Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

drgitlin posted:

It was really quite ordinary last time we went.

Last time I went, my "medium" burger had a cold red center. When sent back, it came back clearly having been microwaved. Too hot to eat, now well done, and they didn't take it off the bun, so everything had been microwaved. The servers response was a shrug. Their burgers can be great, but they aren't a great restaurant anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I never really understood the appeal of Ray's. I was there 3-4 years ago, thought it was below average, and never went back. Even places like BGR are better.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

CheshireCat posted:

Went to Le Diplomate recently for brunch and the food was excellent. A couple of my friends have gone there several times and enjoyed each outing, so they seem to have consistency down as well. Thinking about going back to try their dinner menu.

Go on a Tuesday night and order the lobster risotto special. They also a serve a pork milanese special on Wednesday nights. Get that too.

edit: I'm gonna beat up all of you Ray's haters. Can we all at least agree on the awesomeness of Ray's the Steaks?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

DARPA Dad posted:

Go on a Tuesday night and order the lobster risotto special. They also a serve a pork milanese special on Wednesday nights. Get that too.

edit: I'm gonna beat up all of you Ray's haters. Can we all at least agree on the awesomeness of Ray's the Steaks?

Ray's the Steaks > Ray's Hellburger

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Any great places in silver spring/wheaton? So far Mandalay is the only one I've been impressed with. Any reason to avoid DC traffic I'll take!
For downtown Silver Spring, 8407 right across from the SS Metro is really good (the duck two ways is really great, most of the stuff i've had there has been excellent), and I'm trying Urban Butcher tonight actually, which I've heard great things about.

In Wheaton, Mi La Cay has good Vietnamese food, there's 3 good Thai restaurants in Thai Taste, Nava Thai, and Ruan Thai (imho all better than Charm Thai in DTSS which I've seen mentioned a bunch of late?), several good Chinese places.

Not in Wheaton, but Frankly Pizza in Kensington is really great (though check their schedule, I think they're closed Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Wednesdays?). Also just a little further west in Garrett Park, Black Market Bistro has good food and a charming location.

edit: oh also Ren's Ramen is good as mentioned previously. Always seems a little pricy for what you get but it's definitely good and a niche you don't find filled by many other places in the area

quote:

Also, my boyfriend loves seafood. What is the best place for seafood in the DC area? Datey type. Also any good crab places would be appreciated too, he loves that poo poo.
For crab dishes (but not whole crabs themselves), I've never had a crab cake that can really hold a candle to Jerry's Seafood. Get the crab bisque too, they top it with a generous portion of lump crab meat. If you care about decor/ambience, definitely go to the Bowie location instead of the Lanham location.

het fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 11, 2015

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

het posted:

Not in Wheaton, but Frankly Pizza in Kensington is really great (though check their schedule, I think they're closed Mondays and Tuesdays, maybe Wednesdays?). Also just a little further west in Garrett Park, Black Market Bistro has good food and a charming location.

I love the Hot Mess pizza, constantly crave it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

SUBFRIES posted:

I love the Hot Mess pizza, constantly crave it.
Yeah, it's really good. I keep meaning to try the mushroom one but I'm always more tempted by the Hot Mess, the Sausage and Peppers one, or the Porky Marge.

edit:

BTW, Urban Butcher was very good if pricy (which you probably expect). The steak was surprisingly not cooked as described for medium rare but I suspect the waiter may have put it in as medium after hearing us debate medium vs medium rare. The ox brisket is just as great as all the Yelp reviews say, and the lavender margarita definitely lives up to the hype (and I'm usually a purist about margaritas). Really want to go back there with more people to try more appetizers.

het fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 11, 2015

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Every time I've eaten at BGR I've always been disappointed by the patty- no flavoring, hard and charred on the outside, hockey puck shaped from drawing up so much in cooking. And yeah Rays Hellburger was totally disappointing. I'm still a huge fan of Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill and Smashburger.

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

2DCAT posted:

Might have to check Social Burger out. Every time I want a burger in the Vienna area, I either go to Elevation off of 123, or BGR over in Tysons.

