Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I had a GSM Galaxy Nexus and it was serviceable but let's not get crazy. It wasn't the Nexus S but it wasn't great. And it was definitely a shitshow with its million variants (with yakju and takju being the "real" ones).

The Sprint version wasn't too bad in the beginning (aside from the LTE radio EATING the battery). It did get treated like a red-headed step child towards the end. But it was always stable and usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 years and it was a piece of poo poo, I'm not sure what's revisionist about that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 years and it was a piece of poo poo, I'm not sure what's revisionist about that.

I had the GN on Verizon and it was the worst phone I've ever owned, and I had the thunderbolt.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I got 5.1 on my 2nd Gen Moto X a couple months ago, and for awhile things were noticeably better. 5.0's crippling slowness was certainly better, at least.

But then, starting last week, things got weird. Bluetooth is now rarely working: can't sync with my car or my fitbit. Restarting the phone usually helps, but only for a few minutes. Battery life is also definitely worse.

I know every release has its quirks, but does this sound like a software issue, or something up with the phone itself?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
gently caress the VZW Gnex forever. It is the bastard child of phones and it should never have existed.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

I got 5.1 on my 2nd Gen Moto X a couple months ago, and for awhile things were noticeably better. 5.0's crippling slowness was certainly better, at least.

But then, starting last week, things got weird. Bluetooth is now rarely working: can't sync with my car or my fitbit. Restarting the phone usually helps, but only for a few minutes. Battery life is also definitely worse.

I know every release has its quirks, but does this sound like a software issue, or something up with the phone itself?

Try a factory reset. I updated to 5.1 when I got the phone fresh and it's been great.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Logikv9 posted:

gently caress the VZW Gnex forever. It is the bastard child of phones and it should never have existed.

I have one sitting in a drawer somewhere. It was pretty bad. Lucky to last 5 hours off the charger when it was in use.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Got the Diztronic case for my Moto G3. It's alright. It's not quite as 'grippy' as I was honestly hoping but it's still an improvement, and I feel like if I dropped this phone on tile or something it would survive better, so that's a plus. It's an unbranded black rubber thing you put around your phone so I guess mission accomplished.

Also, if you get this phone, buy (it's like two bucks) from the Play store an app called Snap Camera HDR, it's a huge improvement over the stock camera software, which honestly kinda blows.

With Snap Camera HDR:

Aside from their heads (they are both grooming themselves right now, so they are moving quite quickly :3:) the rest of them are fairly sharp, and for a low light picture the detail of the cat tree, wall, stuff out the window etc I think it's really nice.

With Motorola Camera:

poo poo.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 11, 2015

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Logikv9 posted:

I traded the GN to some guy for an iPhone 4 which was worth $100 more, even though it was already a year or so older .. or maybe even more I can't remember.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I had a GSM Galaxy Nexus and it was serviceable but let's not get crazy. It wasn't the Nexus S but it wasn't great. And it was definitely a shitshow with its million variants (with yakju and takju being the "real" ones).
I'm happy to accept that every single other variant was a shitheap (I never used any becuase I don't live in a stupid country but enough other people seem to hold that opinion) but the GSM one really had no significant issues other than the SoC choice which meant it only got two years of updates, a significantly better lifespan than most other phones of its era. My brother was still using my GSM GNex until earlier this year and the battery life was obviously poo poo by that point and the NAND was dying but other than this expected degradation it was still working.

The GSM GNex: a good phone.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I haven't gotten the stagefright update yet, but apparently a friend with an unlocked/rooted Nexus 5 was able to take it OTA instead of flashing it. Maybe there's some hope that in the future we'll see security updates that don't have to go through manufacturers and carriers.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The only problems I've heard on the Nexus 6 are the quick burn-in and the weird camera pulsing.
I know burn-in is covered under warranty, but is there really that much variation between units that a new one won't burn in just as quickly?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

I haven't gotten the stagefright update yet, but apparently a friend with an unlocked/rooted Nexus 5 was able to take it OTA instead of flashing it. Maybe there's some hope that in the future we'll see security updates that don't have to go through manufacturers and carriers.
Updates for unlocked Nexus devices already don't go through carriers, though Google have given handwavey answers about this in the past which suggest that they do work with carriers to test updates where the device is sold by them directly, even though it's unlocked. Updates will always have to come from the phone OEM though. Google can't patch a Samsung (or whatever) phone if the issue is in the OS because they don't maintain the codebase for the OS that runs on Samsung phones.

