Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Clans are still broken and I cannot accept new members. I opened a ticket with support but I spoke to someone else I know and they are experiencing issues as well. I will take care of it tomorrow though.

Fear not applicants, you will be surrounded by seamen tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
4/10 draws in this play session. Its utter garbage.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Hazdoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQNAY_KmA
Those were some good games, Zaius. See ya around.

I don't understand how are you getting the shells to shoot so flat? Anytime I shoot with the Atlanta it just floats space jam dunk shells

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Razzled posted:

I don't understand how are you getting the shells to shoot so flat? Anytime I shoot with the Atlanta it just floats space jam dunk shells
Its the range. Some of his shots were like 4km - every ships trajectory is is flat at 4km.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

It's amazing how many carrier players still don't understand the importance of not sitting at spawn.

Or the fact that a carrier with no planes can still cap points, be a distraction, or otherwise contribute to a team effort.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

It's amazing how many carrier players still don't understand the importance of not sitting at spawn.

Or the fact that a carrier with no planes can still cap points, be a distraction, or otherwise contribute to a team effort.

Also that sending all your squadrons to attack a Cleveland is probably a bad move.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
My favorites are the ones that flip out when someone, usually on a rapidly dying flank, suggests they start running.

I am a bit surprised that I have not gotten a chat ban yet for trolling the hell out of carriers on both teams. I was about to type "both friendly and enemy" carriers, but really they are all enemies to me.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I had a game yesterday on two brothers in my Atlanta where we saw an Atlanta and DD coming down the middle, so a Cleveland d and I just lined up at the exit with full broadsides ready and evaporated both of them in the space of two volleys at <5k range. Soooo satisfying. :boom:

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 11, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sperglord Actual posted:

My favorite is the Carrier sitting at spawn, way back from the battle, accomplishing nothing, and screaming bloody murder as a Phoenix slips past and kills him. Like, what the hell did he think was going to happen?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

"Protect my carrier you shitheads we're gonna lose!"
*actively moves as far away from his team and the objectives as possible*

I got two of my friends to try botes with me yesterday both one after the other, and the only ship I had under tier 3 is the Japanese t2 destroyer. I started out kinda hating that thing but by the end of the night I was getting at least 2 kills per match in it. Thanks to whoever it was that posted the shot destroyer tutorial vid a few days ago. Dancing just outside detection range and blasting hot loads at people is pretty great.

I don't understand if there are really people who just roll dice all game from max range when actively stalking the other team, forcing them to maneuver disadvantageously, and finally slamming a salvo into their sides is amazing fun.

Also speaking of the Phoenix, I'm guessing this is just because I only have it stock so far, but oh man that was a painful switch from the St. Louis. I don't understand how I'm supposed to play that ship.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reztes posted:

Also speaking of the Phoenix, I'm guessing this is just because I only have it stock so far, but oh man that was a painful switch from the St. Louis. I don't understand how I'm supposed to play that ship.

The St. Louis absolutely does not teach you to play the Phoenix. I had a hell of a time with it for awhile and yes, it gets way better as you upgrade it, but it's a fast light cruiser instead of a pocket battleship. The key is to serpentine at the enemy (a front-on profile will protect your weak citadel and the direction changes will help you dodge) while using your long range to attack them and firing both banks of cannons as you turn and change direction. Your armor is terrible and if you show your broadside to anyone using AP you're going to get dunked, but the thing is fast and as you upgrade it you'll get a ton of guns. The torpedoes are a weapon of opportunity only, as they require showing your side and are very short-ranged, but every now and then you'll be super glad you have them. The speed also makes it good for taking objectives, hunting down DDs, or slipping through a screen to go after a hiding Skycancer.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Stock Phoenix is really bad coming off the St. Louis then turns into a good ship fully upgraded. It is not nearly as tough as the St. Louis, but it is so much faster and maneuverable that it does not need to be. Like the St. Louis, it has guns pointing everywhere so you can just dance around dodging shots and will always have guns to shoot.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's also absolutely hilarious when people forget that you (and the Omaha) have torpedos. :getin:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

TehKeen posted:

It's also absolutely hilarious when people forget that you (and the Omaha) have torpedos. :getin:
It's never hilarious when someone forgets about cruisers with torpedoes

Because that someone is usually me fighting IJN cruisers

Though I did once have an Atago try to run down my Atlanta to torpedo me at close range... so I drove at him to unleash my own torps. :v: Though I ended up blowing him up with AP before I got my torps off heh.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Playing this game for the first time since CBT and decided to give the US BBs a spin.

St Louis is still great, and the South Carolina is awful. Wasn't really expecting that completely impotent max range, though I don't even remember what the Kawachi had when I last played that.

