Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bholder posted:

There's nothing more fun than having a 90% rapid fire shots missing both times.

How about having an Assault run-and-gun next to a Muton and then forgetting that he didn't have rapid fire yet?

Luckily the sniper got him, but that meant the flanking Floater got him for seven damage. Glenn Friendly spends a lot of time in the hospital, his first mission after turning off an EXALT node next to two guys with grenades. The man won't die, I'll give him that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I've never had an 'in the zone' scout before, this is fantastic. :magical:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Alkydere posted:

You can't use it every time, all the time, but you get like a free +30% crit when attacking while cloaked. And it basically breaks the AI. Good for scouting too since pods don't activate if I remember correctly. Basically it's giving you free activations of the stealth armor...potentially far before you unlock the stealth armor.

In addition to this, remember that 'no enemies can see you' is actually pretty easy to achieve and is the entire idea behind overwatch traps. So you fall back a little bit and then become literally invincible because none of the enemy AI is equipped to handle cloaked XCOM soldiers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you have holo-targeting and the gene mod that gives +10 aim after a miss on a Gunner, will both of those effects apply to the second shot of Rapid Fire?

I mean, it should. But XCOM and Long War are weird like that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Pohl posted:

I've never had an 'in the zone' scout before, this is fantastic. :magical:

Yeah, they're pretty amazing. Plus, they can equip both shotguns and marksman rifles so have high damage potential for their weapons tier. Mine also have Ranger and Vital Point Targeting. Really helpful to be able to multikill that early in the campaign.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Grognan posted:

With Long War, has anyone else noticed that stuns don't work if they have one health left? The only captures I've been getting are 3 health and above.

Edit: I mean it could just be the RNG god but it's terribly uncanny.

RNG. I've captured a Thin Man, a Floater, and got an EXALT goon to suicide himself, all at 1 HP within the last week or so real-time.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
98 percent? That seems safe enough...

http://www.gfycat.com/CrispSinfulDiplodocus

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
This guy's going in for psi training ASAP

http://www.gfycat.com/MenacingFearlessChimneyswift

Something to cleanse the palate after getting hosed by >90% misses.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Getting ready for EXALT base assault. Oh, it's December 30. I'll wait the extra 8 hours and attack on New Year's Eve.

[EXALT SABOTAGES RESEARCH]

Assholes.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Merry christmas, XCOM.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm pretty sure I've raided the EXALT base on Christmas Day every time I've gotten to that point in a Long War campaign.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

dyzzy posted:

This guy's going in for psi training ASAP

http://www.gfycat.com/MenacingFearlessChimneyswift

Something to cleanse the palate after getting hosed by >90% misses.

Man I'm glad I've never actually seen the fabled Berserker Futball team pod

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there a reason my guys always exclaim that the enemy is retreating, when the enemy is in fact shooting?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Decrepus posted:

Is there a reason my guys always exclaim that the enemy is retreating, when the enemy is in fact shooting?

Pretty sure that gets cued up when they get a morale check.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Were I one of the Long War designers, I would take a look at the potential abilities of the Goliath - HEAT Ammo, Damage Control, and Collateral Damage - judge them all to be very useful by reading threads on previous builds recommending them all be taken, and make it so you can only pick one.

It's a mostly defense/tank build - Steadfast, Automated Threat Assessment, Repair Servos, Shock-Absorbent Armor. I'm tempted to take something like HEAT or Collateral to give a little bit back. Thoughts?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If I want to uninstall Long War and return to the simplicity of Vanilla XCOM is it enough to verify the game cache or do I need to manually hunt down and purge any folders?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Litany Unheard posted:

If I want to uninstall Long War and return to the simplicity of Vanilla XCOM is it enough to verify the game cache or do I need to manually hunt down and purge any folders?

You should just be able to verify the game cache I believe.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Today, I learned that Tasoth have MC. In April. On a cruise ship.

Just shoot me now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Keiya posted:

Just shoot me now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

monster on a stick posted:

Were I one of the Long War designers, I would take a look at the potential abilities of the Goliath - HEAT Ammo, Damage Control, and Collateral Damage - judge them all to be very useful by reading threads on previous builds recommending them all be taken, and make it so you can only pick one.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH RIGHT loving NOW

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Approved

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Keiya posted:

Just shoot me now.

You don't fear death... You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe.

Torture. Not of the body. Of the soul.

