Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/411

A second game using GLOOME was released for the indie game maker contest. This one is actually very much unlike a shooter and is actually a third-person platformer. Wonky mouse control (don't use the mouse, seriously) and crashing if you die on the final boss aside, this is actually some interesting gameplay that could make for something really cool if expanded on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

uh, any chance for 32-bit executables for this and Nocturne in Yellow?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/411

A second game using GLOOME was released for the indie game maker contest. This one is actually very much unlike a shooter and is actually a third-person platformer. Wonky mouse control (don't use the mouse, seriously) and crashing if you die on the final boss aside, this is actually some interesting gameplay that could make for something really cool if expanded on.
Hey, it's only the second platformer made with the Doom engine!

(...and unlike SRB2, it actually stood a chance of being finished sometime this millennium.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

site posted:

Been a while since I've played it but I'm pretty sure you could adjust turn speed? Having to cycle through weapons does kinda suck though.

XBLA/BFG editions were fun to play with a controller. I wish GZDoom wasn't so wonky with its support.

I've played using an Xbox360 controller and GZDoom recognizes it. No other issues with it. This was after installing official Microsoft drivers I think.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

closeted republican posted:

Darkplaces with graphical options turned up, high-res textures, and a controller might work the best. Still, using a controller defeats the point of some of Q1's gameplay because the techniques that make Q1 stand out would either be impossible or very, very difficult to do with a controller. The only MP a controller-user could play is against low-level bots from the 90s. Frogbots and Frikbots could wipe the floor with a controller user, no matter the difficulty.

I strongly disagree with the idea of Darkplaces. The whole graphics issue is completely overblown--people don't need an HD remake of Super Mario Bros. 1 to appreciate why it's a classic, and nobody needs an HD remake of Quake either. I was looking for a video in vanilla, WinQuake, GLQuake, super8, or Quakespasm using basic vanilla-like graphics, in single player. Unfortunately it's very hard to find videos like that in good quality and I'm too poo poo at Quake to record entertaining videos, though at least the image quality was much better than average. I actually fed the raw video (13 gigs!) straight into YouTube and let the site compress the video itself. It took six hours to upload. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I actually just use darkplaces with all it's fancy poo poo turned off because it's the engine I've used that supports modern resolutions best out of the box.

V edit: Yeah, if you consider a hud still sized for 600x400 to be usable. Quakespasm at least has a scale button.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 11, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Super8 and Quakespasm both run 1080p perfectly out of the box.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Videos from "Custom Gamer" (Darren Weekes / DaZ, an OG Quake mapper) almost all use QuakeSpasm I think.

https://www.youtube.com/user/darrenweekes/videos

His YT channel doesn't have a Quake-only playlist, but his Steam video collection for Quake can sort of serve that purpose: http://steamcommunity.com/id/darrenweekes/videos/?appid=2310

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wamdoodle posted:

I've played using an Xbox360 controller and GZDoom recognizes it. No other issues with it. This was after installing official Microsoft drivers I think.

Like, I can select it in the controller options just fine, but the sticks fritz out and half the time the buttons won't work while in game, and I can't reconfigure the controls on some buttons. It's weird.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

laserghost posted:

uh, any chance for 32-bit executables for this and Nocturne in Yellow?

Nocturne should already be runnable on 32-bit, since I have both a 64-bit and 32-bit laptop and tested on both.
Nido Force isn't because WHOOPS, though.
If you're having trouble with Nocturne, there's two things you can do:

1: You can do ye olde fashionede methode and treat it like a mod. Drag NIY.pk3 onto GZDoom and load it up, since it can run fine on there. You'll lose out on a couple texture/lighting effects, but I think being able to, uh, run the thing is kind of more important.
2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/263088376/gloome-win32.zip - You can pluck the pk3s and .ini out and place them in this build.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

girth brooks part 2 posted:

The XBLA version of Duke3D is pretty neat if only for the save system. Instead of just save/load you rewind your game and pick back up whenever you want. Kind of a clever away to get around not having a quicksave, and it makes the game feel a bit like Duke of Persia or something.