Probably going to go up the IJN cruisers too, I don't trust my skills enough to play a destroyer.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

The South Carolina is probably tied with the Colorado as the low point in the US BB line. Tiers 4-6 and 8-10 are all ownzone. 4-6 is slow but armored to gently caress, and 8+ is relatively fast with (from what I've heard) good, accurate guns. Then again, I have an 1,100 average xp - 7 wins out of 9 battle record on my SoCar, so I don't ~personally~ think it's that bad.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Applied with Gindack, can't wait to be surrounded by seamen.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Desuwa posted:

Probably going to go up the IJN cruisers too, I don't trust my skills enough to play a destroyer.

Start saving free experience now, you need ~50000 to enjoy the IJN cruisers. As long as you have that it's a really consistent and fun ship line.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I've got this guys, I'v-

:stonk:

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Start saving free experience now, you need ~50000 to enjoy the IJN cruisers. As long as you have that it's a really consistent and fun ship line.

I am not enjoying the Ibuki at all so far. If it had Atago's torpedo arcs and faster-firing 203s, I might like it more. As it stands, it's nothing more than a super-Myoko. Don't get me wrong -- I loved the Myoko...just not at tier 9/10.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just had my best single damage salvo. Hit an Iowa with 3 citadels from from 1 North Carolina salvo. Ended up doing something around 50,000 damage, then I just finished him off with a 4th citadel. I REALLY need to remember to enable replays. Also should point out that I was driving directly at him so only my front guns fired on him, so that was 3 citadels out of 6 shells.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 11, 2015

dodkalm
Nov 27, 2012
I applied to seamn DodKalm

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Insert name here posted:

I've got this guys, I'v-

:stonk:

gently caress the Atlantas have cloaking devices now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Polikarpov posted:

Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

Carriers will always attract really bad players. As will all classes that have a high potential but need a high skill to unlock that potential. See snipers in FPS's. And just like snipers there's a darker side to the popularity. The idea that you can somehow sit behind the battle and dominate like you're some kind of puppetmaster fucko that's worked out a loophole in this competitive game poo poo.

And then reality hits them and they keep getting sunk within the first minute of a battle.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, sure one more game before bed tonight. I'm only a few thousand xp away from the New York, might as well see if we can knock that down a bit...

:stare: that'll do, ship.

133k damage makes that by far my best game so far, first time I've seen either high caliber or dreadnaught. I was really not expecting to like battleships before I started playing, but the citadel hits are just too good :getin:
I swapped to HE at the end as I was chasing down that last enemy carrier in a desperate attempt to start a fire before he could get more torpedoes off, but then my jerk teammates capped the objective :mad:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Polikarpov posted:

I'm more impressed he resisted the urge to start firing until that close.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Avynte posted:

I'm more impressed he resisted the urge to start firing until that close.
It's probably because I wasn't spotted either; we were in "smoke" even though as you can clearly see, the smoke graphic had cleared:
Outside

Inside

Note the smoke UI overlay on the edges indicating that you're in smoke even though as you can see from the first picture it doesn't look like the smoke was there anymore. That isn't a replay bug, it was actually what happened during the match which is why I drove forward.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."

I am not interested in the names of your fathers, nor of your family's lineage. What I am interested in, is your torpedo range.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I do stupid poo poo like that all the time, I really really wish they would make your own smoke more visible.

Agcsy
Sep 19, 2013
Applied as Agcsy. Yum seamens.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Applications still broken so as soon as it is fixed I will add the new seamen.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I got both T5 DDs and this is amazing. First I get a good match in my Minekaze, nuke their wickes at a cap point and kill their nearby CV (we won before I could kill anything else).

Then crush their DDs and CV with my Nicholas.

And finally wipe the floor with the Minekaze. I could've survived that last game but I expected to be dead before my DC came off reload and it was almost over at that point anyway.

Of course, that doesn't include the horrible Nicholas game I got on ocean where I drove around for a little while, didn't hit anything, and died. But other than that T5's been great
I'm definitely getting better. I'll probably pick up an Atlanta in the near future, and definitely grab a gremy if they ever come back.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

demonR6 posted:

Clans are still broken and I cannot accept new members. I opened a ticket with support but I spoke to someone else I know and they are experiencing issues as well. I will take care of it tomorrow though.

Fear not applicants, you will be surrounded by seamen tomorrow.

Bathe us in clan glory

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not gonna join the South East Minnesota botes clan until they let me stay in PANSY for tonks as well

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah sorry seamen, I can't leave Chair alone in SGLE.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
My new best game ever XP wise.

Not that many fire started for 231 hits with HE.
Pursuing destroyers with 9 forward facing guns will never get old :flame:

I don't think I'll upgrade the turrets to 203mm.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DurosKlav posted:

I REALLY need to remember to enable replays.

Alsain's modpack man, now with carousel.

That was a really good game there Krogort.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Applied, I'm furtivedog in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

demonR6 posted:

Alsain's modpack man, now with carousel.

Fantasmo, that was the one mod from tonks I was really missing the most