Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Is anyone running the Mazda Competition rubber bushings? How jarring is the ride with those? The price hurts, but at least they have a lesser chance of squeaking than the polyurethane.

Its going to be on jack stands for a while. I'm not looking forward to all the seized suspension bolts.

edit: The roads loving suck here in Hawaii so a really crappy road opinion would be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TooLShack posted:

Let me know if you ever ditch the NA.

You gonna want it back? Might be awhile, it needs some work before I can even think about selling it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Laranzu posted:

Is anyone running the Mazda Competition rubber bushings? How jarring is the ride with those? The price hurts, but at least they have a lesser chance of squeaking than the polyurethane.

Its going to be on jack stands for a while. I'm not looking forward to all the seized suspension bolts.

edit: The roads loving suck here in Hawaii so a really crappy road opinion would be the best.

i was going to put a set of stock-style rubber in, just new. Is it really too soft?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When I was looking for my NC, it was also a crapshoot to find a manual. Everything was automatic in Houston. I would have bought a sport in white with a 5 speed if it was a trivial matter to retrofit cruise control into it, it's not apparently. The mazda dealer was saying they couldn't keep manuals on the lot, while the automatics languished forever. I think the only reason I was able to get mine is because the top was glue striped to gently caress. Also it's black. Do never buy a black car in Texas. Ever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think we see more automatics for sale because the manuals actually sell quickly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BloodBag posted:

When I was looking for my NC, it was also a crapshoot to find a manual. Everything was automatic in Houston. I would have bought a sport in white with a 5 speed if it was a trivial matter to retrofit cruise control into it, it's not apparently. The mazda dealer was saying they couldn't keep manuals on the lot, while the automatics languished forever. I think the only reason I was able to get mine is because the top was glue striped to gently caress. Also it's black. Do never buy a black car in Texas. Ever.

Was cruise control an option on the Sport? Mine has it but I figured it was just standard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cross-posting this from the stupid question thread as you might be more familiar with these issues here:

My 2002 NB Miata usually makes a mild but noticeable whining/squeaking noise from the clutch/transmission area when the clutch is engaged in neutral. It's less noticeable on a hot car and goes away completely when I disengage the clutch or shift into a gear (though maybe it's just too quite to hear at that point).

However, rarely it makes a pretty scary rattle, like if something is being shaken apart. Again, this is with the clutch engaged in neutral - yesterday I pulled into a parking spot, took it out of gear and - rat-tatttat. Depressing the clutch pedal a couple of times got rid of the noise and today everything seemed as usual.

I'd say it could be the pilot bearing or input shaft, but a) would it really rattle like that? and b) any way to diagnose this further? I also do have some classic clutch chatter/judder symptoms.

PS. Should I also get the rear main seal done? There are no leaks there.
What's the part number for a 5-speed NBFL? There are a couple of parts that seem to be very different:
http://ilmotorsport.de/shop/article_detail.php5?aid=4240&oid=&depth=0&page=1&count=28&PHPSESSID=517918093f28406dcd8e3b5a8177179c
http://ilmotorsport.de/shop/article_detail.php5?aid=1082&oid=&depth=0&page=1&count=28&PHPSESSID=517918093f28406dcd8e3b5a8177179ccount=28

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laranzu posted:

This doesn't help on your main question, but have you considered the IL motorsports ones they sell at FM and a few other places? They're about $200 less than the mazda competition ones I think.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mobby_6kl posted:

Cross-posting this from the stupid question thread as you might be more familiar with these issues here:

My 2002 NB Miata usually makes a mild but noticeable whining/squeaking noise from the clutch/transmission area when the clutch is engaged in neutral. It's less noticeable on a hot car and goes away completely when I disengage the clutch or shift into a gear (though maybe it's just too quite to hear at that point).

However, rarely it makes a pretty scary rattle, like if something is being shaken apart. Again, this is with the clutch engaged in neutral - yesterday I pulled into a parking spot, took it out of gear and - rat-tatttat. Depressing the clutch pedal a couple of times got rid of the noise and today everything seemed as usual.

I'd say it could be the pilot bearing or input shaft, but a) would it really rattle like that? and b) any way to diagnose this further? I also do have some classic clutch chatter/judder symptoms.

