Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Esroc posted:

Not really an irrationally irritating thing but I'm binging Rescue Me on Netflix and on at least two occasions so far the character Lou has called the character Tommy "Denis", who is played by Denis Leary. That's usually the kind of mistake that gets edited out and I don't think I've ever seen a show or movie before where an actor called another actor by their real name and it got left in, much less twice.

On that note, Rescue Me is really not a show that lends itself to a binge-watch very well. Not that they had any way of knowing binging would become a thing while filming it. The "shocking" deaths come way too often and probably would've had more impact if you had to wait a week or more between episodes. Rescue Me is almost like Game of Thrones in regards to killing off characters but manages to make it feel really forced and instead of worrying about the well-being of your favorite characters like GoT manages to pull off I can't help but watch Rescue Me and wonder "which random character is going to die this episode?".

And there's a ton of inconsistencies like the ages of characters and even the existence of whole characters that would probably be less noticeable if I weren't watching huge chunks of the show back-to-back.

It's still great TV but it's made me wonder if television developers these days take into consideration how binge-watching will affect their show. Most Netflix Originals, like Orange is the New Black and Sense8, seem to hold up really well being marathoned all over a weekend and I wonder if that's intentional or just luck.

"I'm using internet search provider Bing to watch television. I use Bing as a verb." What part of my brain do I need to stab to not read binge in the inflected verb form as this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm watching the first episode of Ascension. It seems awfully dangerous and not at all conducive to the long term survival of the human species to maintain rigidly kept social classes on board what is perhaps the last chance for mankind's survival. Because that has never lead to strife in the past. It does make for interesting and diverse set pieces and varied wardrobes, though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Esroc posted:

It's still great TV but it's made me wonder if television developers these days take into consideration how binge-watching will affect their show. Most Netflix Originals, like Orange is the New Black and Sense8, seem to hold up really well being marathoned all over a weekend and I wonder if that's intentional or just luck.

Don't forget that unlike literally everybody else in entertainment, Netflix dumps a whole season at a time. They know what they're doing. They have tons of metrics to track what users are watching and how, at this point they probably have a far more accurate view of viewer preferences than any cable channel having to go off Nielsen ratings.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Frostwerks posted:

I'm watching the first episode of Ascension. It seems awfully dangerous and not at all conducive to the long term survival of the human species to maintain rigidly kept social classes on board what is perhaps the last chance for mankind's survival. Because that has never lead to strife in the past. It does make for interesting and diverse set pieces and varied wardrobes, though?

Boy are you in for a surprise.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Not so much irritating as just really dumb. In the opening scene of The Devil's Advocate, a courtroom listens silently as a young girl describes her sexual molestation at the hands of her math teacher. In the next courtroom scene, Keanu Reaves dances around the kid with legal fancy-footwork and makes her out to be a liar. That's all fine, but from the very beginning of the scene the audience in the courtroom gasp and whisper in disgust. This doesn't happen when Keanu alleges she is lying, it happens as soon as he alleges that she might have been kept behind for bad behaviour, then again when it becomes clear she passed a note in class. It's so loving dumb.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Polaron posted:

Boy are you in for a surprise.

..the spirit of communism prevails? I don't know if that is the preferable alternative.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm up to season 2 episode 5 of Hannibal and I think I might need a break soon. I severely doubt any home freezer could pull that sort of thing off in the given timespan, but more than that, where would you even get all those plexiglass sheets on such short notice?

Also, same episode, they deck Will out in the full straightjacket/mask/cart regalia, wheel him to the crimescene, then Jack lets him out. The crime scene is up a set of curved stairs. That's just being a dick to the orderlies on purpose. I like all the references to familiar scenes and elements of the films, but that particular one was forced and overdone. That episode just wasn't very good as a whole.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You kind of just have to ignore the logistics of how anyone sets up their murder tableaux because it never makes sense.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hannibal is pretty great but yeah don't think too hard at it. The answer to every "but why does..." is always magic. Or just because. Or maybe because it's a cooler story and presentation than if it were a real-life police procedural.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

muscles like this? posted:

You kind of just have to ignore the logistics of how anyone sets up their murder tableaux because it never makes sense.

Yeah, I think of Hannibal as taking place in a sort of heightened, magical-realism universe. Logic and the limits of space-time can be skirted around as long as it benefits aesthetics, themes, or storytelling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For the plexiglass I'm now imagining a deleted scene that takes place in a Home Depot and is a 1:1 recreation of the "stay out of my territory" one in Breaking Bad.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
In Pacific Rim the Russian robot is called Cherno Alpha. Chernobyl isn't in Russia!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

In Pacific Rim the Russian robot is called Cherno Alpha. Chernobyl isn't in Russia!

