Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm just hitting my head against the wall with the hardmode bosses. I've made a full Adamantine suit and have a clockwork assault rifle and that cool ice yoyo, but the Twins and the Destroyer tend to kill me within 30 seconds. I feel like I'm not dishing out enough damage. What weapons do people go for when getting settled into hardmode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
use holy arrows on destroyer, win. Make megashark with crystal bullets, win against the other two.
Meetyourdemize's videos of his low tier gear victories against them helped.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Awful Sandwich posted:

I feel like I'm just hitting my head against the wall with the hardmode bosses. I've made a full Adamantine suit and have a clockwork assault rifle and that cool ice yoyo, but the Twins and the Destroyer tend to kill me within 30 seconds. I feel like I'm not dishing out enough damage. What weapons do people go for when getting settled into hardmode?

What kind of arena are you fighting in?

If you're not already, I would suggest preparing one that has at least couple campfires and heart lanterns, as well as a honey pit (preferably made out of bubble blocks) to dive in every so often to get a bunch of health regen effects going.

Also for at least the Twins it really helps to have some smallish vertical and horizontal walls that you can line them up behind (their movements are very predictable at certain points) in order to block some of their ranged attacks. On the Destroyer it really helps to be just about right in terms of far up enough off the ground so that he isn't wrapping himself around you and coming at you from difficult to dodge angles. Also once again having some walls you can dodge around to avoid lasers from probes can really help.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Twins are trivial with a Megashark, sufficient decent ammo (crystal or cursed are both fine), and a few gravitation potions ... provided you haven't poo poo up the sky everywhere with buildings.

Just summon the twins, run to full speed with your speed boots, then pop your gravitation potion and just cheese it by popping around in sine waves up and down across your map. If you get to the edge of the map, just go back the other way. Repeat until they die. They basically can't catch you.

It's cheesy and somewhat tedious but super super effective.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Oh yeah, since I've been inadvertently giving my whiny list of "I wishes" regarding Terraria, I also wish the ores were easier to tell apart when seeing them. I still, after tons of playtime, have a difficulty telling lead from platinum from mythril from adamantite etc.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

flowinprose posted:

Also for at least the Twins it really helps to have some smallish vertical and horizontal walls that you can line them up behind (their movements are very predictable at certain points) in order to block some of their ranged attacks. On the Destroyer it really helps to be just about right in terms of far up enough off the ground so that he isn't wrapping himself around you and coming at you from difficult to dodge angles. Also once again having some walls you can dodge around to avoid lasers from probes can really help.

Thanks! My current arena is a messy 10-12 stories of wood platforms and campfires, so I guess I'll try and build a large and proper one off the ground. Maybe a skybridge/highway as well. I appreciate the tips!

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Just got a corruption key dropping giving me the Scourge of the Corruptor. drat that thing rocks. Totally trivialised the dungeon and I bagged myself a sniper rifle and tactical shotgun. On to Duke Fishron now I guess.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Welp my old hard drive bit the dust, steam was on my other drive but the Terraria saves were on the windows drive I guess :( Last cloud save was from a month ago when I disabled it for a performance increase, didn't think that would come back to bite me in the rear end. Hopefully chkdsk will be able to recover stuff but I dunno. If not I might start from scratch on expert, though from what I've tried so far it seems like a real pain in the rear end and not that fun... we'll see.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VineST posted:

i'm sure if you teleport the witch doctor to the jungle he'll sell jungle stuff. doesn't have to actually live there. same with steampunker for solutions and such

Just put him in a corner room in your base and put some mud nearby with jungle grass seed. When you walk over to him you'll be in a jungle biome. Do the same for the shroom dude. My last game's base was small enough to fit on my screen (1920x1200) and the leftside had mushroom biome while the right was jungle.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Any tips on the Frost Moon event? Even with endgame gear and all the buffs I'm having trouble reaching wave 15. I can max out the pumpkin moon easily, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GodspeedSphere posted:

Any tips on the Frost Moon event? Even with endgame gear and all the buffs I'm having trouble reaching wave 15. I can max out the pumpkin moon easily, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Traps. Lava. Minions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

President Ark posted:

There's basically nothing of consequence in the jungle above that point anyway.

