Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Step 1: Click on "Calendar."
Step 2: Click on "New Meeting."

You just learned how. :colbert:

You forgot to add a conference room. YOU LOSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Like all things in IT, what separates a lovely or mediocre admin from a good one is knowledge outside of their silo. I don't expect a systems guy to know all of the BGP attributes, or how to create a SNORT signature, but I do expect them to know how about things like how broadcast domains and VLANs work, and how to properly troubleshoot connectivity to the wall. And to know when the loving vNIC on their server isn't working.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
Being able to break the problem down into pieces and test stuff is important. I've gone through 3 different help desk guys since I've started this job and I've had to teach them all to actually isolate things and test. Once you can break things down into the appropriate pieces you just pick a direction to start testing. With most end user hardware I start with whether or not the thing is plugged in properly.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Not pissing me off, after about a week or so of storing my bike outside, building management at my office provided me a closet on the hush in the basement.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Not pissing me off, after about a week or so of storing my bike outside, building management at my office provided me a closet on the hush in the basement.

I was going to say you should just ask the building people since they seemed amenable.

Hooray for compromises and good things!

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Thus ends the Folding Bike Saga

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Like all things in IT, what separates a lovely or mediocre admin from a good one is knowledge outside of their silo.

Big companies must be encouraging lovely admins then because I'm catching a lot of poo poo these days simply by telling other people "I've ruled out everything on my side, could you check this/this/that on your side?"

How dare I get in their silo and do their job !?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bob Morales posted:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My out of offices have "couch" as the location.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The guy that took over my job at the old place was given the title "Sr. Manager of I.T." He was told he'd be the "head of I.T." for the company, at least until they finally get that awesome VP of I.T. position filled. That has been open for like, seven months.

Then they immediately bought another company and for unknown reasons kept that company's I.T. Manager. What title did they give him?

"Sr. I.T. Manager"

"No, but you see the old guy is a Sr. Manger of I.T. and the new guy is just a Sr. I.T. Manager!" :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

The guy that took over my job at the old place was given the title "Sr. Manager of I.T." He was told he'd be the "head of I.T." for the company, at least until they finally get that awesome VP of I.T. position filled. That has been open for like, seven months.

Then they immediately bought another company and for unknown reasons kept that company's I.T. Manager. What title did they give him?

"Sr. I.T. Manager"

"No, but you see the old guy is a Sr. Manger of I.T. and the new guy is just a Sr. I.T. Manager!" :v:

Assistant manager
Assistant to the manager

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

"Sr. I.T. Manager"

E:f;b

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Big companies must be encouraging lovely admins then because I'm catching a lot of poo poo these days simply by telling other people "I've ruled out everything on my side, could you check this/this/that on your side?"

How dare I get in their silo and do their job !?

One of the reasons I am so excited about newjob is that we actually get to work with the networking things. It has been a massive weakness, and having worked for big companies before this I was never allowed to have contact with the other teams, so was unable to leech skills from them because it was outside of my silo(I am serious, they didn't want us talking to them, and when I would run into a network guy in the halls and ask questions I would be shut down as trying to move in on their areas)

So yeah, big companies want to keep you a lovely admin who can only just do exactly your job and not one iota more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not even mad, just confused. Why would you send in a ticket as the last thing you do before lunch, saying nothing but to call you?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not even mad, just confused. Why would you send in a ticket as the last thing you do before lunch, saying nothing but to call you?

Called user. Requested work completed. Ticket closed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Other emails I ignore completely at this point: emails directly to me. Unless it is a picture of your kid, a "did you see the game?", or a hilarious image macro, there is positively no reason for anyone to ever email me directly. Email my distro or I am not responding.

What's the easiest way to set something like this up?

