Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

Of course, by the same token, you can see that 1080p streaming from netflix is a dollar less than MDU, and the SD another dollar less, and even the SD stream's bandwidth is going to be greater than comics. So, you know, maybe bandwidth costs aren't really a compelling argument here.

Netflix has around 65 million subscribers and it's primary focus is streaming digital video content. I would be impressed if Marvel Unlimited had even 100k subscribers between all platforms. But you know, they are comparable services right?

I don't think anyone is arguing that MU shouldn't have HD comics, just that there might be reasons other than they don't feel like it behind why they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Really I want a miracle to happen, and all the Marvel/DC rights get bought up by the best nonprofit ever and everybody gets to write comics using those characters and the writers and artists get all the money and distribution isn't handled by two ancient titans, and we all skip happily through the rainbows into a utopia of comics together, and I am annoyed when reality falls short and business interests come into play.

Senor Candle posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that MU shouldn't have HD comics, just that there might be reasons other than they don't feel like it behind why they don't.

My first post was specifically because somebody appeared to be saying how absurd it was to want MU to give people HD Marvel comics, but yeah nobody seems to be arguing that at this point.

Instead they just wanted to poke holes in the fantastical enchanted dreamland of digital comics with their practicality. :smith:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I don't actually recall having quality issues when zooming in. Are you reading streamed issues, or ones you've downloaded for offline viewing?

I've been using MU since December and I see JPG artifacts all the time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Marvel should make every back issue 99 cents.

Especially the recently added Alias.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Marvel should make every back issue 99 cents.

Especially the recently added Alias.

Eh, just wait till it's added to Netflix. They'll run a sale on it then.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Not to add to the pile of poo poo that is the MU conversation, but that app and service is junk. Sure, they have a poo poo ton of comics, but they are a a pain in the rear end to read. There's no good way to organize your reading lists, half the time pages would stop loading and I would have to reload the book, and the HD thing, while minor, is annoying at times. Oh, and their guided view is next to unusable as it cuts off text frequently.

Not only did I recently cancel my subscription, but it has also soured me in buying Marvel books in general. I will probably finish out the main Secret Wars book and avoid Marvel altogether.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
It looks like Marvel finally got their poo poo together and are releasing digital books at the same time as DC's, I just got my sub notifications for Ms Marvel and American Vampire at the same time, and all of this week's book can be purchased on Comixology, even if they don't appear on the front page.

I didn't have any Marvel sub last week so it could be old news but that's pretty nice.

Completely unrelated but I recently tried the CBR reader Chunky Comic Reader and it might be the best one I've tried yet. I typically use these for all that Humble Bundle stuff I hoard and it's pretty convenient to be able to download the books from the app. It doesn't aim to do what ComicRack does with its library and reading list management but it works great as a versatile CBR reader when you want to pick a book on the spot. It's the only one I've found that allows to define isolated books as manga and lets you use landscape to always have two pages displayed.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Since a few days ago, every time I open the Comixology app on my iPad, it asks for my login information. Anyone else run into this problem?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cheap Trick posted:

Since a few days ago, every time I open the Comixology app on my iPad, it asks for my login information. Anyone else run into this problem?

Same thing for my iphone, but not my iPad. It is weird

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. It'll usually auto-log me in fine if I quit and reopen the app, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There are now free Spider-Man comics on the Marvel Kids section.
http://www.marvelkids.com/comics

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup. It'll usually auto-log me in fine if I quit and reopen the app, though.

That worked for me too, nice tip. Thanks!

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Free copy of Superior Ironman #1 with code: SUPERIOR.
Details here: https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/629665303325085696

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Gillen-and-McKelvie-Sale/page/7681?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
The Wicked + The Divine 1-11, vol.1-2
Phonogram + The Singles Club

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Just a reminder that both The Wicked + The Divine and The Phonogram Vol. 1 are included in the current Humble Book bundle.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone that was on the fence at all about the Gillen and McKelvie books should absolutely get them, I'm half tempted to delete the single WikDiv issues and get the two collected editions.

Aspen has a line wide using the promo code "Aspen" for half off. Kinda tempted to get Charismagic as I read issue one, or a preview, a while ago and thought it was good, and for all it's silliness I enjoyed the Executive Assistant books. Is there anything else worth picking up?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some Fantastic Four stuff is currently on sale. BOOKS OF DOOM :doom: :gaz: is currently $3.99 so now you have no excuse for not having it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

Some Fantastic Four stuff is currently on sale. BOOKS OF DOOM :doom: :gaz: is currently $3.99 so now you have no excuse for not having it.

Thanks for the heads up. Def gonna snag that.

Also, get Singles Club for sure. I'm not totally in love with Phonogram vol 1 but vol 2 is fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I read The Wicked + The Divine Vol 1 yesterday and thought it was loving great.