Quick word of warning, I went on Sunday and it was way below par (dry burger, soggy bun), I guess maybe they don't have consistency down? I've had good luck on weekday afternoons thus far.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm really easy to please when it comes to burgers. Ray's isn't what it used to be but it's still good. Burger Tap Shake has a few good ones, too. I'd eat any of the above though (just not often)

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Good Stuff Eatery

:barf:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Every time I've eaten at BGR I've always been disappointed by the patty- no flavoring, hard and charred on the outside, hockey puck shaped from drawing up so much in cooking. And yeah Rays Hellburger was totally disappointing. I'm still a huge fan of Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill and Smashburger.

There's a BGR in Sterling and the quality went WAAAAY down after the corporate trainers left. I used to go there because they'd cook to temperature and had onion rings. No longer. One customer in line is a slam they can't recover from.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I went to the BGR in Old Town about a year back and it was pretty mealy and crumbly and flavorless

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

pr0k posted:

There's a BGR in Sterling and the quality went WAAAAY down after the corporate trainers left. I used to go there because they'd cook to temperature and had onion rings. No longer. One customer in line is a slam they can't recover from.

Is that the one over in the Tysons mall? I was there a couple of weeks back and it wasn't bad. I usually go to the one near Adams Morgan and that was is usually pretty solid.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Cherrydale/Arlington BGR has been fine in my experience, but I usually get the lamb thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've said it before (in the non-food DC thread) and I'll say it again, the best burger I've had in DC is the bacon cheeseburger from the Green Pig.

Ray's got crappy, I agree with that for sure. Huge bummer.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Duke's Grocery in Dupont has a somewhat non-traditional but absolutely insane burger. One of the best I've ever had. All of their other sandwiches are pretty fantastic too.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kedo posted:

I've said it before (in the non-food DC thread) and I'll say it again, the best burger I've had in DC is the bacon cheeseburger from the Green Pig.

Don't remind me; I want it so bad.

Citizen Burger Bar seemed good too, but they failed miserably on the buns and I care about buns. I'll go back, though. They have shishitos.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Holy Cow in Del Ray makes a pretty good burger and they have weekly special burgers that are frequently insane and delicious. But insane. But delicious.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Living in West Africa now and my go-to DC food fantasy is waltzing into an oyster happy hour and getting a dozen mollusks and a flute of house bubbly. There are a lot of things I don't miss about DC, but I do miss oysters.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I had a dozen PEI oysters tonight at Passionfish. Awesome. blue points and ...uh something else. Then a crispy whole flounder with nam pla and enough thai chiles to kill an ox.

2DCAT posted:

Is that the one over in the Tysons mall? I was there a couple of weeks back and it wasn't bad. I usually go to the one near Adams Morgan and that was is usually pretty solid.

Nah, it's way past there on 7 west. I was at the Shake Shack at tysons once and the burger was pretty darned tasty. Never been to that BGR.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 15, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I ate some tacos at el centro (the one on 14th) and they were pretty good

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
OK it's a bit outside of DC but The Shack in Staunton, VA, is amazing.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CheshireCat posted:

Went to Le Diplomate recently for brunch and the food was excellent. A couple of my friends have gone there several times and enjoyed each outing, so they seem to have consistency down as well. Thinking about going back to try their dinner menu.

This week is Restaurant Week, it's a good time to try it out.

On that note, any places that would be good picks for restaurant week? Figure I should try some of these places while they're cheap(ish).

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Restaurant Week is a scam. Places offer abbreviated menus, the head chef is usually not there, which means the cooking is less focused. Service goes downhill because of the overcrowding the promotion causes. It's just a bum deal.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
yeah that. you can get some deals if you want to brave the crowds but it's not ideal. I think we did Corduroy once for RW?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

DARPA Dad posted:

Restaurant Week is a scam. Places offer abbreviated menus, the head chef is usually not there, which means the cooking is less focused. Service goes downhill because of the overcrowding the promotion causes. It's just a bum deal.

Aw, that's too bad. It seemed like a cool way to get acquainted with decent restaurants for cheap, but I can do the same at happy hours for a lot of these places.

