Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Elephant's foot, alright. But I think those electrical sparks and that dude are photoshopped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Cool. I got that picture off some site that had almost no info except to claim it was inside Chernobyl.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Elephant's foot, alright. But I think those electrical sparks and that dude are photoshopped in.

I don't think it’s a ’shop, just a flash photograph with a long exposure.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Only the Russians would use a gun to shoot off bits of the worlds most radioactive thingy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The americans would design a million-dollar "kinetic impactor" to do the same thing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

These things are an example of something I always wanted to try, but never ever will:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

We were travelling by train from Trondheim to Oslo in Norway a couple of days ago which made a stop here. Bonus points for the name of the village.

Somebody better loving send this to Arbeidstilsynet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Forer posted:

I think this was posted a while ago in the thread but.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365001326/

Every second of this video has an osha problem I'd bet. This is also why I hear so many stories of shoe factories + arm degloving accidents.
:gonk: This is the worst thing that isn't quickly fatal in this thread.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

These things are an example of something I always wanted to try, but never ever will:

Whenever I see them at amusement parks you have to pay extra to ride them and sign a release of liability waiver.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's tolerable but still horrid. One I toured getting my waste water operator cert had some open air screens after the head works. poo poo torrent fresh from the city smelled something fierce. So right after the poo poo torrent reaches the plant it gets screened for stuff that's uh not poo poo or tp and didn't get pulped by the head works pumps. Those pumps can shred 2x4s into tooth picks but condoms and similar products survive.

So glad I'm not a municipal waste water operator that has to clean that poo poo.

At my plant the only places that smell are the rag removal, grit removal, and hauler dump station. The grit removal is a vortex (doesn't work) so I take a rake and flatten out the tiny mound that will be in the dumpster, this smells and takes less than a minute. The rag removal is automatic screw that dumps into a dumpster that I have to rake flat, this smell horrible but it is only takes one minute. Once every couple weeks we have to dump the rag dumpster into a larger dumpster and this smells horrible and takes 3 people.

The churning tanks of poo poo themselves don't smell at all though and I have walked around on top of them eating leftover pizza before. The grinders that most plants use are called Muffin Monsters, because that is the name of the brand, and also to continue in the tradition of making everything sound as retarded as possible.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Sappo569 posted:

Only the Russians would use a gun to shoot off bits of the worlds most radioactive thingy

Such is life in the zone.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Decrepus posted:

The churning tanks of poo poo themselves don't smell at all though and I have walked around on top of them eating leftover pizza before.

Is there a free pizza filter stage up near the front?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

phew, thank you

Like, I knew that since that was the only picture posted that it wasn't some prequel to a gory aftermath (if it was, that would have been posted too)

But seeing that kind of thing seriously tenses me up because it's usually 1-2 seconds before someone gets hosed up

I got a few OSHA stories I've been wanting to share with the thread for a while now; hopefully I'll get time to post em up this week. Featuring ionizing radiation and Iridium-192 and Cobalt-60! (I used to be an industrial radiographer)

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mak0rz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDBjKE6eaE

This happened the same way this summer in Myrtle Beach, but I can't find the video. The cable snapped so hard that it broke the concrete!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Mak0rz posted:

Why not? Seems like you can have an awesome time on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgEn_xQQKI

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Waffle! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDBjKE6eaE

This happened the same way this summer in Myrtle Beach, but I can't find the video. The cable snapped so hard that it broke the concrete!

That kid could've got killed so instantly. Nope not doing that. I bet there are tons of traveling carnival type OSHA videos, those cheap fly by night operations probably have a great safety inspection routine.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Darth123123 posted:

That kid could've got killed so instantly. Nope not doing that. I bet there are tons of traveling carnival type OSHA videos, those cheap fly by night operations probably have a great safety inspection routine.

This site has everything you need.
http://www.rideaccidents.com/

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake is lookin' good.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og_-il-NSKg

43 seconds

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Although actually surprisingly safe, I wouldn't of guessed that the designers would be smart enough to design each elastic strand with a factor of safety of 2+.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Designers might have, but it doesn't matter if Cletus the Carnie makes a meth pipe out of one of the bolts.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Decrepus posted:

The churning tanks of poo poo themselves don't smell at all though and I have walked around on top of them eating leftover pizza before.
I would not have my mouth open within 50 feet of a giant churning tank of poo poo, much less eat anything in that zone.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

At my plant the only places that smell are the rag removal, grit removal, and hauler dump station. The grit removal is a vortex (doesn't work) so I take a rake and flatten out the tiny mound that will be in the dumpster, this smells and takes less than a minute. The rag removal is automatic screw that dumps into a dumpster that I have to rake flat, this smell horrible but it is only takes one minute. Once every couple weeks we have to dump the rag dumpster into a larger dumpster and this smells horrible and takes 3 people.

