Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I was going to go with a statistical anomaly pick, but noticed a pretty decent D-man sill on the board.

Dan Girardi

Plays big minutes, never gets hurt, and signed for the rest of his life.

Palat - Dubinsky - Kessel
Kulemin - Granlund - ???
??? - Schenn - ???
??? - ??? - ???

Ellis - Seabrooke
Bogosian - Giardi
??? - ???

Lu
???

I'm a bit heavy on the right side with the D, but there are worse problems to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah there's not a ton of good RHD left. He's probably one of the best left for sure.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah there's not a ton of good RHD left. He's probably one of the best left for sure.

Yeah, I was surprised to see him still available considering some of the more reaching picks this round. Still a handful of good defenders out there.

Someone going to pick Babs yet?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, I was surprised to see him still available considering some of the more reaching picks this round. Still a handful of good defenders out there.

This may have something to do with it.
"Slightly better than Rob Scuderi" isn't really what you're looking for in a top 4 d-man.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I agonized over this one, because as was mentioned, the D selection is getting kind of rough.

I actually almost made a huge mistake with this pick, because for some reason I thought Wiercioch was already taken. He's not, so I'm taking him.

I like Patrick Wiercioch a lot, and think he's really done a good job under trying circumstances (questionable defensive usage across the board here in Ottawa). He's finally coming into his own.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
drat, I thought I had a decent shot at him if he made it past you.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm here, just trying to figure out my pick. Uggggh.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Scott Hannan is still, inexplicably, available. Snatch him up before we come to our senses.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Habibi posted:

Scott Hannan is still, inexplicably, available. Snatch him up before we come to our senses.

I think I took him as my 7th D-Man two years ago. Nooooooooooooope.

Instead, St. Louis did some digging to find a decent 2nd pairing defenceman. Then someone mentioned that trade we hosed up with Pittsburgh. So let's use our mulligan here and bring Ian Cole back to St. Louis.

YOU HEAR THAT IAN? YOU CAN'T BE FRIENDS WITH CROSBY AFTER ALL.

Pos: Defence
Contract: $2,100,000/yr through 2017-18.

Okay, so maybe trading him for Robert Bortuzzo wasn't such a loving hot idea. Granted, the real Blues have a ton of depth on the back end and felt they needed to bring in a more physical player, but Robert loving Bortuzzo? loving hell...

Ian Cole is way loving better than Bort. While both were deployed as third-pairing defencemen for the majority of last season, Cole actually produced like a Top 4 player. He may not have the brute strength of, say, oh robert Bortuzzo, bu he's got the makeup of a true shutdown defenceman. While he'll never be a great goal scorer, he's very good at moving the puck. On top of that, he is a solid shot suppressor that should help our still-in-progress PK units. While yes, he's a lefty shot, he seems to do well on the right side, so hopefully that won't bother him too much

WHAT THE HELL WILL BUSCH GARDENS DO WITH ALL THESE "BORT" LICENSE PLATE KEYCHAINS?

C. Kreider - M. Koivu - G. Nyquist
T. Pearson - C. McDavid - A. Burakovsky

M. Vlasic - K. Shattenkirk
B. McNabb - I. Cole

S. Mason

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 11, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure what I like more, seeing a huge run on the position I was going to take next right after I pick, or massive runs of nobody picking anything for hours.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lazerwolf is up with his timer starting at 10 since verviticus (and also stickarts) are in skip mode

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Alright, back from the great outdoors and excited to resume my hockey vision quest. First up, the BB's would like to welcome the incomparable Darren Helm into the fold. Fast, versatile, and not old enough to remember the 80s. He could be my ideal third line center, or slot in on the wing. Hopefully he is done getting hosed up and I can squeeze a few useful yearsout of his body before he prematurely ages into Setoguchian oblivion.

Next up is Patrick Eaves. Gotta admit I was shocked at how lovely his career stats are. I thought he was more productive than that. However, in Dallas, I mean Boston heh heh, he is gettig fed offensive minutes on the most offensively geared team in the league. His numbers will reflect that. My exacting and flawless formula might be scraping the barrel a bit on this one. Too late.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Eaves was a third / fourth line player in Ottawa and while I like him he never showed anything to indicate he would be more than a third / fourth line player. He's kind of good at stuff, but doesn't excel at anything, and he's just very bleh.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Will select Martin Jones. He's going to start in San Jose. We like his numbers and his price tag

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

lazerwolf posted:

Minnesota Will select Martin Jones. He's going to start in San Jose. We like his numbers and his price tag

oh darn that was actually my pick as well... what are the odds. I have to go find another decent bet at goaltender guys, be right back.

**I don't have access to the spreadsheet, has Halak been taken yet? He's not a very good goaltender but he plays for an excellent team so I'll bet on the overall quality of the Islanders to get him some wins and some good stats this year.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 11, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Halak works. Drunk Canuck is up.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

e: nvm, im dumb

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium is up

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Los Angeles Kings select D Alexei Emelin

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Barf

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Los Angeles Kings select D Alexei Emelin

bwhahahahahahahahahahaha

the second worst dman in the nhl imo

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

That's a lot of hometown bias from you.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

That's a lot of hometown bias from you.

notice I said second worst.