All of the major OEMs (Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony) have commited to monthly security patches from now on, so we'll see how that goes. I suspect we'll frequently see them get stuck in carrier testing, at least in the US where carriers just love branding up all the phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

The GSM GNex: a good phone.

Please don't troll

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

GWBBQ posted:

Aww you gave me hope I could be lazy, but nope. OTA doesn't work on stock rooted T-mobile Nexus 6. Image is out anyways so not a big deal just takes slightly more effort.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
System Update on my N6...?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Chill Penguin posted:

stagefright ota.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't troll

I enjoyed my time with my VZW GNex because every other phone with LTE on Verizon was absolutely awful - it was toooons better than the Samsung Charge I had before it, and I'd easily take it over the Thunderbolt. Pretty sure the Nexus had the best battery life of any of them, and performance was obviously way way better than 2011 (?) era Samsung and HTC. None of them were good obviously, but 3G on Verizon was really bad and all the other LTE phones were worse than the Nexus.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chill Penguin posted:

Something retro on my necklace

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

I enjoyed my time with my VZW GNex because every other phone with LTE on Verizon was absolutely awful - it was toooons better than the Samsung Charge I had before it, and I'd easily take it over the Thunderbolt. Pretty sure the Nexus had the best battery life of any of them, and performance was obviously way way better than 2011 (?) era Samsung and HTC. None of them were good obviously, but 3G on Verizon was really bad and all the other LTE phones were worse than the Nexus.

Yeah slapping a extended battery into that phone made it much more tolerable. I had the Charge and Thunderbolt but those were two terrible, terrible phones.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't troll

He's not trolling. I had the GNex on Bell Canada, and got a legit 2 years out of it. Sold the thing for $75. Pretty sure the LTE variant was utter poo poo, but there were so many worse LTE phones back then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I sold my GSM GNex 6 months after I bought it...to get a new N4. The GSM GNex was a good phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Can confirm GSM Galaxy Nexus was a good phone, IF you got one without any build issues.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I had a GNex for more than 2 years, and one of the major reasons I bought it was that the consensus here on SA was that it was the best bang-for-the-buck phone at the time. Of course, back then there weren't very many reasonable options for new phones in the $200-400 range.

It was certainly showing it's age when I ditched it earlier this year, but I don't regret buying one. It did cure me of the notion (again, likely inspired by SA and other online resources) that Nexus phones were somehow magical unicorns with great hardware and software though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I only ditched my GNex a week ago (Google Play edition, T-Mobile) and it was definitely as solid as you can expect. Sure, it could only run one app at a time, but it could still basically run them. Even though at the end of its life, the keyboard was so laggy I actually preferred voice dictation.

Considering the absolutely insane rate of advance in smartphone/app technology during the 4 years since the GNex came out, it's kind of amazing it lasted as long as it did. I'm thinking/hoping things have leveled off a bit, but... I guess we'll see.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, maybe I had bad hardware or something? It had a loving awful display, atrocious battery life even with a larger official one I imported from South Korea, was prone to random crashes/reboots, and just a general piece of poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I went Droid Incredible - GNex - MAXX - Turbo on VZW and have been pretty happy with each iteration. I did get the free extended battery from Costco so that helped the GNex quite a bit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I went AT&T Infuse -> GSM Gnex (Europe unlocked import or something) -> HTC One M7 and I've been fine with everything battery life wise though I did go kinda crazy with the Infuse with custom builds/whatever.

Though the HTC One is a little banged up now and there's a speck of dirt stuck in the camera. Looking at the Moto X Pure and the new 5ish inch Nexus.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, maybe I had bad hardware or something? It had a loving awful display, atrocious battery life even with a larger official one I imported from South Korea, was prone to random crashes/reboots, and just a general piece of poo poo.

