Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

Correct.

A purple nurple that would crush diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Sizone posted:

That's a flashback to before it being submerged. I think the idea was that they would be stashing themselves underneath the playfield, which will also hing up, but it wasn't really drawn right. No matter, you still could not fit a vampire in there, regardless of what other posters think it's what they want you think.

Ah, but what about half a vampire?

(Prez #4, obviously)

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Esplanade posted:

(Prez #4, obviously)

Which half?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Esplanade posted:

(Prez #4, obviously)

Wow. I never knew prez was a real thing and not just a one-off for a sandman story.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Was, and is again...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/prez-2015/prez-1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. I never knew prez was a real thing and not just a one-off for a sandman story.

The new series of Prez is pretty much the best comic going.

SynthOrange posted:

The future is horrifying in Prez #2

Uthor posted:

At least it's good to know that Congress hasn't changed one bit.

bobkatt013 posted:

I needed to add the rest of the page

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 10, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have those panels, or know where they come from, of Tony Stark fighting some purple guy while naked? I think the purple guy was super sensitive or something like that, because there's a great panel of him flinching from a handful of grass thrown at him.

Wanna see if I can find em on marvel universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That's a fight between Tony Stark and the Orphan (aka Mr. Sensitive.)

It happens in Peter Milligan's X-Statics series.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone have those panels, or know where they come from, of Tony Stark fighting some purple guy while naked? I think the purple guy was super sensitive or something like that, because there's a great panel of him flinching from a handful of grass thrown at him.

The purple guy is Mr Sensitive, so I assume it happened in X-Statix but I have no idea which issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

X-statix 19-26 but start with X-force 116

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope people make fun of him a lot for calling himself "Mr. Sensitive".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Still have them in my imgur account...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I hope people make fun of him a lot for calling himself "Mr. Sensitive".

Well, it was his mutant power. He was ultra sensitive to stimuli and had to wear a special suit designed by Prof X to be able to do anything.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Rereading Moore's run on Swamp Thing is inspiring me. I'm going to be a super villain, my power will be to make people relive the trauma of their origin stories over and over again. I'm mostly going to gently caress with Batman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Batman would be all "I relive the trauma of my parents' death every day" and then would punch you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sizone posted:

Rereading Moore's run on Swamp Thing is inspiring me. I'm going to be a super villain, my power will be to make people relive the trauma of their origin stories over and over again. I'm mostly going to gently caress with Batman.

Being a movie studio executive isn't a superpower.

Except for all the money, I guess.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

Batman would be all "I relive the trauma of my parents' death every day" and then would punch you.

No, Batman would punch him first and then, when he's on the ground all, "B-but...how?!? I trapped you inside your most traumatic moment! You should be helpless!" Batman will narrow his eyes and growl, "My most traumatic moment? I never left it."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Much like how Batman's cape obscures his form and draws gunfire away from his vital organs, so too my enormous, flowing gut would distract and draw his punches away from my organs and face.

I have this all thought out.

If, after the first missed punch, he persisted, I would threaten him with making Kevin Smith write his flagship book again.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Phylodox posted:

No, Batman would punch him first and then, when he's on the ground all, "B-but...how?!? I trapped you inside your most traumatic moment! You should be helpless!" Batman will narrow his eyes and growl, "My most traumatic moment? I never left it."

It's amazing how I saw this in my head as I read it, in both comic book and animated form.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this? posted:

Well, it was his mutant power. He was ultra sensitive to stimuli and had to wear a special suit designed by Prof X to be able to do anything.

He could have gone with the classics and called himself "Sensitive Man". At least that is, like, a Brenda Russel song and not something people say while rolling their eyes and making jerk-off motions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was part of a group that had names like Phat, U-Go Girl, Anarchist, El Guapo and the kind of on the nose Dead Girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uthor posted:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

He was part of a group that had names like Phat, U-Go Girl, Anarchist, El Guapo and the kind of on the nose Dead Girl.