It ruined my nice Jungle fishing hut I made, the Witch Doctor even moved out because of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So far I love the Arkhalis sword and I wish there were more powerful variants of it for when I go into hardmode.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Asciana posted:

Just got a corruption key dropping giving me the Scourge of the Corruptor. drat that thing rocks. Totally trivialised the dungeon and I bagged myself a sniper rifle and tactical shotgun. On to Duke Fishron now I guess.

The Scourge is great, and even now (having reached Moon Lord gear) I use it as my weapon of choice when I'm fighting random enemies.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

after 10 hours of crunching chkdsk has restored my save data :woop: upon which I learn that I have over 110 hours played on my main character goddamn

not even counting the full playthrough back in 1.1

Poohat666
Jun 15, 2011

Believe for free!!!
How to get biome keys? They are impossible to get.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Poohat666 posted:

How to get biome keys? They are impossible to get.

Fight enemies in the corresponding biome multiple times, after you defeat plantera once, until it drops. It helps if you are looking for something else as well. I somehow had 2 jungle keys drop before enough turtle shells dropped for the turtle armor.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think it's kind of an unwritten rule that if you spend a bunch of time setting up an elaborate afk farm for a certain item, it will drop before you finish setting up

and if not, well, at least you can farm it easier

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
The keys can drop before you fight Plantera. You just can't actually use them until you beat it.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Will the Groom only spawn if your character is male? I've had about six brides show up so far and not a single groom yet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've managed to somehow lose my money trough. Is there any way to increase the likelihood of or induce a blood moon? Without any hacks/editing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

kvx687 posted:

Will the Groom only spawn if your character is male? I've had about six brides show up so far and not a single groom yet.

I'm using a guy, my own money trough drop was a lucky at the buzzer before the blood moon ended enemy spawn, kill, and drop during normal.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

kvx687 posted:

I've had grooms spawn and I play a female character.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kvx687 posted:

Both Grooms and Brides will spawn regardless of your character's gender.

The first two Blood Moons I got in 1.3 I only had Brides show up, and then on the third I had two Grooms in quick succession, as in as soon as the first was killed a second showed up. The RNG gods are fickle and capricious.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I made the most retarded build. A pure melee DPS build.

Beetle scale mail armor set on, mechanical/power/fire gloves (all accessories with violent modifier), feral claws, celestial shell AND stone, if the effects stack on those two. Fetid Baghnakhs with the Light modifier. 6,600~ damage per second, range so lovely that it can only hit a slime if they jump into the claws.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

it might actually be possible to out-DPS that with the terrarian but i'm not quite sure

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

VineST posted:

it might actually be possible to out-DPS that with the terrarian but i'm not quite sure

I'll test that out right now, and edit this post with the results.

..Ok, what in the hell? When I throw the yo-yo with all this poo poo on, it just comes out as an infinite line for less than a second, then disappears.

Update; Er..It seems I have to be standing at a fixed distance to hit anything with it..Here's two screenshots detailing that. Also, it only hits once, then poofs away.

Won't hit here

But it hits here

I think this is because weapons like yo-yos or flails, instead of gaining more DPS, might gain more length..or something. But that'd be dumb, so that's probably what it is.

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speaking of melee is the fire gauntlet a good idea or should I stay with the mechanical glove?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I doubt that the fire damage makes up for the loss but I also doubt that it's a noticable difference and the fire gauntlet looks cooler.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If nothing else, the fire effect provides a lot of extra light when you're using projectile spam melee weapons like scourge or vamp knives (I assume)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Also if you have the slot to spare, the mechanical glove and the fire gauntlet stack with each other.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Obviously the best combo is fire glove + ice armor + cursed vial so your melee attacks are as colourful as possible

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I've got my Scourge of the Corruptor up to about 118 damage using the Solar Flare Armor and various emblems. I'm sure it's not optimal damage but it's certainly good enough for just messing about. For bosses Moon Lord I use the S.D.M.G. with Chlorophyte bullets. I still use the Solar Flare Armor for the survivability it provides.