The XBLA version of Duke3D is really, really good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The XBLA version of Duke3D is pretty neat if only for the save system. Instead of just save/load you rewind your game and pick back up whenever you want. Kind of a clever away to get around not having a quicksave, and it makes the game feel a bit like Duke of Persia or something.

Mak0rz posted:

The complete and total lack of split-screen makes me half-hate it. Everything else about it is perfect, though.

Still, come ON, guys!! :argh: Would it have been THAT hard??

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

site posted:

Like, I can select it in the controller options just fine, but the sticks fritz out and half the time the buttons won't work while in game, and I can't reconfigure the controls on some buttons. It's weird.

Really? Weird. Not sure what could be so different from our configurations. I had something similar before going ahead and installing the official drivers. The controller came up as a generic twin stick before I did that. Sorry, fellow Doomer :(

TerminusEst13 posted:

Nocturne should already be runnable on 32-bit, since I have both a 64-bit and 32-bit laptop and tested on both.
Nido Force isn't because WHOOPS, though.
If you're having trouble with Nocturne, there's two things you can do:

1: You can do ye olde fashionede methode and treat it like a mod. Drag NIY.pk3 onto GZDoom and load it up, since it can run fine on there. You'll lose out on a couple texture/lighting effects, but I think being able to, uh, run the thing is kind of more important.
2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/263088376/gloome-win32.zip - You can pluck the pk3s and .ini out and place them in this build.

Oh poo poo, I'm gonna do this.

Mak0rz posted:

It is very neat and good :)

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
Found a sealed copy of The Abyss: Incident of Europa at a local thrift shop. Anyone know anything about it outside of it being based on the move The Abyss?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The complete and total lack of split-screen makes me half-hate it. Everything else about it is perfect, though.

Still, come ON, guys!! :argh: Would it have been THAT hard??

I bought duke on xbla thinking it had split screen... Was soooo pissed.

I mean, even the n64 version had split screen, come on!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

site posted:

I bought duke on xbla thinking it had split screen... Was soooo pissed.

I mean, even the n64 version had split screen, come on!

Well, yes, but everything on the N64 had split screen.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I find Quake II and Quake 4 an interesting comparison. I think Quake II does a remarkable job at telling its story with the limits of the Id Tech 2 engine and Id Software gameplay template. Its manual describes a believable, internally consistent world and the game executes it to the best of its abilities and lets implication and your imagination fill in the details. The presentation is primitive and abstract enough that you can imagine the dispatcher getting the report of the broken bridge in The Installation from the combat engineers and relaying it in that short voice clip without having to actually meet the EOD team and hear their tedious exposition.

Quake 4 is basically the opposite of this. It is self-indulgently cinematic, stupid, and incoherent. The marines are all Aliens ripoffs and ethnic stereotypes (the angry black man, the depressed German, the dashing Latino, etc.). They're fighting a giant ground war against the Strogg for...reasons. Quake II's justification was pretty logical and straightforward--you trash their infrastructure to disrupt their ability to wage war, then you kill the Makron because they're an unstable warlord state and knocking out their strongman will cause social chaos and civil war for the foreseeable future. With the Strogg rendered impotent for at least a couple of decades, you can then go home. With Quake 4, they're...there? Maybe they want to kill all the Strogg? But the Big Gun was destroyed in Quake II so they could just bring in the fleet and glass the planet. There's this "Nexus" that supposedly coordinates all their communication as Strogg CompuServe or something (I guess they never invented the internet?) but it wasn't mentioned at all in Q2 despite its vital importance. Where did this new Makron come from when all the warlords supposedly would have to jockey and struggle until one comes out on top like post-Imperial China when the last one was killed.

Q4 tries to paint a much more detailed picture of the universe but just makes it more confused and nonsensical. When did they start using people juice instead of the blue rocks from Q2 to generate power? Wouldn't having to eat people, burn people for fuel, and make people into new Strogg put an unsustainable demand on the supply of human captives, especially since it's been years since they invaded Earth? Why are they almost all processed humans when only a small minority of Q2 Strogg were based on humans? What's the point of "tactical transfers" aside from Raven being too lazy to create a new set of mechanics for playing as a Strogg? Why would they make elite soldiers from whole humans when it was firmly established in Q2 that only their cannon fodder are whole humans and for their better units they take bits of different individuals or even different species and stick them together? Why would you even want to change that? Seeing people ripped into pieces and different people's pieces stuck back together is way scarier than seeing somebody's legs cut off and replaced with robot legs and that's it. The whole cinematic presentation greatly multiplies the problem, because the more exposition and plot they try to cram in, the more the player is tempted to question things and nothing holds up to even the slightest scrutiny because Raven's writers and designers are total hacks who get their asses handed to them by Tim Willits, Paul Steed, and the intern who wrote the manual.

