Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That's life. My org didn't think that their goddamn summer brochures ready for summer was any big deal, were subsequently baffled sales were worse this year than last.

haha

ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That's life. My org didn't think that their goddamn summer brochures ready for summer was any big deal, were subsequently baffled sales were worse this year than last.

haha

ha

Þetta reddast.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Well Iceland, I am here for the week.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Max posted:

That's nice. Anything in particular you feel like doing? I'll be working like a mofo far away from the city until Wednesday but I might have time for dinner tomorrow or then.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The first part of our trip was highly regimented, so for Iceland we have adopted a "whatever" schedule for the week. We'll probably just drive out to the country at some point, and do the Blue Lagoon at some point, just because.

But yes, dinner would be cool tomorrow. I think we were just going to hang around Reykjavik.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Max posted:

please don't poop everywhere
tia

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

please don't poop everywhere
tia

More specifically, don't light your toilet paper on fire.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Is that a problem that actually exists here?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Max posted:

Is that a problem that actually exists here?
No, but the media thinks it is. There is a real problem of inadequate facilities considering the number of tourists and how no-one seems to want to actually do something about it however! Reykjavík has literally zero public toilets, to give you an idea of how dumb the people organizing things are.

But yea, meet me around 19 near the Harpa; I'll be wearing a red jacket and am hairy~

Max
Nov 30, 2002

No, but the media thinks it is. There is a real problem of inadequate facilities considering the number of tourists and how no-one seems to want to actually do something about it however! Reykjavík has literally zero public toilets, to give you an idea of how dumb the people organizing things are.

But yea, meet me around 19 near the Harpa; I'll be wearing a red jacket and am hairy~

Cool. My wife and I will meet you out front. I'll have a long blue coat on.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Reykjavík has literally zero public toilets, to give you an idea of how dumb the people organizing things are.

Reykjavik has 1 public toilet (in front of Hallgrimskirkja)! I even took a picture of it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Max posted:

Cool. My wife and I will meet you out front. I'll have a long blue coat on.

I'd meet up too, but too close to my son's bedtime. Next time goonies!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

Reykjavik has 1 public toilet (in front of Hallgrimskirkja)! I even took a picture of it.

I thought those cost money though? Doesn't sound like a public utility to me.

poopinmymouth posted:

I'd meet up too, but too close to my son's bedtime. Next time goonies!
Awww, well you coulda had rad Pakistani food, mayhaps at a later date. You, too, could have discovered the weird wonder that is a hairy Icelander.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Basic question - how is "þið" used - mixed group, male group, female group, what?

Or is it more like the equivalent of "y'all", gender neutral?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

When you address a group you're not part of, you use "þið" regardless of genders.

When talking about a group which you are not addressing but you are not part of, you use "þeir" for a group with just men, "þær" with just women, "þau" with both genders.

When talking about a group you're part of, regardless of if you're addressing it or not, you use "við".

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 6, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So basically - in English - y'all, they, and we respectively? Thanks so much!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Iced Cocoa posted:

When you address a group you're not part of, you use "þið" regardless of genders.

When talking about a group which you are not addressing but you are not part of, you use "þeir" for a group with just men, "þær" with just women, "þau" with both genders.

When talking about a group you're part of, regardless of if you're addressing it or not, you use "við".

The only one I get consistently right is Þær for some reason. :-(

Don't forget þeim, þeirra, etc. and don't get me started on colors, respecting plural/singular for adjectives? ungggggggggg

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Don't forget the two yes...es? Já & jú :)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Not every language is lucky enough to have "Y'all" in it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Grindavik is kind of a shithole. Nothing to do but hit the gym and go swimming and I don't have Internet yet. We're going bowling with the company on Friday though so here's hoping the bar scene is ok.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

This is one of the easier peculiarities for me to remember, for whatever reason.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Grindavik is kind of a shithole. Nothing to do but hit the gym and go swimming and I don't have Internet yet. We're going bowling with the company on Friday though so here's hoping the bar scene is ok.

Sounds like heaven ;) No wonder Iceland dominates WSM

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Shithole is a bit strong, it's a small town and suffers slightly from being close to much bigger towns.

Not having internet yet though is lovely, it should really only take a week for them to connect it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The issue has been getting my "kennetalla" or however it's spelt. I got it today though so I'll be ordering later today. Bandwidth caps suck but someone told me there's one service without caps but limited to 15/15mb which isn't too bad honestly. It'll handle Netflix just fine.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha no, yea, coming from someone who knows plenty of people from there Grindavík is, indeed, a dump. It doesn't even have the sole attribute that saved my dump, that it was close to Reykjavík at least.

Kennitala-gettin' is always a hassle in every country. Just read a book until you get them, all the libraries have shitloads of English books.

