Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I'm the guy that loves grandma goku and trumpet soundtracks and haven't watched the dub in 15 years. That being said I'm about to go see F in English in a real movie theater and I'm super excited. Can't we all just come together and enjoy dragonball regardless of what the dumb punchmans sound like when they talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I saw Resurrection F yesterday surrounded by a 12 dude bro frat guys and a one middle aged father who brought his young daughter. Best way to see Goku IMO

Choice moments were two of the bros talking about Super Cyan "Oh poo poo it's BLUE?" "THAT'S CAUSE IT'S LEGIT!" and the fact that the girl only cheered or clapped after Goku got beat up and Vegeta got to step in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did that too

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I'm the guy that loves grandma goku and trumpet soundtracks and haven't watched the dub in 15 years. That being said I'm about to go see F in English in a real movie theater and I'm super excited. Can't we all just come together and enjoy dragonball regardless of what the dumb punchmans sound like when they talk?

no

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

This is amazing.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I saw Resurrection F yesterday surrounded by a 12 dude bro frat guys and a one middle aged father who brought his young daughter. Best way to see Goku IMO

Choice moments were two of the bros talking about Super Cyan "Oh poo poo it's BLUE?" "THAT'S CAUSE IT'S LEGIT!" and the fact that the girl only cheered or clapped after Goku got beat up and Vegeta got to step in.

Saw it in the same theater I saw Battle of Gods. Whereas that was almost entirely Latino kids (wearing so many mall kiosk DBZ shirts, I didn't even know they still made those) and I was able to buy tickets on the way in, the Resurrection [F] showing(s) were sold out and had maybe 2-3 families that actually brought kids. Mostly older dudes, which made for a very different (but equally hilarious) experience.

A guy yelled "he a pussy bitch, tho" when Goku went down, followed by "YO gently caress HIM UP" when Vegeta came in, followed by cheering. :allears:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I don't know who this Ronda is, but I feel any discussion about societal things would end with Vegeta claiming it's all stupid and he should be in charge or some similar variation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I basically imagine Vegeta and politics basically being like Donald Trump.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I checked out that latest Super ep to see the fuss and dang, not only does it look like rear end but the pacing is complete garbage, which is an even worse crime.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

agreed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*in arab voice from C&C Generals* Saiyan battle armors for everyone!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Goku isn't a goody goody

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Covok posted:

I don't know who this Ronda is, but I feel any discussion about societal things would end with Vegeta claiming it's all stupid and he should be in charge or some similar variation.

Ronda beats the poo poo out of people for a living, I'm sure that they'll see eye to eye.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vindicated at last.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Covok posted:

ronda for president imo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

In general, I prefer to consume media in the language in which it was produced...but DBZ is just so tied to my childhood, to a time before I really realized that the show wasn't originally in English.

Exactly the same with me. I just love that Goku (In English).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
10 minutes and I love Mercenary Tao already

KILL YOU!

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 11, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Vegeta trained with Ronda for a year I don't think they'd let her compete in the UFC for much longer.

At the very least she'd have to be moved up to the top weight class.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If Vegeta trained with Ronda for a year I don't think they'd let her compete in the UFC for much longer.

At the very least she'd have to be moved up to the top weight class.

Is it true? A level.... BEYOND ROWDY?!

:kingsley:
:goku::

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Flytrap posted:

http://gabzilla-z.tumblr.com/post/126356261289/skhaan-i-saw-this-on-twitter-and-i-think-its

Well I found a thing that might explain some thing. Jesus Christ, if even a single panel of this is as true as it's presented the industry is hosed.

Couple pages back but Thomas Romain is employed at Satelight and that stuff is 100% true.

KyoAni is actually entirely* inhouse too, though.

With regards to Toei as far as I'm aware their inhouse animators are salaried but that's really rare in the industry, and they don't have enough of them to make 7 shows at once fully inhouse. The common response to that is "well, why do they make so many shows at once then", and the answer is because they're a business and it makes money. They're afaik the largest 2D animation studio in Japan by employee count and because they make kids/mainstream shows they operate at a completely different scale than the majority of other studios.

Someone posted earlier in this thread wondering if they could just make a cel-shaded CG style Dragonball like some of the games are, but their CG team is nowhere near big enough to pull that off. Precure's endings are full CG and the director for the latest one tweeted that they'd need 3 months per episode to produce a full CG series, presumably using their full team. 2D anime episodes still take 1-3 months each but different people work on different episodes so they're in production simultaneously.

aers fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 11, 2015

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

Saw it in the same theater I saw Battle of Gods. Whereas that was almost entirely Latino kids (wearing so many mall kiosk DBZ shirts, I didn't even know they still made those) and I was able to buy tickets on the way in, the Resurrection [F] showing(s) were sold out and had maybe 2-3 families that actually brought kids. Mostly older dudes, which made for a very different (but equally hilarious) experience.