If you're going to ignore even the very basic worldbuilding, aesthetics, and gameplay ideas that underpinned the original Quake II in favor of generic Aliens and military shooter cliches and some gratuitously "remastered" Q2 monster designs, what's the point of even making a sequel to Q2?

Don't even get me started on Quake Wars. That game was poo poo, everyone knew it was poo poo, and it died the miserable death it deserved.

EDIT: They couldn't even get right the entire reason why Id created the Strogg in the first place, was so that they could create a "realistic" sci-fi justification for the wide variety of enemy types and roles seen in Doom and Quake. Mutants are gone, Icari and Flyers are gone, Hornets are gone, most of the returning enemies have their attributes and roles made more generic. The enemy roster goes from an interesting but flawed and incomplete attempt to merge Quake's bestiary with Doom's to a bunch of mans you shoot to make them fall down.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 11, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

I find Quake II and Quake 4 an interesting comparison. I think Quake II does a remarkable job at telling its story with the limits of the Id Tech 2 engine and Id Software gameplay template. Its manual describes a believable, internally consistent world and the game executes it to the best of its abilities and lets implication and your imagination fill in the details. The presentation is primitive and abstract enough that you can imagine the dispatcher getting the report of the broken bridge in The Installation from the combat engineers and relaying it in that short voice clip without having to actually meet the EOD team and hear their tedious exposition.

Quake 4 is basically the opposite of this. It is self-indulgently cinematic, stupid, and incoherent. The marines are all Aliens ripoffs and ethnic stereotypes (the angry black man, the depressed German, the dashing Latino, etc.). They're fighting a giant ground war against the Strogg for...reasons. Quake II's justification was pretty logical and straightforward--you trash their infrastructure to disrupt their ability to wage war, then you kill the Makron because they're an unstable warlord state and knocking out their strongman will cause social chaos and civil war for the foreseeable future. With the Strogg rendered impotent for at least a couple of decades, you can then go home. With Quake 4, they're...there? Maybe they want to kill all the Strogg? But the Big Gun was destroyed in Quake II so they could just bring in the fleet and glass the planet. There's this "Nexus" that supposedly coordinates all their communication as Strogg CompuServe or something (I guess they never invented the internet?) but it wasn't mentioned at all in Q2 despite its vital importance. Where did this new Makron come from when all the warlords supposedly would have to jockey and struggle until one comes out on top like post-Imperial China when the last one was killed.

Q4 tries to paint a much more detailed picture of the universe but just makes it more confused and nonsensical. When did they start using people juice instead of the blue rocks from Q2 to generate power? Wouldn't having to eat people, burn people for fuel, and make people into new Strogg put an unsustainable demand on the supply of human captives, especially since it's been years since they invaded Earth? Why are they almost all processed humans when only a small minority of Q2 Strogg were based on humans? What's the point of "tactical transfers" aside from Raven being too lazy to create a new set of mechanics for playing as a Strogg? Why would they make elite soldiers from whole humans when it was firmly established in Q2 that only their cannon fodder are whole humans and for their better units they take bits of different individuals or even different species and stick them together? Why would you even want to change that? Seeing people ripped into pieces and different people's pieces stuck back together is way scarier than seeing somebody's legs cut off and replaced with robot legs and that's it. The whole cinematic presentation greatly multiplies the problem, because the more exposition and plot they try to cram in, the more the player is tempted to question things and nothing holds up to even the slightest scrutiny because Raven's writers and designers are total hacks who get their asses handed to them by Tim Willits, Paul Steed, and the intern who wrote the manual.

