Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get Ys:Moc and WipEout 2048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
isn't Ys that series that's side scrolling and you attack enemies by bumping into them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

precision posted:

isn't Ys that series that's side scrolling and you attack enemies by bumping into them

more overhead than side scrolling but yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

precision posted:

the old ones were about bumping into guys, but aside from ys1&2 all the ys games with official english translations have the more modern combat system where you actually swing your sword. only one of the games was side scrolling and that was remade into a better top down version that's probably the best starting point for the series (oath in felghana)

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLpp4-hSHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgTSd-951c

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys memories of celcetta is one of the best handheld action rpgs out there, not just the on the vita. its got darksouls style bonfire-like checkpoints and shortcut unlocking and the combat system is a clever twist on the standard character action 3 weapons with 2 button combos and specials (you jump from control of each of 3 party member that use one of the 3 weapon classes, instead of having a single character control all the weapons like in GoW or DmC)

the bosses are good the music is very good, and the anime rarely veers from what western audiences would deem palatable

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

precision posted:

I DIDN"T ASK FOR THIS

Sensei! Your persona is sealed!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCWQXxqbIbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8voSM_ZGBvI

Devil's Third: Perhaps you would like a shotgun on your sniper rifle?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cardboard Box A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCWQXxqbIbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8voSM_ZGBvI

Devil's Third: Perhaps you would like a shotgun on your sniper rifle?

Maybe if it was underslung. Gonna get this game just to see the context of that weapon.

precision posted:

i bought a vita

and persona 4 golden and, since it's on sale, dangan ronpa trigger happy or w/e it's called

my girlfriend picked out hatsune miku project diva f 2

help

Don't be scared! Let it envelope you like a warm blanket. Embrace it. Soon your transformation will be complete :unsmith: :unsmigghh:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 10, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

i bought a vita

and persona 4 golden and, since it's on sale, dangan ronpa trigger happy or w/e it's called

my girlfriend picked out hatsune miku project diva f 2

help

Your gf has better taste in games than you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
look the need for anime is completely natural but if we've reached the point where persona is no longer sufficient to satisfy our depraved urges it's time to throw in the towel

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm trying to remember P4 characters being particularly anime in the bad ways and coming up kind of empty, though it's been several years

Except Teddie of course but he gets a pass 'cos he's hot as hell~

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to remember P4 characters being particularly anime in the bad ways and coming up kind of empty, though it's been several years

Yeah it's all anime cliches, hell even transgender and gay stereotypes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

look the need for anime is completely natural but if we've reached the point where persona is no longer sufficient to satisfy our depraved urges it's time to throw in the towel

i'm considering buying Atelier Ayesha Plus bc i hear those are cute and good JRPGs

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

Rise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yep that'll do to prove my memory needs some serious work, thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rise isn't super anime, there are hundreds of actual living Japanese girls just like her

i mean, so i hear

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Rise isn't super anime, there are hundreds of actual living Japanese girls just like her

i mean, so i hear

I want to marry all of them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

No lie, but Rise's S-link and the conclusion to her story arc is actually probably the most practical and relatable of them all, despite her being an idol. She basically learns that yeah, you do have to put up a facade or adopt a character in order to be loved by people or to get through life. That doesn't make the facade a lie or a false self--it is as much a part of you as whatever you think your "real" self is. It's actually the most legitimate psychological issue that gets sorted out, at least more nuanced than "I feel stifled by this small town" (Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke) or "Gender roles don't accurately define me, I am confused by this" (Naoto, Kanji).

Persona 4 is honestly a really good game, and i don't know how its viewed in Japan, but I feel it could be seen as quite subversive as well. Persona 5 being about rebellion should be interesting to see in a culture that can be viciously fond of conformity.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
My Xbox games are missing and it happened the day that blizzard announced that World of Warcraft lost over 5 million players.

The Videogame Illuminati have been clearly touching my stuff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
maybe you're just old

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Broseph Brostar posted:

maybe you're just old

Can't be I'm not even close to 40.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

My Xbox games are missing and it happened the day that blizzard announced that World of Warcraft lost over 5 million players.

The Videogame Illuminati have been clearly touching my stuff.

I blame Microsoft

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

i'm considering buying Atelier Ayesha Plus bc i hear those are cute and good JRPGs

Yes

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So either that's a pricing error or the new world of warcraft super deluxe expansion edition is over 100 bucks.

As a collector of fine ultra huge game boxes this outrages and angers me.

Also it's literally just TBC again! They even have illidan on the box, they also stated that everything in TBC was just stdh.txt. You see you didn't kill any of those guys all those years ago they all came back to life in some form, yes lets call everything setbacks! Also they seem to be proudly announcing that you will have to grind for everything interesting mentioned in this game, it's a feature!

Blizzard just release Warcraft 4 already, stop killing the franchise with poo poo like this. Give me my orcs without all thise Vanilla Diablo 3 bullshit and fire that guy who made diablo 3 out of a cannon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If it won't let me be Maiev then I don't care.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Legion is literally the "throw everything the fans want" emergency patch for WoD dropping like a rock. Seems like a last ditch effort to change the tide.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't actually know anything about WoW after like 6 years ago. What happened to it?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c98xf8PxC4

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

I don't actually know anything about WoW after like 6 years ago. What happened to it?

There will always be a lich king because he's the only bad guy that people actually cared about.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
They keep trying to cater to the "hardcore" croud (read: people who just loving love the poo poo out of grinding), but still attempting to make it accessible to the casual crowd. It results in a mess neither of them want. Combine this with a lack of endgame content, sporadic update schedule and a completely hosed up raid difficulty curve, and you get a bunch of people fed up with/can't be bothered to give a poo poo about this video game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wot's all this then

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
WoD's veneer fell off very quickly. What was a neat idea (garrisons) quickly turned into what amounted to a facebook mini-game and the added bright idea to not somehow make it account wide means people leveled their alts and then their garrison and then you realize you're basically paying someone $15 a month to shove materials into a timegate and raid one or two instances a week/grind terrible factions. The fact that it was basically Orcs: The Revenge except poorly paced didn't help either.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I hope WoW dies a slow, painful death and I wish the same on all other MMORPGs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Really the most fun I had with Warcraft in recent memory was playing on a private server with GM commands active. Running through poo poo with friends, modifying the drops so nothing is rare, zero grinds and just steamrolling the game till we had no content left.

I spawned like 100 Time Lost Protodrakes for shits and giggles. It was basically Skyrim with friends which what the game should have evolved into instead of tiring bullcrap.

On the other hand I love the Diablo 3 changes and they've made the game way more fun. The new Horadric Cube where you can combine weapon powers is a good idea and adds a ton of fun to demon slaughtering.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I kind of don't like this trailer because it gives away too much story I think. Also i'm stupid enough to unironically enjoy the poo poo of of MGS' story so that matters to me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yo Franklin... OH GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obq6hCOyhuA

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

I kind of don't like this trailer because it gives away too much story I think. Also i'm stupid enough to unironically enjoy the poo poo of of MGS' story so that matters to me.
Does it really though? I guess we will find out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

That's because the MGS series has a great story.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Great Joe posted:

One of my most anticipated games has graphics that look like this

Innit pretty?

is there poppin synth? cuz that's literally all that matters

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wot's all this then

Assassin's Creed Unity 2 looks like it lives up to its predecessor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wot's all this then

The gently caress is this. What conspiracy did Darwin and Dickens participate in? Is this A Thing!?

• Locked thread