If you do not read books then tough poo poo son. :colbert:

(or just watch TV)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Demiurge4 posted:

I know the Blue Lagoon is tourist-trap of all tourist-traps but calling that "going swimming" is like living next door to the White House and saying there is an "old government building" nearby.

That metaphor is probably stretched way too far and is too Americentric but dude I love the Blue Lagoon SO HARD

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

No there's a swimming pool with a gym attached a little bit behind netto inside grindavik. Everyone has told me the blue lagoon is overpriced trash so I haven't gone yet.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

No there's a swimming pool with a gym attached a little bit behind netto inside grindavik. Everyone has told me the blue lagoon is overpriced trash so I haven't gone yet.

Sure, it's overpriced, but it's still very nice to go there every once in a while, and since you live close to it you can get a season pass and go as often as you like and pay relatively little.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ehhh, it's ok to go once. See what it's about. It's an experience to be sure.

dor1 posted:

Sure, it's overpriced, but it's still very nice to go there every once in a while, and since you live close to it you can get a season pass and go as often as you like and pay relatively little.
It´s changed a lot in the past year, so I'm not really sure what you'd get there you wouldn't get in the local pool, unless I suppose he wants to meet his countrymen a lot. :v:

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I'm gonna be in Iceland from the 26th November for around a week or so, should be interesting to see how much I can explore considering the weather. I'd be fine just wandering the towns and doing some exploring. Seeing that Theseus guy budget 10k for a month trip is pretty terrifying, I'm spending less than that for an entire hike around Europe.

I'll shout out when i'm there, see if you're about. Always up to meet new goons.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ehh, it gets dark fairly early and the buses will have mostly stopped but you can still catch a lot without leaving the ring road. Just plan well and pick out what you want out of it.

I don't recommend hiking that late in the year though, poo poo is pretty drat dark.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Ehh, it gets dark fairly early and the buses will have mostly stopped but you can still catch a lot without leaving the ring road. Just plan well and pick out what you want out of it.

I don't recommend hiking that late in the year though, poo poo is pretty drat dark.

Planning well and me do not go together! Dark doesn't worry me, I'm used to being a night owl. Torrential rain and gale force winds do. I guess I'll spend a couple days exploring the capital then move out onto the ring road for excursions.

Hiking, yeah. Maybe a little ambitious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't bring children to Iceland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUL8KkRJMI

Icelanders are known as "Yesers" in the neighboring Faroe Islands because of how much we say "já".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fastfood restaurant decor in Iceland weird me the hell out. They all look like really fancy places (by danish standards) but then they serve pizza and not much else. Papas pizza in grindavik has a really nice log wood decor that reminds me of old fashioned British bars for example.

Now I'm out bowling with my coworkers and the restaurant here is super fancy but their menu card is an oversized white postcard with nothing but pizza and an onion rings appetiser.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

FreudianSlippers posted:

Icelanders are known as "Yesers" in the neighboring Faroe Islands because of how much we say "já".

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually refers to you guys as Icelanders here anymore, it's just "jáarar" :) You guys do have this strange obsession with starting almost every sentence with "Já já, ..."

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually refers to you guys as Icelanders here anymore, it's just "jáarar" :) You guys do have this strange obsession with starting almost every sentence with "Já já, ..."

It's either "já já..." or "jæja...."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tja, there may be something to that.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Oh boy, I have a few questions... it'll probably turn into a bunch of questions as they get answered.

A friend and I are coming out to Iceland on Sept 25th and flying out on October 2nd. We each have tents and are planning on renting a car and just heading east about as far as Jökulsárlón and then heading back.

It looks like some campsites are still open along the way, but some close at the end of this month. Information about wild camping is scarce, though. Some sites have people saying you can just pull off the side of the road and camp out, whereas others say it is illegal. I'd like to figure that out before we go. Some recommend knocking on the door at a farm to see if you can camp out in their yard?

Hmm, rather than put out a ton of questions I'll just leave it at that for now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I had no idea the campsites closed. To be honest, most of them them, like in Skógar and Vík, are just an open field and I'm not exactly sure how they'd stop you from camping there.

Basically, you are always allowed to camp on public land; the problem being there's no way for you to tell public and private land apart, except if there are fences up. :v:
I've never heard of anyone being arrested for that, so who cares too much? Just don't mess up the land or tear it up to give you better insulation like some folks did in a protected natural park and you'll be fine.

Knocking on farmers doors should probs be OK. Offer to pay, and if they refuse offer booze. Buy the booze before arriving here. But some folks won't like ya anyway; thems the breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Police aren't really present from what I've seen anyway so even if you camp "illegally" you probably won't get caught, and if there was no outward sign it was private land they'll probably let you off with a warning. If you pass through Grindavik I have a spare room you can shack up in overnight if you'd like and I can show you around a little bit if I have the time.

• Locked thread