If you're going to ignore even the very basic worldbuilding, aesthetics, and gameplay ideas that underpinned the original Quake II in favor of generic Aliens and military shooter cliches and some gratuitously "remastered" Q2 monster designs, what's the point of even making a sequel to Q2?

*snip*

EDIT: They couldn't even get right the entire reason why Id created the Strogg in the first place, was so that they could create a "realistic" sci-fi justification for the wide variety of enemy types and roles seen in Doom and Quake. Mutants are gone, Icari and Flyers are gone, Hornets are gone, most of the returning enemies have their attributes and roles made more generic. The enemy roster goes from an interesting but flawed and incomplete attempt to merge Quake's bestiary with Doom's to a bunch of mans you shoot to make them fall down.

Uh, because everything looks cooler and that crazy bio tech stuff sounds :black101: as gently caress? I think that's probably the only reason they went that way :) However,

Woolie Wool posted:

Don't even get me started on Quake Wars. That game was poo poo, everyone knew it was poo poo, and it died the miserable death it deserved.

is extremely true. So much wasted potential.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

On the other hand Quake 4's Light Tank enemy is the first FPS monster to trigger my "oh god gently caress get it away" reaction when it goes berserk and charges at you with the whirring servo noises going.

Edit: It's true that the game didn't really make sense as far as story or worldbuilding but I felt like the monsters and environments were the right level of gross, unsettling and uncomfortable

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 11, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Uh, because everything looks cooler and that crazy bio tech stuff sounds :black101: as gently caress? I think that's probably the only reason they went that way :) However,
The Quake 2 way could have been even more :black101: if presented with Quake 4's fidelity though. Imagine a whole bunch of storage crates packed full of preserved body parts, or a scene where you get to watch people dissected and disassembled and put back together with other people's bits or even bits of different species. That would have been 10 times cooler than the Stroggification we actually saw.

And gently caress Stroyent, the Reckoning strongly implies that Strogg like to eat humans ALIVE. :black101: The Reckoning's ending with the second Makron is complete horseshit though both from a story and gameplay perspective. Get your own final boss!

Or maybe you visit a Strogg "farm" and find some race that's been biologically engineered to become essentially giant immobile sacks of meat that they grow like plants, and then you see faces on them and realize that at one point they were sapient aliens and the Strogg turned them into mindless meat plants, and maybe still feel pain when the Strogg eat them.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 11, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I couldn't really get into Quake 4. Something about the gun-play felt off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Weren't most of Quake 2's Strogg based off of humans?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nope, the manual says they're made from a variety of races, only the three guards are "processed humans" and most of the bigger ones have distorted, inhuman features (Gunner, Berserker, Iron Maiden, Icarus, Gladiator) or totally alien body plans (Medic, Parasite, Flyer, Technician, Brains, Tank).

Also this is the actual story given for a custom Quake II mapset. I don't think there's anything I can say to go along with this, the stupid speaks for itself:

quote:

1492: Anno Domini
...a devastating experience

1492 : a memorable date in human history.
With a long navigation from the old Europe, an italian explorer landed on the coasts of an unknown continent: this continent was called America, and it becomes the centre of our freedom.

1920 : the traitors are among us.
The time-journeys technology is used by Stroggs to conquer more easily other worlds : during a time-manipulation experiment, a human evily-contaminated family formed an alliance with our worst enemies: we don't know why, but they did it, damned bastards... Now the Stroggs have enough informations to delete our past : come back in 1492 and kill the America's discoverer...

2001 : the last hope
Our intelligence (...sometime works !) informed us about Stroggs plan : on the far planet of the Titans (the ancient world of a primitive population, now exterminated by the invaders, with a mix of strange architecture: indigenous cerimonial buildings, alien-tech chambers, ghotic castle... ) huge hordes of monsters are amassing in the teleporter system of the Time Machine, the countdown is started... The energy of the Strogg system is at the most level : right moment to strike...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, I had no idea that getting surround sound could be as simple as hooking my laptop up to my AV receiver with an HDMI cable. Does Quakespasm or any other of the source ports offer any support for that?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oops double post

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 11, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I loved Quake 4 :saddowns:

Woolie Wool posted:

They're fighting a giant ground war against the Strogg for...reasons. Quake II's justification was pretty logical and straightforward--you trash their infrastructure to disrupt their ability to wage war, then you kill the Makron because they're an unstable warlord state and knocking out their strongman will cause social chaos and civil war for the foreseeable future. With the Strogg rendered impotent for at least a couple of decades, you can then go home. With Quake 4, they're...there? Maybe they want to kill all the Strogg? But the Big Gun was destroyed in Quake II so they could just bring in the fleet and glass the planet.