They also usually just refer to each other by their real names I thought but it's been a long time since I've read it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Next thing you'll be telling us that you don't know all about Brother Power: The Geek.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I can never tell if Jack Kirby hated hippies or thought they had legit magical powers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Archer and Armstrong #12

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"Brother Godwin" Nice touch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

HogX posted:

Oh my god, I didn't notice the 'nerp' action sound or that IT'S PURPLE. :psyduck:

incredible Herc had the best sound effects, the whole run is like that

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Opopanax posted:

incredible Herc had the best sound effects, the whole run is like that

It sure is :allears:

All from Incredible Hercules #136

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That issue should've won like 3000 Eisner's.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

ecavalli posted:

I can never tell if Jack Kirby hated hippies or thought they had legit magical powers.

If that was a reference to the Brother Power post above yours, the Geek was created by Joe Simon, not Jack Kirby.

Kirby definitely did not hate hippies. The Forever People, for example, was basically a love letter to the younger generation of that time, despite the fact that Kirby himself was in his 50s, which would normally be prime time for hating young people. To the latter point, the magic powers Kirby believed hippies had would be optimism and idealism, which just found themselves literalized in his comics in the same way that fascism is literalized in the form of the anti-life equation.

A major theme of the Fourth World--and one that pulls from classical mythology as well; cf. the Titanomachy and Aeschylus's Eumenides--is that each generation learns from the mistakes of its parents and progress moves inexorably on. Orion and Scott Free are better than Darkseid, and the Forever People are even better, as they don't carry even the same prejudices that we see within the New Genesis society.

Steve Ditko for real hated hippies, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there anything Steve Ditko didn't hate?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Is there anything Steve Ditko didn't hate?

OBJECTIVISM

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

But isn't objectivism really all about self-loathing?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

If that was a reference to the Brother Power post above yours, the Geek was created by Joe Simon, not Jack Kirby.

Kirby definitely did not hate hippies. The Forever People, for example, was basically a love letter to the younger generation of that time, despite the fact that Kirby himself was in his 50s, which would normally be prime time for hating young people. To the latter point, the magic powers Kirby believed hippies had would be optimism and idealism, which just found themselves literalized in his comics in the same way that fascism is literalized in the form of the anti-life equation.

A major theme of the Fourth World--and one that pulls from classical mythology as well; cf. the Titanomachy and Aeschylus's Eumenides--is that each generation learns from the mistakes of its parents and progress moves inexorably on. Orion and Scott Free are better than Darkseid, and the Forever People are even better, as they don't carry even the same prejudices that we see within the New Genesis society.

Steve Ditko for real hated hippies, though.

You're absolutely right. Apologies.

The reason I was thinking of Kirby was that I'd recently been reading the Fourth World omnibuses (omnibi?) and like you said, a lot of it is a big, wet kiss to the idealism and aesthetics of the long-haired set.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Exar Kun makes a bold struggle against the temptations of the Dark Side:

(Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #3)

Doreen Green, totally normal college person:

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Benito Cereno posted:

Awww, I take it all back, he sounds like a genuinely cool and sweet dude, even if he did draw everyone like derpy, swivel-eyed lunatics and give them the dumbest names humanly possible. The world needs more sweethearts like that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sentinel Red posted:

Awww, I take it all back, he sounds like a genuinely cool and sweet dude, even if he did draw everyone like derpy, swivel-eyed lunatics and give them the dumbest names humanly possible. The world needs more sweethearts like that.

Black Racer

Darkseid

Orion

These aren't the dumbest names, they are the most loving metal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

joehonkie posted:

Exar Kun makes a bold struggle against the temptations of the Dark Side:

(Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #3)

Beaten, battered, close to death, unable to draw on Light Side powers because it's outright blocked where he's at, and this was before there was any creed to spout to yourself. I remember that sequence.

Then again, people have also noted he wasn't much of a Sith Lord, based on his accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sizone posted:

Black Racer

Darkseid

Orion

These aren't the dumbest names, they are the most loving metal.

Funky Flashman :black101:

e: Might as well post the best character introduction in comics.

Mister Miracle #6

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 11, 2015