PS. Should I also get the rear main seal done? There are no leaks there.
What's the part number for a 5-speed NBFL? There are a couple of parts that seem to be very different:
http://ilmotorsport.de/shop/article_detail.php5?aid=4240&oid=&depth=0&page=1&count=28&PHPSESSID=517918093f28406dcd8e3b5a8177179c
http://ilmotorsport.de/shop/article_detail.php5?aid=1082&oid=&depth=0&page=1&count=28&PHPSESSID=517918093f28406dcd8e3b5a8177179ccount=28

Probably the pilot bearing or throw out bearing. I'd just replace the clutch if it's kind of old and do both bearings and the rear main. Pilot bearing on mine was making a racket and it was pretty rusty once I got in there to replace it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I was NB shopping Leica advised me to start looking for NCs as they were dropping under $10K and I found mine in South Florida with a $9K asking price at 60K miles. 6speed Gt and all that. When I was looking I'd say 3/4 of the cars I was looking ta were manuals, has it really dried up that much?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rhyno posted:

When I was NB shopping Leica advised me to start looking for NCs as they were dropping under $10K and I found mine in South Florida with a $9K asking price at 60K miles. 6speed Gt and all that. When I was looking I'd say 3/4 of the cars I was looking ta were manuals, has it really dried up that much?

NCs are an absolutely insane value right now. Nobody wants an NC, especially the pre-refresh styling, and they're still great cars. I wish I could have picked up a friend's dad's '06, I found out he traded it on an F150 and got $5500 for the trade.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

NCs are an absolutely insane value right now. Nobody wants an NC, especially the pre-refresh styling, and they're still great cars. I wish I could have picked up a friend's dad's '06, I found out he traded it on an F150 and got $5500 for the trade.

Just dumped my 06 GT for $6500 because Craigslist wasn't working and I need the cash for closing costs. (Also in Hawaii, so the deal probably wouldn't have worked for the thread anyways).

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

leica posted:

You gonna want it back? Might be awhile, it needs some work before I can even think about selling it.

I'd like to, but gotta be realistic and say I won't be able to do it, new shop isn't making enough money yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

NCs are an absolutely insane value right now.

I'd rather have a NB2. There's an 02 SE local, 60k miles hunter green with tan immaculate interior and top for 5k but it's loving automatic :argh:

NC's are ok, but I'd have to drive one because looking at them isn't doing it for me.

[e] and gently caress paying twice the price for an NC with the same mileage as an NB2.

TooLShack posted:

I'd like to, but gotta be realistic and say I won't be able to do it, new shop isn't making enough money yet.

:smith:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 12, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Larrymer posted:

Probably the pilot bearing or throw out bearing. I'd just replace the clutch if it's kind of old and do both bearings and the rear main. Pilot bearing on mine was making a racket and it was pretty rusty once I got in there to replace it.

Ok thanks - this mostly confirms my suspicion. The clutch might be the original 10 year-old one, though it's hard to tell. The car only has about 80k km. This must be a rare issue as I didn't even get any other replies here or on m.net :)

I'm also thinking my engine mounts might be hosed, possibly making the clutch situation worse. I just checked them visually (without removing anything) and they look solid and undamaged. There also doesn't seem to be any excessive rocking of engine when revving it in neutral.

However dropping and then nailing the throttle in 2nd/3rd gear causes a little shift lever movement, but a very noticeable jerking and surging of engine speed - it'd jump up and down a couple of times before settling into hard acceleration. This doesn't happen with smooth application of WOT.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Put a camera on behind the driver and look at the shifter location during cornering; it moves way more than you think.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Uh oh, mystery wire :(

I was checking out my brake fluid reservoir to see if I really did have a slow leak (Yes, I do :smithicide:) and saw this thing dangling down with a big old bolt hanging in it. It's fairly obviously a ground wire but any idea where it goes before I jack the drat thing up and crawl under?

I suspect it's probably from the bellhousing and I just stupidly didn't tighten it down properly after doing the clutch. I'm just afraid I'm gonna crawl under and see more of the drat bolts missing. (:smithicide:)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks like it might be one that goes on top. Probably your reverse lights if it's the banana plug type connectors.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

Looks like it might be one that goes on top. Probably your reverse lights if it's the banana plug type connectors.

Definitely not the ones on top, those were tiny. This is a pretty thick gauge with a ring terminal at the end, through which was a fairly large bolt.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://www.miata.net/garage/radio.html

Had anyone done this fix before? My radio wouldn't turn on this morning and I found this. It might be easier to just replace the radio instead of I have to pull it out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.miata.net/garage/radio.html

Had anyone done this fix before? My radio wouldn't turn on this morning and I found this. It might be easier to just replace the radio instead of I have to pull it out.