"Cherno" is Russian for "black", so it could just be that!

(who am I kidding, its head is obviously a nuclear cooling tower)

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Any resemblance to power plants, active or decommissioned, is purely coincidental.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Where the gently caress do any of the Pacific Rim robot names come from? Cherno is probably the closest one to making any kind of sense.

Seriously the US official robot is called "Gypsy Danger" ?? That ... seems a bit racist? :v:

My original guess was that it was military alphabet code for some G.D. acronym (like GOD drat ROBOT or something) but that'd be Golf Delta, not Gypsy Danger.

Japan's is called "Coyote Tango". Okay what in the gently caress? First of all, that's a terrible name for a giant robot. Its not intimidating at all. Maybe just "Coyote" or something like "Ghost Coyote" and now we're talking. But its Japanese. Is that a translation? "Tango" is a translation? So was the name "Japanese Fox Dancer" if you translated it directly or something? Or did they just name it in English?

Australia's is called "Striker Eureka" which is again a loving horrible name. Striker is okay but Eureka? Great scott!

China's is "Crimson Tide" which just makes me think of tampon commercials. Probably the most intimidating name of the lot, and Crimson has maybe something to do with China? Its all over their flags and stuff. Its a lovely connection but again, and a tide isn't exactly very intimidating, but they do fight in the water so its the best of the lot. Just shows you how wholly terrible they all are.

Maybe the wiki will have some information

quote:

In the original screenplay for Pacific Rim, Gipsy Danger's key signifier and namesake was the image of a pinup decal featuring a "buxom Gipsy riding a bomb". Respectively, its pilots, "Raleigh Antrobus" and Mako Mori, were referred to as "Roma 1" or "Roma 2"[11], "Roma" being the short hand term for the Romani people that live in Europe, the Americas and Asia.[12]

However, prior and shortly after the film's release July 12, 2013, information slowly began to circulate among fans that the etymology behind the term "Gipsy" was in fact pejorative.[13] "Gipsy" is a British variant spelling of the word "Gypsy"[14]. The term, and the casual reference to theft, "Gypped"[15], is an ethnic slur used to refer to the Romani people.[16]

:downs:

Just massive ignorance and really terrible awkward naming. loving great work guys. The wiki goes on to say it was named for some WW-2 engine designer and the guy had no clue that it was a race, but then naming the people Roma 1 and Roma 2 kinda makes that all bullshit. It was a pejorative.

Seriously the Jaeger names in Pacific Rim sound like thoroughbred horses. Comeon seabiscuit, comeon Whykickamoocow, comeon daddysprincess you beat that Kaiju!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Aug 11, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Jaeger names were badass actually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Really? I thought they were all painfully stupid, even as I was watching the movie in the theater. I guess I'm just a weirdo.

Then again the whole movie was pretty stupid, but that was kinda the point.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? I thought they were all painfully stupid, even as I was watching the movie in the theater. I guess I'm just a weirdo.

Then again the whole movie was pretty stupid, but that was kinda the point.

If you had a giant, Chinese, three-armed, red Jaeger you would call it something else instead of Crimson Typhoon?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
I like the Jaeger names myself - they generally sound like the kind of vague, utilitarian codenames that military robots would have - but I mean...the Gipsy complaint is legit. I think it's pretty well-known that that's an offensive term in this day and age.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Zaphod42 never reads the names of stuff in Gundam, his head would probably explode.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

quote:

the etymology behind the term "Gipsy" was in fact pejorative

REALLY?!?!?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Are you European? As a dumb fat American child my only exposure to the word "gypsy" was Esmerelda in the Disney version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I wasn't even clear they were an actual group of people, as opposed to a word for "drifter," for many years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patattack posted:

Yeah, I think of Hannibal as taking place in a sort of heightened, magical-realism universe. Logic and the limits of space-time can be skirted around as long as it benefits aesthetics, themes, or storytelling.

Like how Hannibal somehow put a loving tree in the middle of a parking lot with nobody noticing. Or just recently when Will created the elaborate butterfly tableaux out of junk in the wine cellar.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Gypsy just means spooky carnival traveler to most Americans, we don't really have all the other prejudices for the most part

Until I saw some show on TLC about gypsy trailer trash, I didn't even know that was a demographic here

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:downs:

Just massive ignorance and really terrible awkward naming. loving great work guys. The wiki goes on to say it was named for some WW-2 engine designer and the guy had no clue that it was a race, but then naming the people Roma 1 and Roma 2 kinda makes that all bullshit. It was a pejorative.