The ultra-DPS melee stuff is fun but it'd drive me nuts getting hit all of the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think there's any feeling worse than accidentally throwing a bomb inside your house and having to watch it explode on top of all your stuff.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think there's any feeling worse than accidentally throwing a bomb inside your house and having to watch it explode on top of all your stuff.

You can Alt+F4 before it explodes and it won't have destroyed anything when you reload.

Doesn't help if you don't notice it until it actually explodes though. :v:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Dynamite. Or accidental Rocket IV.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
That first moment you realize sticky dynamite doesn't pass through platforms, one second too late.

"Hey, where did they dynamite Go? Oh gently caress-:supaburn:"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress is the deal with Duke Fishron? Golem was a complete pushover and but Fishron is a huge rear end in a top hat. I'm buffing myself with as many potions as I can and still can't beat him. Dodging his dash and bubbles would be hard enough. I mean even with the ninja gear I'm barely able to pull it off most of the time. Its just that on top of that he's spawning a ton of tornados and flying sharks and gently caress how am I supposed to dodge all this crap and still deal damage???

He feels like 10x harder than any other boss I've fought.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Golem is kind of a speedbump, if you can handle Plantera you should have no problem with Golem, but yeah Fishron is a big jump in difficulty because he chases fast as poo poo and you can't cheese it by running massive distances on a skybridge or something since you gotta keep him near the ocean, which means it's time to learn how to kite vertically

It takes some practice but I found it doable pretty safely with the UFO mount and a speed potion once I got good, more potions of course gives more margin for error. Basically just doing big loops, kiting diagonally lets you get distance faster, then slow down a bit when he's doing attacks so you can get some damage in. Homing weapons are your friend though so you can focus on kiting and dodging instead of aiming.

This was on normal difficulty though idk about expert. the basic method works pretty well on Moon Lord also though

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That is because he is.

It took a long time to figure out how to beat him but even now it's not a sure thing.
Here's what's worked for me
1.) Fishron is a boss that is actually more skill based than others - his lunges and other attacks have a degree of predictability, and it is impossible to make a build with pre moon lord gear at least that will make it not a threat, and no gear gives you enough speed to simply outrun him like the twins, you will have to practice to learn how to dodge it. I mean several people gave some ideas for builds they said would make him a non issue but none of them worked for me. So make practicing easier on yourself by making a teleporter to the ocean instead of having to trek out there every time, and get a big glut of worms too.
2.) It was a suggested to make an asphalt road to fight him on. This doesn't work because the sharknados make huge roadblocks. Neither did an attempt of mine to set up a system of teleporters to fight him with. Maybe there's a way to make that work, I do consider myself a weak player. Otherwise, you'll need to have a proper arena that will allow for vertical dodging OR the flying saucer.
3.) The ninja gear from the dungeon gives you a double tap dash that works even when you're jumping or falling. It helped me a lot. Other accessories included what I think of as the cheesing type: Charm of Myths to allow for potion chugging if you can hold out long enough, cross necklace to cut damage down a bit, maybe a couple others that raise defence.
4.) You probably will not be able to concentrate on aiming and dodging at the same time, and you will be dodging. Either make chlorophyte bullets(With a tactical shotgun is what worked for me), use a homing melee weapon, or some kind of homing spell. The last one I've never quite been sucessful with except with nebula weapons I think, I'm not great at mana management or mage builds.
(also farming clorophyte is something that looks like it will suck but is actually easy and fun when you try it)
5.) The ninja gear also gives you a % chance to dodge attacks, and so does the titanium armor. Using those might help if you get hit a lot.

As always I recommend watching the meetyourdemize and yrmir videos, they recommend tactics that for the most part do not require extremely rare drop items for the most part, though tactical shotgun is something you'll have to dungeon farm for.