Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In other warham game news, I just stumbled on some footage for that upcoming Battlefleet Gothic game. Looks p. neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj71aCs3poc

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's a safe bet that to run Total Warhammer on it's highest settings on release, you're going to need top of the line hardware, overclocked to the point you have to actively bathe your computer in a kiddie pool full of liquid nitrogen to keep it from melting into slag before the tutorial is done.

In all seriousness though, the recent games have tended to push "Ultra settings are designed for hardware that isn't out yet, nobody is running this bitch at 60 fps". Even knowing that, I'm already planning to build a new rig late this year or early next. That's out of necessity, as my current one is from the stone age and held together with piecemeal upgrades, but this is definitely one of the motivating factors for upgrading on that timeline.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaodai posted:

It's a safe bet that to run Total Warhammer on it's highest settings on release, you're going to need top of the line hardware, overclocked to the point you have to actively bathe your computer in a kiddie pool full of liquid nitrogen to keep it from melting into slag before the tutorial is done.

In all seriousness though, the recent games have tended to push "Ultra settings are designed for hardware that isn't out yet, nobody is running this bitch at 60 fps". Even knowing that, I'm already planning to build a new rig late this year or early next. That's out of necessity, as my current one is from the stone age and held together with piecemeal upgrades, but this is definitely one of the motivating factors for upgrading on that timeline.

Yep. It's a sucker's bet to upgrade in anticipation of what an unreleased game will require. Really, nobody knows, and drivers/patches in the first few weeks do a LOT for performance these days.
Prices on PC components only go down over time. The sweet spot for price/performance is typically "a current gen GPU between $200-300 right now".

CPUs are way faster these days than games can fully use anyway, so a typical cost-effective PC upgrade path is to upgrade the GPU 18-24 months, putting off the CPU/motherboard refresh every 4 years or so.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

In other warham game news, I just stumbled on some footage for that upcoming Battlefleet Gothic game. Looks p. neat.

This game will have to suck beyond all reason to prevent me from buying it. And I don't even like space rts games.

A complete take my money situation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

papasyhotcakes posted:

It also seems like Gyrocopters will be the flying unit for Dwarves, which is awesome.

Dwarven flyers are basically Gyrocopters and Airships (Zeppelins). I fully expect to see both in-game, though Airships might wait a bit.

Mordja posted:

Hnng. :allears:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
After the trainwreck that was Total War Rome, I will have to fight my instinct to buy this game at launch, as CA have the worst customer service ever! If this game appears to run smoothly and the units don't break formations literally seconds after you put them into them, then I'm sold.

You know what's crazy? Not me.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Arbite posted:

That's always been a funny bit of speculation. If renegades from Xenos use Xenotech, and renegades from Malleus use Chaotic weapons, then what does a renegade from Hereticus do?

Heretek.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Manic X posted:

After the trainwreck that was Total War Rome, I will have to fight my instinct to buy this game at launch, as CA have the worst customer service ever! If this game appears to run smoothly and the units don't break formations literally seconds after you put them into them, then I'm sold.

I bravely volunteer to buy the game first for this thread, and post my impressions, but only if everyone here covers the cost of the game (Just in case it doesn't work, you know, it it works then congrats! you can buy it now too)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stephen9001 posted:

I have found a small teaser for the Dwarfs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkCHmEoHZVE
A hint towards underground battles perhaps?

Man, this'd be such a great place to have the Skaven, but judging by the spider, it's probably gobbos or some such, bah.

EDIT:

Mordja posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! :black101:

Can't loving wait, this is such a good time to be a warham videogamer.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

"CommissarMega" posted:

Can't loving wait, this is such a good time to be a warham videogamer.

And such a bad time to be a warham wargamer

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nash posted:

I'm ok with this, assembling and painting mandolls to play a game is terrible

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

victrix posted:

I'm ok with this, assembling and painting mandolls to play a game is terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHq-v4HJVqE

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nash posted:

The universe balances itself out, it seems. Again, let's hope that CA at least sees that the Old World has plenty of charm and doesn't go with Age of Sigmuuurh.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

CommissarMega posted:

The universe balances itself out, it seems. Again, let's hope that CA at least sees that the Old World has plenty of charm and doesn't go with Age of Sigmuuurh.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW made them include an End Times campaign expansion which is impossible to win and you just have to watch the world blow up each time Chaos kicks the crap out of you. This will help build anticipation for the Sigmarine campaign!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GW making SEGA do anything four years after the contract was first signed is not going to happen. End Times might be a thing in the game if and only if GW plans more than one year in advance, which I don't think is the case. Sigmarines are definitely not going to happen at all in video game form to keep their licensed games from competing with their precious tabletop.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

papasyhotcakes posted:

I bravely volunteer to buy the game first for this thread, and post my impressions, but only if everyone here covers the cost of the game (Just in case it doesn't work, you know, it it works then congrats! you can buy it now too)

I think you're misunderstanding the term "Volunteer" :V

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

The ranges seem reaaaaally small. So small that i think Sots, who had ridiculously small weapon ranges looked like sniper warfare by comparison.

