuff.

I just hope to loving god it doesn't mean we're getting the same loving hacking minigame again, because that is a minigame designed to waste my loving time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mordaedil posted:

I just hope to loving god it doesn't mean we're getting the same loving hacking minigame again, because that is a minigame designed to waste my loving time.

There was hacking in that leaked video and it's the same minigame again :v:

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
It's not much but it's more than we had, I'm still excited.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

You know who reuses assets? Family Circus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

There was hacking in that leaked video and it's the same minigame again :v:

Oh for gently caress's sake. :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JawKnee posted:

Ray Lederer has cited the movie Crash as a source of inspiration for Bethesda color filters.

quote:

"DC is a cold, lifeless blue; it makes Michael Douglas look like a ghoul because perhaps Michael Douglas is a ghoul (though the film never outright says this), and when Topher Grace confronts the Mandingo who is having sex with his girlfriend, we see that the filter has turned the Mandingo this deep, cosmic purple like some sort of Eldritch nightmare...but without the need for CGI. He flings the door open and bears himself before [Topher], a nude figure so dark that he is little more than a shadow--a silhouette of spilled ink--standing in the doorway. Conversely, in every scene with Benicio Del Toro, he's constantly squinting in the sunlight. Why's he staring into the sun? Well, if you look closely--he's not. It's just that Mexico is rendered to us through a filter so yellow that it turns the sky green; everything's the color of spun gold and rust. When I saw it in theaters, I became incredibly hot and thirsty--and that's when I discovered that colors can make us feel things. So instead of having to carefully balance color palettes and temperatures for a variety of monitors, televisions, and lighting conditions, we can immerse a game in a single thematic color and be done with it."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I don't really care much if they decide to reuse assets, even if one could argue it is lazy, one could also argue it looked fine and didn't need revamping, like the lockpicking stuff.

I'm OK with them reusing textures and whatnot, but I don't want to see caves or buildings with identical layouts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FauxGateau posted:

There's literally no evidence of Bethesda ever reusing anything actually. Obsidian? Now those guys are hacks.

I saw lots of reused stuff in Fallout 3 from Oblivion.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

OH GOD, A fallout game looks like fallout?!

WHY ARE YOU REMAKING THE SAME GAME BETHESDA, GOD!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's completely acceptable to think this game looks too similar to Fallout 3 (I'd disagree though) but saying they are re-using assets is just obviously untrue. Time to get your eyes checked if you can't tell the difference.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fallout 2 reused more assets from Fallout 1 than 4 will from 3.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

Fallout 2 reused more assets from Fallout 1 than 4 will from 3.

It was all worth it for right click-get the gently caress out of my way NPC. GOTY feature right there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

OH GOD, A fallout game looks like fallout?!

WHY ARE YOU REMAKING THE SAME GAME BETHESDA, GOD!

Please calm down a bit, jesus christ.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Please calm down a bit, jesus christ.

But I don't get what you guys are loving about this game!

I mean it's first person and Fallout, why don't you guys play Borderlands instead?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Can you mod boobs onto molerats in Borderlands?

Well then. :colbert:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TontoCorazon posted:

His argument seems pretty reasonable if not a little over dramatic.

His argument seems to be you literally aren't allowed to criticize fallout 4 he even opens with a complete dismissal of any graphic complaints because "It's not supposed to be Crysis!"

I'd also just like to point out that he responds to criticism over what they've shown by showcasing videos of the opening light blinding scene which has been in the other two 3D fallouts, and a video showing some 10mm pistols, laser pistols and what I can only assume is a return of the rock-it-launcher before loudly saying "What loving gameplay were you watching!" What I'm saying is that this video is basically just a nerd telling internet bullies to leave bethesda alone! :byodame:

Anyway I'm really bummed about that hacking game. Because bethesda minigames are kind of miserable since they stopped letting you just spam the auto-unlock like in oblivion.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

Anyway I'm really bummed about that hacking game. Because bethesda minigames are kind of miserable since they stopped letting you just spam the auto-unlock like in oblivion.

Lockpicking is easy at least. And I'm just happy the hacking mini game makes sense, even as ho hum as it is.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope that they incorporated the thing where a high hacking skill gets rid of duds immediately.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ray Lederer has cited the movie Crash as a source of inspiration for Bethesda color filters.

This is pretty funny, but not as funny as you having confused Crash with Traffic.

Rutibex posted:

I was pretty pissed off with all the cave trolls in FO3.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Lockpicking is easy at least. And I'm just happy the hacking mini game makes sense, even as ho hum as it is.

Anything is fine as long as we never see the Oblivion lockpicking ever again. It got easier with time, levels, and IRL experience, but I never liked its random elements.

I was overjoyed when I found the bracket-matching thing that refills attempts and removes duds; I didn't even know about it for my first whole playthrough.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I liked the lockpicking in FO3 almost as much as I liked the Explosive Entry mod.

Got a door or safe you want open? Slap a grenade to the handle!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

that never worked right for me. I tried opening an average locked door with grenades and 100 explosives skill once and after 3 it was still locked. when I finally came back and picked it, all the loot was blown into corners and crevices where I couldn't reach them. would not reccomend imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Man Whore posted:

that never worked right for me. I tried opening an average locked door with grenades and 100 explosives skill once and after 3 it was still locked. when I finally came back and picked it, all the loot was blown into corners and crevices where I couldn't reach them. would not reccomend imo

Happened to me irl once. Would NOT recommend this either.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I saw lots of reused stuff in New Vegas from Fallout 3.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

JackBadass posted:

I saw lots of reused stuff in New Vegas from Fallout 3.

NV uses 3 assets, 3 uses oblivion assets...
turns out oblivion was essentially a standalone mod of Pong.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

sout posted:

NV uses 3 assets, 3 uses oblivion assets...
turns out oblivion was essentially a standalone mod of Pong.

Buggiest Pong mod ever.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I can't tell you how pissed I was when Empire came out and the cheap fuckers reused that POS Falcon. I mean, come on! New movie, new ship, right?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I'm actually curious, what was reused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

I was pretty pissed off with all the cave trolls in FO3.

Yeah, me too. Especially the way they would carry around and fire small arms weapons with those big, stubby hands, instead of properly only sticking to Melee and Big Guns weapons like they did in Fallouts 1 and 2...

• Locked thread