Unrelated note: is there a metro-able place to get stuff like bone in pork shoulder, beef shin, and other less popular cuts of meat. I'm in Arlington by Courthouse, and Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Safeway don't seem to stray far from popular stuff like pork cutlets/chicken breast/ny strip/tbones.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

uninterrupted posted:

Aw, that's too bad. It seemed like a cool way to get acquainted with decent restaurants for cheap, but I can do the same at happy hours for a lot of these places.

Unrelated note: is there a metro-able place to get stuff like bone in pork shoulder, beef shin, and other less popular cuts of meat. I'm in Arlington by Courthouse, and Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Safeway don't seem to stray far from popular stuff like pork cutlets/chicken breast/ny strip/tbones.

Have you tried union meat company? I've only used them a couple of times (I usually go to a butcher about 30 minutes west of DC), but they've been pretty good for me in the past.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
link to union meat company with an example product listing and map: http://unionmeat.com/id2.html

they have more than what's on there too. you'll just need to speak with them and arrange for something.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

2DCAT posted:

link to union meat company with an example product listing and map: http://unionmeat.com/id2.html

they have more than what's on there too. you'll just need to speak with them and arrange for something.

Oh that looks fantastic, thanks! I'll check it out this weekend.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

2DCAT posted:

(I usually go to a butcher about 30 minutes west of DC)

Which?!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

pr0k posted:

Which?!

Two Fat Butchers over in Fort Royal: http://www.twofatbutchers.com/

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

2DCAT posted:

I feel like for butchers, there's some inverse relation to the quality of the website vs the quality of the particular butcher. Every great butcher I've been to has a lovely website

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
aLso not on a Metro, but in Del Rey: http://www.letsmeatontheavenue.com/

I haven't been in a while so I can't speak to selection, but I don't remember it being cheap.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

2DCAT posted:

Holy poo poo how did I not know about this

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007
Have not been to Two Fat Butchers but Wilson Farms Meat Co Inc has been nothing but excellent for me. They are in Catlett a little bit west of Manassas. Don't think they have a website, but here is their Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wilson-Farms-Meat-Co/178305222186539.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I've been to Wilson's once. That place is a fuckin riot. They sold me 30 lbs of pork belly without being fronted only because a friend vouched for me that I wouldn't flake. The pork was from PA and was just fine. Nothing special but it was amazingly cheap. I haven't made the drive since. IT's an hour west of my office which is 30 min west of my house. And, my local farmer's just taste better. I get significantly less good butchery, but I'm willing to sacrifice for flavor. They have a good selection and seem to be experts. Wish I could try more there but it's a hike.

e: your link seems broken. This one seems to work:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wilson-Farms-Meat-Co/178305222186539

pr0k fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 20, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
probably going to DC first weekend of September to celebrate an anniversary and have a good time.

any tips for trendy restaurants or extraordinary poo poo in general? last time we were in town we went to minibar and had a goddamn blast. probably don't wanna spend that much this time, but down for whatever really, if it means some really unique and interesting food. I think we'll be getting in pretty late on a friday, so late night cheap places welcome as well.

also going-out tips if any of y'all have 'em. we went to H street country club which was pretty fun, though I think we went on a weeknight so it probably wasn't as douchey as I imagine it can get. again, looking for off the beaten track interesting poo poo to do involving drinking.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

mindphlux posted:

probably going to DC first weekend of September to celebrate an anniversary and have a good time.

any tips for trendy restaurants or extraordinary poo poo in general? last time we were in town we went to minibar and had a goddamn blast. probably don't wanna spend that much this time, but down for whatever really, if it means some really unique and interesting food. I think we'll be getting in pretty late on a friday, so late night cheap places welcome as well.

also going-out tips if any of y'all have 'em. we went to H street country club which was pretty fun, though I think we went on a weeknight so it probably wasn't as douchey as I imagine it can get. again, looking for off the beaten track interesting poo poo to do involving drinking.

If you had fun at the minibar, I'd recommend Table 21 at Volt. At the time (2011?) I thought minibar was better, but I've heard it's gone downhill.

http://www.voltrestaurant.com/

Tuesday – Thursday
7pm seating only | Advance menu not available
Friday – Sunday
5:30 & 8:30 seating | Advance menu not available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Rogue 24 is also an option.

• Locked thread