I can see the advantages of doing this, and want to try it out. I'd want all replies to go back to the list as well as any external recipients.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

'Convert to live meeting'

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sales people annoy me.

unsolicited sales email posted:

[name], I’m sorry to trouble you. Would you be so kind as to tell me who is responsible for the decisions regarding your telephone and PC headsets and how I might get in touch with them? Thank you, Douch McAsshat Account Executive Idiot Communications, Inc. 123 Fake St Townville, CA 12345

His signature was all on the same line as the body like that, as if he manually typed it out on his Blackberry.

my reply posted:

Absolutely not. Faking extreme politeness does not make unsolicited marketing emails any more acceptable.

gently caress off. Still not as annoying as unsolicited meeting invites for "30 minutes to discuss how we can help you".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

What's the easiest way to set something like this up?

I can see the advantages of doing this, and want to try it out. I'd want all replies to go back to the list as well as any external recipients.
It works best if you receive A LOT of emails. If anyone in this thread receives more email than me, mazel tov, but it'd be difficult. Use this deluge of email as cover to "miss" emails that are directly to you. That's really all it is - it's not some official policy that I blasted out and I don't have an Outlook rule set up. Well, I say I didn't blast it out, but I have replied probably every 3 weeks to an email saying please send this to the IT department, they will take care of you (as though I'm outside of IT). But really it's not much more than using the steady stream of emails I get as cover to ignore emails that don't meet my self-righteous criteria.

I mean to give you an idea of quantity, I get probably 200 emails a day that could use my input. I don't mean 200 emails, that's a drop in a lot of people's buckets. I mean there are 200 emails where I might have something relevant to add. Obviously I can't reply to 200 emails in a day, so I pick 40 and the rest just get taken care of "somehow", I have no idea, I just do what I can.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It works best if you receive A LOT of emails. If anyone in this thread receives more email than me, mazel tov, but it'd be difficult. Use this deluge of email as cover to "miss" emails that are directly to you. That's really all it is - it's not some official policy that I blasted out and I don't have an Outlook rule set up. Well, I say I didn't blast it out, but I have replied probably every 3 weeks to an email saying please send this to the IT department, they will take care of you (as though I'm outside of IT). But really it's not much more than using the steady stream of emails I get as cover to ignore emails that don't meet my self-righteous criteria.

I mean to give you an idea of quantity, I get probably 200 emails a day that could use my input. I don't mean 200 emails, that's a drop in a lot of people's buckets. I mean there are 200 emails where I might have something relevant to add. Obviously I can't reply to 200 emails in a day, so I pick 40 and the rest just get taken care of "somehow", I have no idea, I just do what I can.

I'm up there with you.

We have a global team. Every morning when I sit down, I have ~100 emails for various projects I'm involved in. This ranges from updates on defects and engineering stuff to reports and whatnot. I skim them all, and flag those necessary for my direct input. I usually flag between 5 and 10. I have 7 open right now.

I come in to see ~25 emails in my inbox that need me, personally, and I have to respond to all of those.

Throughout the workday I get an approximately equal number.

So I have ~250 emails I have to at least look at every day, and ~70 or so that need my direct input.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't have an Outlook rule set up.

Aw.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The second best rule. The best rule is to never open Outlook at all.

Speaking of email, when I put in an out of office I seem to get a lot more supercritical emails that need solving yesterday with no one in CC compared to when I'm in the office. When I'm back its supercritical but with everyone and their dead grandmothers in CC, so it's almost like people are trying to cover their asses at my expense.
Anyone else here have that too?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Xerox tech's B.O. is extraordinary. :stare:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When I was a consultant, I received easiliy 200-300 emails a day. If I didn't read each one, I'd miss something critical, since a lot of our projects were going badly all the time. If I missed one shred of info from one email from a customer, my boss would flip out. I maintained a meticulous folder structure by client, project, and vendor, and organized all of my emails. It was a nightmare. One of my favorite parts of my new job is that I hard get any email that matters. I have 20 emails today, and half of them are just automated reporting emails. It's wonderful.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Dick Trauma posted:

Does he also have a goon-style neckbeard?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
poo poo pissing me off: Second office-dc link outage in as many days. Except this time is during our normal business hours.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

I found that was a universal thing with Xerox techs. I finally came to the conclusion that they do it deliberately so they are left alone when onsite.