Zaodai posted:

My pc is eight or nine years old by now and it can barely run Rome 2 and Atilla but i'm terrified of looking at the costs associated with buying the parts for an entirely new PC.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Eh, is there really no Y Axis? Like even for ships to move by themselves? Ala Empire at War, I can deal with no Homeworld-style movement commands but not having ships move out of the way of eachother and generally maneuver themselves up and down looks really weird.

Otherwise, looks alright I guess. I hope there's more to the battles than what we saw.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Mans posted:

The ranges seem reaaaaally small. So small that i think Sots, who had ridiculously small weapon ranges looked like sniper warfare by comparison.

I'm not sure but I think that is actually the range at which Space Battles take place in the 40K universe, it is ridiculously short (so short that ramming and even boarding parties are viable).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

papasyhotcakes posted:

I'm not sure but I think that is actually the range at which Space Battles take place in the 40K universe, it is ridiculously short (so short that ramming and even boarding parties are viable).

Their computers are terrible, so they probably have to line shots up visually by hand. Would be funny if the Tau/Necron finally win by just out-ranging everyone by many orders of magnitude.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deakul posted:

Eh, is there really no Y Axis? Like even for ships to move by themselves? Ala Empire at War, I can deal with no Homeworld-style movement commands but not having ships move out of the way of eachother and generally maneuver themselves up and down looks really weird.

Otherwise, looks alright I guess. I hope there's more to the battles than what we saw.

There was no Y axis in the tabletop game, after all. Also, remember that 40k Space Battles are basically Age of Sail with a tiny bit of WWII for the Torpedo spreads and carriers. Nothing in anything 40k related ever goes beyond WWII level tactics or technology and most of it is Napoleonic, except maybe the Tau.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Their computers are terrible, so they probably have to line shots up visually by hand. Would be funny if the Tau/Necron finally win by just out-ranging everyone by many orders of magnitude.

It looks like a very literal interpretation of the original Battlefleet Gothic rules, which had the same kind of visual effect of ranges being super short. In the boardgame version though there was a layer of abstraction to it; what you were looking at was something like a "projection" that a fleet commander would be looking at, and the actual positions of the ship were the tiny stems the ships were based on. All ranges and so on were measured from the stems holding the models up instead of the actual models to represent its "real" position in space. The game in action looked a lot more like the gameplay video.

It still had boarding and boarding torpedoes though, it just meant that those boarding parties were in-universe travelling super fast across absolutely insane distances just so they could hack the enemy with an axe.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Deakul posted:

Well, the thing about "ships that move by themselves" (I assume you mean moving up and down so that ships don't collide with each other) is that ramming is an integral and important part of the original game's rules. What do you think those big armored prows on the Imperial ships are for?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

papasyhotcakes posted:

They're actually preposterously long, it's just that things are super fast. Multi-kilometer ships are represented not by their base but the arm on their stand. The base is still a quite large area, but it's the distance at which point defense guns can shoot, non-homing torpedoes' seeker heads can spot a ship et cetera.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mans posted:

You basically can't have realistic space engagement ranges if you want to feature boarding mechanics without teleportation / inertialess movement / etc. Not sure how they did boarding in tabletop but I know that was the strength of Dark Eldar and Space Marine fleets.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mans posted:

Eh, it's a promotional prerecorded video. They probably focused on minimum-range broadsiding simply because that looks impressive and dynamic, whereas long-range sniping doesn't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shumagorath posted:

You basically can't have realistic space engagement ranges if you want to feature boarding mechanics without teleportation / inertialess movement / etc. Not sure how they did boarding in tabletop but I know that was the strength of Dark Eldar and Space Marine fleets.

You had Assault Shuttles (raiding teams that plant bombs, etc, and inflict critical hits if they get through), Boarding Torpedoes (never used them, imagine they were similar, but c'mon, firing dudes out of a loving torpedo to hit other crews with an axe is peak 40k), and actual just getting close and boarding where the crews struggle to take one another out by actually coming alongside, lashing together, and swinging across on space-ropes or something to fight with space-cutlasses.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Their computers are poo poo but it's still all done electronically. Gunners have poo poo plugged into their brains and they target based on sensor data. The stuff they're shooting is thousands of km away usually though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Night10194 posted:

There was no Y axis in the tabletop game, after all. Also, remember that 40k Space Battles are basically Age of Sail with a tiny bit of WWII for the Torpedo spreads and carriers. Nothing in anything 40k related ever goes beyond WWII level tactics or technology and most of it is Napoleonic, except maybe the Tau.