Aftermarket radios are so cheap nowadays, and even include nice things like Bluetooth connectivity and AUX/USB inputs that I would just put a new radio in.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 12, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

RillAkBea posted:

Definitely not the ones on top, those were tiny. This is a pretty thick gauge with a ring terminal at the end, through which was a fairly large bolt.

Side of the transmission I think. A small 10mm bolt holds it on.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

leica posted:

NC's are ok, but I'd have to drive one because looking at them isn't doing it for me.

[e] and gently caress paying twice the price for an NC with the same mileage as an NB2.
You know, the NC is growing on me after seeing the ND... And with a PRHT or that cool hard top someone linked earlier, it seems like it could be a good option for my next Miata.

But whatever, I go back and forth on all that stuff. Ask me again tomorrow and I might be dead set on a BRZ.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

Put a camera on behind the driver and look at the shifter location during cornering; it moves way more than you think.

You say things like this and now I'm conflicted about removing my buzzy hard motor mounts...

As for NC prices, NC1s have tanked, NC2 and NC3 are both on their way down as well (partially because quite a few are likely getting traded in on NDs). The only ones I see retaining their value for now is PHRTs, which BTW, are excellent daily drivers.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 12, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well I found where my mystery bolt went, luckily all the other bellhousing bolts were safe except this one. Unfortunately it was one of the bolts with a nut on the end and the nut is long gone.

I also found the source of my brake fluid leak. It was the caliper with the peely A-arm :v: Back right side, looks like it's blown out the back seal for the hand brake actuator, so it's rebuild time very soon.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Checked all the normal places for them to piss oil? CAS seal, cam seals, crank seals?

I test drove with my CAS hanging off a bit because I was stupid and it threw an obscene amount of oil out.

I've had an oil leak from the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket (not both on the same Miata though.)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

I.L. Motorsport competition mounts ordered. Worst case, I should be able to resell them locally if I end up not needing them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have an NA/NB, the Mazdaspeed competition mounts are a decent deal and aren't buzzy as gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
NBFL. Are the I.L. ones particularly buzzy? I doubt I'd be able to get them now in Germany anyway, especially on short notice. Would you know the part number I could search for?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're both rubber and supposedly the same durometers so I don't know why the IL ones would be any buzzier than mazdaspeed's? I have no first hand experience though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Mazda ones aren't much more expensive through the Mazda Motorsport program. Their shipping is nicer to my area as well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The p/n is NAY1-39-040. Retail is $70 per, but Rosenthal has them for $50, mazdaspeed is cheaper.

Rosenthal also has the Brembos for sale on the ND too. :iiam:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I saw a white ND at deeter Mazda in Houston on the way to the mini dealer. That is a beautiful car in person. I wish I could have a miata as a weekend car and an outback as my daily/bike wagon

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the manual transmission is archaic technology...I find it hard to understand why anyone would want one. If you're willing to live with all the electronic nannies that come in the club and the GT why would you tolerate an old fashioned, outdated technology? Somehow folks have the idea that any of these models will perform differently from one another-I doubt it. Of course-to each their own.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

I saw a white ND at deeter Mazda in Houston on the way to the mini dealer. That is a beautiful car in person. I wish I could have a miata as a weekend car and an outback as my daily/bike wagon

I use my Miata to transport my bikes. The hitch was an absolute whore to install, but it's much better than any trunk mount rack.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I use a saris bones rack, it mounts on the trunk and it's really easy to scratch the car if you're careless about the straps but once it's on it seems to be pretty good at not scratching the car with its rubberized feet. I like it because it folds up and fits in the trunk and it was free. I would probably not be willing to put it on a brand new nd though

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

the manual transmission is archaic technology...I find it hard to understand why anyone would want one. If you're willing to live with all the electronic nannies that come in the club and the GT why would you tolerate an old fashioned, outdated technology? Somehow folks have the idea that any of these models will perform differently from one another-I doubt it. Of course-to each their own.

lol are you quoting mnet again?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

lol are you quoting mnet again?

Has to be. It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You like shifting ancient tractor transmissions? To each his own, I guess. Mazda should have used the ultra modern Powerglide in Miatas :colbert: