Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As I understand it, Windows Bridge (which Astoria is part of) is there to directly port to Windows, but just happens to let you use the same basic code base as Android when you do, which Google can't just go ahead and screw over; Bridge tells you straight up which bits of code you need to change, including links to Google Play, which according to this video appears to be a pretty simple process to hook the app into Microsoft's services rather than Google's. Apps ported using Bridge aren't going to be Android apps running on Windows, they're going to be Windows apps which just happened to start life as Android apps and which Microsoft has made blindingly simple to port over.

Anyhoo, I went ahead and installed the insider preview of W10 Mobile, and it's good! A lot of the stock apps like Weather and Outlook look a lot nicer and are much smoother to navigate through (I will shed no tears for the death of the lumbering, awful tabs of 8.1), the interface is mostly the same with a lot of fat trimmed and major changes in UI are generally for the better. The home screen defaulted to the 8.1 look of a background image seen through completely transparent tiles, so I didn't even need to worry about the fact that I wasn't totally enamoured with the new 10 look of semi-transparent tiles.

My only major gripe right now is that Edge doesn't do as good a job of whipping up tiles (static or live) for webpages as IE did, but maybe that'll be fixed in a later build. Battery seems fine, so I've personally got no reason to go back to 8.1, although watch me do a complete about face tomorrow when something unexpected hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Is there a dark theme in Outlook Mobile and for the Cortana cards?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr Funkface posted:

I'm not totally au fait with the mechanics so a somewhat ignorant question: doesn't the reliance on Project Astoria mean if that ever breaks all your Android apps break? Perhaps a little paranoid (android ha!) and fearmongery but it's not like MS has been on top of its game when it comes to ongoing support without sudden deprecation for no apparent reason.

Otherwise kinda cute I guess - it'd be nice to have a BofA app back, and to not be late to the party in the latest social phenomenon.

Fake edit: Android Wear?

This is a little trollish, or ill-informed. Microsoft has actually done a pretty good job over the years of maintaining backwards compatibility. Go fire up a Win32 app written 15 years ago for Windows NT. Chances are it mostly still works. If it doesn't muck around with a lot of UI elements, it probably still works just fine. One of the biggest problems Microsoft has had is that there have been numerous things they've wanted to fix, but application developers ended up using broken functionality in odd and sometimes clever ways, so updated DLLs had to support old, broken ways of doing things as well as newer, better ways.

They haven't been perfect, but they've hardly been nefarious.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

This is a little trollish, or ill-informed. Microsoft has actually done a pretty good job over the years of maintaining backwards compatibility. Go fire up a Win32 app written 15 years ago for Windows NT. Chances are it mostly still works. If it doesn't muck around with a lot of UI elements, it probably still works just fine. One of the biggest problems Microsoft has had is that there have been numerous things they've wanted to fix, but application developers ended up using broken functionality in odd and sometimes clever ways, so updated DLLs had to support old, broken ways of doing things as well as newer, better ways.

They haven't been perfect, but they've hardly been nefarious.

Well I did precede with "so a somewhat ignorant question" and "perhaps a little paranoid fearmongery" but I appreciate your concern.

Being a Windows Phone discussion I wasn't really commenting on Win32, NT, desktops, etc. I am specifically referring to recent UI/UX element changes and slow dissolution of the great differentiators, the 7.0/7.8 to 8.0 clusterfuck. You can even extend this to alienating non-Nokia manufacturers then pissing on that fire - I think it's hard to defend MS's reliability and consistency in the mobile world. But this has been talked and complained about to death, and I think the discussion's moved on:

MrBond posted:

AFAIK it's not any different to Google than forked android, so probably just move more things under Google Play services than ever.

Oh joy!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

loquacius posted:

As I understand it, this thing is just a quick fix to make an APK run on Windows. The porting tools to turn iOS apps into universal apps also exist for Android (but are not finished yet); those just take more programming effort to actually make them work (although theoretically still not much). The APK hack is just the :effort: solution and not the one they're generally encouraging people to use.

I'm probably misunderstanding, but the way I understand you now is that there are two ways to get Android apps on WP? An APK hack and project Astoria? :confused:

Drastic Actions posted:

Normal users would never side load apps like this sort. They would download the apps directly from the store, which should always work.

It's going to be interesting to see how many apps get ported and if developers will keep supporting them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mr Funkface posted:

Well I did precede with "so a somewhat ignorant question" and "perhaps a little paranoid fearmongery" but I appreciate your concern.

Being a Windows Phone discussion I wasn't really commenting on Win32, NT, desktops, etc. I am specifically referring to recent UI/UX element changes and slow dissolution of the great differentiators, the 7.0/7.8 to 8.0 clusterfuck. You can even extend this to alienating non-Nokia manufacturers then pissing on that fire - I think it's hard to defend MS's reliability and consistency in the mobile world. But this has been talked and complained about to death, and I think the discussion's moved on:

This is a very fair counterpoint, particularly when considering mobile.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Project Astoria doesn't include Google Play Services APIs. Android devs would either have to disable those parts of the app or retarget them to Astoria APIs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I'm probably misunderstanding, but the way I understand you now is that there are two ways to get Android apps on WP? An APK hack and project Astoria? :confused:

I think so, yeah. One is a way for developers to port apps to WP easily, one is a way to sideload APKs to a WP phone and just run them as-is, and both of them technically fall under the "project Astoria" umbrella but they obviously want developers to use the former wherever possible and as such aren't really gonna advertise the latter. Right now it's being covered mostly as a thing powerusers with unlocked phones can do independently if they want.

e: according to Windows Central's story the sideloading method isn't exactly "legal" per se since the only good way to get an APK in the first place is by pirating it

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Will apps converted using Astoria just straight up not work if they include Google Play services, or will they just not be eligible to go in the Store but still basically run otherwise (and possibly wig out if the Play services are accessed)? If I can get the HD Sonic 1/2 apps running then I would be the happiest man on earth.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Will apps converted using Astoria just straight up not work if they include Google Play services, or will they just not be eligible to go in the Store but still basically run otherwise (and possibly wig out if the Play services are accessed)? If I can get the HD Sonic 1/2 apps running then I would be the happiest man on earth.

Won't work. The app would request some google service API, app would then tell you "Hey, I need to go to the Google Play Store and get the required files!" and then fail because, of course, you don't have that.

The developer has to update the app to support Windows, just like how someone who wants to make an app for Amazon's FireOS would. How complex it is to port is mostly dependent on how tied to Google the app is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll burst laughing the day some guy gets to port the android youtube app to WP hacking its integration with Google API just because some people are like that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I really hope someone does, but until then we have Metrotube.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I really hope someone does, but until then we have Metrotube.

metrotube and mytube are better anyways.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like TubeCast myself. WP is not short on decent Youtube apps.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I mainly want someone to steal the YouTube app because of the awful antitrust-level poo poo Google pulled with the original. I swear the app should have just downloaded a new API key for each phone on start and faked its user agent string to be some Android / iOS version.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
So, the Facebook app has started crashing/quitting every time I try and view the Most Recent feed. 925, 8.1.

Just me?

ETA: have obviously tried reinstall/restart.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 12, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What are people's thoughts on Groove vs Spotify vs Rdio vs MixRadio? I'm currently using Pandora for my In car music streaming needs but it has a much smaller song collection than those others. I don't mind the radio station style that Pandora has, though creating my own playlists would be neat too. I do care very much about audio quality. (unfortunately Tidal isn't available on Windows phone, and I'll likely be switching to that when I leave the platform)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

What are people's thoughts on Groove vs Spotify vs Rdio vs MixRadio? I'm currently using Pandora for my In car music streaming needs but it has a much smaller song collection than those others. I don't mind the radio station style that Pandora has, though creating my own playlists would be neat too. I do care very much about audio quality. (unfortunately Tidal isn't available on Windows phone, and I'll likely be switching to that when I leave the platform)

I'm a fan of MixRadio. It does what I need it to do, without adverts, and through my headphones the audio quality seems perfectly reasonable. Sometimes you have to reselect the playlist via the menus, rather than just tapping it on the home screen of MixRadio; this, as far as I can tell, is related to the playlist needing to refresh when it's been updated.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

the awful antitrust-level poo poo Google pulled with the original

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away, it's not like they did anything seriously anti-competitive like, I dunno, bundle a browser with an operating system

OH WAIT

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How are you meant to get another browser without one being built-in in the first place?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How are you meant to get another browser without one being built-in in the first place?

A cover CD from a computer magazine, duh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think what the EU made Microsoft do was put a shortcut on the Desktop that linked you to the homepage of your choice of competing browser, and thank GOD they did that, right???

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

I think what the EU made Microsoft do was put a shortcut on the Desktop that linked you to the homepage of your choice of competing browser, and thank GOD they did that, right???

No, they actually had a dialogue during the install process that listed all the major browsers, in random order along with an advertising blurb for each one, and forced users to choose one to be installed as their default browser. that's why the EU had separate editions of windows for several years.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

No, they actually had a dialogue during the install process that listed all the major browsers, in random order along with an advertising blurb for each one, and forced users to choose one to be installed as their default browser. that's why the EU had separate editions of windows for several years.

It was hilariously bad. Every browser featured a little blurb mentioning how great of a browser it was...every browser except IE. The IE blurb just said "Internet Browser". They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

loquacius posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away, it's not like they did anything seriously anti-competitive like, I dunno, bundle a browser with an operating system

OH WAIT
You're right! That's just like Android and Chromebooks! :v:

EU is currently sizing up Android for it's anti competitive nature and it's going to be really interesting to see what will happen. From what I understand all manufacturers that want access to the playstore are by contract obligated to put google products on the front page and other prominent positions. It makes me wonder what would've happened if Samsung would've been allowed to put their own stuff (no matter how terrible some of it was) on the prime real estate.

I wonder how long it's going to be before the EU also starts targeting Microsoft again since Windows 10 seems to undo the browser bit. I'm a little confused, does Media player still exist?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

So, the Facebook app has started crashing/quitting every time I try and view the Most Recent feed. 925, 8.1.

Just me?

Just you, or maybe I'm lucky.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Darth TNT posted:

They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

Ha, they probably weren't even allowed to I bet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm in the UK and I've installed every release of Windows since XP and I have not once been asked which browser I wanted to use; IE came as standard. Is it different for the UK?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm in the UK and I've installed every release of Windows since XP and I have not once been asked which browser I wanted to use; IE came as standard. Is it different for the UK?

Depends on when and how you installed, likely if you had left IE as the default you would have in due time gotten a question about what browser you wanted to run. If you got a European retail copy I think it would ask you immediately, but stuff like OEM installs just got the ballot "eventually" over Windows Update.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The controversy was largely confined to continental Europe as far as I can recall - I'm not sure if the UK got the Euro version of Windows

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

It was hilariously bad. Every browser featured a little blurb mentioning how great of a browser it was...every browser except IE. The IE blurb just said "Internet Browser". They couldn't even be arsed to create a sales pitch for IE.

You're right! That's just like Android and Chromebooks! :v:

EU is currently sizing up Android for it's anti competitive nature and it's going to be really interesting to see what will happen. From what I understand all manufacturers that want access to the playstore are by contract obligated to put google products on the front page and other prominent positions. It makes me wonder what would've happened if Samsung would've been allowed to put their own stuff (no matter how terrible some of it was) on the prime real estate.

I wonder how long it's going to be before the EU also starts targeting Microsoft again since Windows 10 seems to undo the browser bit. I'm a little confused, does Media player still exist?

Google is currently in the opening stages of what looks like at the very least a long if not expensive fight over multiple technologies not just android but also including its core search platform. Here is an article about the current state of some of it: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-08-06/google-s-6-billion-miscalculation-on-the-eu?cmpid=BBD080615_BIZ

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Just you, or maybe I'm lucky.

I feared as much. The FB Beta app works fine, weirdly. Soft reset time, maybe.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Jeherrin posted:

I'm a fan of MixRadio. It does what I need it to do, without adverts, and through my headphones the audio quality seems perfectly reasonable. Sometimes you have to reselect the playlist via the menus, rather than just tapping it on the home screen of MixRadio; this, as far as I can tell, is related to the playlist needing to refresh when it's been updated.

I started up MixRadio just once to see how it worked. For some reason it decided that I would really like Dolly Parton, and it changed it's tile to a Dolly Parton album picture. So now I have a picture of Dolly Parton on my home screen that I can't figure out how to get rid of.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

The Lord Bude posted:

Purchase or steal your music at your preferred quality, put it into OneDrive, then use an app that streams out of OneDrive to listen to it anywhere. There is now more than 1 app that can do this :)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Jeherrin posted:

Just me?

I have it too, 920 running 8.1. Just started a few days ago. I haven't bothered troubleshooting.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/12/announcing-windows-10-mobile-insider-preview-build10512/

Anyone want to post a trip report?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I have it too, 920 running 8.1. Just started a few days ago. I haven't bothered troubleshooting.

drat.

Soft reset did gently caress all.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

UWP apps will now download from the store with this build. Meaning if you install this build and install Awful Forums Reader (which is now a UWP app) you'll get the 10 version instead of 8.1. Note that you have to uninstall the 8.1 version if you already have it, it won't overwrite it. So right there that's awesome. And I can start deploying apps from Visual Studio to my actual device again. Which is also sweet.

I would say, in the brief amount of time I've used it, it is an improvement. Seems more stable than the last build. The UI is still a bit weird and I get some glitches on my 1520 but each new build fixes more of them, so it's again better than before.

Like the other previews, you should probably not install this on your main phone. But they are making progress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
During the update, I used my 930 as a hot plate for some scrambled eggs.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

During the update, I used my 930 as a hot plate for some scrambled eggs.

I had to put it on top of an AC unit, because if I didn't it would crap out half way through it forcing me to hard reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can confirm that all versions of windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 I've used on my PC had the browser selection thing (:spain:). It was a dumb thing to do but hey, EU laws and poo poo. Now that I'm using Windows 10 I'm loving Edge but I only use it for Twitch and a few things until they release adblock addons and that stuff.