I read Vol 2 this morning and holy loving poo poo I need to immediately switch to single issues because gently caress waiting for Vol 3.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Bombshells-Sale/page/7727?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw&list7782_pg=2

N52 Batwoman, 2010 Zatanna, 1982 Supergirl and a pile of Ame-comi stuff.

Seems to be a problem right now. Everything's at regular price.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The sale shouldn't be up for another three hours so someone goofed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Image has the first volume of Morning Glories for free today. Is that series any good, looks like yet another special person academy story to me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When is a good time to stop reading N52 Batwoman?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

When is a good time to stop reading N52 Batwoman?

24 is the last JH Williams III issue before he was abruptly removed. I think 21 is the ending of the previous arc and a good stopping point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember Annual #1 doing a decent job of going back and wrapping their story. I'd say go all the way to #24 and then that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been tossing around buying that for months. On the one hand, it wraps up the arc. On the other hand, gently caress you, DC! I'll probably get a used copy sometime.

(Though they're back in my good graces with Batgirl and Black Canary.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Kind of a shame collected editions aren't on sales.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the X Files comics any good? Also is this continuity getting Star Wars Legneded with the new X Files project coming up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

Are the X Files comics any good? Also is this continuity getting Star Wars Legneded with the new X Files project coming up?

I expect that will be the case. They might take some ideas from the comics that they like, but will not expect anyone to have read it.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

zoux posted:

Image has the first volume of Morning Glories for free today. Is that series any good, looks like yet another special person academy story to me.

If you can get the first volume free you may as well grab it, I've enjoyed the series so far but it is very weird, kind of like the middle of Lost. It's also hard to explain anything that's going on with the series on two fronts, just basic strangeness and the old chestnut of any decent explanation being kind of spoilery.

I'm also wondering if the X-files or Robocop books are any good.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 12, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Humble D&D Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Does this include the humor comics that people love?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uthor posted:

Humble D&D Bundle

Sweet bundle, definitely jumping on that.

And yes it has John Rogers' D&D from 2011 which is funny and awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not so much humour as that they capture the occasional dark comedy/goofiness that happens during actual D&D sessions, rather than just being cookie-cutter high fantasy. And yes, I believe that is the John Rogers book, which seems to have all the trades in the base level of the bundle.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Buy that in a second if I didn't own it all on Comixology.

Except Exile which is released next week digitally. They are way slow on rereleasing the DDP Drizzt stuff.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

Happened to be reading this thread and noticed this was still free and it's kind of a mind gently caress so far. :stare: It's certainly got me interested.

Anime_Otaku posted:

If you can get the first volume free you may as well grab it, I've enjoyed the series so far but it is very weird, kind of like the middle of Lost. It's also hard to explain anything that's going on with the series on two fronts, just basic strangeness and the old chestnut of any decent explanation being kind of spoilery.
Yeah, it's really strange and while I'm sure I know the basics of what's happening and why, the details. :psyduck: I think I'm gonna grab at least the next volume.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw on the front page, Kyle Baker's Why I Hate Saturn is on Comixology
https://www.comixology.com/Why-I-Hate-Saturn-1/digital-comic/257204?ref=cGFnZS92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvbGlzdDc4MjU

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 14, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Humble D&D Bundle

The files on the three John Rogers volumes are all over the place. For some reason, the PDF (HQ) file size for volume 2 is 5-6 times the size of volumes 1 and 3.

For the CBZs, volume 2 is smaller than volume 1 while volume 3 is half the size of the other two.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Archer & Armstrong sale!

https://www.comixology.com/Archer-Armstrong-Sale/page/7768

For the new series, I read and enjoyed through ~16 from an earlier sale. I want to finish out the run, but should I get the Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps crossover issues? I don't currently read any other Valiant series and like the Valiant books enough to buy on sale, but not read ongoing.

VVV edit: thanks. Yeah, realized afterward that they sidebarred the number of each issue in the crossover storyline on the covers, so that was a pretty good indicator.

So, out of curiousity, if I get Archer & Armstrong to 25 and the crossover issues (plus the one-shot), does that feel like a "complete" story? Is that the end of Van Lente's run?

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The crossover issues are pretty vital to the story, so yeah, get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

onefish posted:

Archer & Armstrong sale!

https://www.comixology.com/Archer-Armstrong-Sale/page/7768

For the new series, I read and enjoyed through ~16 from an earlier sale. I want to finish out the run, but should I get the Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps crossover issues? I don't currently read any other Valiant series and like the Valiant books enough to buy on sale, but not read ongoing.

VVV edit: thanks. Yeah, realized afterward that they sidebarred the number of each issue in the crossover storyline on the covers, so that was a pretty good indicator.

So, out of curiousity, if I get Archer & Armstrong to 25 and the crossover issues (plus the one-shot), does that feel like a "complete" story? Is that the end of Van Lente's run?

You probably want to get Delinquents as well. And maybe even Ivar, Timewalker. There's also a new volume for Archer and Armstrong coming soon. And there's three one shots, Archer and Armstrong #0, Archer #0 and The One Percent #1.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 14, 2015