Worst being Sbisa :)

edit: You REALLY don't know how terrible Emelin actually is

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Nashville Predators are proud to bring home Toronto favourite TieMax Domi. He's poised to enter the NHL this coming season, can play center or wing and has some pretty solid looking abilities. He's been very impressive at tournaments and has dominated the WHL. He will fit in well on my tiny team of tiny people.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

The Nashville Predators are proud to bring home Toronto favourite TieMax Domi. He's poised to enter the NHL this coming season, can play center or wing and has some pretty solid looking abilities. He's been very impressive at tournaments and has dominated the WHL. He will fit in well on my tiny team of tiny people.

oh my god, people actually picking on time, this is sorcery and demonry at its finest

Ginette Reno is up

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

I think I took him as my 7th D-Man two years ago. Nooooooooooooope.

Instead, St. Louis did some digging to find a decent 2nd pairing defenceman. Then someone mentioned that trade we hosed up with Pittsburgh. So let's use our mulligan here and bring Ian Cole back to St. Louis.

Cole is an interesting player. He was awesome for the Pens, and his possession numbers over the past three years have been quite strong. His possession numbers were still good on the Pens where he got a lot more minutes than he had with the Blues.

This year he will likely be (at least initially) leaned on as a top 4 defenseman on the Pens, so we'll see if he can keep it up. I expect he'll get the same sort of offensive and general recognition boost that Matt Niskanen got when he got on the Pens. Both guys were always capable of being good defensemen but didn't take off offensively or otherwise until they were actually given minutes.

e: I'm going to go with Leon Draisaitl. He should be on the Oilers again this season, and I've read that he might play some wing as well, so he figures to be a versatile player for my team. He obviously struggled mightily last year but who on that poo poo heap of a team didn't? He was a hyped prospect and when he went back to juniors he proceeded to tear it up again so I'll bank on him figuring it out sooner or later at the NHL level.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that brings up T-Bone

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gonna go with another Jet who should be comfortable in a 2nd or 3rd line role as he can score at a solid rate and does a good job at prevention:

Alexander Burmistrov

probably not the lines but:

E.Staal-J.Staal-Ehlers
JVR-Burmistrov-Henrique

Karlsson-DeKeyser
Pouliot-Murray

Rask

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 11, 2015

stab
Feb 12, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Gonna go with another Jet who should be comfortable in a 2nd or 3rd line role as he can score a solid rate and does a good job at prevention:

Alexander Burmistrov

fuckkkkkkkkkkkk yoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

stab posted:

fuckkkkkkkkkkkk yoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

T-Bone posted:

Gonna go with another Jet who should be comfortable in a 2nd or 3rd line role as he can score at a solid rate and does a good job at prevention:

Alexander Burmistrov

E.Staal-J.Staal-Ehlers
JVR-Burmistrov-Henrique

Karlsson-DeKeyser
Pouliot-Murray

Rask

gently caress. You.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the tastiest beverage of all, RC Cola, is up

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

stab posted:

notice I said second worst.

Worst being Sbisa :)

edit: You REALLY don't know how terrible Emelin actually is

I refuse to believe that Emelin is worse than Andrew MacDonald or Nick Grossmann.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Ginette Reno posted:

Cole is an interesting player. He was awesome for the Pens, and his possession numbers over the past three years have been quite strong. His possession numbers were still good on the Pens where he got a lot more minutes than he had with the Blues.

His success in Pittsburgh pretty much convinced me to take him. There were quite a few players who had similar possession numbers, but a lot of them seemed to be really mistake prone or are too offence oriented for my liking. Cole had solid numbers and did well even when he was paired with human cement block Rob Scuderi, so I'm pretty optimistic he'll do well.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

T-Bone posted:

Alexander Burmistrov

E.Staal-J.Staal-Ehlers
JVR-Burmistrov-Henrique

Karlsson-DeKeyser
Pouliot-Murray

Rask

He doesn't score at a second line rate though

He's very good at prevention/shutdown though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Of course a Devils fan picks a guy who hosed off to Russia but actually came back.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Technetium posted:

He doesn't score at a second line rate though

He's very good at prevention/shutdown though

I think he would do fine as a 2C with JVR/Henrique although I wouldn't mind grabbing another F who can score -- maybe keep Henrique as a 2C or move JS down to 2C I dunno we'll see

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Alexander Burmistrov

E.Staal-J.Staal-Ehlers
JVR-Burmistrov-Henrique

Karlsson-DeKeyser
Pouliot-Murray

Rask

I'm not a big fan of the D (but EK makes up for so much...) but otherwise I like this team a lot. E Staal is so underrated because of how poo poo the canes are.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You don't like DeKeyser?

Pouliot/Murray as a 3/4 is a risk for sure but I think they both end up playing top 4 minutes for their respective teams this year. Just hopefully good top 4 minutes. EK/Rask is a pretty big equalizer anyway.

e: also as someone else said RWs are poo poo and I've got no natural RWs. Henrique/The Staals/Burmistrov prefer C although EStaal and Henrique have played LW extensively in the past year. Ehlers and JVR are pure LWs I believe.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

You don't like DeKeyser?

Pouliot/Murray as a 3/4 is a risk for sure but I think they both end up playing top 4 minutes for their respective teams this year. Just hopefully good top 4 minutes. EK/Rask is a pretty big equalizer anyway.

I'm not a huge DeKeyser fan, no. I don't like him paired with Erik in particular.

And yeah I'm the biggest Rask fan in SAS probably so that makes up a lot.

• Locked thread