Tomn posted:

Well, the thing about "ships that move by themselves" (I assume you mean moving up and down so that ships don't collide with each other) is that ramming is an integral and important part of the original game's rules. What do you think those big armored prows on the Imperial ships are for?

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It looks like a very literal interpretation of the original Battlefleet Gothic rules, which had the same kind of visual effect of ranges being super short. In the boardgame version though there was a layer of abstraction to it; what you were looking at was something like a "projection" that a fleet commander would be looking at, and the actual positions of the ship were the tiny stems the ships were based on. All ranges and so on were measured from the stems holding the models up instead of the actual models to represent its "real" position in space. The game in action looked a lot more like the gameplay video.

It still had boarding and boarding torpedoes though, it just meant that those boarding parties were in-universe travelling super fast across absolutely insane distances just so they could hack the enemy with an axe.

Huh, well, that's pretty interesting actually.
Did they have small fighter craft too? I didn't notice any in the video.

I assume not if they're really just 17th century naval battles in space.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deakul posted:

They do. The Emperor battleship my fleet has (I own an Imperial fleet) is primarily a carrier. Like I said, it's basically Age of Sail naval battles but there are also space fighters who are used to intercept torpedoes (which take multiple rounds to reach a target and go straight forward, making them kind of an area-denial weapon where if they don't avoid the torps they take a ton of damage but if they do, you can force them into a bad position, unless the Fighters intercept and destroy them) and bombers, and bombers, which are like much easier to guide into a target than Torpedoes and do wildly random damage if they get through, then Assault Boats that disable ship systems by boarding teams blowing poo poo up. Still, the fighters and stuff aren't as decisive as the whole 'move to fire broadside while carefully trying to prevent the enemy getting into his optimal arcs and keeping them firing at your armored bits' jockeying for position.

I know there are better big spaceship games, but BFG was one of the best games GW ever made. Reasonable cost of entry, fun to assemble and paint the models, you don't need massive numbers of them, and the rules had flavor and strategy that was fun to play.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Deakul posted:

They have fighters, bombers, boarding craft, and etc. efb

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

They did, but they weren't represented by models in play but by fighter squadron tokens. Their rules were also really simple, and you mostly deployed them to either counter incoming torpedo fire or enemy bombers.

Didn't stop some players from making little models anyway to represent them. They're the square bases.

And yes, that is a planet and its moons. BFG scale is a little wonky, but the original game always made it clear that what you were looking at was taking place on a much larger scale than you might think looking at just the models. Even basic fighter craft could zoom halfway across a planet's orbit in one turn with no issue.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, this sounds metal as gently caress.

Count me more interested than ever before!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When the game was in print, you could buy enough of a fleet to build a bunch of different ships and play for like 30 bucks plus shipping.

I am pretty convinced this is a major reason the game is no longer in print.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

xthetenth posted:

They're actually preposterously long, it's just that things are super fast. Multi-kilometer ships are represented not by their base but the arm on their stand. The base is still a quite large area, but it's the distance at which point defense guns can shoot, non-homing torpedoes' seeker heads can spot a ship et cetera.

Ohhhhh I didn't know this, it sounds extremely interesting.

A shame that GW dropped support for that game, I would have liked a new edition of that or Epic or Necromunda or...well any of their specialist games really :sigh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

When the game was in print, you could buy enough of a fleet to build a bunch of different ships and play for like 30 bucks plus shipping.

I am pretty convinced this is a major reason the game is no longer in print.

Yeah, I bought an imperial and chaos fleet just because I could. It was like eight bucks for a pair of cruisers, and ten ships a side was starting to get a bit big. Even after I bought a glorious metal grand cruiser and light cruiser squadron it was solidly in the two digits for two fleets.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm looking forward to it, though I hope there are some customization options, I love spending hours tricking out my ships.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Skandranon posted:

I'm looking forward to it, though I hope there are some customization options, I love spending hours tricking out my ships.

same, except I hope the only options are cosmetic skulls.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Mordja posted:

same, except I hope the only options are cosmetic skulls.

You can choose the pointy skull or the extra extra pointy skull with other smaller skulls around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Some of the other warship patterns are all kind of cool looking.

Give me my Voss pattern ships dammit.

• Locked thread