I can't explain why the new Makron was appointed without fanfare, but iirc Quake 4 actually takes place very shortly after (or perhaps during?) the events of Quake II. I vaguely remember hearing a radio message about Bitterman destroying the gun and killing the Makron but that was probably a fever dream or something.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Yes, "a lone marine" too, even though he had other people helping him just out of sight the whole way, feeding him intel and instructions.

Bitterman kills the Makron and within days they have a new Makron, completely defeating the supposed purpose of killing the first one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

Yes, "a lone marine" too, even though he had other people helping him just out of sight the whole way, feeding him intel and instructions.

Bitterman kills the Makron and within days they have a new Makron, completely defeating the supposed purpose of killing the first one.

The ending of Quake 2 was described during the briefing on the dropship at the start of Quake 4 as "news" by Voss and the player was unconscious for some time after the crash but probably not for a long time, so the new Makron was appointed very quickly.

This could be explained by the plan in 2 not working as expected, probably because 4 revealed that the Strogg are a hive mind which makes it very unlikely that they could be coaxed into a civil war via any means. Also, as per 4 they had lots of surface to orbit fire other than the Big Gun so just glassing the place wouldn't have been easy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

Nope, the manual says they're made from a variety of races, only the three guards are "processed humans" and most of the bigger ones have distorted, inhuman features (Gunner, Berserker, Iron Maiden, Icarus, Gladiator) or totally alien body plans (Medic, Parasite, Flyer, Technician, Brains, Tank).

Huh, if that's the case, that's really...kind of lame, honestly. Why would they make the other assimilated races look almost exactly like humans? The gladiator and berserker, for example, looks exactly like a human--they don't even look "alien" by the terms of the Medic or Flyer or whatever. It actually makes no sense to interpret them as anything but human except for that one "one of three processed humans" quote in the manual. Even the ones that seem like they could be something other than human (like the Tank or the Medic) seem basically human.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying, poo poo, couldn't they have made these other interstellar assimilated races more inhuman? It's not like Star Trek, where you have to take budgets and human actors and costumes in mind, meaning most everybody has to look basically human.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Also, how do you introduce people to quake today? Newer gamers seem to hate KB+M and think anything old is for gorgnards. I still play Q1 and quakelive duels and no one I know likes to do that.

Show them that Quake is a good and fun game? The team leader at my last job played some with me around Christmas last year, going into it thinking it was going to be stupid. He came out of it wanting to get himself a copy.

EDIT: Of course there will always be some people who just will not get it. If somebody is of the mindset that KB+M is lovely poo poo and old games are crap for grandpas, they're probably not going to change their mind because some backwards-rear end gaming caveman attempts to grunt them into trying some ugly rear end piece of poo poo from like 1895 or whatever. But really, people with that kind of deeply ingrained mindset about loving video games... do you really WANT them to play the same games as you? I know I wouldn't.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 11, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

The whole cinematic presentation greatly multiplies the problem, because the more exposition and plot they try to cram in, the more the player is tempted to question things and nothing holds up to even the slightest scrutiny because Raven's writers and designers are total hacks who get their asses handed to them by Tim Willits, Paul Steed, and the intern who wrote the manual.
Paul Steed would probably be too busy getting shitfaced at work to hand anyone's rear end to anyone, if he was still alive.

Meanwhile, robots in happier times.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Raven was a good studio, but it never actually produced anything outstanding - all of it's FPS games were solid and handled well but all lacked a certain je ne sais quoi that made them actually really amazing (depending on how you view Heretic - I never played it when I was younger so I couldn't really get into it - Hexen faired a bit better although it had it's problems too)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jblade posted:

Raven was a good studio, but it never actually produced anything outstanding - all of it's FPS games were solid and handled well but all lacked a certain je ne sais quoi that made them actually really amazing (depending on how you view Heretic - I never played it when I was younger so I couldn't really get into it - Hexen faired a bit better although it had it's problems too)

Heretic was OK, but it felt more like a reskinned Doom than anything particularly unique. Awesome sound effects, though. Hexen was much more interesting, but was let down by way too much pointless backtracking, and way too few weapons per class.