Seriously the Jaeger names in Pacific Rim sound like thoroughbred horses. Comeon seabiscuit, comeon Whykickamoocow, comeon daddysprincess you beat that Kaiju!

Those words don't mean anything here.

It's like how in Britain they say fag when they really mean Prime Minister.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Old books in our house made me thing swarthy meant "untrustworthy" considering how often they were thieves.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Old books in our house made me thing swarthy meant "untrustworthy" considering how often they were thieves.

Oh man, this too. I thought it meant "big and mean" because characters described that way were always bad people somehow. What a strange coincidence!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Gypsy just means spooky carnival traveler to most Americans, we don't really have all the other prejudices for the most part

Until I saw some show on TLC about gypsy trailer trash, I didn't even know that was a demographic here

Yeah but people do say "I got gipped!" occasionally, and thinking about it the entomology of that is probably pejorative even if its not used that way in the states anymore.

Its like saying "you jewed me on this" except in the states one is politically correct and the other isn't.

Its not like there aren't Romani in the states, we just don't care. :(

Twitch posted:

I hope Zaphod42 never reads the names of stuff in Gundam, his head would probably explode.

You know you can talk straight to me instead of the 3rd person right? And if you think you have examples of ridiculous gundam names, post em? Just saying "haha your head would explode" is pretty dumb.

Like what? Zeta? Zaku? Heavyarms? Wing zero? Gundam names go from badass to dumb, but none of them are pejorative at least :cheeky:

Jokes on you I've seen plenty of Gundam and I don't even know what you're on about.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaphod42 posted:

China's is "Crimson Tide" which just makes me think of tampon commercials. Probably the most intimidating name of the lot, and Crimson has maybe something to do with China? Its all over their flags and stuff. Its a lovely connection but again, and a tide isn't exactly very intimidating, but they do fight in the water so its the best of the lot. Just shows you how wholly terrible they all are.

Crimson Typhoon, which it's called because it's the three-armed one with the buzzsaws. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Polaron posted:

Crimson Typhoon, which it's called because it's the three-armed one with the buzzsaws. :colbert:

Ah, you're right my mistake. Okay that one has a good name then. (Although I already concluded as much) The rest are garbage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Half the usernames on this page would make bitching cool Jaeger names. And the other half has potential if you just randomly mix and match the names.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Grandels Dad would be a sweet jaeger name.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

You know you can talk straight to me instead of the 3rd person right? And if you think you have examples of ridiculous gundam names, post em? Just saying "haha your head would explode" is pretty dumb.

Like what? Zeta? Zaku? Heavyarms? Wing zero? Gundam names go from badass to dumb, but none of them are pejorative at least :cheeky:

Jokes on you I've seen plenty of Gundam and I don't even know what you're on about.

I was just trying to make a joke, no offense was intended. I mean more the names of people from Gundam, than the actual Gundams.

https://jphinano.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/presented-without-comment-a-partial-list-of-silly-gundam-character-names/

Twitch has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Twitch posted:

I was just trying to make a joke, no offense was intended. I mean more the names of people from Gundam, than the actual Gundams.

https://jphinano.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/presented-without-comment-a-partial-list-of-silly-gundam-character-names/

quote:

Agrippa Maintainer
Descartes Shaman
Hallelujah Haptism

Okay there are some pretty loving weird names in here that I hadn't heard.

quote:

Full Frontal

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh what. Anime is weird.

Still, the reason it bothered me so much with the Jaegers is they're like... major sources of pride for a whole country. They cost a major fraction of each country's GDP and their your savior from the Kaiju. So they should probably have pretty politically neutral names, maybe even inspiring.

Like I would expect "OPERATION KAIJU FREEDOM" :911: instead of "Gipsy Danger".

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Aug 11, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Australia's is called "Striker Eureka" which is again a loving horrible name. Striker is okay but Eureka? Great scott!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nerd!

Yeah that's actually kinda clever, good to know.

Way too clever for a dumb movie about giant robots though.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hope we aren't looking for symbolism or meaning in a 100% anime fan service movie

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

I hope we aren't looking for symbolism or meaning in a 100% anime fan service movie

You're just mad that my SN would be a cooler Jager name than yours.

But really the movie was aimed at the typical 12 year old kid. So all the names sound loving awesome if you look at it from a kid view.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was hoping one of them would have a normal name, "This is Cherno Alpha a brutal war machine, this is the great Crimson Typhoon, and this is Jeremy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think at one point they came out and said they basically made the jeager names because they thought they were cool and didnt really think about it until later.

Zaphod42 posted:

Neo Mexico's Tequila Gundam piloted by Chico Rodriquez.

Also come on, "Elbow Smash" is the best Gundam character name.