A guy yelled "he a pussy bitch, tho" when Goku went down, followed by "YO gently caress HIM UP" when Vegeta came in, followed by cheering. :allears:

They have played Vegeta so perfect, and I don't know if it is on purpose or not. They have blue-balled us with Vegeta for so loving long whenever he actually gets to kick rear end for 10 seconds it's the hypest thing ever.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honestly goku's voice isn't all that deep in English either so granny goku doesn't bother me much especially after like 20 years of 5 packs a day smoking seems to have dropped her goku voice an octave or two. Her voice seemed way higher pitched in some of the older subbed movies a friend of mine had.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Farecoal posted:

10 minutes and I love Mercenary Tao already

KILL YOU!

Guy certainly knows how to make an entrance.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, the entire sequence is pretty great, also because it gives the entire arc some much needed structure. Also, Tao vs Blue might be the first not comedic death of the series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Is it true? A level.... BEYOND ROWDY?!

:kingsley:
:goku::

well, until he comes back from training in otherworld

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was going through old toy boxes and found some DBZ stuff. My plan was to put this up on SA Mart and eventually ebay, but thought this might be a better place to see if any of it appeals to any of you:

11 action figures. The smaller ones on the far right are rubber bendy ones. Trunks is the only one with some playable articulation (and a sword). All of them have clamshell shirts you can remove for some goofy reason.

Some random trading cards that came with them. Some are gold and shiny? The two upper left horizontal ones are stickers that haven't been stuck yet.

Miniature guys. These are about the size of a nickel. I'll admit I can't identify all of them.

If any of these interest you, shoot me a PM and it can go to a doting fan household.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Electromax posted:

Miniature guys. These are about the size of a nickel. I'll admit I can't identify all of them.

If any of these interest you, shoot me a PM and it can go to a doting fan household.

I can identify all but one. Who the gently caress is that between SSJ Goku and Great Saiyaman on the top row, in the white top?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

New Leaf posted:

I can identify all but one. Who the gently caress is that between SSJ Goku and Great Saiyaman on the top row, in the white top?

I was going to say Videl, but why the gently caress is Rock Lee training with the Z-Warriors?!?

Also, if they're clamshell costumes (weighted clothes :v:) it's likely they came from, like, a Burger King kids meal or something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Also, if they're clamshell costumes (weighted clothes :v:) it's likely they came from, like, a Burger King kids meal or something.

They came from this line of 90s-early 2000s toys:
http://www.toywiz.com/dbzseries8gok...FeosaAqaX8P8HAQ

The arms move but generally not much else. I remember just thinking it was cool that they had these weird Japanese toys at Suncoast Movies.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Electromax posted:

I was going through old toy boxes and found some DBZ stuff. My plan was to put this up on SA Mart and eventually ebay, but thought this might be a better place to see if any of it appeals to any of you:

11 action figures. The smaller ones on the far right are rubber bendy ones. Trunks is the only one with some playable articulation (and a sword). All of them have clamshell shirts you can remove for some goofy reason.

drat, these bring back memories. I had all of the larger figures except for the Trunks. Brings back memories.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Electromax posted:

Some random trading cards that came with them. Some are gold and shiny? The two upper left horizontal ones are stickers that haven't been stuck yet.

This has me thinking. I have a ton of old DBZ/GT poo poo in a box in my basement from when I was an super-alpha-nerd. I wonder how much some of it is worth.

Edit: Looked it up, I have the Bandai "Super Battle Collection" SS4 Goku, Vegeta, and Gogeta, along with regular old Son Gohan. They seem to go anywhere from ~$20 to $60 on eBay. Mostly $20ish though, the higher listings are probably guys that are just telling their wives that they can't get them to sell.

I also have a ton of these weird Japanese trading cards. They seem to be from some trading card game. The backs have numbers and "DEFENSE" around the edges. E2: http://stop2shop.com/dragonballz-herocollection1.html This is what I've got.

All in all, not super interesting.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 11, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Aha, I knew this thread was missing something since the change happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbeloUlQwc

VUH-GEE-TUH

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aaah will defeat Go-ku.

Man now I wish he talked in the movie.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Trying to play raging blast 2 after getting used to xenoverse is really hard :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I couldn't watch with sound, but Goten seems really salty over being called Goku.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

He's so excited to see Trunks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He really does sound like he just strolled in a club and saw some friends he hasn't seen in a while.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Browsing through that guy's channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfOzyYee_lY

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So a portion of an upcoming episode of the Cartoon Network series The Amazing World of Gumball just leaked and they directly reference the term Super Saiyan, it's kinda surreal

• Locked thread