My display wasn't great (had a green/yellow cast, developed a permanent "texture" of rows of lighter colored lines horizontally across the screen), the keyboard would frequently force close or just not appear when tapping on text fields, and it was often a struggle to make it through the day without charging.

So I guess objectively it was pretty terrible.

However, it did what I wanted it to do for 2 years of extremely heavy use and it never really died on me. And all of the issues I mention didn't occur new out of the box, but happened slowly over the course of its lifespan. Comparatively, I watched my wife's iphone 4 die a similar slow death over the course of years, so I just expect consumer electronics to suck as they get old. Or maybe my standards are just low.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

The vertical line of green at the left side of the display when viewing anything white always pissed me off. That's the only thing the Samsung Charge had over the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. 800x480 RGB AMOLED was a lot better than 1280x720 pentile AMOLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The screen on the Galaxy Nexus was terrible. It didn't even have a consistent black level. It was an OLED screen with an inconsistent black level. Blech.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The screen on the Galaxy Nexus was terrible. It didn't even have a consistent black level. It was an OLED screen with an inconsistent black level. Blech.

Compared to Moto's displays at the time, it was amazing, haha. Man, the Bionic was awful to look at.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Moto G order status has been at Order Complete since 8/6 and has not moved to Shipped yet. I cannot stop myself from checking every few hours. Motorola is successfully driving me insane.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FistEnergy posted:

My Moto G order status has been at Order Complete since 8/6 and has not moved to Shipped yet. I cannot stop myself from checking every few hours. Motorola is successfully driving me insane.

Don't be surprised if your phone just shows up one day without a tracking number showing in the system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

Compared to Moto's displays at the time, it was amazing, haha. Man, the Bionic was awful to look at.

Bionic maybe, but the lower resolution OLED panel on my Droid Razr kicked the poo poo out of the galaxy nexus and even it was pentile.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I need a phone rather soon before the iphone 6s gets announced and causes my trade value to plummet. My priorities are price under 300 unlocked, Battery Life, Camera, day to day performance in that order. I've been looking at the Idol 3, the new moto g seems nice but that camera seems abysmal and that's a possible dealbreaker. Also whats goon experience with swappa?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
New Moto G has a camera that seems to be praised though???

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pocket now savaged the camera in thier review...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I had a Droid Incredible before my GNex so I was greatly let down with the GNex. It was awful. Mine had a nasty habit of catching the ole sleep of death in the middle of the night and loving up my alarm. I went to a Lumia 928 after that which was heavenly, and then a 13 Moto X which was heavenlier, and now I'm on a Turbo which has good specs and is a solid overall phone but I find the things that make the moto x cool are sorely lacking on the Turbo which is supposed to have the same features-- voice dictation never works for me, the neat "connect to bluetooth and do this" features seem to have disappeared with the Lollipop update for me, etc.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bob A Feet posted:

I had a Droid Incredible before my GNex so I was greatly let down with the GNex. It was awful. Mine had a nasty habit of catching the ole sleep of death in the middle of the night and loving up my alarm. I went to a Lumia 928 after that which was heavenly, and then a 13 Moto X which was heavenlier, and now I'm on a Turbo which has good specs and is a solid overall phone but I find the things that make the moto x cool are sorely lacking on the Turbo which is supposed to have the same features-- voice dictation never works for me, the neat "connect to bluetooth and do this" features seem to have disappeared with the Lollipop update for me, etc.

Just remain smug at having the biggest battery of any phone, that's that I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

kensei posted:

I went Droid Incredible - GNex - MAXX - Turbo on VZW and have been pretty happy with each iteration. I did get the free extended battery from Costco so that helped the GNex quite a bit.

I did almost this same progression, and apparently you had the unicorn of VZW GNex's. Mine had awfiul battery life from day one, but it was good while the battery lasted. The day that I dropped it on a concrete floor and smashed the screen was my happiest day of GNex ownership. Instead of the Turbo, I'm going with an unlocked Moto X on VZW.