So, the cruise ship seems about right, yeah.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I did the base assault early in the month of June instead of waiting for more weapons/foundry upgrades because I had everyone rested and wanted to knock it out now before I started doing gene mods.

Global panic levels were nearly zeroed afterwards, and that's when I get the one-time council mission with global panic reduction. :v:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

:captainpop: :vince:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LonsomeSon posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH RIGHT loving NOW

I guess you don't want to hear about my idea to give all drones Covering Fire since they aren't threatening enough.

I feel so behind in my game. It's October, I finally have some Carapace armor, and just finished xenopsionics or whatever it's called so I can finally build a psionics lab which I can't afford because most of my monthly budget has already been blown. I have one MEC suit that is getting shared among two soldiers, have about four lasers to go around my aircraft but finally got the additional HP project done at least, basic gauss but no sniper/shotgun yet. I nearly went into a fatigue spiral after I had two landed UFOs and an EXALT mission back-to-back, ended up using the Commander's Perk mod to give a newly minted Scout Concealment so I could have eyes on an urban LZ since all the other concealment scouts were fatigued. I haven't even researched Elerium yet. I'm so desperate to build more satellites that I sold ten drone corpses for two engineers.

Maybe the one good piece of news is that meld has steadily decreased and I guess this means the aliens are starting to run low on resources. Hardly feels like winning though :sigh:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zoran posted:

I'm pretty sure I've raided the EXALT base on Christmas Day every time I've gotten to that point in a Long War campaign.

Ditto! Either Christmas Day or Boxing Day in my two campaigns. Funny how the pacing works.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No gifs, but earlier today with a last shot of the round - a 98% - I missed, shot down a wall and revealed a sectopod and some elite mutons, who proceeded to Code Black the out of position, flanked team in one round.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Having an exalt land literally on top of your operative sure makes for an entertaining situation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's a valid tactic, and actually costs you much less points than ignoring it or losing half your squad in an unsuccessful attempt.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Torrannor posted:

It's a valid tactic, and actually costs you much less points than ignoring it or losing half your squad in an unsuccessful attempt.

If you actually attempt a cruise ship terror mission, chances are that you stop playing TFTD before it finishes.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

And then he went and recorded an actual attempt. On Superhuman iirc. Truly the most masochistic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Op fodder once I get back to my computer holy poo poo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Brainamp posted:

And then he went and recorded an actual attempt. On Superhuman iirc. Truly the most masochistic.

Guava's not the only one :negative:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Iron Rose, your mod makes Exalt into fantastic glass cannons right? Because its fun as balls.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Iron Rose, your mod makes Exalt into fantastic glass cannons right? Because its fun as balls.

It looks that way, they pack a punch but don't have ludicrous health. I bring rocketeers solely to blow up clustered Exalt. :allears:

Though most of the time if it's the "hit two nodes" mission, I just hustle back to the LZ and extract. Last time I got the military base map, gently caress that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hey Iron Rose, I made this request on the Van Doorn in March reddit page, but I don't think hawkeye is very active, so I was hoping you could take a look at it too:

I'd like to extend that mod to allow you to force particular council missions in two months rather than just one, so that (for instance) you could force Van Doorn to appear in March and then have Carlock show up in April. Right now you can get that effect by applying the mod at the start, playing through March, and then changing the month and mission number and re-applying the mod to force a different mission in April. But that's a bit kludgy and it's easy to forget. Would it be feasible to add this functionality? I don't have the technical know-how to attempt it myself.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zoran posted:

Hey Iron Rose, I made this request on the Van Doorn in March reddit page, but I don't think hawkeye is very active, so I was hoping you could take a look at it too:

I'd like to extend that mod to allow you to force particular council missions in two months rather than just one, so that (for instance) you could force Van Doorn to appear in March and then have Carlock show up in April. Right now you can get that effect by applying the mod at the start, playing through March, and then changing the month and mission number and re-applying the mod to force a different mission in April. But that's a bit kludgy and it's easy to forget. Would it be feasible to add this functionality? I don't have the technical know-how to attempt it myself.

I'll look at it Saturday, it's exam week now but I figure I might be able to figure something out. Haven't looked at that one before mind.

SpookyLizard posted:

I like it because it makes EXALT into meld pinatas. But yeah I cut their health in half and it made them like three times as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

!!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268500
!!

• Locked thread