The churning tanks of poo poo themselves don't smell at all though and I have walked around on top of them eating leftover pizza before. The grinders that most plants use are called Muffin Monsters, because that is the name of the brand, and also to continue in the tradition of making everything sound as retarded as possible.

The smells pretty well pH dependant. Lower pH releases hydrogen sulfide and higher pH releases ammonia. Both kind of suck. It's probably the easiest way of measuring treatment quality too. I imagine you have well-calibrated air monitors everywhere to tell you to cheese it too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Although actually surprisingly safe, I wouldn't of guessed that the designers would be smart enough to design each elastic strand with a factor of safety of 2+.

According to a youtube comment of the clip in the post above you (yes yes, yt comments, I know), one of the people in that ball broke their leg when that cable snapped.

So, yeah. Not that safe.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

According to a youtube comment of the clip in the post above you (yes yes, yt comments, I know), one of the people in that ball broke their leg when that cable snapped.

So, yeah. Not that safe.

Article here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/71007996/luna-park-goers-left-terrified-as-cable-on-ride-snaps-in-france

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, yeah. Not that safe.

Compared to what would have happened f the other line snapped as well, that's very minor?

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

I've heard of being a few bricks short but this is ridiculous

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Compared to what would have happened f the other line snapped as well, that's very minor?

True. I'm still not going in that thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Yawgmoth posted:

I would not have my mouth open within 50 feet of a giant churning tank of poo poo, much less eat anything in that zone.

So you keep your mouth closed 24/7 at home? A toilet is just a mini churning tank of poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So you keep your mouth closed 24/7 at home? A toilet is just a mini churning tank of poo poo.

You should probably flush yours once in a while

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Actually. I'm just kind of speculating here, but the most likely point for the lines to snap is when they're at maximum tension, yes? And that occurs when the pod is going the slowest, on its downward position: either when they've pulled it down for launch, or when it's on its first drop after launch. If both lines snapped at that point, the pod probably just drops a few feet from an at-rest velocity and not that big of a deal.

Having just one line snap was likely more dangerous, because there was enough power in one line to raise the pod up to a good height while also slamming it into one of the supports, and then the pod drops with just one line slowing it down.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is why I usually poo poo in the shower drain. Toilets are gross.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

ThePriceIsRight posted:

This is why I usually poo poo in the shower drain. Toilets are gross.

I wipe my rear end using the stream from the shower. I poo poo then immediately take a shower. I hate the grease it leaves on the shower floor. It makes the water bubble up and it's slippery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tony Homo posted:

I wipe my rear end using the stream from the shower. I poo poo then immediately take a shower. I hate the grease it leaves on the shower floor. It makes the water bubble up and it's slippery.

I'M TRYING TO EAT A BROWNIE

DAMMIT MAN

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Don't know if this counts as an Osha thing, but i work in a retail store. Just had a couple truck batteries take a tumble and Crack open leaking ALL their acid into a nice size puddle. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to call the EPA for that much battery acid. Instead they just dumped some chemical cleanup powder on it and threw the bag of powdered acid in the trash.

I tried to get a picture of both the acid and then later the bag but the manager caught me and got pissy that I had my phone out and that it was locked up...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A couple of years ago at work we were doing a fire drill and it turned out that the fire door was used so infrequently it was stuck shut.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Don't know if this counts as an Osha thing, but i work in a retail store. Just had a couple truck batteries take a tumble and Crack open leaking ALL their acid into a nice size puddle. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to call the EPA for that much battery acid. Instead they just dumped some chemical cleanup powder on it and threw the bag of powdered acid in the trash.

I tried to get a picture of both the acid and then later the bag but the manager caught me and got pissy that I had my phone out and that it was locked up...

blackmail or bread line, your choice

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Not a piano, though.

Did get saved for slides on "don't get under suspended loads"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

grimcreaper posted:

Unless it was 1000 pounds of acid, that all seems above board.

• Locked thread