Out of all the games they've made, my favorites are probably Quake 4 and Wolfenstein 2009 (especially with the brilliant Retrostein mod). And for non-FPS games, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a super solid 3rd-person slash-em-up. Too bad it was pulled from Steam etc. in early 2014 due to licensing bullshit.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Heretic was OK, but it felt more like a reskinned Doom than anything particularly unique. Awesome sound effects, though. Hexen was much more interesting, but was let down by way too much pointless backtracking, and way too few weapons per class.

Out of all the games they've made, my favorites are probably Quake 4 and Wolfenstein 2009 (especially with the brilliant Retrostein mod). And for non-FPS games, X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a super solid 3rd-person slash-em-up. Too bad it was pulled from Steam etc. in early 2014 due to licensing bullshit.

How were Raven's earlier games, like Black Crypt, CyClones and Shadowcaster? Are those worth tracking down these days? I remember Black Crypt was pretty well liked by the Amiga community way back when. Also Necrodome and Mageslayer are stuff I've been interested in checking out, have no idea how they hold up because they seem to have left gamers consciousness it seems.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 11, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Jblade posted:

Maybe not a classic FPS, but Jedi Outcast was a fantastic game and the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

netcat posted:

Maybe not a classic FPS, but Jedi Outcast was a fantastic game and the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game.

Jedi Outcast is great, but its FPS-only sections mostly suck and are easily outclassed by Dark Forces or Jedi Knight. It doesn't help that the game doesn't give you any of the fun guns until after you get all your Jedi poo poo so you're probably going to use them only minimally.

Unrelatedly wow, Scourge of Armagon doesn't gently caress around. You know what Quake needed more of? Floors collapsing into lava.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SparkTR posted:

How were Raven's earlier games, like Black Crypt, CyClones and Shadowcaster? Are those worth tracking down these days? I remember Black Crypt was pretty well liked by the Amiga community way back when. Also Necrodome and Mageslayer are stuff I've been interested in checking out, have no idea how they hold up because they seem to have left gamers consciousness it seems.
Black Crypt is a Dungeon Master/Eye of the Beholder clone with some nice pixel art utilizing the Amiga's "EHB" hardware trick to get some more mileage out of a 32 colour pallete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSCgUFST0Q

ShadowCaster is a first person action thing with mild RPG elements in which you play as a shapeshifter. Interestingly, it uses a unique "Raven Engine" developed by Carmack and Id that sits between the Wolfenstein and Doom tech. The engine would go on to be updated by Softdisk (god only knows how they got it) for In Pursuit of Greed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfYkMul6ZA

I've never played CyClones, but Marphy made a video of it so I'm posting it here. Apparently 30 minutes of FMV were filmed for the CD-ROM version, but only 8 were actually used because they were the least-terrible bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFYTsARTOo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never played Shadowcaster but one of my former roommates played it all the time and it honestly looked pretty good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Necrodome is real good. It plays like an arcade tank simulator, it has a pretty good 3D engine and it really feels like you're controlling vehicle taken straight from Mad Max movie. I really need more time to play with it because this game is virtually unknown. There is a shareware demo version avaiable, and it works nicely on XP 32bit: https://archive.org/download/NecroSw/necro_sw.exe
Mageslayer is straight Gauntlet clone made on simple polygon engine with tons of blood and some neat effects. It also has a demo version: https://archive.org/download/Mageslayer_1020/magedemo.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

laserghost posted:

Mageslayer is straight Gauntlet clone made on simple polygon engine with tons of blood and some neat effects. It also has a demo version: https://archive.org/download/Mageslayer_1020/magedemo.zip

Oh man, Mageslayer, I remember that. There's a sci fi game called Take No Prisoners on the same engine that I liked a lot as well. I remember the ads for it emphasizing that the game was gorier than an FPS because you could see all the bits flying off the enemies from the top down perspective.