I hate being watched when I work, but I cannot leave you alone in an otherwise secured area, so get used to it, tech person.

Xerox could probably be a little stronger with any messages to employees about appearance reflecting on the company.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I have 3 electricians here. 2 are morbidly obese. It is summer. Imagine how that smells.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

All our Toshiba MFP techs are extremely polite, well-dressed, clean...hell the last guy was even funny.

Then again, they aren't strictly Toshiba, but rather a small local partner :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

I found that was a universal thing with Xerox techs. I finally came to the conclusion that they do it deliberately so they are left alone when onsite.

I hate being watched when I work, but I cannot leave you alone in an otherwise secured area, so get used to it, tech person.

Xerox could probably be a little stronger with any messages to employees about appearance reflecting on the company.

All the Xerox techs at my old place looked like ex-cons. Probably were.

e: Hell, if I had to work with printers all day, I'd end up in jail too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

He sat in one of my chairs! :gonk:

He had no beard, but the Time Warner tech has one of those hilarious Taliban beards and a Jesse James style ballcap. And huge things stuck in his earlobes.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

kujeger posted:

I've been working in IT for over ten years and I have no idea how to schedule a meeting i Outlook, and I hope I never will have to learn how.

(granted I could probably figure it out pretty fast)

edit: I don't think I've ever had to use Outlook as my email client, come to think of it

What mail client do you use? Outlook is pretty standard these days.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sometimes I get a variation of impostor syndrome wherein I think I'll never be able to make it at the sysadmin / network admin level (I don't have any concerns with where I am now, I already feel above my current position).

But then I see posts like this so often here and see how often some of those people forget the freaking OSI model of troubleshooting 101 and I think I'll be ok.

What's your current position now?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How long do I have to listen to a room full of people struggle to present on a webex before I can just leave the conference call?

This is affecting (my) production.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You guys are missing the two best outlook rules of them all. Any incoming message marked as high importance gets knocked down to low importance and anything with a read receipt automatically gets marked as unread.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How long do I have to listen to a room full of people struggle to present on a webex before I can just leave the conference call?

This is affecting (my) production.

Same rule I always used in school. If class/presentation/whatever hasn't started by 10 minutes after it was supposed to, I'm out. Don't try to find me, I'll be smoking by the big tree out back.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Antioch posted:

Same rule I always used in school. If class/presentation/whatever hasn't started by 10 minutes after it was supposed to, I'm out. Don't try to find me, I'll be smoking by the big tree out back.

PhD professors get 15 minutes, that's the rule :colbert:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jeoh posted:

All the Xerox techs at my old place looked like ex-cons. Probably were.

e: Hell, if I had to work with printers all day, I'd end up in jail too.

So is it:

Jail time and then a career in printers.

A career in printers then jail time.

?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

DaRealAce posted:

What's your current position now?

Help Desk Manager. Which like most IT job titles is kind of meaningless - I'm basically a team lead over three desktop support technicians, I handle their escalations, back-up server admin, and I spec out and purchase equipment for our building (300+ people).

I would consider a job change to Jr. Network/Server Admin or something like that to be a slight promotion. I've reached my technical peak here as far as what I can learn, and I don't really have anyone with more experience than me that I work with on a regular basis. That said the environment's still good, certification training/exams are paid for, and it's part of a bigger organization.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You guys are missing the two best outlook rules of them all. Any incoming message marked as high importance gets knocked down to low importance and anything with a read receipt automatically gets marked as unread.

Sup high importance getting marked as normal importance rule buddy.

Another one I'm quite proud of is one to mark emails where I am a CC instead of a To as read so they don't trigger any notifications on any devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

Sup high importance getting marked as normal importance rule buddy.

Another one I'm quite proud of is one to mark emails where I am a CC instead of a To as read so they don't trigger any notifications on any devices.
See I think a lot of people make the distinction between CC and TO but I actually don't.

I also seem to see a lot of people who treat a distro and their name differently. Like I see people who will have the distro "SH/SC IT" in the TO line, but then be like "Adding ThanksAnts" and put them individually in the TO line to get the person's attention.